• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Gameplay Demo (E3 2015), out November 10th

Ninjimbo

I don't trust any of this "looks like"-reasoning. That's exactly the kind of stuff I used to tell myself before the first reboot game's release and none of it turned out to be true. You can even find my posts on here where I was defending the game before its release, saying shit like "of course it's gonna have big story tombs in it with exploration and puzzles, they'll probably have a whole, huge hub that's just a tomb". Yeah... right.
If it's a straight up action game with improved combat, I'm fine with that too. The combat was one of that game's strengths and I enjoy a well-made shooter. Of course, the potential is there for the game to be more than just a shooter so I'm hoping they deliver on that more than anything else.

Your reaction is legit. I won't argue against it. But for me, it's not like I'm expecting something like Anniversary where the game is tilted like 90% in favor of puzzle solving and platforming. I think CD is done making that kind of game.

Sblargh

Banned
I really enjoyed the first one for what it was: whatever-the-genre-Uncharted-is and I have no problems with the second one keeping on the fundamentals.

The gameplay section looked like the beggining tutorial-like where the player is learning how to climb, run, jump, press the X button when the X-Men logo appears on the screen.

Montage at the end gives great hope of neat set-pieces and decent character development, which are the marks of a good whatever-the-genre-Uncharted-is game.

lrt75914

2621402-3321164696-Buc6B.jpg

giphy.gif

Harlequin

I'd be very surprised if we don't see a big action set peice stuff from uncharted 4 today

I said "have at least started to move on", not "have completely abandoned" ;). And when you compare Uncharted 2 and 3 to The Last of Us, Naughty Dog have definitely started to move on from it. I do expect there to be a few more of those set peices in Uncharted 4 but I'd be very surprised if it'll be anywhere near the amount that was in either 2 or 3.

RagnarokX

What do you want to see? They said that everything you want is coming back one way or the other. Naturally that doesn't mean they will abandon the stuff that made the last Tomb Raider popular (yes, I liked the action set pieces). This is an E³ presser demo. They cannot do anything else. Just look at all the other demos. It's always the same scripted scenes because there is no time for anything else.

They said what we want was coming in the first game. Their word is meaningless. Show it if it exists. They could have spent the same amount of time showing Lara running around an ancient ruin or environment doing some real challenging non-scripted non-cinematic platforming and solving some basic puzzles to move through the environment. I WANT them to prove my fears wrong. I WANT a good game.

Harlequin

If it's a straight up action game with improved combat, I'm fine with that too. The combat was one of that game's strengths and I enjoy a well-made shooter. Of course, the potential is there for the game to be more than just a shooter so I'm hoping they deliver on that more than anything else.

Your reaction is legit. I won't argue against it. But for me, it's not like I'm expecting something like Anniversary where the game is tilted like 90% in favor of puzzle solving and platforming. I think CD is done making that kind of game.

Ew, don't get me started on Anniversary LOL. I want something with challenging platforming that I actually have control over (like in Core Design's Tomb Raider games or Mirror's Edge). Not over-automated ledge-hopping. Haha, all I seem to be doing in this thread is complain but I can't help it. Crystal have simply not developed one proper Tomb Raider game IMO.

thelastword

Banned
Nice ice and snow, they really don't give a flip about Tenzin though. Lara could have killed both herself and the poor guy a million times over. Dropping down from the top of the mountain like this whilst Tenzin supports all of that weight and impact. Funny, Lara climbed back to the top and escaped a huge avalanche and eclipsing mountain, leaving Tenzin buried underneath (the guy just saved you Lara). All she did.... was say "see ya". I'm sure Tenzin will survive and save her again though.

I just felt that they could have made it a bit more realistic, the way Lara hit her waist after that first fall, I swore it was broken...Nope...she's ready to jump unto the next ice slide...Come on devs, that does look a bit jarring,even though it's a video game.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Poor demo. Trailer that followed had some interesting tibits. Hopefully this game is not rushed.

Guess we'll have to wait for more footage. Hard to be hyped.

I said "have at least started to move on", not "have completely abandoned" ;). And when you compare Uncharted 2 and 3 to The Last of Us, Naughty Dog have definitely started to move on from it. I do expect there to be a few more of those set peices in Uncharted 4 but I'd be very surprised if it'll be anywhere near the amount that was in either 2 or 3.
I imagine there being the same ammount of set pieces, only keeping the action on the controller at all times. They have said as much in interviews.

Falchion

She left her partner literally hanging. Liked all the avalanches though, hope she makes a makeshift snowboard at some point in the game.

Walk forward, tap X.

One thing I'll say for this demo, at least it wasn't just gunplay and explosions. Canned as it was it at least cast the drama as Lara vs. Nature, beautiful and dangerous. So at least in tone its a step up, but otherwise it has the same mildy-interactive thrill-ride aspects as the last game.

XNarte

I was expecting an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 improvement but this demo just felt more like Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 2. I still like the last Tomb Raider game so more of the same isn't a bad thing, but it's just a little disappointing.

doby

I really don't like the emerging culture of gameplay demos being presented with some mug on stage holding a controller 'pretending' to play when it's pretty obvious they've all been prerecorded.

Not an important observation, but annoying nonetheless.

Can always count on ragnarokx to represent og tomb raider fans. :)
The demo wasn't even new scripted gameplay, you could have told me this was the first game and would completely believe you. So boring.

Ninjimbo

Ew, don't get me started on Anniversary LOL. I want something with challenging platforming that I actually have control over (like in Core Design's Tomb Raider games or Mirror's Edge). Not over-automated ledge-hopping. Haha, all I seem to be doing in this thread is complain but I can't help it. Crystal have simply not developed one proper Tomb Raider game IMO.
My first Tomb Raider game was Legends, so you can see where I'm coming from in my admiration lol. I think all the games they've made have been solid to great. I've never touched any of the Tomb Raider games from Core Design so I can't speak about them in any way. I understand where you're coming from though. Ragnarox makes it really damn clear in his/her posts haha.

Vire

Why not show the areas from the trailer? All of that looked infinitely more interesting than the demo itself.

Reedirect

A pretty underwhelming demo. Trailer looked a bit better, but I'm still not totally on board with the general direction of the rebooted TR. Seems like they're doing more of the same.

Why the hell are they releasing this game on Nov 10th, the same day that Fallout 4 is releasing? Combined with the xbox one exclusive holiday window timing, it feels like they are putting this game out to die.

Feel bad for the devs, out of their hands I am sure but if they are smart they would delay this till Q1 2016. As it stands its just a natural excuse for me just to wait for the PS4 or PC version. I really, really enjoyed the last game and all the tomb raiders for that matter, so will definitely be buying, but Fallout 4 is way higher on my list no matter what.

This looks awesome
I kinda liked the PS3 version I forgot the name,
but this looks much better in terms of graphics Idk about game play.

I have not kept up with this game,
is it an Xbon one exclusive or timed exclusive ?
(Sorry if this has been asked before)
I have a PS4 that's all.

RedAssedApe

Banned
One of those screenshots gives me hope for some actual tomb raiding. But it could actually just be another puzzle room like tr

Trailer areas looked great but that demo was quite poor. 2013 version has very similar scenes which are not all that interesting, just something you have to get through.

demolitio

These types of games always defy physics and all that, but some of those jumps took it too far to the point of being jarring to me.

Weird choice for a demo but still interested in the PC version whenever that is.

Conduit

Banned
4 days after Black Ops 3, same day as Fallout 4, one week before Battlefront.

What a lost case. I feel sorry for Lara.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This seems to fall into much the same trapping that 2013 game fell into. Trying to replicate what makes set piece sequences in Uncharted exciting, and failing at that. It just lacks that tension and tightness.
Ice and snow looks fantastic though.

Is it me or is that blatantly a video being played with bits cut out here and there? I played the stream twice and constantly throughout the video just jumps ahead, like she climbs a rock and suddenly she is midway through a jump, or walking near the start and is suddenly several steps ahead.

That demo was almost offensive. How many times can someone go flying through a wall of ice until they die, or at least pass out..? And let's not forget her inhuman strength to climb said wall of ice without tiring. I know it's a game but at least acknowledge real life. MGSV had Snake shaking the lactic acid out of his muscles. Yes, that's how the other game was, but doesn't make it good.

Idk how many times I rolled my eyes watching that.

And LOL at them sending it to die with Fallout 4, and between COD and Battlefront.

BahamutPT

Seems like I'm really getting this on PS4 after the exclusivity period... Launching the same day as Fallout 4 and right before Battlefront is just crazy.

I wonder if that Nov. 10 date actually sticks. I bet it's moved up (or back) a week or two...it's gonna' want to get the HELL out of the way of Fallout!

Rupe

Neo Member
Uncharted 2 really got into Crystal Dynamics heads isn't it?

Well Uncharted 2 had something the last TR simply didn't get, pacing. In a game like this you need to understand that if you're putting players on a roller-coaster then you need to make it fun one.
Even if I ignore the fact that they're completely disregarding the actual series history in these games and making games similar to Uncharted, it's still hard for me to enjoy them and I freaking love Uncharted.

The combat in the last one was good, but everything else around it from story, puzzle solving and set pieces was awful. The last cut in the reveal gave me a little bit of hope...

I'm still waiting for someone to follow the steps of Underworld but this time with better combat and better character movement.

CoG

Didn't seem like much was added mechanics wise from the previous version. The "sliding down a toboggan channel" mechanic was my least favorite from the last game.

Top Bottom