• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

IrishNinja

waiting on Kiwamis to see what's changed, but...the big climax/etc in 1 felt a bit forced/hollow to me.

0 had heart. 0 had character. i can't wait to see what kiwami builds on that.

Opa-Pa

Now that I think about it... Yeah, I think 0 has been literally the only mainline Yakuza game to show restraint with the plot twist near the end and not try to pull nonsensical big baddies out of its ass. The most consistently well written as well for sure, IMO. Quite the change coming from 5 lol.

Majima's "Get to the Top" performance right? He single handedly makes this game way more fun for me. Well, him and Ryuuji, I just love that damn chain gun arm.

Yes! It's solid gold lmao. And yeah Ryuji being back and turning into a fairly likeable and noble guy was great too, not to mention hearing him sing Pure love in Kamurocho haha.

It's a bit unfortunate that this happened for you but series vets have known this fact for many years now lol.

It doesn't affect the story of Yakuza 0 in any real way at least.

Its funny in a way as if you played the game in release order then its not a spoiler at all, rather Yakuza 0 is an interesting look back at certain characters.
However, with 0 released and many new fans jumping right on board with the series I guess it can seem like a gigantic spoiler as nothing in 0 really indicates the change.

I didn't see the intro video as I press X immediately and I was blessed the game was installing while I downloaded the patch so I missed that as well.

Oh, I thought that you were talking about Kiwami, but now I realized you are just playing Zero. In any case, I wouldn't consider it a huge spoiler: the whole thing becomes obvious at the beginning of Yakuza 1/Kiwami, and you are SUPPOSED to know it in 0 since it's a prequel. In any case, if you know what's going to happen in this case, the scenes between Kiryu and Nishiki are even better for it. Besides, WHY and HOW are much more important in this case then WHAT.

Oh, I thought that you were talking about Kiwami, but now I realized you are just playing Zero. In any case, I wouldn't consider it a huge spoiler: the whole thing becomes obvious at the beginning of Yakuza 1/Kiwami, and you are SUPPOSED to know it in 0 since it's a prequel. In any case, if you know what's going to happen in this case, the scenes between Kiryu and Nishiki are even better for it.
Yup it just added a tinge of
sadness
to all the scenes of
loyalty and friendship
between the two.

Opa-Pa

Yakuza 0 made Nishiki an actually good character with real depth instead of some random guy I'm supposed to care about and then
resent for becoming an asshole out of nowhere after Kiryu sacrifices everything for him

Kiwami will be very interesting now that I genuinely care about their friendship. Almost every scene with him in it was fantastic in 0.

I would get the JP release too, but not understanding the story would leave too big a hole in the game for me, so I'll just wait like usual. :(
I know that feeling.

The only games that I've gotten JP versions of are Kenzan and Ishin, and that's because I was 100% sure that we'll never get them. (not so sure about Ishin anymore!)
I didn't see the intro video as I press X immediately and I was blessed the game was installing while I downloaded the patch so I missed that as well.
I'll just say that it's not as black and white as it may sound after reading that post. Especially in Kiwami.

Coda

After beating and getting the Platinum trophy for Yakuza 6 without knowing Japanese around December of last year I honestly don't know if I can completely go back to the older games now given what they did with the new engine and gameplay. It's just that good. The brawling just feels superb and on point and I can't wait to see what they do next with the series.

TehOh

Playing Kiwami and had a question, figured this was the place to ask -

I found the giant traffic cone that Majima is (I think) supposed to be under. The first time I walked up to it, there was some text, but I got distracted and missed what it said. Now, the cone is shaking, but I can't seem to activate it, and I haven't seen Majima for a bit. What do I need to do here?

[edit] Nevermind. I found another traffic cone with him under it. I'm confused, but it's Majima, so I'll go with it. :)

Opa-Pa

Do Majima's non-story fights not have his Receive You remix in Kiwami or did they get rid of all versions of the song in the western release? I just watched a video of a Majima Everywhere fight from the english version and it had a generic song :(

Weiss

Banned
So I've just discovered this series and it has me interested. What's a good place to start with this series? Will I be able to jump into Yakuza 6 when it comes out if I only play 0 and Kiwami?

Aki-at

So I've just discovered this series and it has me interested. What's a good place to start with this series? Will I be able to jump into Yakuza 6 when it comes out if I only play 0 and Kiwami?

A good place to start is definitely 0.

You'll probably be lost on a number of things in regards to 6 if all you did is play those 2 games as Yakuza 3 introduces characters relevant to Kiryu's life and where Yakuza 5 ends, Yakuza 6 picks up from. But thankfully these games have a recap movie per game so you could just watch those to find out what happened in 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Definitely start with Yakuza 0.

In regards to Yakuza 6, there are a few things that you'll miss but Yakuza games more or less have stand alone stories, so overall you should be fine with going Y0 -> YK -> Y6.

Do watch a story recap of at least Y4-5 on youtube if you can (after playing Kiwami). Since it's always better to have a bit of reference. But yeah, overall you should be okay.

Weiss

Banned
So before I dive in, I'd like to know what it's like. Videos tell me it's sort of a Shenmue style game which seems interesting.

bluethree

Yakuza 0 made Nishiki an actually good character with real depth instead of some random guy I'm supposed to care about and then
resent for becoming an asshole out of nowhere after Kiryu sacrifices everything for him

Kiwami will be very interesting now that I genuinely care about their friendship. Almost every scene with him in it was fantastic in 0.

nishiki is seriously one of the best parts of 0. he's so fucking cool there, and seeing him like this before his change definitely adds extra weight to his story in 1

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

If you start with Zero I imagine playing 3-5 would be difficult to go back to.

So before I dive in, I'd like to know what it's like. Videos tell me it's sort of a Shenmue style game which seems interesting.

Shenmue is more of a story/quest game with the odd fight here and there whereas Yakuza is more of a beat em up rpg. I'm not saying there's no story in Yakuza, far from it, it just has tonnes of battles. You'd easily finish a game of Yakuza and have had 300 fights.

ZeroD

Can anyone point me to a good story synopsis of 5? I never had the chance to play it (nor do I have a PS3 anymore) and I know 6 doesn't have any recaps

JJShadow

For those who imported and played Kiwami, how long is the game (both for story-only and completionist)? I'm getting this and Destiny 2 on the 6th of September, and once Destiny hits I'm afraid it's gonna take all my gaming time, so I'd like to finish this one before

Shanaynay

Never played the original Yakuza on PS2, only got into the serie with 3 when i got a PS3 years ago so i'm excited for Kiwami, 0 was a blast to play.

Shanaynay

Yakuza fan and likes fighting games. We'll get along just fine you and me.
Gladly! The more people i can get along with the more it will make me love the latter genre. I'll say for the latter though i need to break out of my beginner curve shell and stick to the genre. I've always played them on and off but never before as it made me get a fight stick and try several games (for chuckles) like recently. ;)

And i'll be honest, playing those games...it makes others feel dull. But not Yakuza cause i get to break skull in spectacular fashion.

For those who imported and played Kiwami, how long is the game (both for story-only and completionist)? I'm getting this and Destiny 2 on the 6th of September, and once Destiny hits I'm afraid it's gonna take all my gaming time, so I'd like to finish this one before

I imported Kiwami and didn't play it due to the localisation announcement haha, but the original was around 15 hours and How Long To Beat lists this as similar. Shorter than 0, that's for sure.

Story wise as mentioned before its pretty much the same. There are a few new scenes that don't add much time to the game, and Majima will probably slow you down some. I'd say 20 hours give or take.

For 100% completion? 80-100 hours I guess. It has much less in terms of the 100% completion target than 0, but Majima pushes up that time. I don't remember how long I took to 100% it so that number is just an estimate, it could well take less time.

Gacha-pin

IIRC, I beat the game in 45-50 hours and my completion was about 80%. I think the main story length is 10-15 hours.

JJShadow

I imported Kiwami and didn't play it due to the localisation announcement haha, but the original was around 15 hours and How Long To Beat lists this as similar. Shorter than 0, that's for sure.

Story wise as mentioned before its pretty much the same. There are a few new scenes that don't add much time to the game, and Majima will probably slow you down some. I'd say 20 hours give or take.

For 100% completion? 80-100 hours I guess. It has much less in terms of the 100% completion target than 0, but Majima pushes up that time. I don't remember how long I took to 100% it so that number is just an estimate, it could well take less time.

IIRC, I beat the game in 45-50 hours and my completion was about 80%. I think the main story length is 10-15 hours.

Thank you guys, it seems to be much shorter than Zero indeed, so it should be doable for me to finish the main story and some side stuff before Destiny 2

9NHJtuGha.gif

*We've had two non Kiryu Yakuza games - the PSP ones. Both decent, but it took me quite a while to warm to Tatsuya, hopefully however they use as a protagonist for the next new game isn't as big of a jerk as he was in the beginning few chapters of the first Black Panter game.

Anyways, been working on Yakuza 0 this weekend... buying up properties for Majima Club Czar side content left me with a paltry 1 million yen left. Oh look! Its Mr Shakedown, no harm in fighting him again, not like I'd lose much if he beats me... a few minutes later Majima walks away with 60,000,000 Yen!
Up to 3 clubs beaten with Majima now, I'll leave the rest for the upcoming chapters and get on with the main story stuff as I've managed to pretty much do all of Majima's side stuff now up to this point (even mini games). The combat keeps getting better, I've now got counter attacks, multiple new awesome heat moves and all round fleshed out moves lists for all styles.

We had 4 Yakuza games without Kiryu.

Kenzan and Ishin aren't about Kiryu either :p

Well I bought Yakuza 0.
Welcome.

Now please keep these in mind:
Remember that there is no autosave. You have to save at a phone in your home base, or on the streets.

Just play at your own pace. The game is fairly slow but starts to open up by chapter 2 so you can just follow the main story, or do substories at your own pace it's up to you.

Substories aren't marked on the main map, but you CAN obtain an item later on for both characters that reveals the start location for them.

The game allows you to finish every single side activity before the ending of the game, as well as AFTER finishing the story so don't worry about that.

And finally:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

*We've had two non Kiryu Yakuza games - the PSP ones. Both decent, but it took me quite a while to warm to Tatsuya, hopefully however they use as a protagonist for the next new game isn't as big of a jerk as he was in the beginning few chapters of the first Black Panter game.

We had 4 Yakuza games without Kiryu.

Kenzan and Ishin aren't about Kiryu either :p:
I didn't bother to understand a word of Ishin's story, so both those games have Kiryu as the protagonist for me thank you very much!

And yeah, I never played those 2 games. But for me Kiryu's always been the face of the series so it's just gonna be weird not having him around. His soothing voice that I can listen to all day hmmmmm.

Aki-at

You're all wrong, we're just playing different periods of Nagoshi's life as portrayed by Takaya Kuroda.

(It's going to bother me not seeing his face anymore and well he is the dragon in the title after all!)

Man, what I wouldn't give to play as Tanimura again. I just loved his playstyle sooo much. And his story and character was so much fun.

I really wanna see an Akiyama game. He is my favorite protag in the entire series.

But they'll probably go for a completely new character and make this game a sort of reboot for the franchise. I'm just curious to know how much of the formula they are willing to change. Yakuza 6 was already a big step towards modernizing the series (in a good way) so I wonder how far they are willing to go before drawing the line.

whybother

Neo Member
I'm trying to finish 0 before Kiwami but it's taking so long since I don't want to miss the substories. They're too many and too fun to skip..

I'm trying to finish 0 before Kiwami but it's taking so long since I don't want to miss the substories. They're too many and too fun to skip..

Yeah I haven't been back to 0 to finish up Platinum Adventure mode since P5 came out, and then just as I finished that the NMS 1.3 update came out which is absorbing my time now. Kind of wish Kiwami was coming out in the fall. I have to finish all the 0 sidestories first!

Speaking of 0, whenever I hear Billy Stewart's Sitting in the Park now, I always think of that park scene with Majima.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The story in this is something else, it's a lot easier to follow too. I just finished the section at the chiropractors and the early part of the next level with Kiryu and Nishiki in Sarina(?) and those scenes blew me away. I can tell you right now this is my GOTY.

Didn't realise we'd be getting Kiwami reviews today, that'll be interesting. I'm hoping for solid 8's from most outlets. I don't think it'll review as high as 0 since its got less content and is very similar to 0 and since its out so soon I just have a feeling it won't be praised so highly.
That said its still an incredibly solid game with an excellent story and characters, and its budget priced...

Frankly I'm far more interested in 6's reviews over here, with its various improvements to the engine that makes it feel more like a current gen game I wonder if it'll do really well. Especially for new/casual fans for the series who will probably be less critical of what was left out compared to more hardcore/long standing fans.

IrishNinja

Seems so weird man. We're gonna get a Yakuza game that DOESN'T have Kiryu playable.

i still say i'd love a yakuza game where he's the bad guy that's taken over the tojo family & you have to unite to take him down, after which he leaves off into the sunset for okinana knowing that the family finally can survive without him

i still say i'd love a yakuza game where he's the bad guy that's taken over the tojo family & you have to unite to take him down, after which he leaves off into the sunset for okinana knowing that the family finally can survive without him

So basically, his
fight against Daigo
in Yakuza 4 turned into a whole game and the roles reversed?

I'm down with that.

IrishNinja

So basically, his
fight against Daigo
in Yakuza 4 turned into a whole game and the roles reversed?

I'm down with that.

exactly that, ive been thinking about it pretty much since that scene, yeah
he's been too much of a crutch for them & it feels like a great way to grow the world/family around him while still maintaining his status as a legend

AKIYAMA'S TIME TO SHINE Y'ALL

Top Bottom