• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of Orion (Wargaming.net/NGD) announced, first trailer

Sijil

Holy shit! I am no fan of WoT but sure glad they are using that money for MoO, hopefully it would suck less, by a large margin than MoO 3.

Now to wait for Total Annihilation 2 by Chris Taylor.

Must get GalCiv 3 in the mean time.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Oh my!
Me and my friends spend endless hours hot seating MoO 1+2... I hope this will be good :)

Ever since the collapse following MoO3, I did not believe this day would ever come. This is amazing news so long as it turns out even halfway decent.

pxEuPAn.gif

That was my exact reaction! Master of Orion, Master of Fucking Orion is coming back! I can't believe it!

duckroll

I dunno if this will be any good, but it sure looks like they're taking the franchise seriously, which is a good sign. We need more scifi strategy games anyway...

FoxSpirit

Oh my, Master of Orion? I sunk uncounted hours into part 2. It's one of my favourite times of the forever and was just perfection.
Okay, democratic victory meant getting so powerful I could simply vote myself into the presidential seat but otherwise... perfect :p

CTLance

All you ignorant youngsters who haven't played the previous games yet, head on over to gog and buy the shit out of their MoO pack with the first two games. Costs six bucks (possibly less during the sale that has been going on at gog) and will keep you entertained for a long time. There is no excuse.

Then after that get in on GalCiv if you haven't. Not quite the same, but very close.

Tu101uk

Absolutely pumped for this. MoO is one of my all-time favourite games, and I can't believe we're getting another entry after the abysmal third game. Hopefully, with some of the original staffers and a bit of polish and dosh, the reboot will be just as engrossing as the original DOS games.

I also recommend Endless Space for those who are itching for a modern take on MoO's brand of Space 4x.

alstein

"No idea what this ia or if i should be excited or not"

Revival of a classic 4x strategy game series.

Is this a revival or a remake?

Revival holds some interest, remake not so much. A lot of the old strategy games haven't aged well at all.

In regards to this being a vanity project- the best two 4X games right now (IMO of course) both are partially vanity projects: Age of Wonders 3 was funded heavily by Notch, and I can say that Brad Wardell truly does make his 4X games because he wants to make 4X games- Stardock's main business is application software,

CTLance

It's a fucking Master of Orion sequel/reboot/whatever we're talking about here! People should be dancing in the streets and getting banned for posting inappropriate pics! There should be server outages and explosions and orgies and bishoptl sightings and ... we're still on page one.

Gamers nowadays. Bah. Bah.

Romir

I remember picking up MoO from the $5? bargain bin at KBToys back in the day.

I'm so excited for this despite MoO3 forever being my greatest day one disappointment of all time.

They wouldn't dare. The backlash would be insane.

As for the mod orgies- I think that would require a Kohan revival.

I would imagine less than backlash and more of a total lack of people playing it. The old strategy grognards just aren't going to take the bait a in f2p experience in a single player turn based strategy game.

Well there is a "Pre-order" section on the game's website so I'm assuming it'll be a retail release...

...It does worry me that you need to log in to a Wargaming.net account to preorder though. I sure hope you don't need to be always online for this game.

Log in in an account to preorder a product in the Internet isn't exactly strange...

dr_rus

Nah, they'll fuck it up somehow. It's incredible how hard it turned out to just replicate MoO with better graphics and disallow yourself to "improve" anything in the gameplay.

Charlatan

Neo Member
Aside from the name, which obviously stirs a lot of peoples' loins, what will this MoO have that any of the 3 million 4x space games out there don't? It's not as though the genre has stood still or been neglected since then.

So while it's a nice trip down nostalgia lane, I'll just sit and see how the game turns out before getting worked up about it.

Nah, they'll fuck it up somehow. It's incredible how hard it turned out to just replicate MoO with better graphics and disallow yourself to "improve" anything in the gameplay.

Most likely by making it over complicated and full of micro management.

Thw secret to MoO, MoO2 and MoM is that they are actually very simple games with clean basic interfaces and many tedious elements that are now standard in strategy games are neatly dealt with "off camera" or thrown out entirely. MoO in particular is amazingly lean in design, and anything you cpuld possibly do in the game is never more than one screen/click away.

I'm gonna pick the Psilons.

And then I'm gonna get the stellar converter.

Shortly following that will be the most enjoyable mopping up in video games.

Slayven

Good MoO was one of my first computer games. Loved sending spies to other empires to spread discord before I invaded

Jarlaxle

Master of Orion II stands up there with Heroes III as my favorite turn based strategy games of all time.

I'm excited and a little hesitant to see how this turns out.

epmode

Wait, what?

!

Maybe it'll even be good!

In related news, let's talk about how MOO1 is better than MOO2.

KR_remix

Some straight up necromancy going on recently.

This is awesome. I'll have to keep my expectations in check, but I am definitely excited to hear more about this.

Sulik2

Fantastic, just don't fall into the ship design trap that every game after MoO has fallen into. Keep ships simple and easy to slap together, instant refits if you upgrade.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Also can't help but worry a little this is F2P because of the scary Wargaming logo. "Spend gold to pass the turn now or wait 5 hours." Doubt it will be though, just a kneejerk reaction.

You should probably educate yourself about modern F2P business models, in particular Wargaming's. World of Tanks is probably one of the best values in gaming if you like the core game.

They've been making good money off of their F2P titles, and now they're spending significant portions of it on revitalizing some otherwise dead franchises. Seems like something people should like them for, not fear.

People afraid of F2P might want to stop painting with such a broad brush when lumping every game into the same group as shit like Dungeon Keeper Online, you're missing out on some great games.

Falk

that puzzling face
You should probably educate yourself about modern F2P business models, in particular Wargaming's. World of Tanks is probably one of the best values in gaming if you like the core game.

They've been making good money off of their F2P titles, and now they're spending significant portions of it on revitalizing some otherwise dead franchises. Seems like something people should like them for, not fear.

People afraid of F2P might want to stop painting with such a broad brush when lumping every game into the same group as shit like Dungeon Keeper Online, you're missing out on some great games.

The flip side is, there's absolutely no reason for MoO to be F2P. Like, literally zero. Everyone enjoyed it as a single player game back then, and everyone would want to enjoy it as a single player game now. The best games were the ones which stretched across multiple afternoons, something that's not particularly conducive to shoehorned multiplayer modes, outside of a dedicated few who would be willing to make it work, not something that exactly makes bank.

Couple that with some somewhat decent alternatives nowadays (GalCiv, Endless Space, etc. their own respective faults taken into consideration) fans of the original two games simply aren't going to jump ship to a newfangled model.

An F2P 4x might be succesful, but it won't scratch nearly the same itch, nor cater to largely the same crowd.

Top Bottom