• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead series that have been adequately replaced

Synth

Tomb Raider with Uncharted? (before the reboot)

Uncharted -> Tomb Raider (reboot) would make more sense.. if Uncharted happened to be dead. Neither is anything like the original Tomb Raiders though. Those games are a better example of a series that hasn't been adequately replaced (alongside classic Resident Evil).

Like I mentioned in the other thread, Virtual On -> Gundam Vs.

This is a good one. More of a Virtual On Force/Marz replacement than something like VOOT... but this is an actual proper example of a series getting replaced.

You know, it's a shame as this really could be an interesting thread topic... but you've done a pretty bad job starting us off. Just because Nintendo doesn't make F-Zero anymore doesn't mean that it's been adequately replaced. You started off talking about how you personally wouldn't mind if there was no new F-Zero, and then how now switched to talking about "acknowledging reality", and Nintendo not giving a fuck. You may as well be talking about how Streets of Rage was adequately replaced by Chain Chronicles...

He asked who cared about what Nintendo thinks. I just told him. No one changed their tune.

And Nintendo has abandoned F-Zero. Miyamoto was quoted saying something along the lines of needing an opportunity to do something new with the series to justify bringing it back. It's time for people to accept that it's functionally a dead franchise at this point.

pants

And Nintendo has abandoned F-Zero. Miyamoto was quoted saying something along the lines of needing an opportunity to do something new with the series to justify bringing it back. It's time for people to accept that it's functionally a dead franchise at this point.

- 'adequately replaced' - an adequate alternative exists, the thread I thought you made.
- then there is whatever the fuck this is.

Synth

- 'adequately replaced' - an adequate alternative exists, the thread I thought you made.
- then there is whatever the fuck this is.

yea, basically.

So really, the thread was "games we don't care are gone... fuck your faves"?

In that case, next time someone asks about whether "what Nintendo thinks about F-Zero" matters, I won't respond to it.

Sorry for going off-topic, guys

...I'm sure we'll get Rising 2 soon enough.

Let me tell you what happened with Kojima Productions and all the projects they were producing...

I hope whatever deal they have with platinum games is far enough in development to be untouched by this Konami clusterfuck

Herne

solarsystem.GIF

Starflight-Amiga.png

ME0001180434_2.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

40875.jpg

EA's Starflight has been superceded by another EA game, Mass Effect. Where do you think the ideas for Mass Effect's system travel, planetary scanning, mining and exploring planetary bodies both in a vehicle and out come from? Look familiar?

me2sq_0321.jpg

Starflight was also all about meeting and interacting with alien races for the first time and establishing colonies throughout the galaxy for your people, and if the rumours about Mass Effect 4 are true, that's what we're going to be seeing in the next in the series.

Legit answer, i jumped on Skylines because of the GAF hype and the promise that it would be the SimCity i had been waiting for.

I am not disappointed.

You guys really feel this strongly about Cities: Skylines??

I haven't been interested in it because of Cities XL and SimCity but you guys are starting to pique my curiosity...

Justinh

I haven't been interested in it because of Cities XL and SimCity but you guys are starting to pique my curiosity...

Yeah same here, mostly.
I bought simcity when offline mode came and was on sale. I haven't known anything about Cities XL, but it looked "ehhh" to me.
Got my eye on Skylines now

Foffy

Banned
Well, King's Field seems pretty dead for From, now that they have the Souls series. It's really a third person successor to the same ideas and intent as the King's Field games.

Pudge

After seeing video of Mario Kart 8's upcoming 200cc mode, I realized I have no need for another F-Zero anymore. The speed and racing gameplay is reborn in MK, not to mention the inclusion of an F-Zero track and kart:

s8OxGDh.gif

If there was never another F-Zero, I wouldn't miss it. If I ever wanted to revisit the series, F-Zero GX still exists.

What other dead series have good replacements?

247.gif

The day Mario Kart replaces F-Zero is the day that I never play a Nintendo game again.

You've in great detailed just explained why Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star Online are really not much like each other at all.
Well of course they aren't the exact same game, and if somebody has their heart on the exact mechanics of Phantasy Star then obviously Monster Hunter wouldn't suffice.

However a lot of people, myself included, consider them to be the same type of game. 3rd person, online group hunting games that are very much alike in how they are structured and play. Between the original PSO, v2, EP1&2, 1&2 Plus, Blue Burst, Universe, and Portable 2 I've put several thousand of hours into the series and loved it.

Yet PSP2 Infinity never came, PSO2 never came, PSO Nova doesn't look like it's coming. As someone who lives in the US and doesn't like playing menu-heavy games I can't read, the series seems "dead" to me as the thread implies. Furthermore I felt Universe and Portable 2 were somewhat weak entries in the series.

Monster Hunter has replaced Phantasy Star for me and my friends. Sega would have to not only release a game in the west, but it would have to be amazing because MH now scratches that itch. I feel no desire to even play Phantasy Star anymore because it doesn't hold a candle (again, for me) to the heights MH has taken the formula.

Synth

Well of course they aren't the exact same game, and if somebody has their heart on the exact mechanics of Phantasy Star then obviously Monster Hunter wouldn't suffice.

However a lot of people, myself included, consider them to be the same type of game. 3rd person, online group hunting games that are very much alike in how they are structured and play. Between the original PSO, v2, EP1&2, 1&2 Plus, Blue Burst, Universe, and Portable 2 I've put several thousand of hours into the series and loved it.

Yet PSP2 Infinity never came, PSO2 never came, PSO Nova doesn't look like it's coming. As someone who lives in the US and doesn't like playing menu-heavy games I can't read, the series seems "dead" to me as the thread implies. Furthermore I felt Universe and Portable 2 were somewhat weak entries in the series.

Monster Hunter has replaced Phantasy Star for me and my friends. Sega would have to not only release a game in the west, but it would have to be amazing because MH now scratches that itch. I feel no desire to even play Phantasy Star anymore because it doesn't hold a candle (again, for me) to the heights MH has taken the formula.

I'm not trying to suggest that it would need to be the exact same sort of game. But the differences between these two are way too fundamental really. They the same sort of game when you're splitting all games into a handful of subgenres, much in the way that both Forza Horizon and Driveclub can be classed as Simcade racers... but beyond that pretty much every design decision is different between them.

Virtual On -> Gundam Vs is a good suggestion, because they're pretty much attempting to provide the same experience. People may have differing opinions on which of the two is better... but in the absence of one, the fanbase would pretty much entirely exist on the other (excluding those that may be playing it purely because it's Gundam). PSO to MonHun is less like this, and more like Soul Edge/Calibur to Bushido Blade or something.

EDIT: Hell, looking at the beginning of that thread, it's even being mentioned in there how PSO doesn't really fit into the same niche as MonHun. That thread is super-broad in terms of what game's its classifying as similar. I can imagine an alternate version containing both Bayonetta and Ryse.

KORNdoggy

nah. thief is a different pace.

how has a game set exclusively in point to point natural environment races replaced a game set almost exclusively in city circuit tracks? makes no damn sense.

"exclusively"? er...no. there are lap based tracks in driveclub you know...a lot of them in fact (have you played the game?). yes they're all natural environments. but i don't really think the way a track looks has much to do with a game replacing another. more how a game feels. and driveclub feels like a natural successor to PGR.

same goes for dishonored. it's style and visuals are nothing like thief. but it's most definitely channeling a ton of thief. and considering dishonored can be played in a multitude of ways (i ghosted the entire game and barely even used any abilities), pacing is hardly a valid reason for it not to be a suitible replacement. hell, dishonored was more thief then thief (2014) was.

Wipeout is also nothing like F-Zero though tbh (and arguments between the two fanbases make this pretty clear). Other than speed, I'm not even sure that I'd consider Wipeout much closer to F-Zero than to Mario Kart actually... at least Mario Kart and wipeout have the randomised weapon pick-ups in common.

Well, levitating cars, floating (not just jumping) off the road for shortcuts, and limited health are traits common to Wipeout and F-Zero that Mario Kart doesn't have (or didn't use to have, they kind of added the second in 8).

I said they're the closest games to each other, not that they're particularly close. The problem is that the general space they occupy is mostly untapped, which makes even more baffling why nobody makes more similar games and even those two are half abandoned. Perhaps people simply don't like futuristic racers? :/

Top Bottom