• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so...DS homebrew..whats up?

rod

Banned
so i got a flashcart for my ds yesterday, and im dieing to try out emulators and homebrew and whatnot. i only have genesis/snes/master system/nes cartridges, so thats all im interested in getting, what are some good ones? any cool homebrew games out there? fill me in:)

rod

Banned
Mejilan said:
Don't you need some sort of Pass-me device as well? I don't really keep up.

the dude who sold it to me flashed the ds for me :) got rid of that stupid warning at startup too :D

Genny has no sound yet but has about 75% - 80% speed

SNES is good for some games, for example I'm playing Earthbound.

NES is flawless except there's no saving yet.

SCUMMVM DS is the best I think.

Just an update on new flash carts.

DS Lite sized carts are on the way, two are announced so far.

This is the G6 Lite.
It doesn't stick out like GBA games and it fits in the slot just like the GBA cover included with the DS Lite.
g6lite1.jpg

There is also the EZ Flash IV Lite with uses Micro SD for removable media. I'm lazy to find pics right now but the design isn't as discreet as G6 Lite. It sticks out about 1mm and has gaps. I'm sure the design is not finalized though.

Stryder said:
Is there a homebrew mp3 player available yet?

there's Moonshell, which plays mp3 and many other audio and video formats and has a text viewer and image viewer...

and then there's DSOrganize, which is a organizer app with calendar, notes, etc functions and a calculator that also plays mp3's...

there's also a standalone mp3 player, though it isn't as compatible as the other two...

Yusaku

A warning to anyone that's going to flash a DS Lite, you can brick it if you're not careful. I guess when you short SL1 you can short something else that will brick it when you try to flash. Supposedly insulating the sides of whatever you're using to short SL1 will help. I've never actually flashed a DS, but I wanted to check out homebrew for my DS Lite tomorrow, so I just grabbed a Max Media Launcher, which is a NoPass that's the exact same size as a normal DS cart. Only downside is you can't put your DS to sleep with it in.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yusaku said:
A warning to anyone that's going to flash a DS Lite, you can brick it if you're not careful. I guess when you short SL1 you can short something else that will brick it when you try to flash. Supposedly insulating the sides of whatever you're using to short SL1 will help. I've never actually flashed a DS, but I wanted to check out homebrew for my DS Lite tomorrow, so I just grabbed a Max Media Launcher, which is a NoPass that's the exact same size as a normal DS cart. Only downside is you can't put your DS to sleep with it in.

That's the Datel solution? I think I have that too. One day after I ordered the Datel Pass-me, I read about some new versions that allow sleep mode. Blargh.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
PhoenixDark said:
But Sporsk, isn't all this supposed to be illegal?

mmm yeah but i dont see anyone downloading pirated games, while id never play the crappy knock off geometry wars instead of the real one theres nothing illegal about the software itself.

the legality of modding a system to play homebrew is kind of shakey im sure but as long as this is about homebrew and not running pirated roms then i dont see the problem. i mean we had a psp thread stickied for ****ing ever about the same thing.

Yusaku

Mejilan said:
That's the Datel solution? I think I have that too. One day after I ordered the Datel Pass-me, I read about some new versions that allow sleep mode. Blargh.

Yeah, I read about some Superpass thingy that will let you sleep, but I don't want to wait. If it's unbearable I'll just flash it, since it sounds like people have figured out how to flash the Lite safely.

Yusaku said:
Yeah, I read about some Superpass thingy that will let you sleep, but I don't want to wait. If it's unbearable I'll just flash it, since it sounds like people have figured out how to flash the Lite safely.
basically, you just insulate whatever you are going to short sl1 with, leaving only the tip exposed...

Mejilan said:
But sleep mode... :(
flash it and use a real game

dock

It's good to know that the recent passme cards get around the newer firmware. I have a Japanese Red DS, so I never got into DS homebrew because of the problems.

What's the most convenient way to play NES and SNES games on a DS? Are they just drag and drop files, or would I have to clear out the card each time and do funky things with the ROMs?

I'm stuck between wanting to immediately get something and waiting just a while until some of the new things come out and are widely available. I really dont want something sticking out of the DS Lite, the damn thing is *so* pretty.

FiRez

I've modded xbox, x360, PS2, psp and GC's but this seems to be kinda expensive and complicated, but I'm still interested

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The homebrew scene on the DS really pales in comparision to the PSP. I'd almost go as far to say that if you own both, and you own one of those cart things, then your most likely using it for something other then homebrew. The ONLY advantage I see in the DS is ScummVM.

Suikoguy said:
The homebrew scene on the DS really pales in comparision to the PSP. I'd almost go as far to say that if you own both, and you own one of those cart things, then your most likely using it for something other then homebrew. The ONLY advantage I see in the DS is ScummVM.

Actually I use it to see what the latest things are in homebrew being released so if it's cool enough I can post it on my site as news.

I do have both and while the PSP homebrew scene is bigger, I enjoy the DS side a bit more.

Suikoguy said:
SylphIRC and DSOrganize say hi

nothing like a touchscreen for kb input

(well, except maybe a KB :p)

MutFox

Banned
The Faceless Master said:

Hmm... Can those 2 apps be run under Moonshell?
I'm guessing probably not. :lol

I really wish a calendar type program came stock with the DS.
And IRC? Holy crap, that's wicked awesome!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The Faceless Master said:

Yeah, I guess there are those too :)

Mejilan

Truly told, I won't be playing roms on my DSL. I am more interested in that DSOrganizer, however! Perhaps SCUMM as well.

Rlan

Are there any "This is what the ROMS look like on the DS screen" shots around? I'd like to see what the resolution for NES, SNES and Megadrive games are like with the different-shaped DS screen.

demi

i think i'll pass on this whole flashcard thing, if i had access to playing ROMs i wouldn't even touch my legit games

i'll stick to my other things for that

rod

Banned
well i tried out the snes and genny emus...theyre pretty bad tbh, i think il stick to the psp for emu goodness. oh and to the dude who said theres no point in having one but playing roms, i dont think this card even plays commercial roms :O shock horror, i got it for 40AU

Basically, unless you're an ARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!-tificial gamer, the whole DS passme/flashcart scene is basically a calendar and ScummVM. Maybe some passworded NES games as well

BTW: The DS has some really awesome homebrew games, such as a homebrew RPG, Super Mario Sunshine DS was released not too long ago, and Quake seems to be coming along nicely for it.

BTW: The N64 emu on PSP is now getting like 15FPS in Mario 64. killer.

Ecrofirt

Do the US DS Lites still flash easily?

I've been thinking about picking one up soon now that I'm working.

What's the deal? PassMe-type device, flash card with FlashMe, and a screwdriver? Use the PassMe to boot the GBA cart, boot up FlashMe, and use a screwdriver to short out SL1?

Is it still that easy? Does it still only take a few minutes? I think I might do some basic programming for it if that's the case.

Zen

Banned
rod said:
so i got a flashcart for my ds yesterday, and im dieing to try out emulators and homebrew and whatnot. i only have genesis/snes/master system/nes cartridges, so thats all im interested in getting, what are some good ones? any cool homebrew games out there? fill me in:)

Your thread title comes very close to neing a Luke-ism... thread carefully. :lol

rod

Banned
Ecrofirt said:
Do the US DS Lites still flash easily?

I've been thinking about picking one up soon now that I'm working.

What's the deal? PassMe-type device, flash card with FlashMe, and a screwdriver? Use the PassMe to boot the GBA cart, boot up FlashMe, and use a screwdriver to short out SL1?

Is it still that easy? Does it still only take a few minutes? I think I might do some basic programming for it if that's the case.

it took my mate less than 1 minute to do, and all he had was a screwdriver

Jefklak

DIrtyWeasel said:
This is the G6 Lite.
It doesn't stick out like GBA games and it fits in the slot just like the GBA cover included with the DS Lite.

Wait, so this is a GBA cartridge, right?
So I can also play gba games on it?
How much RAM? Most DS things work with SD or something like that, wich always sticks out... Or not?

I found more pics
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=21432
$65 for 512MB version, not much but not much space

g6lite3.jpg

The forums I go to are offline right now, i'll try to respond by memory. Sorry if I am wrong with some of my facts.

Jefklak said:
Wait, so this is a GBA cartridge, right?
So I can also play gba games on it?
I read that there would be two versions of this product, one that can play GBA games and one that cannot. The one shown in the pictures does not have an internal battery and this would be needed to save GBA save files. Doesn't matter to me because I won't use it for GBA games.

Jefklak said:
How much RAM? Most DS things work with SD or something like that, wich always sticks out... Or not?
The most popular flash carts right now are those that use some type of removable media, because they offer more space for cheaper. The G6 is made by the people who make the M3. M3 is thier product line with the removable media and G6 are the products which have flash memory. The G6 Lite shown only has 4Gbit (512MB).

M3, Supercard and EZ Flash all have products which use Mini SD, and are the same size as a normal GBA cart. They don't stick out on the normal DS, but they do stick out on a DS Lite just like a GBA game. Since EZ Flash revealed thier new DS Lite product, I think it's only a matter of time before Micro SD versions of M3 and Supercard are announced.

Bojangles

You should try out some GBA homebrew, the scene there was MUCH larger (I would say it even rivals the PSP, but I'd be talking out my ass cuz I just don't follow the psp scene).

There are lots of really good GBA homebrews, much of it from france(!) Check out Mario Balls

womp

This is why homebrew rocks...

gbcdslite.jpg

Supercard with built in hardwired NES/GB emulation. Kirby Block Ball is one of my all time favorites on the GB and it looks delicious on the DSLite.

Nintendo needs to put out a DS sequel or something...I'd buy that day one.

That Dragon's Lair port that dude is doing is incredible as well...Hope it gets finished someday.

dslair3.jpg

Jefklak

Goomba Color is not making progress. That sucks.
I want to run Wario Land 3 without the iffy sound & walk animations

tenchir

JRPereira said:
So uh, what to do if the DS doesn't flash easily? Paperweight?

To flash DSL with flashme, you have to be very careful. When you have to touch the SLI contact to each other to start the flash, you have to avoid touching the metal screw that is right next to them. Touching that screw will instantly brick your DSL.

Mejilan

E-Nature said:
Just use a PASSCARD3 and you have your sleep mode :D

Cept I just ordered Datel's MML, which is essentially a well-designed, small Passcard2, IIRC. Blah.

tenchir said:
To flash DSL with flashme, you have to be very careful. When you have to touch the SLI contact to each other to start the flash, you have to avoid touching the metal screw that is right next to them. Touching that screw will instantly brick your DSL.
or you just insulate whatever you're using anf even if you do touch the side, nothing happens...

womp

Mejilan said:
Cept I just ordered Datel's MML, which is essentially a well-designed, small Passcard2, IIRC. Blah.

MML works beautifully with the DSLite. Foil covered toothpick flashing tool FTW. :lol

Top Bottom