• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Twitch streamer: "Lurking in the chat is the same as pirating movies."

Realyn

http://www.twitch.tv/summit1g/v/3890361?t=6015s (link might not work yet - it's 1 hour and 40 minutes in)

Is this where we are at now? I'm completly fine with people donating a bunch of money. Why not? I'm also not the one to judge. What frustrates me is how this started to affect almost every stream. Even the smaller channels with 10 viewers have their "sub goal" displayed. Oh and annoying pop ups, sounds and all that. Don't get me wrong. People being able to live from streaming is a very cool thing and I'm not taking their time for granted. I subbed/donated here and there to support both some smaller channels and twich in the past, but finding those channels is getting more and more rare by the day - at least for me.

My worst experience happened with DA:I. Some people unlocked it early and I wanted to get some PC impressions. After switching through countless channels I find some guy who entered a house, walked up to the quest npc and started to thank people from his chat. Then he looked back at the game, but he already forgot what he was trying to do in there. So he left the building. Just to look at the chat. Then he opened his map and thanked some more people ... you can guess where this is going.

stufte

And your stream is ad supported buddy. Quit whining and just play your games and be thankful you get money for doing something as fun as playing games.

He's also sponsored by a bunch of places. I like this guy less and less.

panel-26490481-image-21740699805019b8-320.png

panel-26490481-image-5bf462cf446e3911-320.png

panel-26490481-image-68446bb8a2e419c3-320.png

panel-26490481-image-65feb065c1ba96c1-320.png

"I do this as my full time job so donations are very much appreciated, but will never be asked for. "

No, you'll only try to shame money out of those who don't.

Welfare

Lol all twitch is is a place to watch people live stream. No one is "supposed" to give you money and you are not entitled to it.

That's why I stick to longplays.

By the way, is there some good "silent" (non person-focused) streamers, who just... stream games and nothing more? Well, at least without awful overlays/chat interactivity/etc.

Oh wow. you're a twitch streamer, not beethoven. I bet he's one of the shrill screamy ones too that gets all his views from 10 year olds. Also, if You think the service you provide is so valuable then don't let people watch for free, see how long you survive.

markot

Banned

By the way, is there some good "silent" (non person-focused) streamers, who just... stream games and nothing more? Well, at least without awful overlays/chat interactivity/etc.

Why would you want to watch someone else play a game silently?

Nanashrew

Banned
Lmao

His logic is so flawed. He's not entitled to the money. I always hide chat too unless there's an event then GAF chat will happen.

Gilly

I haven't really found any I tried doing that with my Twitch channel with no success I don't think there is enough people who want it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I will never understand people who waste their precious free time watching other people play games. Looking at combo tutorials in fighting games is one thing. Looking at other people play through entire games seems like the opposite of what I like the most about gaming: having the player decide what to do. It is primarily what sets it apart from other more passive forms of entertainment (movies, TV, etc).

Zekes!

I'm not sure how I feel about people using streams and YouTube as their career. On one hand, it's cool if they can manage it, but there is this one youtuber I occassionally watch, who hasn't yet gained a ton of views or followers, and from an early point he was asking people to donate, or support his patreon and talking like he had the expectation of creating youtube content as a full time gig.

K.Sabot

Streams have gone to shit with all the donation bs, I'm at the point where I hope my favorite streamers don't get become too successful because it will ruin their content.

Eggbok

Reason why I don't watch many 'big' streamers now. There is so much entitlement, and all they're doing is playing a game lol.

Marceles

If a stream monster truly enjoys the content and feels they deserve a sub or donation, they'll do it. It's not like the streamer is wasting their time. The lurker might feel like there's too many people chatting already and don't need to add anything more than a "LOL" or an emote in the chat. There might be lurkers, but it's still a stream view. It's like a radio DJ being upset that every person listening isn't also calling in. Be happy they're listening at least. The only popular streamer I really pay attention to is Lirik. The dude is funny and just plays the game.

Dryk

I will never understand people who waste their precious free time watching other people play games. Looking at combo tutorials in fighting games is one thing. Looking at other people play through entire games seems like the opposite of what I like the most about gaming: having the player decide what to do. It is primarily what sets it apart from other more passive forms of entertainment (movies, TV, etc).
I like hearing people's running commentary on games I've already played, but I'm not huge on watching large amounts of games I haven't.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thats a bit much but I feel a bit sad if I see someone comes in and doesn't say anything since I like talking to the chat while playing more lax games.

That's why I put "silent" in brackets. What I meant is some streamers who focus more on actual games and less of themselves.

As for longplays go - well, I don't like playing some game genres at all, but I like to watch how someone plays them. The lack of voice, overlays etc. help me enjoy the game in at least some point.

Orca

http://www.twitch.tv/summit1g/v/3890361?t=6015s (link might not work yet - it's 1 hour and 40 minutes in)

Is this where we are at now? I'm completly fine with people donating a bunch of money. Why not? I'm also not the one to judge. What frustrates me is how this started to affect almost every stream. Even the smaller channels with 10 viewers have their "sub goal" displayed. Oh and annoying pop ups, sounds and all that. Don't get me wrong. People being able to live from streaming is a very cool thing and I'm not taking their time for granted. I subbed/donated here and there to support both some smaller channels and twich in the past, but finding those channels is getting more and more rare by the day - at least for me.

My worst experience happened with DA:I. Some people unlocked it early and I wanted to get some PC impressions. After switching through countless channels I find some guy who entered a house, walked up to the quest npc and started to thank people from his chat. Then he looked back at the game, but he already forgot what he was trying to do in there. So he left the building. Just to look at the chat. Then he opened his map and thanked some more people ... you can guess where this is going.

It's pretty much the same way I look at YouTube videos now. I try to watch some game footage and a 5 minute clip will have 2 minutes taken up by intro graphic, begging for likes,subs, and shares, and then an outro that shows other videos they want you to watch AND HEY DON'T FORGET TO LIKE, SUB, AND SHARE! THANKS!

Man vs game has a SUBSCIBER ask him to do a certain thing in a game and he told him to get the fuck out of here. Twitch promotes entilted fucks like him

Because most of the time if I'm watching something other than dota tournaments(or SC2/LoL when I'm bored), I don't care about the person playing, I care about seeing the game played from a different perspective(or if it's a new game, seeing the game played at all to get an early impression not reliant on biased opinions/"journalist" reviews). I don't mind it too much if there's light commentary, for example I don't mind Kripp's stream too much even though he talks about stuff, I hate when people stop playing to do stream nonsense and generally just close it right away.

I'd rather watch a stream that has 2viewers(me and the guy streaming I assume) where I get to see the game than have some random person I don't care about reading donation messages from other persons I don't care about every 20seconds with annoying sounds firing everytime he gets one and huge pop ups everywhere. I get that's how you build your viewers base and increase your revenue, but I'm not watching that.

I left this running and he says it was a bad analogy and then later says that donations are never necessary to watch and should never be. Not sure what the deal is.

I use to watch this guy from time to time when he only played CS and he was always so grateful for donations and so nice to the chat, that's why he has a huge following now.

It's a problem with some streamers. I've noted even in ones that seem to do it more for fun, and don't play the highly-watched material, still get more caught up than ever in doing subscriber alerts, donation shoutouts, and hyping sub-only emotes.

Annoying, but I imagine it's something that will shift as Twitch matures. We're still in the gold rush stage, where people are still blown away by the fact that they're getting money to do this shit.

SJRB

Gold Member

Not sure what your "streamers get distracted by subscription sounds and other bullshit" argument [which I 100% agree with] has anything to do with Summit's claim that watching a stream is basically piracy.

Top Bottom