• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight Preview , new screens

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm ignoring the fact that Sonic is in this game and looking at it as it's own seperate game - it looks fine so far and the fewer attempts there are at claiming this is a return to form for the series the better, since there is less chance of being disappointed by it.

I tried the Sonic Unleashed demo yesterday and it was pretty fun, but I feel if it was less compared to Sonic games of old and acclaimed for it's own merits I think people would be less inclined to think bad of it - as a Sonic game it's still kind of a letdown, but as anything else it'd be rather entertaining.

So I'm going to pretend that's Alex Kidd or Wonder Boy running around in those lovely screenshots instead of the blue hedgehog, so I don't have anything to compare it to and consequently be let down by when it doesn't live up to what is basically now a dead dream.

Wizpig

Link Man said:
Except the cycle seems to be running in reverse for this game.
Yup :)
Exactly my thoughts.
We have 3 "shitty" [they are not shitty at all compared to Omega, Rouge or those characters] friends but they are OPTIONAL and anyways they are usually portrayed as "almost fast as Sonic", so the gameplay will be the same.
There's just no reason to troll this game, IMHO.
Except maybe this

soniccoverch2.jpg

:lol Storybook series
[who am i kidding, i like the idea :( i just don't like THIS setting]

NTom64

FTWer said:
Where is that from?

It's from the very first trailer of 06.

EDIT: That particular scene wasn't in this trailer for some reason (really cannot find it anywhere), but trust me when I say it's from 06.

On a side note, why does Sonic's model look better in that trailer than the long-Sonic shit they ended up with? He's always looks angry, as well. Then again, he's in 06 so that makes sense really :lol

The new NP is already out, and it contains a single-page preview of the game.

New shots... with Shadow! :D

Here's the summary, posted by a user named Staf, from a not-so-well-known Sonic fansite. I'd reveal the name, but the very page that this summary is from includes a scan...:

The Feb. 2009 Nintendo Power has a small bit about the Black Knight in it. A couple interesting facts from it:

It uses woodcut-esque cut-scenes aside from the opening movie (like Sonic and the Secret Rings did with storybook scenes).

Shadow is Sir Lancelot, Knuckles is Sir Gawain, and Amy Rose is the Lady of the Lake.

Shadow and Knuckles are playable in the multiplayer battles after you’ve defeated them in the one-on-one duels in single player mode.

The multiplayer mode lets you either go sword-to-sword against up to three others in a free-for-all or you team up together to defeat a giant baddie as quickly as possible.

This time around I’ve scanned the entire article instead of just the images for you guys. Aren’t I nice? I suggest you still go out and buy the Feb 2009 issue of Nintendo Power to see the article for yourselves. It also has an interesting reader question. The reader mentions that Sonic X-Treme (the cancelled Sega Saturn game) kind of has a Super Mario Galaxy feeling to it. Chris Slate responds saying that he wrote a cover story on Sonic X-Treme for Game Players back in the day and does see a small resemblence now that he looks back. I wonder if Chris has any other inside info about the game from the press side of things…

EDIT: Staf told me the cover story, and it's...

Phantasy Star 0!!!

Also in the issue, as Staf says:

This issue was an RPG special. The cover story was Phantasy Star 0, but it also had Arc Rise Fantasia, Dragon Quest V, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, and Sands of Destruction, to name a few.

batbeg

So... there's still not going to be a head-to-head racing multiplayer? :( :( :(

Shots look nice. And as one of the few people to like the storybook styled storytelling, I'm happy to see the concept is still in place. I do love the bullshit tone of the article though, which suggests they enjoy the humor or characters in the world.

And dear God, I hope them saying the multiplayer isn't up to par yet isn't a sign of it being farmed out to that shitty German or whatever company that made the minigames in Secret Rings.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
batbeg said:
So... there's still not going to be a head-to-head racing multiplayer? :( :( :(

Shots look nice. And as one of the few people to like the storybook styled storytelling, I'm happy to see the concept is still in place. I do love the bullshit tone of the article though, which suggests they enjoy the humor or characters in the world.

And dear God, I hope them saying the multiplayer isn't up to par yet isn't a sign of it being farmed out to that shitty German or whatever company that made the minigames in Secret Rings.

NOWPRO did the mini-games in SR, and I'm pretty damn sure they're Japanese.

batbeg

Hero of Legend said:
NOWPRO did the mini-games in SR, and I'm pretty damn sure they're Japanese.

So they did. Was passing on second-hand information.

In that case, I sure as fuck hope NOWPRO aren't involved in this. Same difference.

A minor correction on the cutscenes:

They're animated!

Whether they're fully animated like a 2D movie, or that NP was referring to moving panels ala SR specifically isn't clear. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of Legend said:

They're animated!

Whether they're fully animated like a 2D movie, or that NP was referring to moving panels ala SR specifically isn't clear. :(

Screw moving panels, seriously. :/

Hero of Legend said:

They're animated!

FUCK YEAH!

batbeg

abstract alien said:
I kinda liked the moving panels :^/

I loved them.

Fuck it, I'm not a fan of anything in the Sonic universe beyond the games, but for the first time ever, I appreciated the artstyle and I loved unlocking things from the game.

McLovin

Who cares if he has a sword.. its a kids game at the end of the day. Hell the target demographic would probably prefer it if Sonic wore a Jet pack and wielded a bazooka :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Guybrush Threepwood said:
uh... yeah

Especially since it was hyped up as being the best Sonic game since Sonic 3&K

Bwhahaha. :lol Surely you jest.

Coming off of Sonic 2006 no one believed in Secret Rings at all, let alone compared it to any of the old games.

Andrex said:

Coming off of Sonic 2006 no one believed in Secret Rings at all, let alone compared it to any of the old games.
Plus, it was seen as the "cheap side title to the REAL Sonic game on the HD consoles".

Which it was . . . but that was the best choice I have seen Sega make with the series in a long time. Turned out to be way better than the HD game and thats a pretty bad ass out come on it's own (seeing how shitty the HD title was it wasn't that hard).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Andrex said:

Black-Wind said:
Plus, it was seen as the "cheap side title to the REAL Sonic game on the HD consoles".

What the.... You guys weren't even around the internet then, were you? Almost everyone viewed Sonic 2006 has shit and regularly countered that people should just wait for Secret Rings. The hype for Secret Rings was huge in Sonic terms.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
abstract alien said:

:eek:

grandjedi6 said:
What the.... You guys weren't even around the internet then, were you? Almost everyone viewed Sonic 2006 has shit and regularly countered that people should just wait for Secret Rings. The hype for Secret Rings was huge in Sonic terms.

I highly, highly doubt the successor to one of the worst games this gen, and one that was openly admitted to having a much smaller budget, would be hyped as being anything close to as good as Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

grandjedi6 said:
I was on the web back then and I dont remember very much hype for the title compared to 06 before 06 released.

But I do remember people saying it would shit all over 06 once 06 was released (which it did).

disappeared said:
Let's try something here...

sonicminussonic.jpg

If you can still tell this is a Sonic game then...

Ah fuck it, who are we kidding anymore?

I showed these pics to my wife and asked her what game it was. She guessed "the next Morrowind?".

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gaf's opinion on Sonic and the Secret Rings....

BEFORE SONIC 2006:
BobJustBob said:
Where's Sonic Wii? You know, the good one.
RaijinFY said:
Looks really good to me. If I was getting a Wii, I would definitely look for this game.
BostonZelda33 said:
Sonic for the Wii, is going to be a great pick me up and play game.
It doesn't have to be deep and long.

Think about what made Sonic popular in the 16 bit era and what is featured in the Wii version.

-Speed- yup

-lush colorful graphics - yup-

-simple, yet fun controls - yup

-multiple routes and bosses- ?? not yet revealed.

So from my eyes it seems like Sonic and Secret Rings will be a great adventure title for Wii.
AniHawk said:
Best 3D Sonic ever.

AFTER SONIC 2006:

gutter_trash said:
I just got my Wii yesterday!! :D :D :D :D :D
and I got a 40 dollar discount on it!!

I'm ready for Sonic & The Secret Rings, and since it is not the same team that worked on Sonic and Shitty Friends next gen, I'm confident that Sonic Wii will be really good.
AniHawk said:
On February 21, Sega will be born again.

Welcome back, guys.

okay, so it's just two games. BUT STILL
Evilink said:
I'm not even a Sonic fan and I can tell this is gonna be "teh hawtness":)
BradVanDam said:
this shall tide us over till mario galaxy drops

grandjedi6 said:
Gaf's opinion on Sonic and the Secret Rings....

BEFORE SONIC 2006:
Where's Sonic Wii? You know, the good one.
I was the good one (-_^)

Looks really good to me. If I was getting a Wii, I would definitely look for this game.
You should (-_^)

So from my eyes it seems like Sonic and Secret Rings will be a great adventure title for Wii.
It was . . . a pretty good plateformer (-_^)
(wtf at adventure title)

Best 3D Sonic ever.
AniHawk is odd (-_^)
(But I can't dissagree. I didn't like any other 3D Sonic myself . .. but I came up with that after I played it! )

AFTER SONIC 2006:

I'm ready for Sonic & The Secret Rings, and since it is not the same team that worked on Sonic and Shitty Friends next gen, I'm confident that Sonic Wii will be really good.
Yes, it was pretty good (-_^)

I'm not even a Sonic fan and I can tell this is gonna be "teh hawtness":)
It IS the hawtness (-_^)

I don't get it . . . that wasn't too hypey and the game actually turned out good and better than the 06 title.

pakkit

Banned
Black-Wind said:
I don't get it . . . that wasn't too hypey and the game actually turned out good and better than the 06 title.
The fucks with those faces? Kittonwy's alt?

I hope that this is like Secret of the Rings and they're hiding the BLOW YOU AWAY visually levels for the game (whatever that level in that game is where you're running behind that airship and you're being shot at...took my breath away from a visual standpoint).

Teknoman

Probably going to tackle Journey to the West (Monkey King story right?) eventually. Really, i'm not sure how far they could take this. There arent THAT many famous "action packed" timeless stories. Wizard of Oz is possible (Emerald City is a given).

RobbieNick

McLovin said:
Who cares if he has a sword.. its a kids game at the end of the day. Hell the target demographic would probably prefer it if Sonic wore a Jet pack and wielded a bazooka :/

Space Sonic and the Attackers from planet G!!

Hell, anything's possible with the storybook series.

PSGames

This really looks quite interesting and feels somewhat fresh. Good job Sega. Lets just hope the gameplay is up to par.

New direct-feed screenshots (old if you've seen the last two Nintendo Power issues) from Sega's product page.

SBK_Event_Art04_lrg.jpg

screenshot_000000601_lrg.jpg

screenshot_000003191_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00000733_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00000742_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00000771_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00000796_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00000868_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00000874_lrg.jpg

SBK_Event_Art01_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00001026_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00001079_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00001091_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00001112_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00001164_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00001187_lrg.jpg

screenshot_00001228_lrg.jpg

Sadly it seems that they only uploaded the medium size, I'm trying to figure out which word they used for the full sized ones, they used "med" for medium, I've tried "big", "lar" for large, no luck. :'(

Edit: And ESRB's description of the game:

Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii) - This is an action adventure game in which players assume the role of Sonic the Hedgehog who is summoned to help save King Arthur’s Camelot. Players navigate through the kingdom by running and jumping around obstacles and collecting items such as gold rings. Sonic can slash at several phantom-like creatures with a sword, causing the creatures to flash and quickly disappear in a haze of purple mist. Players can also engage in one-on-one battles with fearsome knights, dragons, and boars. These boss battles usually involve more prolonged combat and sometimes are accompanied by realistic sounds of swords clashing and enemies crying out in pain.

Top Bottom