• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This "Bethesda.net" thing feels bad

Nope. Do not want this. I don't need yet another login or account for the handful of Bethesda games I might play. Especially if its just Bethesda's roundabout way to do paid mods since Steam backed off that at least for now.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Its like being upset coca cola run coke machines, because you love to buy coke at wal-mart.
Publishers can make other sources of revenue and co-exist, at worse the retail games will be Bethesda.net cd key exclusive.
Yeah like EA selling games on Steam...oh wait. Also your analogy fails because coke machines work fine. But clients like uPlay are crap.
I would eat pizza hut pizza two days in a row than using uPlay for MP. That thing is a torture.

Just ask yourself why they take all the time, money, and resources to make a free companion ap to Fallout 4. Is it going to improve sales of the game? Nope. It's so they can data mine the shit out of their cutomers from their mobile devices and do what they want with people's personal information. That's where the profit incentive comes from.

So I think you're in the right to distrust how they will handle their DRM "service".

Oh goddammit, it's 1am, I'm tired, and I didn't even think of that. Was waiting for Android but not even gonna install now.

I could definitely see Bethesda using this new platform as their jumping off point to creating another Origin/UPlay platform.

Tie paid mods to this service, and do it under the guise that they will be able to "add more value" to the paid mod selection process than what they could through Steam. Also since Steam wouldn't get a cut, they tout that creators would get more cash for their mods (even though they'll probably take a larger cut not having Steam in the loop).

Just ask yourself why they take all the time, money, and resources to make a free companion ap to Fallout 4. Is it going to improve sales of the game? Nope. It's so they can data mine the shit out of their cutomers from their mobile devices and do what they want with people's personal information. That's where the profit incentive comes from.

So I think you're in the right to distrust how they will handle their DRM "service".
What will they data mine? I don't think apps have any access to any information outside of the app itself.

Battle.net and Steam are all I'm willing to tolerate at this point. Origin I don't ever use because EA doesn't use Steam as a trojan for Origin enabled games. uPlay I infrequently use when I play a recent Ubisoft game I've purchased through Steam. Same goes with Rockstar Social Club. The Warner Bros thing I've avoided because it's optional.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
To me it feels like Bethesda is trying to be more like Blizzard than EA or Ubisoft. They are gonna tie paid mods in this service. Must have come up with this idea after Skyrim debacle.

LiK

looks more like a community hub and where they release stuff for the games there. i don't think it's a storefront or anything like that.

Grief.exe

I doubt it's DRM, more like Rockstar Social Club.

That's technically DRM on the PC side.

Battle.net and Steam are all I'm willing to tolerate at this point. Origin I don't ever use because EA doesn't use Steam as a trojan for Origin enabled games. uPlay I infrequently use when I play a recent Ubisoft game I've purchased through Steam. Same goes with Rockstar Social Club. The Warner Bros thing I've avoided because it's optional.

I've mostly checked out of EA and Ubisoft anyways, so Origin and Uplay don't even bother me in the slightest.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
looks more like a community hub and where they release stuff for the games there. i don't think it's a storefront or anything like that.
Eventually it's going to be one, like uPlay. And then a full fledged game service client, at least that's what I feel.

down 2 orth

What will they data mine? I don't think apps have any access to any information outside of the app itself.

I'm no expert, but from what I've read they can take your name, location, buying habits, and potentially voice and video, amongst other info, and use that information for their own marketing research (appropriate imo), sell it to other companies (inappropriate), or sell it to your government (just look up PRISM and wonder why people distrusted Microsoft with the Xbox reveal).

With a company there is always a profit motive, so if you are getting software for free, it's probably because the company is using the above method to monetize their product.

Wiktor

I don't mind if even every single game has it's own client, so this doesn't really bother me. What I'm worried about is that this looks like mod platform and I hope that Bethesda won't make it the sole place for mods for their games, killing Nexus and similiar sites.

I'm no expert, but from what I've read they can take your name, location, buying habits, and potentially voice and video, amongst other info, and use that information for their own marketing research (appropriate imo), sell it to other companies (inappropriate), or sell it to your government (just look up PRISM and wonder why people distrusted Microsoft with the Xbox reveal).

With a company there is always a profit motive, so if you are getting software for free, it's probably because the company is using the above method to monetize their product.
This is incorrect for the current platform it's released on. It can't do any of that unless it's in the app. So other then Bethesda theoretically wanting to know how awful I'm at making 2 virtual people have a virtual baby, they're not mining shit.

This is marketing, and maybe a small bit of flow from the random rare item in-app purchase.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Hopefully it's impact on Fallout 4 is minimum, so that I choose to just not care about future Bethesda titles.
Yeah I hope so. Although I remember EA pulling this shit with their biggest release of the year, BF3 exclusively on Origin.

Part of me thinks this is just Bethesda wanting a system to try and lure the crowd from the Nexus modding sites. But this is just wishful thinking...

ducksauce

At this point I just hope Valve works with these publishers to make sure their piece of shit launchers work as seamlessly as possible with Steam. They aren't going anywhere, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Activision and WB didn't hopped on the bandwagon.

Also, as someone who plays most games in Big Picture Mode, these things are the bane of my pc gaming experience.

down 2 orth

This is incorrect for the current platform it's released on. It can't do any of that unless it's in the app. So other then Bethesda theoretically wanting to know how awful I'm at making 2 virtual people have a virtual baby, they're not mining shit.

This is marketing, and maybe a small bit of flow from the random rare item in-app purchase.

This information is buried in nearly every Terms of Service agreement. It's boring as hell to read through, but you can find it yourself if you want to. What the app does eventually take from you is anyone's guess, but I would think the main purpose is for Bethesda to combine the information from your gaming account with that of your mobile account, of which it will sell to other companies.

borborygmus

Bethesda seems like the most "clueless business exec" driven company these days. Even EA and Activision feel like they're less out of touch and more creative than Bethesda.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
This all reeks of "WE BLIZZARD NAO!"

The thing is, Warcraft\Starcraft\diablo have characters, and archetypes. ES and Fallout.. Don't.

You guys are absolutely, 100 percent bat shit crazy if you think publishers the size of Bethesda are just gonna keep riding the Steam train into the digital future instead of starting something they can control and not have to give money to Valve for. This "feels bad" only insofar that it was inevitable.

TheYanger

Maybe it makes me seem like too much of a fanboy, but it seems odd still from almost any other developer. Bethesda just doesn't have a connectedness with their products to where I'd feel compe;lled like I do with Blizzard products. Blizzard has always been very cohesive even long before any of this shit, the company has grown but it's still very much got the same group of people making all of these games feel that it always did, I don't feel that there's a whole lot of interaction between say, the Doom guys and the Elder Scrolls Online folks. No moreso than I do between Madden and Mirror's Edge, the branding isn't there and more importantly the products don't feel related at all.

Especially anyone that hasn't been a PC gamer for a long time I'm not sure how I could explain it to, but even super disparate products from Blizzard have always maintained that feel to where you knew it was them. I just don't think there are many other companies in that esteemed kind of position (Valve would be one, Nintendo would be one if they made PC games/needed an ecosystem in that way).

Grief.exe

Bethesda seems like the most "clueless business exec" driven company these days. Even EA and Activision feel like they're less out of touch and more creative than Bethesda.

Their controlling body, Zenimax, is literally just a coven of lawyers. That is why many of their moves come off as so scummy, Arkane/Human Head/iD buyouts for example

Savitar

I swear if they go paid mods.

I'm out.

As it is another damn password and what not for a site is getting tired.

You guys are absolutely, 100 percent bat shit crazy if you think publishers the size of Bethesda are just gonna keep riding the Steam train into the digital future instead of starting something they can control and not have to give money to Valve for. This "feels bad" only insofar that it was inevitable.

Of course they will do so. I just want my Fallout 4 before that, so that I can opt out and play mid tier games after that.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't think Bethesda has enough popular multiplayer stuff or frequent enough releases to really gain get this going. Of course they could always increase output a lot. Of all the companies that have their own services, only Uplay is similar in that it doesn't have really big multiplayer franchises, but they also put out a lot of games.

But really, given how soon this is after the paid mod fiasco, I can't imagine they threw together a Uplay type spinoff in such a short amount of time given the paid mods thing had to have been a decent internal commitment and plan.

I don't think Bethesda has enough popular multiplayer stuff or frequent enough releases to really gain get this going. Of course they could always increase output a lot.

But really, given how soon this is after the paid mod fiasco, I can't imagine they threw together a Uplay type spinoff in such a short amount of time given the paid mods thing had to have been a decent internal commitment and plan.
This thing is supposed to launch with Doom. Doom is supposed to launch in Spring 2015.

They may have nothing at this point and the announcement would not be false.

Corpekata

Banned
This thing is supposed to launch with Doom. Doom is supposed to launch in Spring 2015.

They may have nothing at this point and the announcement would not be false.

If they were going to push it as a client, they'd had it ready by Fallout 4. What do they have after Doom 4? Dishonored, Battlecry (which is looking like their next Brinkish flop) eventually their next big RPG that's going to be a long while away.

Fallout 4 would have been the game to push people toward a platform.

Odrion

Banned
I wish Valve would sack up and change their policy with publishers - No more DRM competitors trojaned into Steam products. Or even "You either stick with Steam, or you gtfo."

Bring it on I say. I have a PC and a app that stores all of my passwords behind a file key. I also have a backup so I'll never forget passwords and I feel more secure that way. The apps like Origin, Battle.net, and so on don't seem to take up much memory, though steam seem to run like crap at times.

Being able to not be stuck with one app is a bonus to PC I think. Freedom.

Edit: Why would they need to pay Steam 30% when people will know to get Bethesda games from Bethesda.net. They are big enough to not need steam marketing, or presence.

Yeah bring it ! That sure will be good when you'll need one account per games you wish to play in the long run.

Why would they need to pay 30% ? Because thats where the userbase is.

Jesus Christ, Bethesda. Just pay the tithe, shut the fuck up, and smile. With each new client, we lose the two things that Steam gave to make PC the best experience: convenience and pricing.

Sijil

I think people are loosing their cool prematurely, this could just be a benign launcher with an integrated mod manager for all Beth games similar to the Total War manager.

Top Bottom