• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Gameplay Demo (E3 2015), out November 10th

RagnarokX

Forgot to put quotes around gameplay.

If that demo is anything to go by they haven't learned anything. It was the exact same psuedo-gameplay set pieces from the last game but with snow.

The trailer after looked like some more promising parts are later on. Gonna have to see if those pan out, but this demo didn't leave me hopeful.

Ugh. Gameplay was shallow as hell. Shit crumbling as you make your way through a linear path that requires zero skill... But then again, it's an E3 demo so we'll be getting a lot of that kind of thing. Great atmosphere though, and cool to see Jonah back.

Harlequin

The demo was awful. Just over-scripted cinematic action set-pieces. The montage at the end looked kinda cool but I remain highly sceptical. It''ll probably be just as bad as the 2013 game.

air-quotes.gif

"gameplay"

Could seriously be a Quantic Dream game for the level of interactivity they showed. Wait for cutscene to end, push analogue stick for a bit, more cutscene, QTE.

Man

Very, very yawn inducing.
At least Rare followed adding some excitement again with Sea of Thieves.

Mr-Joker

Banned
To paraphase what I said to my little brother.

"Are you sure that they said Gameplay footage and not cinematic footage?"

I'm not sure how much epic cinematic scenes I can handle, I wasn't too keen on the first game and this looks like it doubled down on all that shit

Fury451

Banned
I'm kind of surprised by this. I actually love the last game despite criticisms, but seeing so much of the weaker parts of that game here again doesn't really get me all that excited about it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm not sure how much epic cinematic scenes I can handle, I wasn't too keen on the first game and this looks like it doubled down on all that shit
This demo doesn't say aynthing. We had the same concerns back when the last one was announced. Have you guys not learned? You can't demo a game with open open world exploration on an E³ stage...

This demo doesn't say aynthing. We had the same concerns back when the last one was announced. Have you guys not learned? You can't demo a game with open open world exploration on an E³ stage...

Really because it said to me "this game is more of the same thing you didn't like before"

Calling Tomb Raider 2013 "open world exploration" is a stretch

Jobbs

Banned
Graphics look nice, but holy shit was this a bad demo. I like that he held the controller like he was playing, too.

It was all the of most boring parts of tomb raider 2013 edited together into a video, with none of the good parts shown.

LuuKyK

What an incredibly dull demo to play live.

That trailer though, jesus, made me even more excited. Thanks MS for making me have to wait six months more. :(

Parshias7

Seems like the exact same thing they pulled with the first Tomb Raider. Print a bunch of magazine interviews stressing the game will be about survival and exploration, but then the actual game? Hold forward and push jump as everything crumbles around you. Lara has a real bad case of Nathan Drake's disease, the condition that causes everything you touch to fall apart moments after you jump off of it.

CHC

Total snoozefest. Also not helped by the immediately unlikable generic side-guy and completely over-serious tone of the whole affair.

No fun allowed! This is a SERIOUS game.

RagnarokX

We had the same concerns with the last game... and those concerns turned out to be very warranted. Tomb Raider is a platforming/puzzle/adventure series. Show some gameplay of Lara doing some real platforming or solving a puzzle. Show that that exists in this game and that they're not repeating their mistakes.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
We had the same concerns with the last game... and those concerns turned out to be very warranted. Tomb Raider is a platforming/puzzle/adventure series. Show some gameplay of Lara doing some real platforming or solving a puzzle. Show that that exists in this game and that they're not repeating their mistakes.
No Ragnarok, I'm not doing this again with you.

giphy.gif

Ninjimbo

It looked awesome to me. The camerawork is glorious on those scripted sequences. The montage at the end tells me the game is going to have more environments too. And there's swimming! I'm hyped. We'll probably have more impressions from previews to see what kind of structure the game is going to have. I hope those tombs are long stretches of isolation and puzzle solving. That would be perfect.

BadWolf

This is the first major gameplay reveal for the game right?

Compare that to Uncharted 4's gameplay reveal at PSX.

Them priorities.

Top Bottom