• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reasons to upgrade to a DS lite?

Memles

I'm probably going to trade in Nintendogs/Mario and Luigi 2 at EB and pick up one of these bad boys in mid-June. I figure the games will net me at least $40 CDN, so that should bring it down to a reasonable price of $110 that will fit in my budget.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I just got my Lite and all I can say is GOD DAMN these batteries last forever! Plus my original ds had a jiggly hinge so if i played laying on my back with the screens facing down, the screen would wiggle when I moved, so it got annoying. Don't have that problem with my Lite. It's much more comfy, the pointed sides of the original DS used to hurt my hands after long playtimes. Plus my tiny tiny hands like the smaller size. I can play during car rides in the daytime now! And did I mention that the batteries last forever? Not to mention it's so cute! I just need to get the rumble pack and a game with lots of rumbling.

Definitely worth the upgrade!

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Are most screen protectors generally a permanent kind of thing, as in if you mess up the first application, you're either stuck with it that way, or at best you can remove it but will be unable to reuse it, or are there any that can be reapplied if you goof it up the first time?

Galactic Fork

DarthWoo said:
Are most screen protectors generally a permanent kind of thing, as in if you mess up the first application, you're either stuck with it that way, or at best you can remove it but will be unable to reuse it, or are there any that can be reapplied if you goof it up the first time?

I got mine with an NDS starter kit licensed by Nintendo, I've taken them off a couple times to clean, and even transported from my DS to my DS Lite with no problem.

oblo

I've convinced myself that I need it by promising my girlfriend that she will get the old one as a gift when I get it.

It is superior in every way but it's still the same games, so I'm not in a hurry, I'll wait for a bundle/color in Euroland that I like.

Mrbob

radioheadrule83 said:
1. What are the advantages of the DS lite?

dslite2a.jpg

2. If you upgraded from the original DS was it worth it?

dslite3.jpg

dslite4.jpg

dslite5.jpg

3. Is the D-Pad better for the 2D Mario GBA games (I didn’t think the originals controls were as good as using a controller pad)?

The D-pad is more like the GBA Micro dpad. Its better definately. All of the buttons are small, but your fingers impress on them much more comfortably imo.

The biggest thing about this DS is obviously the HUGE light difference... but then there's the larger, more comfortable stylus that slots in the side... the smaller size and slightly lighter weight that makes it feel more comfortable to hold. Better microphone placement. Better power button. GBA slot cover.

I imported this and I was going to keep my old DS, but after a week with this thing I just didn't want the old one anymore. Trading up was worth it.

I'm glad you posted this, as it reinforces my decision to wait till June 11 for the Lite instead of going out and getting a DS today.

Emotions

Mrbob said:
I'm glad you posted this, as it reinforces my decision to wait till June 11 for the Lite instead of going out and getting a DS today.

You'll probably find reasons to bring it down anyways like you always do to anything related to Nintendo. :lol

Mrbob

Emotions said:
You'll probably find reasons to bring it down anyways like you always do to anything related to Nintendo. :lol

s4a_thumbs_up.jpg

You're still mad that I'm not too impressed with Castlevania Portrait of Ruin? ;)

Adaox

I spent $250 CND on an imported DS Lite shortly after it launched in japan and would do the same again in a heart beat. It's just such an amazing improvement over the original.

GreekWolf

Maybe I should make a separate thread on this... but what are the top 5 games on the DS right now?

I've decided to go pick one up this week, but need some advice on the "can't miss" titles :)

Galactic Fork

GreekWolf said:
Maybe I should make a separate thread on this... but what are the top 5 games on the DS right now?

I've decided to go pick one up this week, but need some advice on the "can't miss" titles :)

Wow! conjecture! everybody's different! but here are ones you're sure to see multiple times!

Phoenix Wright
Castlevania
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Ouendan
Advance Wars: DS
Meteos
New Super Mario Brothers

actually, just go read one of the 60 other "what ds games should i get" threads :)

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Tetris DS
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Metroid Prime: Hunters

My top 5, anyway. Advance Wars: Dual Strike as a wildcard.

GreekWolf

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Wow! conjecture! everybody's different! but here are ones you're sure to see multiple times!

Phoenix Wright
Castlevania
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Ouendan
Advance Wars: DS
Meteos
New Super Mario Brothers

actually, just go read one of the 60 other "what ds games should i get" threads :)
I would but, lazy bastard that I am, I don't feel like searching. :)

Castlevania and SMB are definite purchases. Are there any Golden Sun type of RPGs worth picking up?

Teddman

DarthWufei said:
Has anyone found out if NuShield screen protectors work with DS Lites?
Yeah, I second that. They installed by fitting underneath the border around the bottom screen, like the glass in a picture frame.

Check out this review:
http://got-next.com/features_read.php?id=236

Forgot to see if it looked like they would work on DS Lites at E3... Does anyone know? They were far and away the best protectors for regular DS's.

Crisis

Banned
I haven't heard anyone give impressions on the DS Lite outside during the day. Maybe NeoGAFers don't get outside so much, but for those who do, how is the DS Lite on the outside? A comparison to like, a mobile phone or PSP screen would do nicely. :)

Darmstadtium

Bandwagoner
Crisis said:
I haven't heard anyone give impressions on the DS Lite outside during the day. Maybe NeoGAFers don't get outside so much, but for those who do, how is the DS Lite on the outside? A comparison to like, a mobile phone or PSP screen would do nicely. :)

Check the official japanese launch thread; you should find a lot of picture comparisons there.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Thx for the great comparisons guys looks like I am sold.

GreekWolf said:

My top 5 DS games are

1. Mario Kart
2. Advance Wars
3. Mario 64
4. Castlevania
5. Kirby

My copy of New super Mario bros is about to ship and I think it’s the kind of game that would take out the number one spot. Some other games I am interested in I haven’t played yet are Tetris and Mario & Luigi.

demi

Reasons to upgrade to a DS Lite:

* It's smaller
* It's sexier
* It's brighter
* It lasts longer
* The buttons are better

Reasons not to upgrade to a DS Lite:

* The GBA Cart sticks out

The cons take the pros.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
1. the top screen, which looks really nice now
2. the bottom screen, which still has that slightly filmed overlay, but also looks pretty nice

i guess there's also some satisfaction in owning an attractive product -- the original ds was not an attractive product. the ds lite isn't as unpleasant to hold as the original ds, but it's still pretty brutal, particularly with a game like new smb. SOMEONE NEEDS TO MAKE A GRIP THING, POST-HASTE

My reason will probably be that my current system has trouble recognizing games sometimes.
It'll just appear as "no DS card inserted".

I have to say though that it made me smile a bit when I had to blow into the slot to get New Super Mario Bros to work.

Adagio

demi said:
Reasons not to upgrade to a DS Lite:

* The GBA Cart sticks out
But the protuding cart is also useful when holding the DSL with one hand. It's a nice little thumb grip.

drohne

civilstrife said:
My reason will probably be that my current system has trouble recognizing games sometimes.

my ds lite has been doing that. i'll cry if it breaks. and i doubt i'll bother replacing it.

Rotanibor

civilstrife said:

I have to say though that it made me smile a bit when I had to blow into the slot to get New Super Mario Bros to work.

Are you sure that isn't just a problem with New Super Mario Bros.? Mine did that also on my clunky DS as well. Well first the game crashed, and then when it booted back up it said no game card was inserted.

mutsu

I am currently selling my DS on eBay in order to get my DS Lite on 1st of June in Australia. Can't wait!

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
civilstrife said:

drohne said:
my ds lite has been doing that. i'll cry if it breaks. and i doubt i'll bother replacing it.

Wow two complaints about Nintendo products (that’s not a 20 year old NES) in one thread!

Did either of you try calling Nintendo to fix the problem? There normal good about that kind of stuff.

quick question are we suppose to charge the system when we first get he system?

if so how long is the initial charge and can you play while its charging?

drohne

my lite is obviously imported, so nintendo won't cover me. it's only failed to recognize an inserted card a couple times, though -- once with mario kart, once with new smb. i doubt it's anything major.

demi

Kabuki Waq said:
quick question are we suppose to charge the system when we first get he system?

if so how long is the initial charge and can you play while its charging?

Generally you're supposed to charge it when you first buy it, it usually isn't long.

Yes, you can play it while charging. Just keep it plugged in when you're done.

Shompola

Banned
DarthWoo said:

The ones with silicon film applied on the screen protector are magnetic, no glue is needed... And you can easily remove them by taping a side of the screen protector and then pulling it up... You can wash the screen protector if you want, but it is not recommended as some of the silicon film will be removed in the process. Otherwise you can reuse them basically as much as you want.. well as long as the silicon film is still present on the screen protector...

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
cimg0269medium4hj.jpg

cimg0272medium0pd.jpg

Here are some old images from the official DS lite thread. I really think I need a white DSL, my Ice Blue I'll give to my Gf and my DS FAT I can give to her nephew....

Decisions... Decisions...

stalker

GreekWolf said:

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros.
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Kirby Power Paintbrush (Canvas Curse)

If you want to pass on Mario 64 (I wouldn't ...), change it for Phoenix Wright, Ouendan, Partners in Time, Trauma Center, Metroid Prime Hunters, Animal Crossing ...

Is Ouendan coming to NA at all? The game interests me, but I don't want to import if I don't have to.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
6.8 said:
Is Ouendan coming to NA at all? The game interests me, but I don't want to import if I don't have to.
They are making a sequel for NA with new songs and events, it's called Elite Beat Agents.

Top Bottom