• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This "Bethesda.net" thing feels bad

Salsa

did we talk about this yet?

2sSC7qC.png

I guess jury is still out, but I don't think it's a stretch to see it as Bethesda's own DRM-ish response to something like Uplay and no sir I don't like it

they have a really strong partnership with Steam too, which makes this even weirder. wonder how shit went after the paid-mod debacle.

considering they went out of their way to defend stuff like their mobile app saying it's not like other "stupid gimmick" out there im really surprised they didnt give more reassuring info on this immediatly

i'd chalk it up to some miiverse-like thing where people just post artwork or whatever but they actually said it'll be a "platform" with Snapmap

Lunar15

A lot of the conference seemed built around having that paid mods thing in place before this stuff was announced.

I didn't sound like DRM to me at all. I can't see Bethesda not using Steamworks in the near future, the two are so tied together

Syf

Banned
They weren't really clear on what exactly it's going to be. I mean are they working towards a full separate launcher for their games like battle.net?

Zoned

Actively hates charity
If every publisher starts this shit then I might have to think about PC as my major gaming platform.

joezombie

It'd be nice if all the big publishers came together and formed a consortium steam clone so we could at least cut down on the number of clients/accounts

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
A lot of the conference seemed built around having that paid mods thing in place before this stuff was announced.

Lol yeeeep.

Not all of it, but there were definitely points where it felt like they 'could have' inserted something about that in there.

If every publisher starts this shit then I might have to think about PC as my major gaming platform.

Seriously. I know this may seem like a non-issue to other people but it bothers me humongously. I don't want another client, just Steam and all the features, social hub, and Big Picture Mode integration that comes with it.

Urg, no more accounts plz.

Yes. Less accounts. LESS ACCOUNTS. If it could be done with a google account - Origin, Battle.net, Uplay, Rockstar this... all the MMOs. All the things. I would just merge it with a google account. It would be so much easier.

People are like; "it takes a few seconds".

YEAH, BUT I GOT HUNDREDS. I got hundreds of accounts. I can't remember the passwords to most of them. accounts that go back 10-15+ years back. frack man.:(

Was just thinking the same thing. Right now I've got:
Steam
GOG Galaxy
Blizzard
Whatever Star Citizen is
UPlay (barf)
Origin

This is way more than I want to deal with already.

Tenebrous

Do Bethesda even have the games to justify their own client? Battle.net works because everything Blizzard does is online focused, but Bethesda don't have that.

Exuro

I'd feel better if these services used your Steam log-in (ala log-in with facebook) to ease the pain of signing up, remembering your log in info and not having to manually sign in.

They'll want their own payment platform for Hearthstone transactions.

It'll be the same as battle.net.

Do Bethesda even have the games to justify their own client? Battle.net works because everything Blizzard does is online focused, but Bethesda don't have that.

Put 2 and 2 together and guess where they are going.

Ploid 3.0

Bring it on I say. I have a PC and a app that stores all of my passwords behind a file key. I also have a backup so I'll never forget passwords and I feel more secure that way. The apps like Origin, Battle.net, and so on don't seem to take up much memory, though steam seem to run like crap at times.

Being able to not be stuck with one app is a bonus to PC I think. Freedom.

Edit: Why would they need to pay Steam 30% when people will know to get Bethesda games from Bethesda.net. They are big enough to not need steam marketing, or presence.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Steam
GOG Galaxy
Blizzard
Whatever Star Citizen is
UPlay (barf)
Origin

Yep. Now imagine WB launching WB.net and Square Enix SE hub, and then you'll end up with a clusterfuck of redundant clients that no one is interested in using. These greedy ass publishers will go to any extent to create a problem just so they can get that sweet Valve's cut. No one asked for this shit, they should focus on games.

Zomba13

Yep. Now imagine WB launching WB.net and Square Enix SE hub, and then you'll end up with a clusterfuck of redundant clients that no one is interested in using. These greedy ass publishers will go to any extent to create a problem just so they can get that sweet Valve's cut. No one asked for this shit, they should focus on games.

"Oh but this is totally for the players you guys! This is good for you! It's not like we want that bigger cut or anything. We just have to take that if you want you guys to get good experiences!"

This makes me even angrier thinking about it. I know SE is gonna be a dick about it when Rise of the Tomb Raider comes out too.

All this fragmentation is going to kill the PC. (OK, maybe that's a ton of hyperbole, but it is in no way helpful.)

Armaros

But they would love to keep Steam's huge userbase, they just dont want pay up.

Very worrying. When you google for news about, most seem to imply that this is what will be used for Fallout mods. Would be weird considering how well Steam workshop has served them, but nothing with large publishers would suprise me.

I have Origin and Uplay accounts, but both of them has lead me to buying fewer EA/Ubisoft titles.

Can't wait for the experience of buying Fallout 4 through Steam, having to register and login through Bethesda.net, and then having Windows 10 pestering me about XBOX Live functionality.

down 2 orth

Just ask yourself why they take all the time, money, and resources to make a free companion ap to Fallout 4. Is it going to improve sales of the game? Nope. It's so they can data mine the shit out of their cutomers from their mobile devices and do what they want with people's personal information. That's where the profit incentive comes from.

So I think you're in the right to distrust how they will handle their DRM "service".

Its like being upset coca cola run coke machines, because you love to buy coke at wal-mart.
Publishers can make other sources of revenue and co-exist, at worse the retail games will be Bethesda.net cd key exclusive.

Steam
GOG Galaxy
Blizzard
Whatever Star Citizen is
UPlay (barf)
Origin

Yeah, Steam is obviously the main attraction, with GoG being a cool competitor to steam for indie and older titles. Battle.net is fair enough since blizzard has been doing their thing for decades now. Uplay or origin and whatever follows has me almost entirely cutting off those publishers.

Its like being upset coca cola run coke machines, because you love to buy coke at wal-mart.
Publishers can make other sources of revenue and co-exist, at worse the retail games will be Bethesda.net cd key exclusive.

And include another launcher that causes issues for people, and makes the games fail to make use of steam's comprehensive feature set.

Top Bottom