• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so...DS homebrew..whats up?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The Faceless Master said:
yes i did.

If you did, then you understand that i recomended waiting for the NinjaPASS solution, so you can use whatever size you want SD/CF cards instead of the built-in 512mbit from NinjaDS.

Which makes your reply (the fact that 512mbit of the NinjaDS is not enough for your needs) kinda pointless...

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
What are some reliable retailers online that carry the G6 Lite and the PassCard3?

Also, when playing emulated GBA games, is it possible to change the controls/button mapping to utilize any of the 4 main DS buttons instead of only A and B?

drizzle said:
If you did, then you understand that i recomended waiting for the NinjaPASS solution, so you can use whatever size you want SD/CF cards instead of the built-in 512mbit from NinjaDS.

Which makes your reply (the fact that 512mbit of the NinjaDS is not enough for your needs) kinda pointless...

I'm really curious about what you mean with this SD/CF cards instead of built in flash. Where will they go? Hanging out of slot 1 a la PassMe2?

PassMe2.jpg

An SD card could technically fit inside a DS game card but nothing else would fit inside. As for CF card... no.

ShinNL

Wow, I played a bit with my G6 lite and it's great.

- Moonshell is awesome (looks gorgeous with a skin)
- Beup v0.3 is awesome (msn, v0.3 is so much better/faster/more stable than v0.2)

- Picture viewing is horrible :(
Anyone know what I can try? The built-in picture viewer in moonshell is way too slow for my 1600x1200 png pictures (Bleach manga). DSorganize doesn't support G6... anything else I can try?

- Where are the homebrew games?
So yeah... I was posting on GAF and then I remembered... games! Are there are homebrew games for the DS that are worth playing, besides emulation? Googling didn't help much :/

Great media device for slot-2. But it's still about the games, back to Tetris now :)

bump.

seconds away from getting a DS lite, but i don't want to risk having my super card go to waste.

what's the deal? anyone? appreciate it.

drizzle said:

i read that part but assumed it wasn't for me as i previously pointed out that a DS slot solution wouldn't run GBA homebrew.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
The DS doesn't emulate GBA games, and no you cannot use the X/Y buttons

Really? I could've sworn I saw posts about people playing GBA ROMs on their DS...so it's just NES, SNES, SMS, and GB games?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
the DS plays GBA natively, not via emulation...

I realize that, but perhaps someone doesn't want to buy the game...

So are ROMs playable or not?

BuddyC

404Ender said:
I realize that, but perhaps someone doesn't want to buy the game...

So are ROMs playable or not?
Man, you are not asking if you can run GBA ROMs on the DS with the excuse of "perhaps someone doesn't want to buy the game." You are not asking if you can pirate GBA games on the DS. You just aren't.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
This whole thread involves potential piracy on the DS of various systems, what makes this any different?

And the reason I was asking was because I wanted to know if there was something in whatever program is used that allows configurable controls. I'd rather play Super Mario World with Y and B, not B and A for run and jump. It's more comfortable and is what I'm used to.

BuddyC

404Ender said:
This whole thread involves potential piracy on the DS of various systems, what makes this any different?

And the reason I was asking was because I wanted to know if there was something in whatever program is used that allows configurable controls. I'd rather play Super Mario World with Y and B, not B and A for run and jump. It's more comfortable and is what I'm used to.
Again, with your above post reading "but perhaps someone doesn't want to buy the game..." I'm not exactly believing you. Tread carefully.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
BuddyC said:
Again, with your above post reading "but perhaps someone doesn't want to buy the game..." I'm not exactly believing you. Tread carefully.

404Ender said:
What are some reliable retailers online that carry the G6 Lite and the PassCard3?

Also, when playing emulated GBA games, is it possible to change the controls/button mapping to utilize any of the 4 main DS buttons instead of only A and B?

^^^

I posted that way before I posted the one you're referring to. The only reason I phrased it that way was to prevent confusion between the DS's native support of GBA games, and running GBA games while using the homebrew stuff (since the G6 Lite uses the GBA slot).

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Have I whored by gba homebrew game in this thread yet? No?

Play Puzzle Dungeon you bastards!

http://www.puzzledungeon.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=1

edited for extra whoring:

rom: http://www.puzzledungeon.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=1
manual: http://www.puzzledungeon.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=2

Puzzle Dungeon Advance
title.png
world.PNG

level01.PNG
level02.PNG

A little over a year ago my old college roomate and I finished development of our excrutiatingly difficult puzzle game, puzzle dungeon advance. It went on to win the Michael S. Hughes Software Engineering Award.

If even one person tries the game out, that would just make my day.

Even if you absolutely despise the game, please tell me. The only thing that would make me sad is if this thread trails off into oblivion without any responses. The only thing I’m not terribly interested in feedback wise is the graphics (but you can still talk about them if you wish). The majority of the games graphics were done by me personally. But I’m a programmer, not an artist. And I suck. Suck bad. So you won’t hurt my feelings if you don’t like the art.

Description:

Puzzle Dungeon Advance is a puzzle game split up into 7 worlds for a total of 100 levels. As you beat levels, adjacent levels become unlocked with some restrictions (can’t cross the river/lake and can’t enter the graveyard until you’ve found the hammer are some examples). The goal of every level is to push the blocks so that all goal squares are covered by blocks of the same color.

Pressing B at any item will allow you to undo 1 move.

Different colored blocks have different movement rules.

Green/Yellow/Magenta: have no special rules. Push however you want.
Red: when you push a red block, all other red blocks move oppositely.
Blue: when you push a blue block, all other blue blocks move in the same direction.
Ice (only found in the Ice Mountains): continue to slide until they hit another block or wall

There are 4 unlockable items.
Hammer: allow you to destroy special breakable blocks
Boots: allow you to jump over 1 hole
Hookshot: allow you to pull yourself to a block 4 spaces away
Gloves: allow you to pull blocks as well as push

Items are obtained by beating certain levels throughout the game. Cycle through the items with the R/L buttons and use an item by press A. In the case of gloves, hold A and then push a direction.

Items are often neccisary to beat a level but the world is structured such that if you can play a level, you can beat it with your current items. Its not possible to enter a level you can't beat. You can, however, get an item and then go back to beat previous levels you couldn't figure out. Being able to pull blocks, for instance, makes a lot of hard levels much easier.

You can also use items to improve your score in a given level.

Scoring:

Everything you do in a level increases your score by 1 point. Try and beat levels with as low a score as possible. The best score is maintained for every level, and world scores in the main menu sums up your total score for an area once you have beaten every level. For example, you will have a ‘Forest’ score once you have beaten all the forest levels.

Saving:

There is one save file that does auto-saving. Every time you beat a level the game is saved and when you turn on the game that save file is automatically loaded. So you can turn the game off and come back later to continue beating levels.

Known Issue: The only time I have ever had an issue with saving is on the DS with some carts we had made. I don't know if its the carts, or the software, but on random occasions when you boot up on the DS, your save file will not be as you left it. Simply resetting the DS will fix this.

Story:

uhh... this guy has an unhealthy addiction to shoving blocks. You must help him OD on it so that he will orgasm to death and finally be at peace?

BuddyC

slayn: If this Game Boy Advance Movie Player I've had sitting in my closet for a year permits, I'll give your game a go. Sounds good.

koam

This thread sucks. I was expecting a homebrew discussion, not a how to use flashme etc one

I haven't worked on any DS homebrew since katrina hit last year (affected the person I was working with not me). It was kinda annoying because i never got my ds flashed so i was working with the awful emulators they had at the time. My touchis game (touch tetris, nothing like tetris ds, and i worked on it before tetris ds was even announced :p) is pretty far in developement. I've just lost all interest and god, it sucked away all my free time working on the engine.

Now that I "got" how to dev for DS, i would be able to pull off something fairly quickly but i no longer have time, patience or motivation for that stuff. I'd gladly lend a hand to someone here if anyone needs some help (but I will NOT help anyone start from scratch, too much effort).

slayn

koam said:
This thread sucks. I was expecting a homebrew discussion, not a how to use flashme etc one

I haven't worked on any DS homebrew since katrina hit last year (affected the person I was working with not me). It was kinda annoying because i never got my ds flashed so i was working with the awful emulators they had at the time. My touchis game (touch tetris, nothing like tetris ds, and i worked on it before tetris ds was even announced :p) is pretty far in developement. I've just lost all interest and god, it sucked away all my free time working on the engine.

Now that I "got" how to dev for DS, i would be able to pull off something fairly quickly but i no longer have time, patience or motivation for that stuff. I'd gladly lend a hand to someone here if anyone needs some help (but I will NOT help anyone start from scratch, too much effort).

I've not checked out the DS homebrew programming scene at all, is there a HAM (gba IDE) equivalent or anything close to it? Honestly, I could never imagine wanting to work on a game if you have to be thinking down at the level of registers. One look at that would turn me off completely.

koam

slayn said:
I've not checked out the DS homebrew programming scene at all, is there a HAM (gba IDE) equivalent or anything close to it? Honestly, I could never imagine wanting to work on a game if you have to be thinking down at the level of registers. One look at that would turn me off completely.

I'm rusty, it's been a year but yes, there was a HAM for the DS (it was just released then and I never used it). You don't need to worry about the registers though (you just use the DEFINES that are already setup for you), the ARM DEV kits that were available last year were pretty damn good and almost complete. Honestly, once you figure out how it works, it's so damn easy. I will admit that thinking of registers and whatnot is scary but it's not bad at all. My code is pretty much all straight C++.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
liquoredonlife said:
I'm really curious about what you mean with this SD/CF cards instead of built in flash. Where will they go? Hanging out of slot 1 a la PassMe2?

Yes.

Either sticks upwards:
NinjaStickyPerfil.jpg

Or wraps around the back:
Ushape.jpg

No date of release as of today.

Again:
NinjaDS = Slot1 <-> SD/CF card interface
NinjaPass = Slot1 flashcart with built in 512mbit flashram

Not made by the same company.

PERSONALLY, i really believe some day some crazy ass company will come with a DS-Sized cart that's a interface for Micro-SD flash. I don't think it's impossible. Somebody made this:

sd_adapter.png

Which is only a direct connection between the SRAM save to the miniSD cart (thus, not really allowing for proper homebrew usage). But it kinda fits...

slayn

koam said:
I'm rusty, it's been a year but yes, there was a HAM for the DS (it was just released then and I never used it). You don't need to worry about the registers though (you just use the DEFINES that are already setup for you), the ARM DEV kits that were available last year were pretty damn good and almost complete. Honestly, once you figure out how it works, it's so damn easy. I will admit that thinking of registers and whatnot is scary but it's not bad at all. My code is pretty much all straight C++.

I was just guessing based on your distaste of starting from scratch or something that the scene wasn't developed enough. Because honestly, when Panajev and I were back working on a gba 'engine' it took god damn forever to get anything done.

For Puzzle Dungeon, my roomate and I finally really took advantage of what HAM had to offer and suddenly starting from scratch didn't raelly mean much of anything. User input, etc, was basically handled. And the fact that the 'lowest' data structures we had to think about were sprites and tiled backgrounds made things pretty nice.

bluemax

Banned
Slayn I'll give your game a go as long as I don't forget about it before I get home. Actually I just posted a stickie to myself to do it.

Any good sites or what not for getting into DS dev? I've got a bunch of stuff on GBA dev but since there's not much work in that I figure I should start reading up on DS.

koam

slayn said:
I was just guessing based on your distaste of starting from scratch or something that the scene wasn't developed enough. Because honestly, when Panajev and I were back working on a gba 'engine' it took god damn forever to get anything done.

For Puzzle Dungeon, my roomate and I finally really took advantage of what HAM had to offer and suddenly starting from scratch didn't raelly mean much of anything. User input, etc, was basically handled. And the fact that the 'lowest' data structures we had to think about were sprites and tiled backgrounds made things pretty nice.

Sorry, my distaste comes from other factors (namely my real work; i work from scratch so often, it annoys me now). I had done some GBA work too but the DS is a lot easier to deal with (granted though, i wasn't using objects when working with the GBA so my code was a mess). There are more tools that have been developped since then and the libraries are more functional. I've never used HAM so I can't really comment on that.

The only bitch part is creating your tile engine. If I remember correctly, your vram can hold a screen's worth of data + give or take a border of about 2 tiles or so (16x16). If you're not doing any scrolling though, you can probably have a playable game (i.e a moving sprite on a background) in a few hours.

Oh and the DS' touch screen is INCREDIBLY easy to work with, it's nothing more than an (X,Y) axis.

Any good sites or what not for getting into DS dev? I've got a bunch of stuff on GBA dev but since there's not much work in that I figure I should start reading up on DS.

The gbadev.org forums (ds section) and drunkencoders.com were what i used.

slayn

The only bitch part is creating your tile engine. If I remember correctly, your vram can hold a screen's worth of data + give or take a border of about 2 tiles or so (16x16). If you're not doing any scrolling though, you can probably have a playable game (i.e a moving sprite on a background) in a few hours.

It could hold more depending on the ecomplexity and the number of backgrounds. Puzzle Dungeon as is is hanging pretty close to the edge on vram even without scrolling since its 4 layers. But like our credits screen I *think* is a single scrolling background. Maybe it got broken up into two. I forget.

All this talk is making me want to get into DS development now, but I outright refuse to do this again unless its 'all out.' In which case I would want an artist making sprites and tiles from day 1. I've never found any willing/good artists though willing to work for free =P

(although at least for puzzle dungeon it was the coolest thing ever to have gaf's fightforfreeform compise custom music for our game)

slayn

Jefklak said:
slayn, nice game, but so hard :(:(

roughly 50% of people that play it can't beat the first level. I was kinda surprised how hard it turned out. But then most of the levels were designed by me and my roomate who are puzzle game fanatics that beat denki blocks immediately before making this game.

Honestly, if I go back to the game now, I can only figure out like 1/3 of them. And I made them in the first place.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just tried out Puzzle Dungeon (which works on a GBA emulator btw, so no one has any excuses on passing up the download)

I only beat the first level but yeah, I thought the difficulty already spiked up pretty high. Took me a while to figure out the mechanics. The high difficulty and gameplay has me intrigued though, I think I'll play this for a little longer

Cool game :)

p.s. I will beat level 4 by the end of the day, dammit.

bluemax

Banned
Thanks I knew about gbadev wasn't sure how much they had gone over to DS stuff.

Some friends of mine made a DS game for a class last semester and they had a lot of troubles. I think largely because of whatever development environment they used.

jgkspsx

I played Puzzle Dungeon in the last thread about it, but I didn't respond. I will do so -- in that thread. It doesn't really have anything to do with this thread, but a DS sequel could be really cool.

Heck, take out the avatar (I know, I know, the Adventures of Lolo fan within me hates the idea too), slap on some decent techno music and sleek industrial graphics, throw on some particle effects, and you could sell it to Q! entertainment.

Kleevah

Wollan said:
Anyone know what happened with the DS DOOM project?
If you speak of the 'original' Doom DS project I wouldn't hold my breath. The guy who started it, defect, is an artist, not a programmer and the project never had anything exept some flaky test renders, none which even ran on a real DS. Not to seem too pessimistic or anything, but it was widely accepted in the scene that this project was getting nowhere.

However, very recently (today actually), it was announced that TheChuckster and WinterMute completed a fully fledged port of DOOM WITH ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!

dsdoom2sb3.jpg

Blurry video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SgItL4LV44

The homepage said:
Features:
* DSDoom loads any Prboom-compatible IWAD file.
* Single-player is playable at very smooth framerates.
* Multiplayer network play is possible using DS wifi and prboom_server.exe.
* Configuration file.
* Sound effects work with stereo panning.

Future Plans:
* Possibly a better net code or music support (would be very difficult though because of the MIDI files DOOM uses).
* Touch screen control.

Check out http://dsdoom.devkitpro.org/...

(Dunno if these news deserve a new thread or what, and im only a junior member anyway. If anyone feels like making one that would be nice)

dslinkgs5.jpg

looks like there's a DS sized solution that uses microSD...
MaxConsole said:
Thanks to this ongoing forum thread we now have more information on the sweet looking Micro SD compatible DS flashcart which is the size of an ordinary game cart! First for the bad news, it doesn't function as a nopassme device so you will have to flash your DS to use it and will require patching. Now for the good news, new pictures have been released which show it looking as if development is more than complete and a release by the end of this month is expected!
Source: MaxConsole

funny part bolded

jgkspsx

Kleevah said:
However, very recently (today actually), it was announced that TheChuckster and WinterMute completed a fully fledged port of DOOM WITH ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!
Aw yeah. I need to try that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
dslinkgs5.jpg

looks like there's a DS sized solution that uses microSD...
Source: MaxConsole

funny part bolded

f-me! I was this close to ordering a supercard Lite (although waiting for a blue one). I have a flashed DS (for when using old supercard and no passme). So this would just replace my big purple thing?

womp

That DS Doom is fantastic...I snagged the shareware wad and played through the first 4 levels, awesome stuff...Great framerate, controls. Just amazing.

Now give me Duke 3D with touch screen mouse look and LAN play and I can die and go to heaven happy as a pig in poop.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
it's pretty sad that they can't even be bothered to use product pics and have to just photoshop some stuff up...

here's real pics:

m3 lite

m3lite1ka6.jpg

m3lite2sy0.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wario64 said:
here's real pics:

m3 lite

Nice that its in a dark colour, but I generally prefer the supercard - hopefully they'll come out with a dark blue/black one soon.

BTW, how is moonshell? I have a big card and I'm curious about using the DS as a movie/mp3 player.

How do you convert stuff to .dvm format, and is it any good (eg compared to video ipod, psp)

dock

Do any of you guys actually use your DS for MP3s then, on a regular basis?

Man, DS homebrew looks awesome, especially with the micro-SD cards. This would be super convenient for me as I have a SD card slot on my laptop (so I could use the SD - Micro SD adapter).

It's making me want to buy a DS Lite too! :eek:

I hope they can fix the DSLink to work properly as a passme device though, that would be the ideal solution.

mrklaw said:
Nice that its in a dark colour, but I generally prefer the supercard - hopefully they'll come out with a dark blue/black one soon.

What difference does it make? Don't they all work the same way?

I'm thinking of a G6 lite. Anyone want to tell me why I should get something else instead? I feel like I'm in the dark here.

I don't plan on watching movies or playing mp3 files.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Shadow said:
What difference does it make? Don't they all work the same way?

I'm thinking of a G6 lite. Anyone want to tell me why I should get something else instead? I feel like I'm in the dark here.

I don't plan on watching movies or playing mp3 files.

no. Supercard and M3 are generally held to be more reliable/faster. I have the supercard mini so a supercard lite so I'd prefer to stay with the supercard (just familar to me)

mrklaw said:
no. Supercard and M3 are generally held to be more reliable/faster. I have the supercard mini so a supercard lite so I'd prefer to stay with the supercard (just familar to me)

Than a G6? I had heard the opposite which is why I was thinking of getting one.

ne1

The Shadow said:
Than a G6? I had heard the opposite which is why I was thinking of getting one.

Yeah, that's the impression I've gotten too. Browse arnoud at for example gbatemp.net and I think you'll come to the same conclusion.
There were some reports of g6 lites crashing and wiping everything on them, but I've only heard of chinese ones doing so.
And when I ordered one the guy told me that the first [english] ones got recalled because of some error and I think that might related. (It hasn't arrived yet though so I don't have any impressions of it.)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
When it comes to running software of Slot1, we have two choices:

1) slot-1 sized cart with onboard flash memory (up to 4gbit. More than that would be too damn expensive)
2) slot-1 sized cart with onboard MicroSD adapter (up to 2 gigabyte, but then we have the problem that the memory cards are not fast enough to provide data to the DS, thus, roms need patching, homebrew needs to be tailored to the specific adapter, and so on, no different than slot-2 loading solutions with flash sticks interfaces).

choice number 1 is there for drag and drop. Get a rom (homebrew and.. yeah.. the other kind), drop on your disk drive U: or whatever, plug on the ds and play. No software involved, no flashing, no patching.
Choice number 2 is for more space hungry application (but cmon, even scummv works on 512mbyte), but needs more work into getting it to.. well.. work.

Though choice.

Top Bottom