• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight Preview , new screens

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
While I admit to never having been a real fan of the sonic games, I gotta admit this looks mighty interesting. Hope it turns out good. :)

dabookerman said:
This looks fucking stupid.

He is grinding on ROPES.
Well, to be fair, he also grinds on actual rail road tracks which makes abit more sense to me than the randomly floating-with-out-support-beams rails from other 3D Sonic games.

The Field or whatever it is, is barren as hell. Why would you want to explore it, it doesn't look interesting. Just your generic field.
The thing I REALLY like about this "barren-generic field" is the fact that . . . Sonic is pretty fucking fast at running (so unlike with TP it might actually be fun to run around such a large, open place). I have always wanted to be able to free-rom these huge areas as Sonic with no "on rails-tunnel" game-play myself.

Im not so sure this game will be as free as some are saying. It would certainly be nice if it were so, ive wished for sonic + big field with grass for a long time. Im still guessing this will just be like secret rings with multiple paths...which isnt a bad thing at all imo.

If this isnt true, i hope sega says something before they face a backlash...well, more like before things go back to normal.

RobbieNick

Thanks to Toby for this info.

Nintendo Power preview summary:

- Nunchuk to move Sonic, A to Jump and flick of the Wiimote to attack, and Z to block

- Knuckles, Shadow and Blaze(YES) are bosses in the game, they are part of a round table, once you beat them they become your friend. Looks like they are playable as well, though this is optional.

- Each environment has about 6 to 9 missions.

- Looks like there is 3 fighting styles to choose from. Cavalier style = speed. Paladin style = Strength or Knight Style = a balance of both.

- You can get new skills, like in Secret rings.

- There also seems to be a multiplayer mode (Battle and Survivor Mode)

- "There are Solo Missions designed specifically for ranked online challenges"

NGamer Preview:

Points in the preview are -
- Stage 1's enemies all seem to be knights

- Double edges sword slows Sonic's attacks down (most definetly due to the fighting style they chose)

- The camera sits behind Sonic most of the time, switching to a side-on view for certain combat and platforming sections - just like Unleashed.

- The winding track-like stages are as much racing game as platform game - just like Unleashed

- Other gameplay elements will see Sonic returning to completed acts to take part in a series of missions and earn more followers.

- Later levels are likely to introduce slightly different play styles. We've even seen one that places Sonic atop a horse-drawn carriage, giving him the opportunity to fend off an ambush from a bunch of nimble assassins

The UK Box. (Hopefully the US Box as well.)

SonicandtheBlackKnight.png

Plays like Unleashed during day and playable Blaze and Knuckles? Sold.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ok, I admit to not following this game at all, but damn if those screens don't look great.

Online speed challenges sound awesome. The only thing I'm wary about so far is the comparisons to Unleashed. I did not enjoy Unleashed very much, if at all.

Firestorm

RobbieNick said:
Plays like Unleashed during day and playable Blaze and Knuckles? Sold.
I think you'd be sold no matter what as long as it had something blue and the "Sonic" plastered across the front.

Link said:
May as well post it now, just to keep everyone grounded:

We've seen it a million times before and considering 3 Sonic games (Unleashed, Dark Brotherhood and Secret Rings) have bucked the trend in the last 18 months alone, it really is a pointless thing to post. If anything this is looking BETTER than Unleashed, which by all accounts is anything but a bad game. Leave the Sonic hate out of this thread please, its not needed nor welcome.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
brain_stew said:
We've seen it a million times before and considering 3 Sonic games (Unleashed, Dark Brotherhood and Secret Rings) have bucked the trend in the last 18 months alone, it really is a pointless thing to post. If anything this is looking BETTER than Unleashed, which by all accounts is anything but a bad game. Leave the Sonic hate out of this thread please, its not needed nor welcome.
Lies!

RobbieNick

grandjedi6 said:

Actually I kinda agree. Sonic Heroes, Shadow, Sonic '06. Yes, they were all part of the Sonic Cycle. However........

Secret Rings was pretty well received, and enjoyed by most despite it's flaws.

Sonic Chronicles also was fairly well recieved. Even got EGM's "Game of the Month" for October. A little too easy, but that battle system was fun, and the story was well told.
(Although it kinda doesn't count since it's one of the portables.)

Sonic Unleashed? It depends on who you ask. There are many on the official forum who are really into it, (including moi) and others who just can't look past the Werehog. It's really a matter of taste on that one. Everyone seems to be having a different experience.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
RobbieNick said:
Actually I kinda agree. Sonic Heroes, Shadow, Sonic '06. Yes, they were all part of the Sonic Cycle. However........

Sonic Chronicles also was fairly well recieved. Even got EGM's "Game of the Month" for October. A little too easy, but that battle system was fun, and the story was well told.

Sonic Unleashed? It depends on who you ask. There are many on the official forum who are really into it, (including moi) and others who just can't look past the Werehog. It's really a matter of taste on that one. Everyone seems to be having a different experience.

Secret Rings.... honestly doesn't apply to the cycle! Though I could go on a rant about its own annoying flaws anyway :lol

Chronicles.... could or could not count. Its a pretty sucky RPG and while it did get good initial reviews and impressions, things have turned horribly sour on both fronts since then. But as you said its a handheld title so it really doesn't count...

Unleashed..... is like a textbook example of the cycle. But that doesn't mean it isn't a fun game of course.

RobbieNick

-Reviews slam the game ......... Yes.

-Massive Disappointment?...........No. There are a lot of people who enjoy this game. I'd say as many people love it as they do hate it. Disappointment? Yes. (To some.) Massive? No.

- Fans Proclaim they will no longer be fooled again?..... Not even close. Most Sonic fans enjoyed the game. Besides, that's such a dumb statement. We would be fooled again! And again and again. :lol

That's all I want to say about Unleashed. This is a SATBK thread after all.

So, it's coming out in March? Seems spaced kinda close to Unleashed. Methinks they may have another Sonic game planned for next fall. Otherwise, it would be best to delay this to summer or fall. I think we'll see at least another Sonic portable game next year.

After playing the Unleashed demo, and having them saying in an interview that basically they're just too lazy, I'm choosing to not support Sega until I've heard they've bucked that stupid attitude.

MidiSurf

Banned
Black Knight looks really awesome ! Sonic meets Zelda TP ? I just hope it's more of an adventure game than on-rails running game.

Haruspex

Banned
We all know the controls will feel as responsive as a shopping trolley on ice; so lets not get too excited kids.

And I won't settle for anything less than a mute Sonic.

Haruspex said:
We all know the controls will feel as responsive as a shopping trolley on ice; so lets not get too excited kids.

And I won't settle for anything less than a mute Sonic.
Umm, SR felt responsive enuff (still loose but it's a first time Wii game) and they are bond to tighten up the controls for the sword gameplay.

So . . .

YAY BLAZE! :lol

RobbieNick said:

Sonic Heroes needs more love, its no where near as terrible as 06 and Shadow and I'd argue it holds up better than the original Sonic Adventure today. It was received really rather favorably in reviews at the time as well, I think there's a lot f revisionist history going on with that game, it wasn't great, but it was far, far from being terrible.

Honestly, Sonic gets way, way too much hate for a series that has had only 1 mainline (2 if you count Shadow) title that was a stinker, that's hardly the terrible, unforgivable record some like to make it out to be.

I just hope jumping is normal in this game. I recently snagged a copy of Secret Rings for cheap and while I think it's a decent game overall despite some technical flaws I really hate the way you have to hold down the button to charge and release to jump. It's so ass backwards and unintuitive when you're racing around corners and suddenly coming upon enemies and obstacles. I'm also hoping that when they talk about bringing back the ability to gain new skills ala Secret Rings they don't mean shit like running at a normal speed or having left/right controls be responsive. I'm all for getting special moves, but players shouldn't be handicapped from the outset and forced to work up to normal controls.

brain_stew said:
Honestly, Sonic gets way, way too much hate for a series that has had only 1 mainline (2 if you count Shadow) title that was a stinker, that's hardly the terrible, unforgivable record some like to make it out to be.
I sort of agree, but it's understandable when you realize just how far Sonic has fallen from grace. It's a matter of contrast. Sonic 1-3, S&K, and Sonic CD were all phenomenal, so it's hard to accept that the series has become a string of games that are passable at best and downright awful at worst.

Playable Blaze is enough motivation alone to get this game.

If it is taking that much from Unleashed than I must buy it. I hope the camera angle they chose this time will work out, though.

HUELEN10

DedicationThroughLight said:
Playable Blaze is enough motivation alone to get this game.
I hate to admit it, but I agree. I hope she is playable though. Do we have confirmation of it yet?

Speaking of Blaze, they should make a third Rush game that lets you travel between worlds like a more limited version of Sonic CD's time travel. Like for example, there would be a level that is an ice level in one world and a volcano level in another, and you could switch between both mid-stage.

THIS WOULD BE PRETTY COOL LISTEN TO ME SEGA

batbeg said:
Really awesome boxart, and I'm glad to see the Sonic Storybook series is apparently being made into a spinoff franchise, as I love Secret Rings and hope to enjoy this one as much.
Same here. While playing secret rings, a friend and I talked about how nice it would be if they did this very thing. I never thought it would actually happen though, but its certainly welcome. Im still worried about the controls, but that is my only concerned to be honest.

RobbieNick

Aaron Strife said:
Is this really applicable though?

I mean the first thing we learned about this game was that Sonic has a sword.

Yea, it's odd. We got the 2nd phase first, and the first phase second. :lol

Let's just hope we don't end up with the third.

abstract alien said:
Im still worried about the controls, but that is my only concerned to be honest.
Well, now you use the nunchuk, so it's analog for movement and A to jump, still waggle to homing attack.

So that seems like an improvement.

Aaron Strife said:
Well, now you use the nunchuk, so it's analog for movement and A to jump, still waggle to homing attack.

To be honest, I really liked the wiimote-only controls for secret rings. This new set up seems like it could be ok(but less fun for my own stupid reasons), but im worried simply because this is sega, and i dont believe ive ever played a sega adventure game that actually had great analog control. The best is probably unleashed(sonics part), but even that isnt really "spot on". I still feel like rings controls better than unleashed.

I was actually thinking about making a thread on it the other day(sega and analog implementation) , but thats a different topic.

batbeg

Aaron Strife said:

Like abstract alien, I liked the control scheme of Secret Rings. It made for not only an interesting control scheme, but a change in gameplay and level design that wasn't really much like any other Sonic. I don't really care that it was so separate from classic Sonic, I just liked that it was unique and fun. Analog control basically means the level design and gameplay are bound to be very different in this one... though I still hold out hope.

Davey Cakes

batbeg said:
Like abstract alien, I liked the control scheme of Secret Rings. It made for not only an interesting control scheme, but a change in gameplay and level design that wasn't really much like any other Sonic. I don't really care that it was so separate from classic Sonic, I just liked that it was unique and fun. Analog control basically means the level design and gameplay are bound to be very different in this one... though I still hold out hope.
Agreed to the utmost extent.

I really enjoyed the controls in Secret Rings. And they weren't nearly as unreliable as some complainers made them out to be. I hardly had any trouble with the controls at all.

The "Sonic Storybook Series" bit is good news to me. As a big fan of Secret Rings, I'm hoping that Black Knight improves on some of the concepts introduced, and is a solid follow-up. If it is, that will make two good (and very fun) storybook Sonic games in a row, and we could look forward to future iterations.

Gotchaye

Hold up.

- Later levels are likely to introduce slightly different play styles. We've even seen one that places Sonic atop a horse-drawn carriage, giving him the opportunity to fend off an ambush from a bunch of nimble assassins

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wonder if they'll add the Storybook Series logo to new Secret Rings covers...

And I think the controls will be fine. My concern still lies with the hub world/townsfolk leveling aspect.

Top Bottom