• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is DOOM the most technically impressive game out today?

dr_rus

60 fps games and open world are typically technically impressive. It may not look better though because you have less time to do amazing looking techniques and cheats.

It may be impressive in whatever optimizations they're using to reach that fps goal, sure, but these are kinda well known for the most part (pre-baking, dynamic resolutions, etc) and I'm not seeing anything new in Doom here so again, not an achievement.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
No, I was not impressed by this game at all. As far as FPS goes only Battlefront impressed me. Ucharted 4 on the other hand is the most impressive thing on consoles and gives most PC games a decent run. I know there's been a "shit on Ucnharted" lately type of thing going on at GAF for a bit now, but are we really at the point where now we're trying to convince our selves that the game isn't impressive in a visual/technical scale ?

-d0hv

GTAV does not
- Have every lightsources casting shadows, a lot of the lights are not even lightsources but just glows...like cop lights, headlights on cars at a distance the headlights you see when you are looking from top of a building or from plane.
- Have grass good enough to make a note of it is worse than even an old game like Farcry 2, the grass in GTA is run of the mill..
- Have every lightsources being destroyable
- Have the best bokeh, it actually uses low quality circular bokeh for anything at distance. It is worse than several current gen games here (I dont think PS360 versions even used bokeh but I might be incorrect in this one).
- Have good LOD, how can you even say this when the shadow LOD changes from max to medium literally 1meterr in front of you? Don't believe me? Go under a tree shadow and walk around, you can make out a 1 meter radius around your main character that has the high res shadows but beyond that you canget cascades.

The fact that you can teleport and observe little pop in is because it takes quite some time to make the switch, especially on last gen consoles...don't forget that.

1. Yes, almost every light source is dynamic. Car lights are only dynamic when the player is driving them, yes, but every single lamppost casts dynamic + volumetric (if foggy) lights that can be shot out and disabled. Same with the majority of lights on buildings. I've tested this extremely thoroughly in the almost-two-years since the NG version came out, I've 100$ seen how many lights are fully dynamic and it's a huge amount.

2. I'm talking about the 3D fuzzy grass that shows up in gardens and around the city, the kind that looks tessellated and not the big strandy kind.

3. Dunno why you mentioned light sources twice but you're still incorrect there.

4. I've never seen better bokeh yet. What you're talking about is the fake lights that appear in the distance to simulate light sources, I'm talking about the out of focus light you see when operating the radio or aiming at stuff. I've never seen better bokeh.

5. Shadow LOD =/= model LOD

6. I'm not talking about switching characters... I'm talking about actually teleporting using a trainer to warp to waypoints in single player. Everything is present within a second of me teleporting, which is instant, nowhere near as slow as character switching.

It seems that a lot of the points you tried to refute were a misunderstanding like the teleporting thing. I've tested this an absolute shitload in the time the game has been out. It DOES really do all of these things I listed and many more.

SaberEdge

No, I was not impressed by this game at all. As far as FPS goes only Battlefront impressed me. Ucharted 4 on the other hand is the most impressive thing on consoles and gives most PC games a decent run. I know there's been a "shit on Ucnharted" lately type of thing going on at GAF for a bit now, but are we really at the point where now we're trying to convince our selves that the game isn't impressive in a visual/technical scale ?

-d0hv

I guess the irony that you are upset at people downplaying Uncharted 4 but are downplaying DOOM in the very same comment is lost on you.

Both games are very impressive. They each do things well that the other doesn't. I don't know how anybody could claim which is technically superior in any factual or authoritative way.

mcz117chief

That's an older video I haven't used the nvidia features in ages, though I should now that I have 7950 in vs older shit. I love using them but they still hit fps but the optimization has gotten better on them than from early release.

The video has various classes which part are you wondering about?

Actually it only hits framerate if you set shadows on ultra. With shadows on ultra the game lags horribly with Flex but if you set them to high then everything is smooth as butter.

As much as I love Doom, I would have to say Guilty Gear xRD is one of the most impressive games I've seen in recent years. The way the developers and programmers managed to use the Unreal Engine is incredible.

What looks like 2 drawings or sprites...
90f5553c2527d8734f12ae0d0cf1bc5a.jpg

... is actually a full 3D stage model:
0fc94a5e48c1c85bba672cf4660e7a8a.jpg

The characters look hand drawn but again, are full 3D models but anime/cel shading.
08a18d8ba19afe09a21cd9f41c1114d2.jpg

Looks like 2D drawings:
mytmkbjpxmie2gide0pv.gif

Looks like 2D anime animations:
giphy.gif

See how the 3D models look during a K.O animation:
guiltygear_holyshit_zps4541e85c.gif

Ew5iq8T.gif

Guilty Gear really is a technical marvel that deserves a lot of attention for how well it was created. I love Doom, Uncharted, The Witcher and all those other games and yes they are impressive(insert UnchartedFallingRock.gif) impressive but Guilty Gear to me just stands out in terms of sheer creativity of an engine as well as sticking true to it's fighting roots and yes, at 60FPS with no drops. To me Guilty Gear trumps all the other previously mentioned games.

SaberEdge

To be clear, in my earlier comment I wasn't saying I think DOOM looks equally as good as Uncharted 4 (it doesn't, imo), only that they impress you in different ways and are both to be commended.

Personally, I think Star Wars Battlefront looks better than DOOM, but then again it's a bit more demanding to run, so DOOM remains a very outstanding achievement.

I still think The Witcher 3 impresses me more often and to a greater degree than any of these games. Especially the Blood and Wine expansion.

Uncharted 4 has impressive character models well at least for the main characters but everything else is bland looking. DOOM fucking kills it on all fronts the lighting even on PS4 looks amazing and the increased frame rate makes the game look better as well.

As already shown 30fps can take a good looking game and make it into a blurry mess in motion. I really liked Uncharted 4. It was a good time but DOOM on every level is easily the best thing I've played this year by a mile and the best performing and looking game to boot.

Oh, Doom was a great looking game running at 60fps, but I do not think it looks as good or definitely not better than Uncharted 4's visuals.

mcz117chief

Dictator, have you seen the update to my post with the screenshots? Can you screenshot me the same skull I did on your machine please?

dr guildo

effective? What do you mean by that?

In rasterized graphics you can decouple the tail / shutter speed and exagerration from the actual framerate. Thus having 24 fps style motion blur even in 60 fps scenarios.

Yeah at still, not in motion. And Doom's Moblur can be fantastic in photomode, but you just don't feel it that way during gameplay.
I played Doom Demo, and ingame, I have difficulty to really feel the Moblur, where I really feel it in games like UC4, DC, TheOrder. This is a fact, the higher fps you get, the lesser is your MoBlur effective.

Please, see my link in my post above...

SomTervo

The level of ingenuity in all these games is off the charts. We're talking top tenth percentile here.

And remember the thread is about what's most 'impressive' not 'what's best'.

Doom easily looks better than UC4

PC doom vs. UC4 yeah

Doom has better IQ and optimisation, but it is a fraction as technically impressive as Uncharted 4.

Best looking =/= technically impressive.

Uncharted 4 looks near-real-life for its entire duration and is running on 4+ year old hardware (like 6-7 year old in actuality). It has next-level skin and lighting effects (light even refracts through people's ear-skin), unbelievable texture and physics simulation, and probably the best animations in any videogame ever made.

All of the below are 100% playable moments:

giphy-3.gif

1303215241605868977.gif

kCVOmI4.gif

uncharted-4-4.gif

I can't help but agree. id is back with a vengeance, and all they needed to do was purge themselves of the OGs lol.

60fps game:
27501241681_f7b21be399_o.png

30fps game:
26964187484_e729950915_o.png

ND pls

They just patched Uncharted 4 so that you can tone-down/turn off motion blur. Even halfing it makes it look way better than that screen.

As much as I love Doom, I would have to say Guilty Gear xRD is one of the most impressive games I've seen in recent years. The way the developers and programmers managed to use the Unreal Engine is incredible.

Ew5iq8T.gif

Guilty Gear really is a technical marvel that deserves a lot of attention for how well it was created. I love Doom, Uncharted, The Witcher and all those other games and yes they are impressive(insert UnchartedFallingRock.gif) impressive but Guilty Gear to me just stands out in terms of sheer creativity of an engine as well as sticking true to it's fighting roots and yes, at 60FPS with no drops. To me Guilty Gear trumps all the other previously mentioned games.

OK, now this is cool.

KKRT00

Doom has better IQ and optimisation, but it is a fraction as technically impressive as Uncharted 4.

Best looking =/= technically impressive.

Uncharted 4 looks near-real-life for its entire duration and is running on 4+ year old hardware (like 6-7 year old in actuality). It has next-level skin and lighting effects (light even refracts through people's ear-skin), unbelievable texture and physics simulation, and probably the best animations in any videogame ever made.
Doom has better AA, much better post-processing, better SSR (U4 sometimes turns it off), better particles, while being also 60fps game.
Calling it 'fraction as technically impressive' is insulting for id team.

The characters look hand drawn but again, are full 3D models but anime/cel shading.

Looks like 2D drawings:
mytmkbjpxmie2gide0pv.gif

giphy.gif

Ew5iq8T.gif

Im not the biggest fighting game guy but damn if this was not the most impressive looking game in the past decade. Little off topic, but if SF5 looked like this and not just a rehash on SF4's engine, i would have been all over that shit.

SaberEdge

Doom has better AA, much better post-processing, better SSR (U4 sometimes turns it off), better particles, while being also 60fps game.

I agree, I thought the "fraction as technically impressive" comment was way off base. Even though I do think Uncharted 4 looks better overall, it's not that much better. Some people get so hyperbolic about their favorite games.

SomTervo

Doom has better AA (IQ) much better post-processing (IQ), better SSR (IQ), better particles (that's true), while being also 60fps game (Uncharted 4 is on 5 year old hardware - at least).

Did you miss the bit of my post where I said they're all top-percentile quality games and that they're all achievements? I don't mean any slight against id when I say that - I'm a big fan of id and what they achieved.

I sincerely believe that Uncharted 4 is leagues ahead of any game out there. I played and completed DOOM on my PC (GTX 1080, 16GB RAM, i5 4690K @4GHz) and I played Uncharted 4 on my PS4 in the same week - Uncharted 4 is far more "technically impressive". That doesn't mean DOOM isn't technically impressive. Uncharted 4 is just more so - it's absurdly, stratospherically huge as an achievement.

Blow by blow re what you said. Just to be clear: DOOM has phenomenal image quality and that is 100% to be commended. But image quality isn't the only thing to consider when discussing how technically impressive a game is. You have animations, lighting, physics and scope.
  • Doom has better AA
This is about image quality. The only thing which Uncharted 4 isn't incredible at (though it's still great), while everything else about it is sublime.
  • much better post-processing
Again, IQ. (Edit: wrong, my bad. I still think it's a graphical boon though, impacting how pretty it is rather than interactive elements.)
  • better SSR
Again, IQ. (Edit: as above - wrong, my bad.)
  • better particles
This is true - Uncharted 4 has good-not-great particles that sometimes let it down.
  • while being also 60fps game
Uncharted 4 looks like near-real life, is longer than DOOM, and has larger open spaces than DOOM. You can scrutinise the character's animations for the entire 14 hour duration and only have a couple of moments where it doesn't look almost like real life. The fact that it's 30FPS (although it doesn't feel like that most of the time) easily makes up for the few things DOOM does better.

Uncharted 4 has:

- a set of fantastic IQ solutions which make it look almost 4K from time to time (motion blur can hamper it)
- a bleeding-edge set of animation systems which are blended with a physics solution so that movements look incredibly real. Drake can bump off surfaces, stumble/trip and fall down to lower levels, grab enemies from behind doorways, he climbs with procedural animations to shift weight and grab handholds; objects can bend under his weight, NPC team-mates can throw enemies off Drake or engage with enemies themselves
X5Lzh3U.gif

climbing.gif

- amazing texture and lighting work for natural surfaces, e.g. subsurface scattering for skin
- massive amounts of moving and physics-active objects on screen - see the image below of Libertalia with all the plants and foliage. Every single bit of foliage on screen moves and sways by itself and reacts to Drake moving through it. You can scale and explore every object on the screen, too.
- NPC AI that can help you, call out enemy locations, provide support and, indeed, kill enemies
QueasyFaroffAlpaca.gif

I fucking love DOOM and DOOM is technically very very impressive but it is not as impressive as Uncharted 4, IMO.

Both games are mind-blowingly well optimised. Consider that Uncharted 4 is running on like 5 year old hardware and is still incredibly stable.

Edit: Word up to people mentioning GTA V, too. That was an incredible achievement.

SomTervo

Post-processing and SSR is not IQ.
They are as rendering intensive as lighting solutions.

Fair play, sorry - will edit my post. Don't know enough about that.

Regardless; as an entire package (not just including graphics), I think Uncharted 4 is more technically impressive.

Doom looks very good, but Uncharted 4 looks jaw droppingly good. UC4 has much better art direction though, so that's probably a large part of it.

Type_Raver

Its what the new King of Fighters ahouldve looked like.

Edit, damn left the wrong image in quotes after anipping post, doh.

martino

No freaking way in hell. UC4 looks Ultra settings on a PS4.

There is just no beating Naughty Dog in graphics.

you blind.it's not even sure shadow are medium equivalent...compromises are made here and there and visible ones (if you're not a sony and/or ND boys)

i think i might in minority but that video gave me headache. It is too fast and gives vertigo.

The weird thing is, usually I get motion sickness from the smallest slow shit, but with watching or playing Doom, almost nothing.

Wonder if it's the 60 FPS or something else in that game..

hesido

The Doom guys are doing cool stuff with async compute, like everybody else already should be doing, but they do this as a multiplatform dev. I don't know how much ND is into Async compute but I guess they are also doing this, but life is probably easier when you are targeting that single spec.

SomTervo

uncharted-4-4.gif

This looks so weird to me. It's overdone, and doesn't look realistic. Am i the only one?

1. There are so many countless contexts and they've made animations to fit most of them but there are always times it looks wrong, yeah. You can go and find better examples easily, but there will always be bad examples, too.

2. It's been cleverly designed so that it's still playable when that's happening - so the animations being seamless is important but not perfected. Being playable is the first and foremost priority. Like the moment they pause or his hand floats mid air is a branch for the player to press Square and strike. If the player misses the prompt it branches into the guy slamming Drake off the wall.

3. When you're in-game you don't really notice stuff like that, you're not looking that close.

This one's a classic: There are still problems (the guy's face smashes off thin air above the hood) but the overall impression and quality is just staggering.

AiCy6Tm.gif

(PS this gameplay situation is 100% unscripted. I've never done this, I've never used that combat placement, or used that crazy death-defying suicide leap-to-swing.)

you blind.it's not even sure shadow are medium equivalent...compromises are made here and there and visible ones (if you're not a sony and/or ND boys)

It's not just graphics, tho

Sini

Played Doom on PS4 and the tech behind the game really surprised me. All games on id tech 5 before had horrible texture work and resolution!!

But Doom and id tech 6 changed that and Doom overall has really good and significant impoved textures going and this together with the also much improved lighting made the game a nice looker and a significant improvement over older id tech 5 games! ID did really good work with this game!
Horrible texture work? How so? I thought they had the best texture work of any game because everything was unique without any tiling.

The blood has liquid physics now? And there are entrails that respond to physics too? Is that gun from the new sharpshooter class?

That looks amazing now.

That video is from August last year. Sharpshooter was released bit over a month ago.

Moblur is to paliate the lack of fluidity in animation, 60fps need less Moblur than 30fps, because it is already fluid at these figure.
That is only if you use motion blur as a gap filler (i.e. as in tying it 100% to the discreet time and spatial distance between frames). You do not need to in rasterized graphics. Your link proves that as well as you can increase the amount of motionblur exaggeration to go beyond the shutter speed. For example, as per your link: change the 60 fps ball to 2.0 or 2.5x (heavy) instead of realistic, and compare it to a 30 fps with realistic. You will have less judder than 30 fps in the 60 fps ball, but the same amount of smear.
And Doom's Moblur can be fantastic in photomode, but you just don't feel it that way during gameplay.
Doom's photomode cannot actually capture obmb I am pretty sure since it is done in stills and steps.
I played Doom Demo, and ingame, I have difficulty to really feel the Moblur, where I really feel it in games like UC4, DC, TheOrder. This is a fact, the higher fps you get, the lesser is your MoBlur effective.
Once again this is not true. You can decouple the amount of motion blur from framerate to make even a 200fps frame, and thus the amalgmation of those frames over a period of time, have the same amount of smear as 30fps.
Just check out this video I made showing how the amount of motion blur can be decoupled and is not based upon frame rate in all engines: especially not idtech 6.
Dictator, have you seen the update to my post with the screenshots? Can you screenshot me the same skull I did on your machine please?

Yeah I will grab a screen soon ^^ !

Skenzin

Banned
i think i'm the only one that found this game to be just Meh, both technically and gameplay wise. The original Doom got me to build my first PC, a 486sx monster and forever sealed me into the PC ecosystem. Doom3 was a great Resident Evil style scary technology fest that I really enjoyed exploring. This new Doom just feel repetitive to me and there's no element of danger. Technically it just looks good to me. Not great or amazing.

SomTervo

i think i'm the only one that found this game to be just Meh, both technically and gameplay wise. The original Doom got me to build my first PC, a 486sx monster and forever sealed me into the PC ecosystem. Doom3 was a great Resident Evil style scary technology fest that I really enjoyed exploring. This new Doom just feel repetitive to me and there's no element of danger. Technically it just looks good to me. Not great or amazing.

Maybe up the difficulty? When you're being pushed to bunnyhop everywhere and pull off on-your-toes strategy and trick shots it becomes amazing. (And that's my experience most of the time while playing.)

dr guildo

Once again this is not true. You can decouple the amount of motion blur from framerate to make even a 200fps frame, and thus the amalgmation of those frames over a period of time, have the same amount of smear as 30fps.
Just check out this video I made showing how the amount of motion blur can be decoupled and is not based upon frame rate in all engines: especially not idtech 6.

Yeah I will grab a screen soon ^^ !

I have checked your video. Moblur is really noticeable at the beginning of your demo, but my claim is that @30fps, your Moblur would be more effective, more pronounced. As I said, at equivalent settings (just check my link), Moblur is more convincing @lower framerate.

Doom's photomode cannot actually capture obmb I am pretty sure since it is done in stills and steps.
!

I meant during a screenshot as shown above vs Uncharted's Moblur. Sorry...

Gitaroo

just played paragon on PS4, forgot how good UE4 can look, and the game also runs at 60fps even though at 900p. That game also look better than PS4 Doom. PC version easily out does Doom. Idtech 6 still have a lot to proof, we haven't seen how it handles huge open world, or complex forest scene with lot of vegetation. Sure its 60fps but all comes with the right cut back, even UE4 can hit 60fps on consoles, even frostbite and Uncharted 4 MP.

but my claim is that @30fps, your Moblur would be more effective, more pronounced. As I said, at equivalent settings (just check my link), Moblur is more convincing @lower framerate.
Which is not true as you are misunderstanding the concept in its entirety as I type it. The amount of motion blur in a frame or over time even is not necessarily dependent upon framerate in a modern renderer. You telling me to look at your link is just another way for me to prove that point as you can adjust the motion blur amount regardless of framerate. The 30fps just has more judder in the end as soon as you equalise the motion blur exaggeration: i.e. looks worse.

30 fps does not mean your motion blur looks better or is more accurate or that it is even more pronounced.

Baconmonk

Doom does corridors and close encounters better, because it's part of the game design.

Uncharted does big open spaces, facial tech, and human animations better, because it's part of the game design.

They're both wonderful examples of how far we've come with graphics tech in gaming, but they are both trying to do very different things in presentation. Comparing them directly and saying one is "better" is sort of doing a disservice to the intent of these games. Really, I can't wait to see if any other games use the new idTech engine.

nasanu

Banned
That's art style--and Doom is set on Mars...

Yeah so they had a lot to work with but instead made it look like it was set in a factory. Where is the tallest mountain in the solar system? If I am playing some stupid shooter on mars I expect some showdown on Olympus Mons. Where are the crazy dust storms? Where is all the interesting mars shit instead of the boring earth industrial complex?

SomTervo

Doom does corridors and close encounters better, because it's part of the game design.

Uncharted does big open spaces, facial tech, and human animations better, because it's part of the game design.

They're both wonderful examples of how far we've come with graphics tech in gaming, but they are both trying to do very different things in presentation. Comparing them directly and saying one is "better" is sort of doing a disservice to the intent of these games. Really, I can't wait to see if any other games use the new idTech engine.

I think Uncharted 4 does corridors and close encounters just as well. Well, the close encounters have a slightly larger jank margin, but that's just because we can see our player-character and there are so many variables based on their position, the level, the enemy and the camera's position. But there are plenty of parts when you get chin-to-chin with enemies in Uncharted 4 and it's flawless.

And many of its corridors, and corridor-ey gunfights, are amazing.

dr guildo

Which is not true as you are misunderstanding the concept in its entirety as I type it. The amount of motion blur in a frame or over time even is not necessarily dependent upon framerate in a modern renderer. You telling me to look at your link is just another way for me to prove that point as you can adjust the motion blur amount regardless of framerate. The 30fps just has more judder in the end as soon as you equalise the motion blur exaggeration: i.e. looks worse.

30 fps does not mean your motion blur looks better or is more accurate or that it is even more pronounced.

I have checked your video. Moblur is really noticeable at the beginning of your demo, but my claim is that @30fps, your Moblur would be more effective, more pronounced. As I said, at equivalent settings (just check my link), Moblur is more convincing @lower framerate.

I judge with my eyes, I prefer Mb @30fps over 60, and best Mb I've seen in videogames was on games@30fps (Ratchet'N Clank, DC, GTAV), Doom'Mb is barely noticeable on PS4, Battlefront on the same boat,

Mb is more pronounced in driving games @30fps thant @60fps, too. It is systematic.

moozoom

Looks like 2D drawings:
mytmkbjpxmie2gide0pv.gif

giphy.gif

Ew5iq8T.gif

I'm with you on this, and I don't even like fighting games... I could watch my boyfriend play Guilty Gear for hours without being jaded by the visuals. It's just perfection in the cel-shading artstyle. I just hope this technique will be applied to other genres like in a Jrpg or a platformer.

The doom vid just gave me a headache and dizziness.

f@luS

More than a member.
I fail to see any aliasing in uncharted on my 65 inch tv so I don't know if doom AA is better both are insane
I played doom and j wasn't impressed. It's fluid , good looking but nothing jaw dropping for me ... Uncharted is right now on its now for the crown imho

Top Bottom