• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Twitch streamer: "Lurking in the chat is the same as pirating movies."

I"m new to the whole streaming thing and mostly just browse on PS4, but the streams that try to be too "professional" are the ones I find the most annoying. The entire time all you hear is:
"CornyDog445 thanks for the follow man"
"Remember guys just hit that sub button"
"What's up QuailManX99?"
"Hit that sub button if you want to be entered to win a $100 PSN gift card"
"AnalQueen77 thanks for the follow man"
"Remember guys hit that sub button we're having the drawing once we hit 1000 followers"

It's caused me to purposely seek out streams that have like 5 or 6 viewers because they are usually people actually just streaming and talking about the game and not trying to start up some "NASTY RON NATION" subscription service or whatever other bullshit you see from people trying to make a living out of this.

It's pretty much the same way I look at YouTube videos now. I try to watch some game footage and a 5 minute clip will have 2 minutes taken up by intro graphic, begging for likes,subs, and shares, and then an outro that shows other videos they want you to watch AND HEY DON'T FORGET TO LIKE, SUB, AND SHARE! THANKS!

BECAUSE YOU OWE ME I DONT DO THIS FOR THE LOVE OF GAMING OR LIFE JUST TO INFLATE MY EGO AND OR WALLET.

LINK TO SPONSORS IN THE DESCRIPTION!

Aeana

That's why I stick to longplays.

By the way, is there some good "silent" (non person-focused) streamers, who just... stream games and nothing more? Well, at least without awful overlays/chat interactivity/etc.

I do that. And inevitably I get at least one person telling me my stream sucks. Can't please everyone!

Chaos17

giphy.gif

This

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That's why I stick to longplays.

By the way, is there some good "silent" (non person-focused) streamers, who just... stream games and nothing more? Well, at least without awful overlays/chat interactivity/etc.

I used to do that but it's really annoying to have to go to the keyboard to reply to people about stuff. It's just easier to answer questions by talking especially in more action focused titles.

Ruff

Complaining about not getting paid by lurkers, while streaming a game he didn't make, and playing music he doesn't have the rights to broadcast.

oh man 10/10.

Nanashrew

Banned
why would we have to pay him? if he wants gated access to his content he can get off twitch and go be irrelevant somewhere else.

Because he makes it available for us to watch it for free? He could be like Giant Bomb and charge people to watch your stream, but of course then he'd starve.

It's something to think about and how flawed his thinking is that watching his content, or lurking without subbing or donating is like pirating a movie.

It's caused me to purposely seek out streams that have like 5 or 6 viewers because they are usually people actually just streaming and talking about the game and not trying to start up some "NASTY RON NATION" subscription service or whatever other bullshit you see from people trying to make a living out of this.

...Can you tell me more about this "NASTY RON NATION"?

I will never understand people who waste their precious free time watching other people play games. Looking at combo tutorials in fighting games is one thing. Looking at other people play through entire games seems like the opposite of what I like the most about gaming: having the player decide what to do. It is primarily what sets it apart from other more passive forms of entertainment (movies, TV, etc).

Couldn't you ask the same about people that like to watch football? Or any other sport?
They do it because it's entertaining, for any number of reasons.
I like to watch DOTA 2 streams of people that are way better than me. I also like to watch football games of people that are way better than me.

I also like to watch people streaming if they're funny/entertaining. If there was a football player that had some "gimmick" to show while playing, I'd enjoy to watch that player too.

styl3s

I don't even bother watching people on Twitch that have over 500 people watching because they either have one of those stupid fake personalities and/or they hawk the sub/donate shit every 2 goddamn seconds and half the screen is dedicated to the highest donations and they add stipulations for shoutouts like $3 so people just spam it and have them say dumb shit.

I find myself using twitch less and less and it gets more popular because it just becomes full of more fake people and if you are into the top streamers that's cool it's just not my cup of tea. I would rather watch someone with a few viewers who is legitimately into the game and takes the time to actually talk and have a conversation with his viewers.

I do that. And inevitably I get at least one person telling me my stream sucks. Can't please everyone!

Fact: regarding any human activity, at least one person will tell it sucks. So that's nothing to worry about. Thanks for the info, I will check you up!

I streamed myself playing BioShock Infinite once. I had one viewer
she was my friend
. I'm impressed that some people have the personality in some cases to draw in such a huge crowd from nothing. I'm incredibly boring when I play, and I kinda got nervous streaming because I wasn't sure if I was even interesting to watch. Of course, a lot of streamers rely on sex appeal, too, which I obviously don't have either. Or they're just really good at the game as well. Nobody wants to watch a Bronze guy stream League of Legends (me).

Marceles

Lmao, yeah I personally just want to play the game myself. I don't really see the point in talking when the chat isn't busy anyway.

I used to do that but it's really annoying to have to go to the keyboard to reply to people about stuff. It's just easier to answer questions by talking especially in more action focused titles.

Occasional question answering via microphone is nice. Random sounds, overlays and screaming pseudo-personalities are not.

Aeana

Fact: regarding any human activity, at least one person will tell it sucks. So that's nothing to worry about. Thanks for the info, I will check you up!

Oh, sure. It doesn't bother me at all. I don't even care if anybody watches; I stream to Twitch primarily because I like to have video to look back at, and Twitch makes keeping archives like that easy (and it makes getting it on YouTube easy, too), all without taking up my own hard drive space.

Boba2007

The guys over at Vinesauce are my favorite streamers. They never ask for subscribers, read and interact the chat, and the only thing they have on screen is the game and sometimes a facecam (most of them don't even have one). Heck, they even show fanart people make at the end of the stream. All of this makes me want to subscribe to them more than any other stream that has what OP is talking about.

So yeah, go check Vinesauce out if you want. I wish more streamers were like them.

Gintoki

I've seen some streams where the streamer makes a fake currency for his channel. The more you're on his stream, you get more of the currency which lets you enter raffles/join their multiplayer games. They're crafty.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Occasional question answering via microphone is nice. Random sounds, overlays and screaming pseudo-personalities are not.

That might be why I don't get many regulars. lol I just kinda have the game on screen and am very quiet for the most part unless I'm reading a note in-game, a bit frustrated, or the chat is active.

If he was complaining about people using ad-blocker he's statement would hold more weight. I lurk in pretty much every channel I follow and most times have it on in the background while I do other things. They're still getting their ad revenue from me being there regardless of how often I chat.

And I agree it has gotten a little out of hand with the subs/donations. It's rare to find a channel that doesn't have some sort of obnoxious pop-up and/or sounds play every time someone follows, subs, or donates. I can think of only one channel I follow that doesn't have notifications pop on screen.

Yagharek

Given the loose interpretation of the word 'interactive' in some genres these days, many twitch streamers are closer to pirates than their viewers are.

-MD-

Was watching Castro play fifa the other day and someone donated $100, why!

I mocked someone one time for donating $150 to a girl bragging about her new laptop she got through donations and he put up another $350 in my name to spite me.

Real talk this streamer is boring as fuck, his donation page shows he's gotten like 50k+ donations.

Liamneesonwhy.gif

Spenny

Was he joking (can't get VOD on mobile)? I'm not a follower or sub but usually Summit is a chill dude. He's also a smart ass who fucks with his chat. I can't se him seriously saying that. Also, dude makes $20k a month just on subs. Don't think he'd be begging for money,

Top Bottom