• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Adam Sandler movie has jokes so bad, the extras quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Adam Sandler is currently in New Mexico filming The Ridiculous Six, his first original movie for Netflix. Details about the film are scant. We know that it is apparently a parody of the classic Western The Magnificent Seven; we also know that a portion of the film features portrayals of American Indians so offensive that a dozen Native actors, including the film’s “cultural advisor,” straight-up walked off the set yesterday.

Per Indian Country Today Media Network, here are some of the retrograde jokes that prompted the American Indian extras—most of whom are members of the Navajo Nation—to ditch the movie:

"The examples of disrespect included Native women’s names such as Beaver’s Breath and No Bra, an actress portraying an Apache woman squatting and urinating while smoking a peace pipe, and feathers inappropriately positioned on a teepee."

Two extras interviewed by ICTMN’s Vincent Schilling said they were initially uneasy about participating in the film, but were assured by Sandler’s producers that the portrayals would not be racist. That promise was quickly revealed as a lie.

David Hill, a 74-year-old man of Choctaw descent, compared the film’s producers to Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder:

“They were being disrespectful,” he said. “They were bringing up those same old arguments that Dan Snyder uses in defending the Redskins.”

http://defamer.gawker.com/the-jokes-in-adam-sandlers-new-film-are-so-funny-the-ex-1699769144

Put my career on a steep decline if old.

Loxley

"The examples of disrespect included Native women’s names such as Beaver’s Breath and No Bra, an actress portraying an Apache woman squatting and urinating while smoking a peace pipe, and feathers inappropriately positioned on a teepee."

Oh give me a fucking break Sandler ><

braves01

Banned
Did anyone actually see The Cobbler? That one really looked like hot garbage. I think Sandler has straight up admitted he treats movies like vacations nowadays, too, so in his eyes this is just an extended vacay in Mexico.

Mistake number one: inviting a "cultural advisor" to the set of a comedy movie

If you're going to bring authentic Native americans onto the set, probably best not to just straight shit on their culture.

Even shit like Ace Ventura 2 is pretty respectful of the cultures it lampoons.

Dryk

If you're going to bring authentic Native americans onto the set, probably best not to just straight shit on their culture.
Yeah it's strange that they thought they could heap on the racism like that and the Native American extras would just be okay with it.

Mechazawa

Great to see Netflix putting money in front of these shitheel supremes. Really makes ya feel good about that subscription.

Buzzman

Banned
Wow, is that a big issue with his movies? I just watched the Half in the Bag review for Jack and Jill again, and they specifically call it out for being racist.

Haven't seen any of the movies myself so I wouldn't know.

It's almost like he forgot how to be funny.

Paul Blart is evidence audiences don't care. They like Sandler & co.'s juvenile brand of humor that hasn't changed since before he started releasing CDs. Meanwhile he pockets the production budget while letting product placement pay for his vacations to africa, mexico, etc.

Come on guys, Adam Sandler knows exactly what he's doing. He keeps making movies for the idiots that keep lining up for them. I really want to see the region breakdown for his box office numbers so I know what places to never visit.

Nothing stops the Sandler money train. It's obvious at this point that his movies will continue to make more and more money, despite being increasingly worse.

A parody of a 55-year-old movie... Sandler is really capturing the zeitgeist with this one.

i dunno, he's kind of ahead of the curve with this one seeing as how suicide squad is looking to channel the film's vibe and we're getting a remake too.

was gonna drunk-watch this for some of the cast but after hearing about how racist it all is..fuck that.

didn't three amigos already do a magnificent seven parody?

Merc_

Who the hell is watching these movies now? I thought everyone had finally figured out that Adam Sandler isn't even a shadow of what he once was.

CLEEK

I'm not defending the use of tired old racial stereotype jokes, but complaining about "feathers inappropriately positioned on a teepee" is hilarious. I can't even imagine how this could be made to be offensive.

The problem is that Sandler routinely uses marginalized groups for shitty comedy. Compare something like this to something like Blazing Saddles. Blazing Saddles does satire related to race relations, but isn't disrespectful. It tries really hard to make the racism in the movie the product of ignorant white characters. Shit like this? The Native Americans are the punchlines and the jokes. It's not told from the perspective of white people - ie this is how white people see or treat Native Americans - it's told as "haha, they're Native Americans."

Adam Sandler is one of my least favourite celebrities. Dang.

But did Sandler wrote the script? If not, then he isn't the one to blame here.

Even if he didn't, he could have it fixed if he cared to do so;

Dice//

Banned

Even shit like Ace Ventura 2 is pretty respectful of the cultures it lampoons.

The Native American jokes in The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt were also both funny and classy. You CAN have one and the other; but I doubt the caliber expected from a Sandler film makes it less likely.

I'm not defending the use of tired old racial stereotype jokes, but complaining about "feathers inappropriately positioned on a teepee" is hilarious. I can't even imagine how this could be made to be offensive.

At no point does anyone say "we got really super offended that the feathers were inappropriately positioned", they were listing off problems with the movie that the producers likely didn't care to hear about from the cultural adviser.

Shaanyboi

Banned
At no point does anyone say "we got really super offended that the feathers were inappropriately positioned", they were listing off problems with the movie that the producers likely didn't care to hear about from the cultural adviser.

Or the feathers were positioned to look like a dick or something. That seems like a thing he'd do, anyway.

commedieu

Banned

This is important to read. Its 1 out of multiple complaints.

The Native American jokes in The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt were also both funny and classy. You CAN have one and the other; but I doubt the caliber expected from a Sandler film makes it less likely.

The Native jokes in Parks and Rec were pretty funny.

Wamapoke Tribe
These are good examples. I don't expect Sandler or anyone writing near him to be as good as the writers for those shows.

Why is Netflix even funding this?

SalvaPot

It sounds incredibly stupid. You know what is even more stupid? Its going to be a success for netflix, this kind of lowbrow toilet humor is the kind of movie that used to do great in rentals and its going to do great in streaming. I hope I am wrong, but chances are its going to be watched a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom