• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which was the more technically impressive game, Starfield or Tears of the Kingdom?

Which is more technically impressive of these two

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
An engine that is clearly not designed for this type of game vs an physics sandbox

Designed from the ground up .

Attention Please Love GIF by Simian Reflux

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is this a joke thread? TotK has arguably one of the best physics simulator in any game ever, and it runs on an ancient 75-year-old SoC. It’s absolute black magic.

GymWolf

But...you kinda were sometimes :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Tokt doesn't really do anything completely new:

Other games had materials and elements reacting with each other
The fuse system is half bolts and nuts and half just cause 4
The ultrahand is garry mod or i heard people saying minecraft, never played that vomit inducing thing

But it gel all those things with success.

To bad for the shitty hardware and framerate that gets progressively worse the more you go forward.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Starfield has better tech, but the devs just dont have the creativity to make use of it. They do a fairly decent job with some anti gravity sequences, but the full potential of its amazing physics system is not utilized like the geniuses over at Nintendo did.

Just imagine what Nintendo devs couldve done with this instead of slaving away using PS3 era hardware in 2023.

utV0UCx.gif
LOL, you always show this GIF with Havoc physics from 2004 and say it's next gen and better tech than ToTK

Aion002

Starfield is cool, but plays like a 360 game with the appearance of a current gen.

While ToTK looks like a last gen game, but plays like a next gen game.

So yeah... Both are impressive on their own way....

Like, while playing Starfield, every time there's combat, I am like: this sucks, this plays worse than many first person shooters on the original Xbox, that's impressive.

And when playing Zelda, I am like: Nintendo is genius for making this on the Switch. I am impressed.

James Franco GIF

MirageMew2

In absolute and objective terms, Starfield is probably a more technically impressive game just because it’s on hardware that’s so much stronger and better than the Switch.
The inverse of the statement, i.e. what ToTK accomplishes on Switch, is far more impressive and consistent. Not to mention all in-engine objects actually compliment the gameplay and don’t require some save editor mod to experience.

StueyDuck

Technically totk but neither are very special technically. Very iterative or the same as their prior titles in most of their elements

Dick Jones

Gold Member
If you are legitimately comparing the technical ability of a game running on a handheld from 2017 [or likely earlier] tech versus a game released on a significantly more powerful console released in 2020, then you already know the answer.

eNT1TY

They both can do crazy shit with physics, difference is that TOTK is built around it and only has really impressive physics with very select few items in very specific situational occurrences where as in Starfield it just happens to casually have top notch physics on almost any item that isn't a static environmental object.

Robb

Gold Member
Given the hardware both are running on Starfield feel like it should run better than it does while TotK feels like it should run worse than it does.

So TotK by far.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
These two along with BG3 are my favorite games of the year, and in thinking about them this question came to me that I wanted to see what GAF thought about.

In absolute and objective terms, Starfield is probably a more technically impressive game just because it’s on hardware that’s so much stronger and better than the Switch.

However, taking the limitations of the hardware into account, which of these two is the more impressive game?

Tears of the Kingdom was praised for its technical engineering, with its seamless massive open world, persistent world states, the ability to pick up and manipulate almost anything in the world. Developers across the industry praised the game for being able to do things that they have been unable to even on much stronger hardware.

Starfield of course has significantly better graphics tech, moddability, and great world permanence of the kind that no other game in the industry manages (except other BGS games).

I think it makes for an interesting comparison between the two games - which do you think is more technically impressive?

What is up with you, polls and ridiculous fucking comparisons? :pie_expressionless:

Hey guys whats more impressive? Super Sprint or Blazing Dragons?

Last edited:
But...you kinda were sometimes :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Tokt doesn't really do anything completely new:

Other games had materials and elements reacting with each other
The fuse system is half bolts and nuts and half just cause 4
The ultrahand is garry mod or i heard people saying minecraft, never played that vomit inducing thing

But it gel all those things with success.

To bad for the shitty hardware and framerate that gets progressively worse the more you go forward.
"Limitations breed creativity" - - That what i heard

The thing is that BOTW was developed for Wii U in mind, then ported to Switch
As the Wii U CPU was weaker than X360, it ended dropping to 20fps in towns

There is hardly any difference between BOTW and TOTK at all.

Cyberpunkd

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

How can you claim with a straight face a game developed on a 20-year old engine is technically impressive? It’s junk tech-wise.

Romulus

It's hard to be impressed with the new Zelda games when it's a 20-30fps and low resolution. Totk is better than botw here.
Not to mention, its cell shaded which saves resources considerably and most of the vistas are just empty plains. So that's not impressive at all.

Playing Botw at 1440p 60fps actually impressed me more but that wasn't on console.

Starfield is kinda of a joke overall. Big empty randomly generated vistas with bad physics. Some of the cities look great though.

I will say the game itself hooked me far more than the switch Zeldas ever did. Some of characters and side missions are damn immersive.

GymWolf

"Limitations breed creativity" - - That what i heard

The thing is that BOTW was developed for Wii U in mind, then ported to Switch
As the Wii U CPU was weaker than X360, it ended dropping to 20fps in towns

There is hardly any difference between BOTW and TOTK at all.
Ultrahand, fuse and ascend are pretty big news that let you manipulate the physics and enlarge the whole sandbox gameplay to a whole other level.

Other devs don't even think about putting something like ascend in their games because it would break everything.

This just show how massively betatested zelda was.

Does tokt has enhanced destruction or better IA or other impressive physics features over botw? not really, but what they added in terms of gameplay make the already present physics much more on the front center of the gameplay.

Last edited:

Flabagast

I dont see how anyone could call Starfield technically impressive ?

For all I know I would say on the contrary that it is lagging behind the current technological curve imho.

El Muerto

Not a fan of BOTW or TOTK, but enjoying Starfield. My vote goes to Zelda. The game is pretty impressive for being on a 7 year old tablet.

not gonna say. i will say, tho, that they tied as games offering most 'extra shit to do than i had no interest whatsoever in doing'...

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Ultrahand, fuse and ascend
To me Ascend is actually the most technically impressive thing, because you can actually do it almost anywhere. You can build your own ascend ceiling and it'll work. It's an amazing gameplay and technical device.

GymWolf

To me Ascend is actually the most technically impressive thing, because you can actually do it almost anywhere. You can build your own ascend ceiling and it'll work. It's an amazing gameplay and technical device.
Yeah, ascend is low key the most potentially game breaking ability.

And i think the only ability that is not present in other games like ultrahand and fuse.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Starfield isn't even more impressive than AC Rogue on the PS3. In that game you could load once into a huge region, hop on your boat, have battles, go to a new island or village, hop off your boat anywhere, explore, and then climb back onto your boat with no loading. Starfield you have loading screens into small buildings. You even have a loading screen to get into your ship and a cutscene to get into and out of your pilot seat.

TotK is much more impressive than Starfield and I'm someone who was disappointed with both titles.

Holammer

Well, it's obviously Starfield because it does more technically impressive stuff. It's pushing higher resolutions, level of detail that's probably ten times higher. It's objectively true it's more technically impressive.

A Switch trying to render this would require the last rites

TotK is impressive on another level, like a kid drawing The Last Supper with just a few crayons. A picture goes on the fridge and remains a conversation piece for years.

If starfield didn't have loading for every instance.

If starfield didn't look like shit and ran a good frame rate.

Then maybe it would, but it doesn't.

There's nothing good tech wise in that ancient ass engine. I think people still love drunk on fallout 3, Vegas and Skyrim.

poodaddy

I absolutely love Starfield, but come on man. Tears of the Kingdom easily, it's a technical wunderkind with the physics simulation on display, and on such underpowered hardware too.

Scratch that, Gothic came out in 2001 and didn't have loading screens every 5 meters.
Games on Xbox 360 were designed to stream from the DVD drive as didn’t have HDD by default

So games have loading times and pop-in as a result like Unreal Engine 3 games

Gothic requires 700MBs on HDD

Top Bottom