• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Freak x SEGA collaboration on the way?

Obviously its an elephant of some sort, looks like he's throwing peanuts and grenades at a mouse.

i always thought something like that Pokemon Launcher mini game in BW/2 was fun..just annoying in context when you're trying to move over a lot of Pokemon.

Would be neat to see that expanded into a full game. Kind of like a shooting gallery x wack-a-mole thing.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Sony has multiple studios (mostly not Japanese) that nearly exclusively make games for them--Housemarq, Ready At Dawn, thatgamecompany. None with the history of Gamefreak, but Gamefreak basically struck it rich and early with Pokemon, and Nintendo owns Pokemon, so...

Pokemon relationship:

Nintendo own the publishing rights to the Pokemon franchise in the video game space.

The money generated through software sales pass through Nintendo's financials firstly, and are then re-distributed to The Pokemon Company as they are co-publishers. Thus, the bulk of the money goes to Nintendo, and then a small percentage is given to TPC.

Nintendo holds certain trademarks pertaining to the Pokemon franchise, such as the Pokemon logo, and Pokemon character names among others.

In addition, Nintendo holds a 32% interest in The Pokemon Company, and a small percentage in Creatures Inc (sadly Nintendo does not want to disclose the amount/percentage).

The Pokemon Company acts as a brand management. As such, any licensed ventures, tv shows, movies, music, pokemon centers, spin-off games, trading cards, are directly handled by them. Hence, any income generated from the mentioned go directly through The Pokemon Company.

In essence, The Pokemon Company is an independent company that handles the Pokemon license. It acts in the best interest of all three shareholders: Nintendo, Game Freak, Creatures Inc; hence the reason Pokemon is available on mobile platforms.

The Pokemon Company can't distance themselves from Nintendo as they hold the publishing duties and several trademarks related to the franchise, and Nintendo can't distance themselves from TPC as they are the creative force behind Pokemon.

ash_ag

What I don't get is why would Game Freak need Sega if they've already self-published a game on mobile already?

They don't. Solitiba is already receiving a very high-tier marketing push, so, that isn't an issue either. The collaboration is almost certainly a result of one of the parties (or both) wanting to work with the other.

If I had to hazard a guess, it looks like it will be similar to HarmoKnight where you tap to collect peanuts but skip the grenades and other hazards.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
hard_n64.gif

Ha! For once I actually know something that most of GAF doesn't, this is a Wide Boy 64!

UNCE23y.jpg

http://www.chrismcovell.com/wideboy64.html

Anyway, as most people should know by now, the "Wide Boy" units are development systems (manufactured by a subsidiary of Nintendo, Intelligent Systems) used by licensees to test their GB, GBC, and GBA games on a TV screen or monitor, rather than the awful screen of said portable systems. Game magazines and retailers also used these WideBoys to display or promote games to the public.

Zubz

Banned
Didn't they already collaborate for that horse racing game awhile back? IIRC, that was a mobile game, too.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
By the way, not completely relevant, but Sugimori has been posting some of his old sketches recently. Yesterday he posted a few sketches for Jerry Boy 2.

VmaTMGV.jpg

It was rumoured to be more or less complete before being cancelled. The reason is speculated to be Sony's (who was the publisher) release of PlayStation around that time. Shame it was never at least ported to PS1, especially considering Click Medic, another Game Freak x Sony game released on PlayStation in 1999.

I just picked up Smart Ball while retro shopping the other day...and had no idea it was developed by Sugimori. The controls are a bit too stiff to keep me from enjoying it fully but neat game nevertheless.

I remember how everyone got hyped for the Solitiba shit, till it ended up being a really funky game we never saw outside of Japan (but I'd like to try it).
It's also the first game Pokémon's former sound lead Go Ichinose designed and lead development for, which I think is a good sign the game's worth localizing based on its quality.

Hopefully Sugimori's behind this collaboration, but Turner and Ichinose teaming up would also be cool. Tajiri returning to game development's the wildcard!

Pokemon X Chao Garden
Game Freak can't even get the latest Pokémon games to perform reliably whether or not 3D's on—they're not who I'd trust with programming SEGA's A-LIFE game systems, and Hashimoto (one of the programmers behind A-LIFE and the Luminous Engine) is off doing other stuff nowadays.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Game Freak can't even get the latest Pokémon games to perform reliably whether or not 3D's on—they're not who I'd trust with programming SEGA's A-LIFE game systems, and Hashimoto (one of the programmers behind A-LIFE and the Luminous Engine) is off doing other stuff nowadays.

They also got something like HarmoKnight running in 60fps even in 3D with pretty decent visuals. I imagine Pokémon has a lot of stuff going on in the background that taxes the CPU and keeps it from running very well. Either that or different teams? I don't know.

Okay, now this has my attention. I wonder what system it will be on. 3DS?

Likelihood: 100%.

I'm endlessly curious about what the hell this ends up being. It's quite odd that there hasn't been more buzz; even if it does end up being a mobile game, we could have another Monster Strike on our hands.

Dr. Buni

Hopefully it has nothing to do with Pokémon. Some of Game Freak best games aren't in the Pokémon franchise, but they just keep milking it endlessly... I'd kill for a Drill Doze 2 :(

Pulseman 2 or new IP pls

Hopefully it has nothing to do with Pokémon. Some of Game Freak best games aren't in the Pokémon franchise, but they just keep milking it endlessly... I'd kill for a Drill Doze 2 :(

Pulseman 2 or new IP pls

Everything from the teaser looks like a clean break for the stylings of Pokemon. For example: real animals, and grenades.

Also, SEGA!

Rymuth

By the way, not completely relevant, but Sugimori has been posting some of his old sketches recently. Yesterday he posted a few sketches for Jerry Boy 2.

VmaTMGV.jpg

It was rumoured to be more or less complete before being cancelled. The reason is speculated to be Sony's (who was the publisher) release of PlayStation around that time. Shame it was never at least ported to PS1, especially considering Click Medic, another Game Freak x Sony game released on PlayStation in 1999.
Sugimori's art is lovely...i dont know why, but it really hits me right where I live.

FluxWaveZ

So... uh, this hasn't happened yet, right? If not, it should in a bit, unless the announcement's been delayed or something.

JoeM86

Doesn't look like it was in Corocoro either, seeing as that usually leaks on the 10th. It's also getting somewhat late in Japan by now and there's been no word of it. It could be more western-focused.

Na, CoroCoro leaks are weird. They can come any time from 5 days before release to the day before release. There's no set time it leaks.

Worst case scenario for Pokémon stuff is two days before, but who knows with this.

Top Bottom