• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Legacy: A problem. An Idea. A vision. A hope. A fools errand?

**Update** Here is the Uservoice link for my idea. https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/2...ake-2-halo-games-like-what-ms-does-with-forza.

A little warning, this is not your average post, it is going to be a longer read than normal and I will not cheapen my time and effort with a TLDR. If you do not read it please refrain from participating in this thread.

Now, before I dive in let me tell you a little about myself and Halo.
This may get a little corny so be sure to have your butter ready.
Halo is in my blood. I grew up with it. Halo CE played a huge motivating factor in my brother and I completing our studies while we were in school as kids even If it was just so that we could play more Halo. Halo served as an much needed escape from a crappy life of split parents, poverty, broken hearts and abuse. Summer break Halo LAN parties (like actual parties with girls and stuff ;p) where a weekly occurrence and kept me out of a lot of trouble that I know I would have gotten myself into otherwise (because I still managed to do so). Heck, my bachelor party was a short trip to the beach and then a long Halo LAN party after.

My honey moon was cut a bit short due to a booking error a day before the midnight release of Halo 4 so my wife actually gladly suggested we go to it because she had reserved a copy for me. We arrived late because we stopped and bought a couple boxes of bottled water to hand out to those standing in line. I was at the back of the line of at least a hundred people but everyone was so grateful, including the store, that they gave me the first copy and ended up giving me one of the Halo props that weren't included in the raffle. Everyone cheered. < A good feeling that.

Halo has been such a huge part of my life that, as I look back, I can't help but think I wouldn't be the same person that I am today without it. Halo is a part of me, a part of my Legacy. I am sure I am not the only one. What is your #HaloLegacy&#8482;?
:p

Whew! Now that we have dispensed with the formalities, lets get on with it!

First off, let me just say that I am not the video game fixing messiah. I am not perfect and I know this won't please everyone. I know that I could be way off the mark but I hope that I'm at least at a place where you can see it. Regardless, I would like your input.

Also, If any developers at 343i happen to read this, as an artist I know full well what it means to take something and make it yours. This post isn't meant to step on your toes or even admonish you for mistakes of the past, rather it's meant as a test for a pulse for what is hopefully a good idea even if it needs work. It would seem that lately you and MS as a whole have been listening to the consumers more and more so if this passes the test as it where, it could at least be food for though.

The Problem,

As I see it the problem, or problems rather, are several fold. Several million fold that is. This is because, no matter how many times I ask people from random strangers to Gaffers and friends the answer can almost always be boiled down to "a departure from the formula" and it would seem that the fans don't want this. Now I say "seem" because I then proceed to ask them what they are playing now... "Titanfall" He says. "COD" she says. "Battlefeild" They say. Without flipping fail. And so naturally I reply, "But I thought you said you didn't like those things?" To which they reply, "Well, um, err, Halo should stay the same!" Wellthereitis.gif

It would seem that the fans don't want Halo to change and yet, in stead of playing the Halo that they like, they are playing games that implement the same things that they berate Halo for trying. The statistics
(If that is your thing, it personally isn't mine)
seem to show this as well.

Don't worry, I'm not going to try to sit here and try to dissect why this is and insult anyone by telling them how they feel on the interweb. Person to person that would be a different story.

However, what I will do is sympathize. Yup. Even though I fall into the boat that is ok with Halos' Combat Evolving
(Hehe)
along with its universe, I also used to be a pretty good Halo player. I understand what halo was. A simple yet complex fair and balanced game of skill and I loved it. Still do.

Yet, I must confess, I did something unspeakable. I fell into the COD trap. For the first two years I had a blast! Why, you might ask? Simple, It was something new. It was fresh. However COD too soon fell to the exact sameness syndrome that Halo had for me.

I then bounced between almost every shooter out there until one day I realized that none of them, not a single flipping one was ever going to give me what I had with Halo. Yet at the same time to this day I shamefully put more hours into shooters that aren't what made me who I am today. This is in large part due to how toxic the community has become and a want for new shiny things and at the same time the same old gameplay that I have loved my whole life. Which leads me to...

The Idea,

Halo Legacy Series&#8482;!

H5-MP-Beta-Concept-Art-Crossfire-Foul-jpg.jpg

What I propose is something akin to what MS does with the Forza series. One after the other MS produces A Forza numbered series which is a sim racer and then Horizon which is more arcade. Both of these games play very differently yet appease different crowds while at the same time strengthening the Forza community because they know their preferences are going to be met so there is much less room for stink to be made. Heck I would even go so far as to say that most Horizon fans probably also buy the numbered series and vice versa if for nothing but a nice change of pace.

So, for Halo, keep 343i on the main series and give them the freedom to evolve in both single and multiplayer. Now create a new studio specifically tailored to make a Classic style Halo for the Legacy&#8482; Halo fans but do it in the style of sports. (See concept art above and below) Yep, I said sports
(Was on a team that placed third in nationals in basketball and I still can't stand most real sports)
. Simillar to Fifa, Madden and so on with all the sporty bells and whistles. Think teams, leagues, armor decals as seen in the concept art and so on.

Sounds like it would be simple, however there is plenty of room to be really creative without messing with gameplay. Get the gameplay to where Legacy&#8482; players are satisfied and then polish. I mean polish like never before. With the gameplay mechanics staying the same and not having to constantly write code for it you could make an amazing graphical showcase. I mean really get down to the details like lighting, netcode, reflections, armor/environmental wear and tear, armor/environmental damage, helmet visors shattering like in the concept art.

Halo Legacy series&#8482; would leave the campaign stuff to the main Halo games and so would cost less which is a bonus. Delivery method could be implemented in several ways but I will just touch on my personal preference which I will dub "KIF" style or Killer Instinct Fanservice style."

With the "KIF" style of delivery we would be getting new MP maps, armor types and so on, on a steady basis. I don't want to give a length of time because I have no clue how long it would take to make one, with KI we get a character about every month because they always have several characters in different stages of development so that they can hit that monthly deadline. I'm just guessing this could also be an option for Legacy&#8482; MP maps.

However, the real strength of the "KIF" style of delivery IMO is the speed at which the developers can react to the needs of the playerbase. Is a new map unbalanced in some way? It's probably more likely to be fixed in a respectable amount of time with "KIF."

The vision,

H5-MP-Beta-Concept-Art-Crossfire-Rush-jpg.jpg

Now, "why sports" you might ask? Well because A. It would be huge for and work perfectly with Esports. Just think about it, it can be argued that Halo is what it is today because of it's faithful followers in the MP crowd many of whom are Esports fans and B. There is one other huge problem that I didn't mention previously. A logical disconnect between MP and what a Spartan should be able to do. Also, what the first episode of RED vs BLUE said, "What are we doing in this valley?"

I understand that now the excuse is "War Games" but still even then, or especially then, you would want to be less handicapped than what is in classic Halo MP. Anyhow, I will proceed to most likely botch an attempt at drawing a correlation between real life and a video game and how to hopefully make things a little more logical while at the same time keep everyone happy.

Halo, Titanfall, Battlefield, COD. All of these games have two things in common. War is one of them. Earlier I explained what Halo was "A simple yet complex fair and balanced game of skill." Now, war is some of those things but fair and balanced it is most definitely not. Do you know what IS fair and balanced or at least tries to be? Yep, sports.

In a sports like setting there is much, much less room for logical disconnect in a game that is as handicapped as classic Halo and things would actually start to make sense because sports have rules and all of the handicaps could just be explained away by, "Well, those are the rules." Halo Legacy Series&#8482; would also fit perfectly well inside the Halo world itself.

That other thing that these games have in common is even more logical disconnect in the form of nonsense. The worst being In COD, Battlefield and Titanfall when I am out of my mech, I am playing as a human bullet sponge that doesn't slow a beat when shot in the leg or anywhere for that matter, can still sprint forever, walk on walls and so on.

On the flip side you have Halo where you are supposed to be this extremely BA genetically enhanced and mechanically augmented supersoldier that should be able to do all sorts of amazing things including the ability to sprint at high speeds. It's weird because in Halo logically we should get all of the things we see in those other games and then some but instead we get a slow lumbering hunk of metal that is strong enough to lift a flipping warthog with one hand yet people lose their bowels when they get a hint of a Spartan crashing through walls and into banshees in a video when by all rights he should be able to.

The Hope.

The good thing is that I think Halo has a stronger chance to just make sense than all those other shooters, but not as it is now. At this moment you have the very vocal die hard fans. Then you have one much larger crowd in my opinion who likes the CODs and Battlefields, they just aren't as vocal because well, they are busy playing CODs and Battlefields.

Both of these groups of fans are vying for the only thing they can and that is the only Halo that is being made ATM. Now, MS wants to please both of these groups but guess which group they want to please more? The less vocal but larger group that they know for a fact is there because they can see the player counts for those games and they want the money. Still the die hards cannot just be abandoned because they are what keeps the train going if mistakes are made, *cough* MCC *cough.* Sadly in the end these groups end up hating each other and creating a toxic community and a confused game. A games community is like soil to a plant. A plant will thrive or wither according to it's soil and so will a game with it's community.

This is where the two separate Halo games come in and save the day! :D Give the classic die hard fans what they want with a very high budget Halo Legacy Series&#8482; tailored specially for them and also appease both MS and the larger crowd that want a change by letting the main Halos' Combat Evolve into the greatness that it's been struggling for like Mothra from it's cocoon instead of it being prodded back in by the Biollante that the community has become.

As a bonus, I think that a healthy portion of each of these groups would buy both of the games. Both would want something shiny and new. Legacy&#8482; players in particular would at least want to continue the fight in the new campaigns. If happy enough many main series players would also buy Halo Legacy Series&#8482; just to support a game franchise they love. Everyone wins! People stop arguing with eachother because everyone for the most part is appeased. The soil is fertile! Balance is restored! There is peace in the universe!...

The Fools Errand?

So, what do you think Gaf? Have I fallen under a spell? Did I just waste an entire day pouring out my heart and soul for nothing? Am I delusional? Is the community to toxic to unify behind an idea to stop the tug of war that is tearing Halo apart? Or could this actually work? What would you change? Most importantly, what would it take for you to rally behind an idea like this?

I think Halo needs this or something like it. Trying to appease both sides just isn't working. At least this way both sides get something they want instead of the inevitable rift that is coming when one side wins over the other, and it will.

I think that the ground work is already there for all of this. Both the MCC MP and some of the game modes that were shown in the Halo 5 beta is a start for a Legacy&#8482; like system. All that's left now is for the community to get behind it.

Lastly, If you didn't like any of the ideas here and think that I'm crazy, I'm not going to tell you what to do, but please remember that I am human. If I offended anyone, I apologize, I assure you it was not my intent. I also put a lot of heart and soul into this post.
And a seriously embarrassing amount of time.

Whoa.

I definitely think 343i want's to get Halo back into the eSports conversation (which they have already). The Arena combat we saw already seems to be leaning in the direction you talked about.

As for having two separate releases? I don't know, with DLC+Connected consoles they can update the game remotely without needing a separate release.

COD gets a yearly release with MP + SP because they have a bunch of different teams working on the 3-year cycle. If they were to just release a new Halo MP game every year with no SP game I'd certainly not be interested.

I love Halo as well, but more from a lore perspective, I play the multiplayer but only in small doses as I'm not particularly good unless I devote tons of time (which I no longer have).

A KI style model could be interesting? But I could see that just turning into a DLC fest $$$$$$$ which everyone would complain about as well.

I think we'll see when Halo 5 comes out and what they do with the MP options. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Whoa.

I definitely think 343i want's to get Halo back into the eSports conversation (which they have already). The Arena combat we saw already seems to be leaning in the direction you talked about.

As for having two separate releases? I don't know, with DLC+Connected consoles they can update the game remotely without needing a separate release.

COD gets a yearly release with MP + SP because they have a bunch of different teams working on the 3-year cycle. If they were to just release a new Halo MP game every year with no SP game I'd certainly not be interested.

I love Halo as well, but more from a lore perspective, I play the multiplayer but only in small doses as I'm not particularly good unless I devote tons of time (which I no longer have).

A KI style model could be interesting? But I could see that just turning into a DLC fest $$$$$$$ which everyone would complain about as well.

I think we'll see when Halo 5 comes out and what they do with the MP options. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.

But what if the Legacy series was cheaper? The point here is to try to appease both sides. Forza tried it with Horizon and it worked brilliantly. MS certainly has the resources to pull something like this off especially since this is their flagship game. Also, What side do you think you fall on? More of a Legacy player or a progressive one?

mcrommert

Banned
Very interesting write up. I don't see how there needs to be a classic halo mode..mcc exists. It has high res, high frame rate versions of the original games...all is good

Halo should keep what makes it halo while introducing changes into the core gameplay. I think halo 5 is an excellent move forward from what i played on the beta.

Very interesting write up. I don't see how there needs to be a classic halo mode..mcc exists. It has high res, high frame rate versions of the original games...all is good

Halo should keep what makes it halo while introducing changes into the core gameplay. I think halo 5 is an excellent move forward from what i played on the beta.

Yes, but MCC as I understand it doesn't address most of the disconnects that I talked about nor is it something that will keep Legacy players interest for years to come because they will inevitably want new and shiny things. The MCC is amazing, don't get me wrong, and I think that the MCC is a perfect building block for a Legacy series system. Where it can be upgraded and such with shiny new graphics that would keep players hooked.

mcrommert

Banned
Yes, but MCC as I understand it doesn't address most of the disconnects that I talked about nor is it something that will keep Legacy players interest for years to come because they will inevitably want new and shiny things. The MCC is amazing, don't get me wrong, and I think that the MCC is a perfect building block for a Legacy series system. Where it can be upgraded and such with shiny new graphics that would keep players hooked.

Yeah...they could keep adding levels to halo 2 anniversary like they are with relic

Don't think that would be sustainable and that would split the user base

Chucker

On one hand, I'd say create a separate product, standalone at like $30. It'd be a fully featured multiplayer title with all of the bells and whistles, modes, mutations, seasons etc.

On the other hand, MCC does exist, and you'll want to push the main brand forward as well. Perhaps make the "Legacy Series" be a DLC pack accessible through whichever mainline Halo is currently out. Then you sort of punish the esports people who just want the legacy league. It's an interesting idea, I'm sure somebody will have a better solution than mine.

But what if the Legacy series was cheaper? The point here is to try to appease both sides. Forza tried it with Horizon and it worked brilliantly. MS certainly has the resources to pull something like this off especially since this is their flagship game. Also, What side do you think you fall on? More of a Legacy player or a progressive one?

Incrementally Progressive? I guess? Haha. I think things do get too static if you don't change it up, however turning Halo into an entirely different type of game (Think, Tribes or something) has the serious potential of turning off a ton of people.

That being said, I like BTB and would really like to see a Battlefield-esque Halo game, big, huge warfare.. maybe only a couple of Spartans allowed, UNSC marines.. ODSTs.. I don't pretend to know how it'd work, but that's more my style. I like quasi-mil-sim games, more than arena-style shooters I guess.

The comparison with Horizon vs Forza proper.. they're both 'finished' games I suppose, both have fun multiplayer but also tons of stuff to do on your own. Would you add in a Firefight mode vs Bots or something for people who maybe don't want to play online? Or would it be made only for online players?

I mean I could see a Halo: Arena style game being popular, I just don't know if it's needed with the changes potentially being made to Halo 5. You also have to think of the engine limitations regarding Spartan abilities.. just because maybe they CAN do something doesn't mean it works in a game.

Yeah...they could keep adding levels to halo 2 anniversary like they are with relic

Don't think that would be sustainable and that would split the user base

Read the section under "The hope" about community and now think about the potential user base. I think people are kind of missing the fact that the current user base isn't what would be split if something like this where to happen. Because the entire playerbase over both of the games would grow exponentially when people are getting what they want.

It sounds like you want a separate Halo multiplayer that goes the way of Fifa or Madden with annual releases that fine tune but don't really innovate much. Which is honestly a pretty cool idea competition wise.

But I'd personally prefer 343 to strike a balance with adding new gameplay elements that spice things up as well as keeping things fair and competitive.

Ranks are a must, either way. Playing the MCC without them makes me realize how integral they were originally. Half the reason I kept playing 2 and 3 was because I could play online and get matched competitively with randoms. Fewer quits, fairer teams, incentive to get better. Not including them in 4's launch was one of the biggest mistakes 343 made, and there were a lot of mistakes.

Would you add in a Firefight mode vs Bots or something for people who maybe don't want to play online? Or would it be made only for online players?
I honestly don't know. A game with no singe player could be dirt cheap and players could get their campaign fix with the main series halo.

I mean I could see a Halo: Arena style game being popular, I just don't know if it's needed with the changes potentially being made to Halo 5. You also have to think of the engine limitations regarding Spartan abilities.. just because maybe they CAN do something doesn't mean it works in a game.

I absolutely agree. The idea here is to let 343i have a creative license to explore new things and see what sticks without turning people off so bad ala halo 4. Players would be able to fall back on a Legacy game until the progressive stuff that did or didn't work in the main series was sorted out.

Frankly I just don't think the #'s are there, everyone jumps from one game to another these days, there is always something new and shiny coming out.

Even if you created a model that gave everyone what they wanted, I would think they would still be tempted to go try the hot new thing.

Though, I (admittedly) don't have my finger on the pulse of the Halo community, much less the eSports competitive one.

I think offering a number of different and well-supported modes in Halo 5 would go a long way. Yes, you'd still have the $59.95 barrier to entry, but if it was really good that shouldn't be a problem.

There is nothing stopping them from adding/changing/updating things as time goes on, all the way up to the eventually release of Halo 6: The Search for More Money.

Think of it like a rally expansion for Forza Horizon 1. It was popular they incorporated it directly into FH2 (somewhat). If the new modes show life, I could see them either being incorporated or perhaps spinning off into their own thing.

I absolutely agree. The idea here is to let 343i have a creative license to explore new things and see what sticks without turning people off so bad ala halo 4. Players would be able to fall back on a Legacy game until the progressive stuff that did or didn't work in the main series was sorted out.

The problem is if something does go sour.. all those people who are disappointed will likely move on to other series instead of going back to the Legacy game (which they didn't want since they bought the other one).

The problem is if something does go sour.. all those people who are disappointed will likely move on to other series instead of going back to the Legacy game (which they didn't want since they bought the other one).

If the main series is given a creative license to evolve and draw in the players from the COD and Battlefield crowds I don't think very much is going to disappoint them for the most part. It's the very outspoken legacy players that are trying out the shiny new things that have something to fall back on in case they don't like it and that's a good thing because they are falling back on halo.

But I'd personally prefer 343 to strike a balance with adding new gameplay elements that spice things up as well as keeping things fair and competitive.

This is what both sides of the community are trying to do like a massive tug of war one side wants new progressive things and the other wants more fair and balanced. I personally don't think this method serves even a fraction of the amount of players as it could if something like a Legacy system where implemented where both sides get everything that they want.

EDIT: Crap, Didn't mean to double post. :/

golem

I kind of feel that this is somewhat their aim with introducing Locke as a co-lead in H5. Perhaps he will get his own spinoff series with more trendy playstyles.

I kind of feel that this is somewhat their aim with introducing Locke as a co-lead in H5. Perhaps he will get his own spinoff series with more trendy playstyles.

Yeah, I get the feeling that something like my idea was kicked around 343is' offices. I mean they made that concept art and all. I think they just need to see that the community is willing to stop getting their fix attacking each other long enough to realize that everyone, for the most part, can get what they want.

Yeah, I get the feeling that something like my idea was kicked around 343is' offices. I mean they made that concept art and all. I think they just need to see that the community is willing to stop getting their fix attacking each other long enough to realize that everyone, for the most part, can get what they want.

We'll just get yearly Spartan Strike-style games for touch devices instead ;)

OP

I loved your ideas and I like your approach.

The only issue i would see happening is why people would buy 343i halo when they have all the multiplayer goodness in legacy? Sure the single player would be nice, but many of the people who just play bf or cod see it as another shooter now. :(

I think that would require long brainstorming business session of how to get the same people to buy two halo products that offer almost the same experience.

If 343i halo only had single player with a horde mode attached maybe people who only love mp would buy it, maybe. I'd assume they would want continuity on both so people would want to play MP on both halo games isntead of just single on 343i hallo then drop off and stay on halo legacy. This is a tough one and thinking about how forza's model is, i don't think it can apply to halo :(. if only halo was some type of rpg...

oh wait.. Halo Online transformed into something similar to your suggestion perhaps?! without the time restraints and really lame microtransitions? :O

OP

I loved your ideas and I like your approach.

The only issue i would see happening is why people would buy 343i halo when they have all the multiplayer goodness in legacy? Sure the single player would be nice, but many of the people who just play bf or cod see it as another shooter now. :(

I think that would require long brainstorming business session of how to get the same people to buy two halo products that offer almost the same experience.

If 343i halo only had single player with a horde mode attached maybe people who only love mp would buy it, maybe. I'd assume they would want continuity on both so people would want to play MP on both halo games isntead of just single on 343i hallo then drop off and stay on halo legacy. This is a tough one and thinking about how forza's model is, i don't think it can apply to halo :(. if only halo was some type of rpg...

oh wait.. Halo Online transformed into something similar to your suggestion perhaps?! without the time restraints and really lame microtransitions? :O

Here is the thing. As it stands now, the progressive things that have been introduced to halo are not as good as the progressive things that the other shooters are doing. Because the community as a whole are in a tug of war. See about three of my posts up^. So, progressive style players aren't sticking around for very long. Conversely, Legacy style players are also turned off by the progressive implementations and also aren't sticking around very long.

There is a massive potential playerbase for both sides one that could be appeased with something like a legacy style system while also getting their shiny new thing and campaign fix with the main series while being ok with it taking chances. Progressive style players would be happy with Halo's' combat evolving and would potentially even try their hand in the Legacy Halo series if they are happy enough and the price is right. The progressive crowd is much larger but the Legacy crowd are the hard core backbone of Halo and keep it going through thick and thin and IMO deserve something special. It gives them something to fall back on and they won't leave halo as willingly.

EDIT: I keep double posting because it takes me for ever to write a reply and I think the thread is moving. :(

Here is the thing. As it stands now, the progressive things that have been introduced to halo are not as good as the progressive things that the other shooters are doing. Because the community as a whole are in a tug of war. See about three of my posts up^. So, progressive style players aren't sticking around for very long. Conversely, Legacy style players are also turned off by the progressive implementations and also aren't sticking around very long.

There is a massive potential playerbase for both sides one that could be appeased with something like a legacy style system while also getting their shiny new thing and campaign fix with the main series while being ok with it taking chances. Progressive style players would be happy with Halo's' combat evolving and would potentially even try their hand in the Legacy Halo series if they are happy enough and the price is right. The progressive crowd is much larger but the Legacy crowd are the hard core backbone of Halo and keep it going through thick and thin and IMO deserve something special. It gives them something to fall back on and they won't leave halo as willingly.

EDIT: I keep double posting because it takes me for ever to write a reply and I think the thread is moving. :(

Ah i see now, makes sense now i've seen that explanation. I'd buy both for sure! I can also say that halo changed my life for the better too... stayed away from bad things because i was too busy staying in playing halo CE on legendary over and over again. lol

Ah i see now, makes sense now i've seen that explanation. I'd buy both for sure! I can also say that halo changed my life for the better too... stayed away from bad things because i was too busy staying in playing halo CE on legendary over and over again. lol

Yeah, I literally shed tears when the MCC came out and my brother and I got together (I rarely get to spend any time with him these days) and do our Halo CE speed run. It was one of the most memorable moments since my son was born. From a video game no less lol.

Synth

It's a nice idea OP, I like it. If they were to do this though, I think they should just fork H2A's multiplayer from MCC, and expand upon that. I definitely feel as though the fanbases general lack of tolerance for any changes to the system is harming Halo in the long term.

I don't think you'd need to have the same people buy both (although there would likely be plenty that would). If Halo were to remain the way it was in Halo 2, the series would almost certainly follow a Virtua Fighter-esque path to irrelevance. It'd be mostly satisfying its core fanbase, but never growing it, and as people in that fanbase move on, there ceases to be enough players left to sustain it. Virtua Fighter however did essentially have a CoDified version of itself... Dead or Alive. That game was free to add in and experiment with all the sorts of things that Virtua Fighter couldn't, and this has helped it survive in a world of Street Fighter's and Tekken Tag's. Having aspects of both games shared (Virtua Fighter characters in DoA5 for example) would possibly help attract some of that expanded audience to try out Virtua Fighter when (if) a new iteration ever happened, as they've now been given a gateway into showing interest in the IP... something Virtua Fighter on its own would likely be unable to do at this point without enraging it's core fanbase.

It's a nice idea OP, I like it. If they were to do this though, I think they should just fork H2A's multiplayer from MCC, and expand upon that. I definitely feel as though the fanbases general lack of tolerance for any changes to the system is harming Halo in the long term.

Yeah, like I said, I think a lot of the groundwork for something like this is already there. Also my idea was just something that I thought fit. However it would be implemented is up to MS but I still think something resembling a Legacy system is needed.

I don't think you'd need to have the same people buy both (although there would likely be plenty that would). If Halo were to remain the way it was in Halo 2, the series would almost certainly follow a Virtua Fighter-esque path to irrelevance. It'd be mostly satisfying its core fanbase, but never growing it, and as people in that fanbase move on, there ceases to be enough players left to sustain it. Virtua Fighter however did essentially have a CoDified version of itself... Dead or Alive. That game was free to add in and experiment with all the sorts of things that Virtua Fighter couldn't, as this has helped it survive in a world of Street Fighter's and Tekken Tag's. Having aspects of both games shared (Virtua Fighter characters in DoA5 for example) would possibly help attract some of that expanded audience to try out Virtua Fighter when (if) a new iteration ever happened, as they've now been given a gateway into showing interest in the IP... something Virtua Fighter on its own would likely be unable to do at this point without enraging it's core fanbase.

An excellent example of what I was trying to get at. Thank you.

REDSLATE

The problem with trying to appeal to everyone is that you alienate your fanbase. 343 saw that a large portion of gamers enjoyed Call of Duty, and decided to make Halo more attractive to them. In doing so, they changed core concepts which defined Halo. This was in turn unappealing to those who simply enjoyed Halo. The bulk of Call of Duty players were largely indifferent to Halo's recent changes as they were perfectly satisfied playing Call of Duty.

Top Bottom