• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari blocks Jeff Minter from releasing TxK on PC, VR, PS4

https://twitter.com/llamasoft_ox

So yeah all the stuff we had ready or near ready will now never see the light of day.No TxK PC, PS4, Oculus, GearVR, Android. Thank "Atari".
Real disappointing, I was looking forward to playing it. Must be devastating to put in all that work just to have it shut down.

#freethellama

update: Eurogamer
He also claims Atari continue to "insist" TxK be removed from sale from the PlayStation Store, and he sign papers saying "I can never make a Tempest style game ever again".
Buy it now if you want it.

VNZ

Disgusting. Especially considering he actually developed Tempest 2000 for Atari when they were (sort of) still around as a game developer.

oldmario

if you rearrange "thanks atari" what do you get? SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and rithak from the left over letters

panda-zebra

Banned
Atari. A legal team of arseholes, not nearly worthy of the name they parade around with.

They deserve a huge backlash for this.

nampad

True Vita exclusive, I guess you guys need to buy a Vita if you want to play :p
Wonder how it managed to get released on Vita though.

Man, what a bummer. The decaying corpse of Atari gets in the way of more people experiencing TxK .

Which Atari is this btw. ? The remnants of Infogrames US ?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Atari being scum. Who'da thunk it. I would've bought it, I love Jeff Minter's crazy games a lot. Not a good week for Mr. Minter, he seems quite concerned with Nintendo going mobile as well.

Time to flood @atari and facebook.com/atari with complaints, people.

Jeff Minter's been indie since before Indie was a THING, and I will NOT see one of gaming's Pioneers fucked over like this.

repeater

This is depressing. TxK is excellent and deserves a larger audience.
Does Atari really have any case here, legally speaking? You can't really copyright a genre.

This is depressing. TxK is excellent and deserves a larger audience.
Does Atari really have any case here, legally speaking? You can't really copyright a genre.
Does it really matter, if Jeff can't afford to engage in a costly legal battle over a game? (which probably has quite limited reach)

Buzzman

Banned
While this is absolutely an asshole move, can't say I'm that surprised. Doesn't the game like also straight up use sound effects from other games aswell?

DirtyLarry

Damn this sucks. I have the Vita version and it is kick ass.

I obviously do not know all of the details, but my first thought was although it requires work on his end, what if he just changed the color scheme up? It is pretty much using the same color scheme as the original Tempest, so I am curious if it is changed some, if that would be enough to differentiate it from the original to say it is it's own game.

I am over simplifying things obviously, but you get the point. I wonder if there are any changes that could be done that would make it so they no longer have legal ground to stand on.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Damn this sucks. I have the Vita version and it is kick ass.

I obviously do not know all of the details, but my first thought was although it requires work on his end, what if he just changed the color scheme up? It is pretty much using the same color scheme as the original Tempest, so I am curious if it is changed some, if that would be enough to differentiate it from the original to say it is it's own game.

I am over simplifying things obviously, but you get the point. I wonder if there are any changes that could be done that would make it so they no longer have legal ground to stand on.
Haha, he should change everything slightly and release it as Vortex 5K or somehing. I bet some knockoff already used Vortex as the name though.

Foshy

WHY

FUCK ATARI

i love txk on vita. i love the vr demo he released. i was so pumped to play it on morpheus when that came out.

this is some fucking bullshit and i haven't been angry at business decisions in videogames in a while.

repeater

Does it really matter, if Jeff can't afford to engage in a costly legal battle over a game? (which probably has quite limited reach)
Yeah, I guess the threat of an expensive and drawn out legal process is more of a problem than the likely outcome of such a process. Damn it, I wish Sony would throw its weight behind him or something.

moorecore

Neo Member
I was lucky enough to play the ps4 version at the Play expo in Blackpool in May of last year. It was rock solid then so I can't imagine just how much work has gone into it since. I fear we may have lost the first great Morpheus game :(

i1J5PHV.gif

How the hell does this work?

Is there any legal precedent for this?

Oppo

Sony, if you could spare some ninjas, the llama man needs an assist, thanks.

(Honestly they should help him out. I bet Sony's legal is a bit better than whatever "Atari" has these days.)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well, Jeff basically remade Tempest 2000.. so if he didn't really have permission.. he didn't really change up the look enough to call it just a clone. Sucks, but I mean.. did he think they wouldn't care?

Top Bottom