• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of Orion (Wargaming.net/NGD) announced, first trailer

dr_rus

Most likely by making it over complicated and full of micro management.

Thw secret to MoO, MoO2 and MoM is that they are actually very simple games with clean basic interfaces and many tedious elements that are now standard in strategy games are neatly dealt with "off camera" or thrown out entirely. MoO in particular is amazingly lean in design, and anything you cpuld possibly do in the game is never more than one screen/click away.

Yep. That's why most of 4X games which were touted like MoO successors and such fall short - they've added complex micromanagement which was actually very dull and made them worse. I kinda think that MoO2 was worse than MoO1 for that same reason.

SuomiDude

I really enjoyed playing Master of Orion 2 with my siblings, one turn taking like 10 minutes in some cases, so the games went lasting for days. Not sure if I ever get that feeling back, but I'm slightly interested in this new game.

Falk

that puzzling face
A star doesn't necessarily have a solar system.

Well, it would, since the start itself is part of the solar system, but I assume they mean not all stars have planets.

No, I meant, are they going with prefab systems as opposed to procedurally generated?

It was basically phrased really oddly.

I always preferred the simple slider micromanagement of MoO vs. the additional planetary layer of the sequel (which carried over into GalCiv). I'm tenatively excited for the game as the original MoO is one of my favorite games ever, but I hope they will take some lessons from the later Civ games and realize that having tools to end games - sometimes even quickly- is something that 4x games need. Too many space 4x games have endgame mop-up that takes FOREVER compared to what it should require.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So should I skip this one and wait for MoO2?

In all seriousness this is amazing news! MoO is a great series and I would love to see more companies put out good 4X games. God knows Firaxis & co. could use some competition.

pastrami

Cautiously excited about this one. I just hope they don't add needlessly complicated layers of micromanagement to the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Reminds me of this

Spyro_2_Season_of_Flame_box_art.JPG

Spyro_Season_of_Ice.jpg

Yeah, for sure.

WolfStark

Master of Orion 2 is still the 4X-King for me. It is simplistic, without lacking depth and has a unique design, that isn't stylized and cold like most of the others. The mix was absolutly perfect and no other game ever managed to hook me like MoO2 did, especially because they didn't looked as good. I.e. food wasn't just a green symbol, neither in the colonization screen nor the main screen, galaxy map looked awesome, the diplomacy had this gigantic golden room with the moving rings for the hologram, even the text color was fitting, it really had a warm feeling to it, creating a great atmosphere.

The new screens are okay, the races look good but they could look better with better textures. I think it would have been more cool with Patrick Stewart as leader of mankind.
The only real downer at the moment: None of the new races from Master of Orion 2. And I have to say, I won't play a Master of Orion that doesn't have Elerians. It's like Mass Effect without Asari.

4Tran

This is great! Master of Orion is the 4X game that I've played the most of. It had so many viable ways of playing and so many cool features, that I think I finished at least one campaign with every race. MOO2 was pretty cool as well, but it didn't feel as streamlined, and I never got as far into it. I'd love to see this new game boil the series down to the basics again (and to bring back the 10,000 ship stacks).

Stardock is already on it.
It probably won't be the same without Reiche and Ford, but there's not much that can be done about that.

I want to echo the sentiments of MOO being more elegantly designed than MOO2.
It really is amazing.

I think I'm going to set my expectations for this to be: "better than MOO3 but not as good as MOO2"
Because I think we can all safely hope for that at least.

5taquitos

I'm not holding out any hope that this will be good. The developer isn't exactly the cream of the crop, and what's been shown so far isn't promising.

The fact that wargaming.net own Total Annihilation is worrying me

I'm hyped. I spent countless hours of MOO2.

But I'm also wary of it. I was hyped for Sword of the Stars II and MOO3, and both turned into unplayable messes.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This is a proper game? Not some F2P pap?

Wow. I knew they had the MoO license, but I was not expecting a proper game out of it. MoO 2 is my GOAT 4X game so hopefully they don't screw this up.

Steel

Banned
Wow last couple of years has been the golden age of 4xs. I'm still kneedeep in Galactic civilizations 3. I can't handle this, dammit.

I was in college when M003 was being developed. It was one of the first games I really followed while being developed. The dev team was great in terms of updates but the game was soooo bad.

alstein

This is great! Master of Orion is the 4X game that I've played the most of. It had so many viable ways of playing and so many cool features, that I think I finished at least one campaign with every race. MOO2 was pretty cool as well, but it didn't feel as streamlined, and I never got as far into it. I'd love to see this new game boil the series down to the basics again (and to bring back the 10,000 ship stacks).

It probably won't be the same without Reiche and Ford, but there's not much that can be done about that.

Sorcerer King shows Stardock has good potential to do this sort of game well.

Star Control is so old it wouldn't be the same thing even with Reiche and Ford. More of the same thing would be a dissapointment anyway, engineering and design have come a long way in the nearly 25 years since Star Control came out.

Anjin M

I'm starting to process this news now. Like several others stated, I loved the simplicity of MoO1. I will be interested to see how this turns out.

Gr8one

moo is one of my favorite games all time so I am pretty hyyped. I have been playing a bit of galciv3, and while it's good, it is missing something for me. I hope they are able to recreate the greatness of the first game, its a series that deserves to be successful. Wargaming please don't let me down.

Also moo > moo2

I wonder if it'll be more like MoO or MoO2. I loved the first one (and still do). The second one was a downgrade, IMO. Complete openness of the first one vs "space lanes" of the second one. The AI of MoO has not been matched yet in many respects, all these years later.

Steel

Banned
Star Control is so old it wouldn't be the same thing even with Reiche and Ford. More of the same thing would be a dissapointment anyway, engineering and design have come a long way in the nearly 25 years since Star Control came out.

Yeah, so long as they keep the core concept the same, I really don't care where they take it.

zeorhymer

Oh my. My nostalgia radar just exploded and took over my brain. But that nagging fear about remakes is lurking around waiting to shatter my reality.

Kasper

Lots of respect to Wargaming for actually making this, remembering their roots even when it's clearly not going to be the money maker that World of Tanks is.

Top Bottom