• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Freak x SEGA collaboration on the way?

L~A

Whoa whoa...where'd you hear that? My understanding was that the Game Boy is what caused Tajiri to push his idea, due to the link cable.

Didn't they pitch the idea to other publishers really early?

Well, even if my memory's faulty (probably is, ha ha), the thing is they didn't have to make it a GB game (which is what I'm driving at here). Then of course, once Pokémon came out, it was too late to jump ships.

JoeM86

I am surprised that you didn't know this but Nintendo originally rejected the concept citing that they didn't understand the appeal of the game. Had Miyamoto not stepped in and convince them Pokémon would have not existed.

I was under the impression that Tajiri was afraid that they'd reject it, but Miyamoto stepped in and helped make it what it is. Not that it was ever actually rejected.

That looks like James Turner's art, so I'm guessing it's a title with the scale of Harmoknight, if not a little smaller and mobile-focused.

The Sega collaboration's interesting, though- maybe a bigger international mobile project?

JoeM86

That looks like James Turner's art, so I'm guessing it's a title with the scale of Harmoknight, if not a little smaller and mobile-focused.

The Sega collaboration's interesting, though- maybe a bigger international mobile project?

Could be an arcade project, seeing as it's Sega.

Didn't know this at all!

Wow, strange that Nintendo keeps asking them for the Pokemon games then.
They can't even make smooth 3D pokemon game on the 3DS.

Nintendo doesn't control the Pokémon series. Game Freak has majority control (only by 2%), with Nintendo and Creatures Inc. owning the rest. Nintendo steps in with publishing and aiding in development, while keeping exclusivity. Spin-off titles are decided by The Pokémon Company, which is run by Creatures Inc. CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Didn't know this at all!

Wow, strange that Nintendo keeps asking them for the Pokemon games then.
They can't even make smooth 3D pokemon game on the 3DS.

You think it's strange that they ask a developer who consistently made multi-million selling games in a franchise to continue making said games? Or do you think it's strange they ask a co-owner of the brand to continue working on it?

Nintendo doesn't control the Pokémon series. Game Freak has majority control (only by 2%), with Nintendo and Creatures Inc. owning the rest. Nintendo steps in with publishing and aiding in development, while keeping exclusivity. Spin-off titles are decided by The Pokémon Company, which is run by Creatures Inc. CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that.

Makes sense now.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Return of Rolo!

48024_front.jpg

ash_ag

Didn't they pitch the idea to other publishers really early?

Well, even if my memory's faulty (probably is, ha ha), the thing is they didn't have to make it a GB game (which is what I'm driving at here). Then of course, once Pokémon came out, it was too late to jump ships.

I don't think Pokémon was pitched to anyone else, since the core idea was meant for Game Boy to begin with.

Game Freak has been involved with Nintendo through numerous other ways though. In the olden days, they worked on plenty Mario spin-offs, and they helped develop certain hardware (like Game Boy Camera). Some of their more recent (so to speak) non-Pokémon games are also Nintendo properties in the same way that Pokémon is. More importantly, many of their producers come from a Nintendo background.

They are also deeply affiliated with Ape/Creatures, a different independent company with a strong Nintendo history. Ape's founder Tsunekazu Ishihara is the president of TPC and majorly responsible for the franchise's success. Ironically, Satoshi Tajiri published a love/hate review for Mother (aka Earthbound 0) when it first released, before establishing Game Freak as a game studio. He sounded equally critical and inspired by the game.

They are pretty independent though, and this project shows it. Sugimori never hid his love for Sega. :p

Yoshi

Nope, completely independent.

Is such a relationship like Game Freak's, or more importantly, HAL's and IS's to Nintendo common in Japan? I cannot think of any other company with such strong ties to another one and such a big loyalty, too.

SerTapTap

Is such a relationship like Game Freak's, or more importantly, HAL's and IS's to Nintendo common in Japan? I cannot think of any other company with such strong ties to another one and such a big loyalty, too.

Sony has multiple studios (mostly not Japanese) that nearly exclusively make games for them--Housemarq, Ready At Dawn, thatgamecompany. None with the history of Gamefreak, but Gamefreak basically struck it rich and early with Pokemon, and Nintendo owns Pokemon, so...

JoeM86

Sony has multiple studios (mostly not Japanese) that nearly exclusively make games for them--Housemarq, Ready At Dawn, thatgamecompany. None with the history of Gamefreak, but Gamefreak basically struck it rich and early with Pokemon, and Nintendo owns Pokemon, so...

Erm...not quite, but that's a long and interestingly boring story for another day haha

IS is an internal Nintendo first-party video game development team located in the Nintendo Kyoto Research Center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_development_teams

Intelligent Systems is weird. If I recall correctly, they are separate, but they worked in Nintendo's offices. They never show up on Nintendo's list of studios owned.

IS is an internal Nintendo first-party video game development team located in the Nintendo Kyoto Research Center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_development_teams

Wikipedia is wrong.

Intelligent Systems has their own building close to Nintendo HQ, and they're a third-party who can make non-Nintendo games if they desired (but they're not going to).

The capital funding for Intelligent Systems is privately-sourced...Nintendo does NOT invest any money into that company NOR do they own a majority ownership in IS.

ash_ag

By the way, not completely relevant, but Sugimori has been posting some of his old sketches recently. Yesterday he posted a few sketches for Jerry Boy 2.

VmaTMGV.jpg

It was rumoured to be more or less complete before being cancelled. The reason is speculated to be Sony's (who was the publisher) release of PlayStation around that time. Shame it was never at least ported to PS1, especially considering Click Medic, another Game Freak x Sony game released on PlayStation in 1999.

Yoshi

Housemarq and thatgamecompany are just super-small studios that are in need of a publishing partner and are just developing small dl titles, Ready at Dawn has developed Okami Wii, so their loyalty seems to just be based on getting most of their projects contracted with Sony. IS and HAL could probably easily get their games published on other platforms, too, and looking at the "stellar" sales of GameCube and Wii U when compared with PS2 and PS4, the incentive would probably be huge. Of course they might not be able to use their brands, because Fire Emblem and Kirby are probably at least partially owned by Nintendo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It's being teased to Western websites.

What colors do you think we're going to be matching, you guys?

this only exists to piss off SEGA fans, there's no other logical reason

Lijik

While I dont doubt its mobile with Sega's current state, I dont know how anyone can guess that simply on the artstyle.

Robin64

Wikipedia is wrong.

Someone should really update the Wikipedia thing. It's what's meant to happen if things are wrong, right? ;)

The best part of the IS website is that they have these cool little pixel art icons for the various Nintendo systems.

hard_vb.gif
hard_fc.gif
hard_sf.gif
hard_gb.gif
hard_gbc.gif
hard_n64.gif
hard_gba.gif
hard_cube.gif
hard_dsi.gif
hard_wii_w.gif
hard_3ds.gif
hard_wii-u.gif

I propose we nick these for other things.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While I dont doubt its mobile with Sega's current state, I dont know how anyone can guess that simply on the artstyle.

To me the biggest sign is that Sega is publishing it which also means that Nintendo is not publishing it.

I mean, sure, it could just be an idea Nintendo is totally uninterested in or for PS4 or something, but given the choice of publisher (Sega has notable mobile success in Japan and some mobile success abroad) and that there's no real reason for Nintendo to not publish it if it's for 3DS/Wii U, this suggests a mobile game to me.

Sega also isn't a great choice for other platforms either unless it's a PC game.

JazzmanZ

I like how people are saying its mobile based off art style.
Like, for all we know it could be a 3DS platformer RPG.

Steroyd

Also note that Game Freak aren't owned by Nintendo and do many projects away from Pokémon, most recently the hugely popular 3DS and iOS game, Solitiba

Well this bit of information just blew my mind, Game Freak are independant AND makes none Pokemon games lol.

To me the biggest sign is that Sega is publishing it which also means that Nintendo is not publishing it.

I mean, sure, it could just be an idea Nintendo is totally uninterested in or for PS4 or something, but given the choice of publisher (Sega has notable mobile success in Japan and some mobile success abroad) and that there's no real reason for Nintendo to not publish it if it's for 3DS/Wii U, this suggests a mobile game to me.

Sega also isn't a great choice for other platforms either unless it's a PC game.

If this will be SEGA's multimedia project, it might still be a 3DS game. It doesn't seem Nintendo is entering in the animation market anytime soon, outside of licensing and short movies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I remember how everyone got hyped for the Solitiba shit, till it ended up being a really funky game we never saw outside of Japan (but I'd like to try it).

I imagine that's the situation here, except maybe it'll come to the West (I guess Solitiba didn't since it was based around gambling on horse races).

Return of Rolo!

I fucking loved this game as a kid.

Top Bottom