• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead series that have been adequately replaced

After seeing video of Mario Kart 8's upcoming 200cc mode, I realized I have no need for another F-Zero anymore. The speed and racing gameplay is reborn in MK, not to mention the inclusion of an F-Zero track and kart:

s8OxGDh.gif

If there was never another F-Zero, I wouldn't miss it. If I ever wanted to revisit the series, F-Zero GX still exists.

What other dead series have good replacements?

Squire

Banned
After seeing video of Mario Kart 8's upcoming 200cc mode, I realized I have no need for another F-Zero anymore. The speed and racing gameplay is reborn in MK, not to mention the inclusion of an F-Zero track and kart:

s8OxGDh.gif

If there was never another F-Zero, I wouldn't miss it. If I ever wanted to revisit the series, F-Zero GX still exists.

kingofpopcorn1.gif

desu

s8OxGDh.gif

Is that gif from 200cc? Don't understand how that could replace F-Zero for anyone (I mean the speed is just not there ...).

Can I use this thread to find a good replacement for Sid Meier's Pirates!? The remake they released yeeeeears ago was great--I wish it had a followup.

Mupod

I hate you, OP.

Anyways, Bayonetta and Platinum's other games in that genre are a fine substitute for DMC. I mean, I'd like to see it make a proper return, but it's not eating me up inside since Bayonetta 2 was so great and I'm sure we'll get Rising 2 soon enough.

alf717

Can I use this thread to find a good replacement for Sid Meier's Pirates!? The remake they released yeeeeears ago was great--I wish it had a followup.

Oh my 2004 was a great year with that game. I might just do another play through now that you mentioned it. I would love to see Sid Meier do another entry in this series. I wish there was a way to properly play this game in wide screen.

Oh my 2004 was a great year with that game. I might just do another play through now that you mentioned it. I would love to see Sid Meier do another entry in this series. I wish there was a way to properly play this game in wide screen.

Yup! I loved it, and it was one of those rare PC games that my dad was willing to learn, as he used to play it on the Genesis way back in the day.

GamerJM

Banned
Mario Kart plays nothing like F-Zero. 200cc is just Mario Kart sped up. There's no boosting, there's still items, the art style is entirely different, the difficult isn't there, the vehicles don't handle like F-Zero at all.

Actual answers:
-While both are dead now, Split/Second felt like it would have been a nice replacement for Burnout if it took off, I got the same thrill from playing it.
-All of those random assorted indie games that take inspiration from Metroidvanias are sort of like a replacement for the Iga games.
-I haven't played it yet, but maybe South Park: Stick of Truth for Paper Mario?

Mario Kart plays nothing like F-Zero. 200cc is just Mario Kart sped up. There's no boosting, there's still items, the art style is entirely different, the difficult isn't there, the vehicles don't handle like F-Zero at all.

In Nintendo's eyes, it's essentially the same. How many Mario Kart games have released since rhe last F-Zero?

F-Zero is still like 3x faster than MK 200cc, and how the hell could MK 200cc even replace a series with completely different gameplay.

In Nintendo's eyes, it's essentially the same. How many Mario Kart games have released since rhe last F-Zero?

I don't think they see it as the same thing. I think they just don't make F-Zero games because they don't make much money. I'm pretty sure you're just screwing with people though anyway.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
-All of those random assorted indie games that take inspiration from Metroidvanias are sort of like a replacement for the Iga games.

I wanna agree with you, but while they have a familiar feel they really don't feel quite the same as a true Iga Castlevania. The kind of experience you get with something like SotN or AoS is really special.

Skate totally replaced the Tony Hawk series. Now the Skate franchise is dead and Tony Hawk is supposedly making a comeback this year. I hope they go back to basics with something that's similar to THPS3's gameplay.

What a terrible OP example. Good question, though.

I think the first Jak game was an adequate replacement for Crash Bandicoot, though they veered from the pure platforming in later games. On the other hand, Ratchet and Clank was never a replacement for Spyro - better games for the most part, but not a replacement due to very different world/level design and the shooting.

I generally agree about indie games filling the Igavania gap, but they do miss that special feeling the best of those games had.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Skate totally replaced the Tony Hawk series. Now the Skate franchise is dead and Tony Hawk is supposedly making a comeback this year. I hope they go back to basics with something that's similar to THPS3's gameplay.

Skate and Tony Hawk occupy totally different game spaces though. They're both "skating" games, but the actual game is completely different in execution.

Sevyne

s8OxGDh.gif

Not even close, unless you were playing F-Zero in slow-motion or something. F-Zero would play faster than that even if it was entirely underwater.

Anyway, gotta add to the Axiom Verge pile. Although I don't think it's an absolute Metroid replacement (series is just to dear to me), it is a fantastic substitute and even an amazing game on it's own.

Birdman15

Banned
I can only speak from the past because I'm drawing a blank at the moment, but Rock Band erased Guitar Hero for me.

I literally never have to touch that game or its garbage controllers again. Thank goodness.

Top Bottom