• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of Orion (Wargaming.net/NGD) announced, first trailer

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOpsvRtmb-w

Polygon said:
Master of Orion, the classic turn-based strategy game series dormant since for more then a decade, is back with better graphics and refocused gameplay thanks to an injection of developers and money by World of Tanks publisher Wargaming.

Wargaming purchased the rights to the Master of Orion property in 2013 during an Atari bankruptcy auction. Today, the company announced its plans to reboot Master of Orion, developing the first game in the series since 2003's Master of Orion 3.

While Wargaming originally made a name for itself with the science fiction strategy game Massive Assault, the company decided to bring on Argentinian-based NGD Studios to create the reboot with the help of key members from the original game's team.

Players can expect a revamped user interface, an orchestral score from the original game's composer, voiceovers by well-known actors, new user tutorials, according to the announcement.

"Master of Orion is a game that brings Wargaming truly back to its roots, not only as a company but also in how it influenced my personal interest in both games and making them," said Victor Kislyi, CEO of Wargaming. "The series' iconic gameplay has stood the test of time and working with NGD Studios to bring the series back to life is a truly exciting moment for the team."

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/9/874...ot-coming-from-the-team-behind-world-of-tanks
As with previous games in the series, players will manage colonies and populations; choose how much to focus on research, production, resources, military power; and race to be the first to conquer the stars.

The game will still allow players to win through conquest, diplomacy, technology or economy, according to Wargaming, and players will still have to worry over their civilization's morale, pollution, taxes and defenses. Random events and anomalies will add variety to gameplay as well.

When it's finished, the game will include the series' original races: Alkari, Bulrathi, Darlok, Human, Klackon, Psilon, Meklar, Mrrshan, Sakkra and Silicoids. There will also be six different ship classes for each race and the ability to customize a ship's missiles, engines, armor, shields, scanners, bombs and lasers. The game will include more than 75 future technologies with hundreds of advancements.

moo_assets_announcemeo1pm5.jpg

moo_assets_announcemetmri7.jpg

moo_assets_announcemeo4o9q.jpg

moo_assets_announceme4mq1z.jpg

moo_assets_announcemedhpu1.png

Com_Raven

Awesome news! I spent a LOT of time with Master of Orion 2, trying to build my empire through diplomacy. Which, naturally, never really worked^^

Durante

What?
How?

What?

Wargaming purchased the rights to the Master of Orion property in 2013 during an Atari bankruptcy auction.
Ah.

I didn't remember that, and even if I didi I wouldn't have expected them to actually do something with it.

Wow where did this come from!? Huge surprise. Didn't Wargaming pick up Gas Powered Games awhile back? I wonder if they have anything to do with this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow where did this come from!? Huge surprise. Didn't Wargaming pick up Gas Powered Games awhile back? I wonder if they have anything to do with this.

This is made by NGD. GPG is presumably making Total Annihilation 2 as they also bought the rights to that.

Keasar

Neat!

I never played the original Master of Orion games but I read a lot about them, should perhaps give one of a games a shot someday when not busy with Galactic Civilizations III.

Also can't help but worry a little this is F2P because of the scary Wargaming logo. "Spend gold to pass the turn now or wait 5 hours." Doubt it will be though, just a kneejerk reaction.

Holy shit does this take me back to bunkering myself in my room for whole days playing this and the likes of X-Wing, Syndicate, and Doom. Fucking hell I'm old.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Neat!

I never played the original Master of Orion games but I read a lot about them, should perhaps give one of a games a shot someday when not busy with Galactic Civilizations III.

Also can't help but worry a little this is F2P because of the scary Wargaming logo. "Spend gold to pass the turn now or wait 5 hours." Doubt it will be though, just a kneejerk reaction.

That was my worry but it doesnt seem to be.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is a vanity project for a studio that used to make 4X games and is now mega rich so I wouldn't worry about the business model.

deleted

Nice!

I watched the teaser without sound and saw the pixelated ships and thought - that's actually not a bad style for a 4x game..

Turns out I was wrong, but now I also want to see a voxel based 4x game :p

CTLance

Am I greedy by pointing out that this new title breaks with the legacy naming scheme of animal noise acronyms?

MoO -> MoO:BaA -> MoO:CotS

Shut up, there was no third game. ... OK, there was, but it doesn't fit the narrative and tanked, so fuck that noise.

Steph'nie

Neo Member
Ah, I knew this was coming: one of the Wargaming community managers started following lots of people who worked on strategy games about two weeks ago and it reminded me that they had bought the MoO IP a few years ago.

It's pretty exciting actually!

Carcetti

Amazing! The genre pretty much peaked with MoO 2 as every would-be successor manages to somehow mess up at least one part of the formula.

Oxirane

Although I don't have much interest in MoO, this is getting me quite excited for any Total Annihilation news in the future.

I'm not sure how they'll go about it, but hopefully Wargaming keeps the monetisation scheme reasonably, especially as these games have relatively small (and dedicated) fanbases.

Xater

This is a vanity project for a studio that used to make 4X games and is now mega rich so I wouldn't worry about the business model.

Exactly what I thought. They are rolling in money and probably just wanted to do something they loved in the past.

"How rich is mega rich?"

World of Tanks is fucking huge money.

"Wait, like World of Tanks Wargaming?"

As mentioned above, before World of Tanks they were making lots of low budget 4x games. Now they can make higher budget 4x games.

Moff

I don't know what 4x games are, but I love that some studios got mega rich with them so they can now reboot classic franchises like MoO as vanity projects

Both this and XCOM 2 would have been great reveals for the PC gaming conference. I guess no one is expecting anyone to care about that thing.

CTLance

I somehow feel like I helped make this happen by succumbing to my urges and buying my way into the World of Warships closed beta with the highest-tier ship pack.

Yes. *twitch* That's the ticket. I can legitimise any further spending on wargaming games like that. Kind of like a fucked up crowd funding thing. I will make wargaming even richer so they can pour even more money into the new MoO. The plan is foolproof! Make way, I need to buy ships and tanks and someone help me I'm overdosing on MoO nostalgia

I've bought an awful lot of Space 4x's, Star Trek, Sword of Stars, Galactic CIV II, Space Empires etc... and non of them have reached the perfection of MOO2.

Please don't screw this up!

Edit: They need to hire a new voice over guy though.

Top Bottom