• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku: Zero Demo thread and impressions

Sgblues

So the demo for Ryu Ga Gotoku: Zero has been out free for everyone since Monday and this thread is a heads up for people who, might have been unaware and want to try it out provided you have a JP PSN account.

Link to demo on JP PSN

The Vita companion app has also been released.

Can get it here

Eolz

Really liked it.
Looks like an upgraded PS3 game but still looks great (especially textures). Plays great.
Hope it is localized, after those recent PS3 announcements.

Hope no-one minds, but I took a few videos when playing (including all the karaoke tracks.) You can check them out below if you can't make a Japanese account for whatever reason:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLutjmuhXqAlBRBs5_0hhxpOLUBRnZhEcL

Demo was great, but not too dissimilar to other titles. It's cool seeing Kiryu as a novice and his fighting styles definitely reflect that fact. The mini-games are same as usual, fun as always. You can't access Club SEGA in the demo though, sadly!

Got the full game on order, can't wait!

artsi

Downloading the demo now, but I know I'm buying it already. Just wondering if I should go digital (and avoid customs for sure) or get the physical version.

Got to finish up Yakuza 5 too before the 14th.

Permanently A

Graphics are great and style switching is awesome! Though I think the heavy emphasis on story in the demo is a bit off putting. If Sega wants to sell this title in the US, the demo should just be a straight up battle arena. No "hold R2 to follow this guy while he talks to you about things you don't care about."

Graphics are great and style switching is awesome! Though I think the heavy emphasis on story in the demo is a bit off putting. If Sega wants to sell this title in the US, the demo should just be a straight up battle arena. No "hold R2 to follow this guy while he talks to you about things you don't care about."

It's Yakuza. The story is why I love this series so much. I don't think it was a bad decision at all...

I don't know why, but I'm more drawn to this Yakuza title than any other. I think it's the setting and younger Kiryu.

Enjoyed looking through the demo gameplay stuff I've seen.

artsi

If Sega wants to sell this title in the US

Assuming they have any intention to... I guess it depends on if Yakuza 5 sells any better than the previous titles. If not it could be goodbye forever for Yakuza in the west.

Well I hope so that everyone can play it, but we just should accept that these games are made primarily for the Japanese audience.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Love how the environments look, but it might be a little to soon for me to play another one of these. The systems felt exactly like Ishin.

Also, I gotta say it, but the voice acting and mannerisms of Kiryu made it impossible to believe that he is a 20 year old in the game.

Cess007

Other than wishing i could understand a fraction of the story, i loved it. It took me a while to get used to the controls (it was me, or in the first battle, the controls felt very laggy?) but other than that, i still loved breaking havoc on the streets and getting into fights constantly.

Also, the Karaoke part are still so awesome that i couldn't stop smiling. Fingers crossed for the localization! (Come on people! Buy Yakuza 5!)

Bio-Frost

They did that with Yakuza 4 and look how that turned out.

Permanently A

It's Yakuza. The story is why I love this series so much. I don't think it was a bad decision at all...

Of course, I love the story too. I'm just saying it might be overwhelming for newcomers.

Assuming they have any intention to... I guess it depends on if Yakuza 5 sells any better than the previous titles. If not it could be goodbye forever for Yakuza in the west.

Well I hope so that everyone can play it, but we just should accept that these games are made primarily for the Japanese audience.

I'm still holding out hope since that PS4 localization document that said Yakuza (5 and 0) or something to that effect.

Sorry I only got into Yakuza in the last year. How did it turn out? What was the demo like?

It was pretty bad, just one fight with each character and then it was over. No free roam or anything.

? Which demo have you played? You have two instances in which you are given free roam (even if many areas can't be accessed and there are no substories), and you only play with one character (Kiryu).

Tizoc

No problem Kyodai.

Hey c'mon! Get Serious!

Its for both PS3 and PS4 haha.

Cool, still should be mentioned in thread title to spread more awareness.

I'll have this dling some time next week when I have my leave. Y0 demo+Y4 playthrough oh yeah.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
demo was great and the voice acting top notch! do like the money as exp system too.

game really does look great. interesting seeing kiryu with a different attitude than he normally has the writing and voice actor pull off a great performance of a young cocky kiryu.

you most def are the type of person who should not be buying this game...

artsi

Just finished the demo, I loved it to death.
It's awesome how you punch people and there's just tons of money flying around.

So sad that the first person view still doesn't allow movement, I wished GTA V would inspire them enough to add it to this game but apparently not. Just basic movement would be enough to admire all the super detailed environments.

Karaoke was rad.

androvsky

Just finished the demo, I loved it to death.
It's awesome how you punch people and there's just tons of money flying around.

So sad that the first person view still doesn't allow movement, I wished GTA V would inspire them enough to add it to this game but apparently not. Just basic movement would be enough to admire all the super detailed environments.

Karaoke was rad.

Maybe they're saving it for a Project Morpheus edition.

artsi

Maybe they're saving it for a Project Morpheus edition.

My money is here waiting for you Sega, just come and get it.

jwG4rS1.jpg

Downloading the demo now, but I know I'm buying it already. Just wondering if I should go digital (and avoid customs for sure) or get the physical version.

Got to finish up Yakuza 5 too before the 14th.

I'm going physical, but I'm not heavily invested in a JP PSN account.
My account's physical address may or may be the headquarters of a major video game hardware manufacturer.
I've never had an issue with customs holding games/cds/movies more than a day, and I usually order from Lawson/HMV or YesAsia.

Of course, I love the story too. I'm just saying it might be overwhelming for newcomers.

Ah, OK. I can see where you're coming from there then. Yeah - since the first 80% of the demo is linear story stuff, it might cause people to lose interest. It has a cool opening though, hopefully enough for people to twig on what a bad ass Kiryu is.

Sophia

Japan got a proper demo for Yakuza 4 too, instead of the 10 minute fighting we got. :\

I'll check out the demo later tomorrow possibly. I may have to wait until I get better internet. How big is it?

Bio-Frost

Japan got a proper demo for Yakuza 4 too, instead of the 10 minute fighting we got. :\

I'll check out the demo later tomorrow possibly. I may have to wait until I get better internet. How big is it?

Had no idea they got a proper demo. Such a shame. :\

Wanted to post my impressions of Yakuza 0 also.

Really loved the style switching even if I forgot about it for most of the fights. It does look like a high res ps3 game but its by no means ugly. Biggest improvement to me is the animations. Everything feels so fluid now.

the demo is amazing, visually stunning, loved the city at night.
the combat is even more responsive at 60fps, feels really good.

what about the rumors of a english version for Zero?
I remember to see that, since the game is coming out in chinese as well.
love the gameplay, but the story is like 60% of Yakuza series, if not more...
it's hard task to play it without knowing what's happening.

I think this thread should have "Yakuza" on the title, not everyone knows Ryu Ga Gotoku is the same game, and there's a lot of new players because of Yakuza 4 on PSN+.

Coxy

oh yeah, we wouldnt want people getting the idea its a deliberately paced title with tonnes of dialogue

Permanently A

oh yeah, we wouldnt want people getting the idea its a deliberately paced title with tonnes of dialogue

demo was great and the voice acting top notch! do like the money as exp system too.

game really does look great. interesting seeing kiryu with a different attitude than he normally has the writing and voice actor pull off a great performance of a young cocky kiryu.

you most def are the type of person who should not be buying this game...

forgive me for wanting the game to sell more. 15 minutes of cutscenes sounds like a great way to get people hyped for the game

Tizoc

I swear if Y0 gets a digital release for PS4 on JP PSN I may just drop whatever price its asking for and get it.
Language barrier be damned; I NEED NOT KNOW WHAT THE MOON RUNES MAJIMA GORO SPEAKS TO UNDERSTAND HIS VIGOR AND EXCITEMENT AT BREAK DANCING FOOLS!

Shun

Since it's 1988, I can't wait to see how the story ties in with the eventual collapse of the economy.

I wonder if they're gonna pull off some bullshit like Tojo or some other party fucked up and caused the economy to collapse.

I'm really looking forward to how they're going to utilize the setting and real world events.

masteratt

Played it, loved it and now I'm pissed it's not coming over :p The cycle continues....

Yep. I made the mistake of getting the Japanese demo of Yakuza Ishin, loving it, and then it never coming here. It hurt too much :'( ....Not going to do it for this one. Yakuza Ishin I heard delved into the rise of the Yakuza, which made the pain worse as that sounds like a super amazing topic. I am dreaming of the day we get a 'Yakuza collection' including the ones we missed out on (key word there is 'dreaming').

Please please please everyone, buy Yakuza 5 and Yakuza 4 even (I double dipped when they released the digital version recently, and so can you!). SEGA however much it costs to just throw in some subtitles, it's surely worth it to please your hardcore fans in the West.

I also Platinum the games in case SEGA uses that as a data source also. And also because, well, they are super fun to Platinum.

dreamfall

Holy shit. I mean, just holy shit.

I played the demo for 3ish hours- after the second segment you can free roam to your heart's content before proceeding to the final cutscene. This game is everything. Kiryu's attacks are so unrefined, he feels like a young brash badass. The attacks also feel a bit slower, and more brutal from previous titles. The upgrade system is neat- having both a money component and a point requirement feels like it'll add a real sense of progression to things. The HEAT actions are flippin' awesome- to see a counter on an enemy holding a trashcan was one of the coolest things ever! GAAAAH! Money flying everywhere, fists pounding on skulls, Kiryu getting put in his place by the elder bosses, and roaming around with Nishiki- there's a real sense of insane fan service.

And I had not a single clue what was being said. But there's nothing like wandering into Shellac and getting drunk as fuck before beating the shit at anyone who decides to run into you. It's got this killer 80's vibe, that has so much color and energy. I fucking love it. The Karaoke song selections are so ace- hearing the background ad lib from Kiryu on Rouge was hilarious!

Oh. My. God. I so wish this would come over digitally to the West, I want so much more. Wowsers.

BIGWORM

it's so awesome to see Kamurucho with so much dirty, grit, and dim lighting. It's like a whole new place. Walking by Serena when you first started brought flashbacks of 4. Kiryu has so much swagger, he makes the camera bob up and down.

Seriously.

Tizoc

Played it, loved it and now I'm pissed it's not coming over :p The cycle continues....
To be fair, most westerners would rather play a linear shooty bang with pretty set pieces, then beat the living shit out of idiots as a brash badass entrepreneur in late 80s Japan.

...but I will gladly buy the JP ver. then instantly buy the Eng. release in 2017 if it comes to it.

Top Bottom