• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead series that have been adequately replaced

Assassin's Creed Black Flag sufficiently filled that Sid Meier's Pirates! hole in my life, though I definitely wouldn't say no to a new one of those.

Most of my favorite dead series never got a sufficient replacement, sadly. Where's my Battle for Middle Earth III? Where's my Ultimate Alliance game that's not just real Diablo? Where's my Age of Empires IV that's not some shitty free to play shadow? Where's my proper new Puzzle Quest game that's deeper than a puddle (dammit Marvel)?

Nice concept for a thread but that might be the most off the mark example you could have picked. Have you played f zero GX OP? It's hard to think of two more disparate racing experiences.they may have been closer when they were SNES games but they've evolved completely differently.

border

It's pretty rare that someone manages to derail their own thread before a single reply has been posted, but somehow you've managed it!

impact

Banned
s8OxGDh.gif

This slow ass game is a replacement for F-Zero? OP is tag fishing

3d castlevania To Bloodborne. It nails the gothic styling, weapons, enemy designs, etc. a few tweaks to its formula would bake an excellent model for what castlevania should be.

Neff

Assuming DMC never comes back, then Bayonetta is an obvious one.

But it's probably coming back.

People still upset about Shenmue need to get over it and play Yakuza and get upset about that instead.
This. Every Yakuza game I play I think, "Why are people still complaining about Shenmue? This is fucking Shenmue."
truth.

the best sequel to Jagged Alliance ended up being Valkryia Chronicles. And of course Sleeping Dogs somehow ended up as a great follow up to the True Crime series, who would have seen that coming?

Dremark

Banned
I don't even think I can address what the OP "example" is saying without getting myself permabanned.

Anyway overall I don't think there are too many except in cases where the creator leaves and makes a similar game, a game inspired by a long dead series or basically a series change for legal reasons like Demons' Souls to Dark Souls.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
After seeing video of Mario Kart 8's upcoming 200cc mode, I realized I have no need for another F-Zero anymore. The speed and racing gameplay is reborn in MK, not to mention the inclusion of an F-Zero track and kart:
s8OxGDh.gif

If there was never another F-Zero, I wouldn't miss it. If I ever wanted to revisit the series, F-Zero GX still exists.
What other dead series have good replacements?

If 200cc mode adequately replaced the F-Zero series then you never liked the F-Zero series and frikken Sonic All Star Racing was already an adequate replacement in your eyes.

Simcity with City: Skylines, I guess?

Legit answer, i jumped on Skylines because of the GAF hype and the promise that it would be the SimCity i had been waiting for.

I am not disappointed.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Maybe if Mario Kart 8 had electronic music, techno-futuristic visuals, and hairpin turns...

MK8 200cc gives me almost nothing I like about F-zero. "Speed" is barely a fraction of what I like about it.

Dereck

Skate totally replaced the Tony Hawk series. Now the Skate franchise is dead and Tony Hawk is supposedly making a comeback this year. I hope they go back to basics with something that's similar to THPS3's gameplay.
I see people compare the two games all of the time but this comparison is more like comparing NBA Jam to NBA 2K.

Ampsicora

Even if MK8 has 200cc and it's more fast than usual is, anyway, more slow than Sonic Transformed in S class. Thinking it is a good replace for F-zero which it was a lot more fast than Sanic Kart 2 and Mario kart 8 combined is a little bit naive. I think is more an excuse for justifying what Nintendo has done with the series

qko

The only example I can think of (because a lot examples mentioned have been horrible) is Assasin's Creed replacing Prince of Persia. Ass Creed is the only game close to letting me run from rooftop to rooftop. It still does not feel the same though.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Wow, one of the worst suggestions ever in the OP. Mario Kart can never replace the awesomness that is F-ZERO!

Hellraider

Totally agree with OP. 200cc is the best F-Zero game we have gotten this decade!

I'm also really happy with Sony's Wipeout replacement that is Driveclub.

CTLance

Sim City -> Cities: Skylines.
Legit replacement, and a stain on the legacy of Maxis and EA that they allowed themselves to be outdone in all regards on such a fundamental level by a tiny handful of spirited devs on a shoestring budget.

Also, Op, I shall now gleefully join the crowd of people deriding you for your example. I... I'm not seeing it, to put it mildly.

After seeing video of Mario Kart 8's upcoming 200cc mode, I realized I have no need for another F-Zero anymore. The speed and racing gameplay is reborn in MK, not to mention the inclusion of an F-Zero track and kart:

s8OxGDh.gif

If there was never another F-Zero, I wouldn't miss it. If I ever wanted to revisit the series, F-Zero GX still exists.

What other dead series have good replacements?

I don't agree with this, that's like adding a faster car to driveclub and calling it wipeout

Synth

People still upset about Shenmue need to get over it and play Yakuza and get upset about that instead.

This thread is fucking horrible... holy shit.

I'd nominate MotorStorm as having sufficiently replaced 4 Wheel Thunder... but Motorsorm is probably just as dead at this point.

So you know that modern game that doesn't really play like this beloved dead series, but has some basic fundamental similarities to it?

That's totally a perfect replacement for that dead series.

Holy Christ, I am getting a lot more upset at some of the posts in this thread than I should be.

Terrible OP.

First thing that comes to mind is Need for Speed, but I can't pinpoint one particular game that's replaced... it's more just faded out as many others took over.

KORNdoggy

i feel like thief had been adequately replaced by dishonored.

driveclub replaced PGR for me too

would love to say something had adequately replaced SSX or timesplitters :(

Top Bottom