• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Freak x SEGA collaboration on the way?

L~A

RPG site just received this portcard...

B_Qbvl7XIAAQ3qu.jpg:large

Source

Could it be the SEGA anime/game project teased a few days ago?

JoeM86

It's also worth noting that Game Freak said a couple of months ago that their new project will be revealed soon.

Also note that Game Freak aren't owned by Nintendo and do many projects away from Pokémon, most recently the hugely popular 3DS and iOS game, Solitiba

KarasuEXE

PULSEMAN 2

let me dream

Edit: That looks absolutely nothing like Pulseman, should have seen the pictures first.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just to get a better context, can Game Freak develop for non-Nintendo consoles? How much did that happen recently?

EDIT: So, ony Solitiba (which was on 3DS as well, by the way)?

JoeM86

Just to get a better context, can Game Freak develop for non-Nintendo consoles? How much did that happen recently?

EDIT: So, ony Solitiba (which was on 3DS as well, by the way)?

Game Freak are an independent studio, not owned by Nintendo. They can do what they want. They developed Pulseman on the Mega Drive, for example.

If it's Sega I'm guessing it's mobile since I don't know why they wouldn't go with Nintendo otherwise.

Bingo.

jonno394

For some reason I get the impression of a match 3 type game because of the three pieces of food in a straight line on the reverse.

I hope it's something original rather than a copy of current ideas.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, I know they're not owned by Nintendo, just wanted to know better about their more recent output.

Also, 11th March? It's next Thursday, so this is certainly going to be announced in Famitsu's next issue.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If it's Sega I'm guessing it's mobile since I don't know why they wouldn't go with Nintendo otherwise.

And so it begins...interested to see what they will work on. Would be funny seeing them develop a Pokemon clone for mobile systems lol.

Volotaire

Yeah, I know they're not owned by Nintendo, just wanted to know better about their more recent output.

Also, 11th March? It's next Thursday, so this is certainly going to be announced in Famitsu's next issue.

I would not be surprised if it the information is leaked a few days earlier too.

L~A

Next Wednesday, actually ;)

JoeM86

Ok, so just for fun, I'm going to do a Game Freak lesson here :)

Game Freak are an independent studio. While they are known for Pokémon and for having close ties to Nintendo (developing Yoshi in 1991 and Mario & Wario in 1995), they are independent and have developed on Mega Drive, iOS and PS1. Pokémon is co-owned by Nintendo and will never be on non-Nintendo formats

Now, in Game Freak, they have two standard teams (though this may have changed as development needs have increased). One for the main Pokémon games that start a generation and one for remakes/enhanced versions. There's quite a bit of overlap between these teams.

Now, obviously they don't want to just do only Pokémon so a few years back they set up a system that allowed for their developers to pitch ideas and, if they've got worth, they can compile a small team and develop it. This is how James Turner's HarmoKnight came to be. Then Solitiba got developed through this and that team worked on the 3DS version at first, and then the iOS version.

This is likely to be another of their small ideas that have come to light. Game Freak's content is always top quality, HarmoKnight was massively fun and Solitiba is ridiculously addictive, so this should be good.

But the same applies to HAL and IS, too, doesn't it? Though they didn't make any phone games...

And Creatures Inc., too. They recently released a bizarre "game" featuring a llama on iOS called aDanza. It's inexplicable. https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/adanza/id890734545?mt=8

These studios have very close ties to Nintendo, but they can work on other formats if they do so wish, especially Game Freak.

18-Volt

Sonic's already got a ton of friends, and now Game Freak is giving one? No, thanks. I still haven't got over the one BioWare gave.

L~A

But the same applies to HAL and IS, too, doesn't it? Though they didn't make any phone games...

True, but they have much stronger ties with Nintendo.

HAL: current Nintendo president, Iwata, comes from there.
IS: they've always worked with Nintendo, and they even made some of the dev tools for Nintendo consoles.

Meanwhile, Game Freak is only tied to Nintendo via Pokémon (which almost didn't come on GameBoy at all).

JoeM86

Meanwhile, Game Freak is only tied to Nintendo via Pokémon (which almost didn't come on GameBoy at all).

Whoa whoa...where'd you hear that? My understanding was that the Game Boy is what caused Tajiri to push his idea, due to the link cable.

Brofield

Pokemon knockoff where Sonic has to capture all his sidekicks?

Tails, Knuckles, Rouge, Shadow, Chaotic, Big, Amy...there are enough to fill a SegaDex at this point.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Oh shoot, I was assuming it was going to be 3DS game. Hmm I will wait and see before making any judgement.

In a parallel universe somewhere there exist a universe where Pokémon didn't get release on the game boy... I wonder what universe is like.

Whoa whoa...where'd you hear that? My understanding was that the Game Boy is what caused Tajiri to push his idea, due to the link cable.

I am surprised that you didn't know this but Nintendo originally rejected the concept citing that they didn't understand the appeal of the game. Had Miyamoto not stepped in and convince them Pokémon would have not existed.

Top Bottom