• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Gameplay Demo (E3 2015), out November 10th

Harlequin

I hope those tombs are long stretches of isolation and puzzle solving. That would be perfect.

You know, I hoped/assumed that that was going to be the case with the first game. Needless to say I was utterly disappointed. So yeah, I wouldn't count on it being any different this time around.

Alo0oy

Banned
That looked dull, but it was probably a wrong part they cut from the game, I'm pretty sure the game is far better than what was shown, I especially liked the trailer at the end.

RagnarokX

No Ragnarok, I'm not doing this again with you.

giphy.gif

You never did it in the first place. Is it so much to ask that someone make a meaningful counterargument? It's always "haters" or posting gifs.

They kept saying "The game has puzzles! There's platforming! We just aren't showing it yet!" And so we waited, and waited, and then the game came out and nope. The game was exactly what it looked like in all of the previews.

If they want to dispel fears that this game is not more of what we didn't like about the first game they picked an awful way to do it with this demo.

Harlequin

This is the first major gameplay reveal for the game right?

Compare that to Uncharted 4's gameplay reveal at PSX.

Them priorities.

Whoever is calling the shots at Crystal is living at least about five years in the past. Most other big developers have at least started to move on from the cinematic action set-piece stuff. Crystal are only just now getting warm with it.

You never did it in the first place. Is it so much to ask that someone make a meaningful counterargument? It's always "haters" or posting gifs.

They kept saying "The game has puzzles! There's platforming! We just aren't showing it yet!" And so we waited, and waited, and then the game came out and nope. The game was exactly what it looked like in all of the previews.

If they want to dispel fears that this game is not more of what we didn't like about the first game they picked an awful way to do it with this demo.

Exactly. I won't believe any of their PR bullshit until I play the game and can actually see it with my own eyes.

jelly

Looked amazing but the gameplay was nothing even if you could call it that. What they showed was a reskin of the most soulless on rails parts of the last one.

weekev

Banned
Ok Im gonna say it....getting Uncharted 2 vibes from the trip up the mountain, add in a train crash and guys shooting at you and we are there.

I liked it though, my kind of game outside of Nintendo stuff.

Fucking terrible demo, worst of the show.

Tomb Raider's combat was actually fun, show some of that, not this scripted cinematic nonsense.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Them priorities.
Remember that they had around five minutes for an actual demo. Compared to UC4 getting 15 minutes at PSX. Any high resolution links yet? Wanna make a gif of Lara's facial animation, which was a huge step forward. That tech.
2621402-3321164696-Buc6B.jpg

Them priorities.
It will be easier to compare both games now that they are releasing close to each other.

In my opinion Naughty Dog are on another level, and this demo didn't do much to convince me otherwise. We'll see when we get to play the full game. The small clips at then end looked more exciting than the whole avalanche thing.

hawk2025

Dull, uninspired, and highlighting the few things that didn't work on the original reboot, rather than the great parts of it.

As I said on a different thread, I can only hope that it was for demo purposes. But it IS possible to have the kind of gameplay reveal that highlights other parts of the game, especially when they had this much time.

foxbeldin

Felt like the first game with snow. At a certain moment, i was like "eh i played this already".
They kept what made the first one good, and what made it bad at times.

Will still buy.

Ninjimbo

You know, I hoped/assumed that that was going to be the case with the first game. Needless to say I was utterly disappointed. So yeah, I wouldn't count on it being any different this time around.
They showed off some bits in the montage that hint at it. Like the minecart thing, for example, it looks like it's part of a larger puzzle to solve and the environment it was in looked rather large. I know CD is capable of designing some pretty complex levels if the Lara Croft games and Underworld are any indication.

And in the last game, I believe the last third of it is pretty isolated with some bang-bang stuff thrown in for some variety. Everything from the coast and going onto the final showdown on the snowy mountain was perfectly paced. If this new game can strike that same balance with just a little more puzzles and traversal like in that last third, GOTY for me easily.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
No excuse, show combat then. Not some COD/Uncharted scripted sequence that I know ill just be pressing up for. Show swimming, anything but what they showed.
IIRC there will be less combat in this game with the environment being the main antagonist instead. So more exploration and such.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
That looked like an exact rip of escape moments from the first game. Sad that they doubled down. Even sadder when I'll make an eventual purchase.

eXistor

There better be more gameplay than what they showed, because all I saw was a boring interactive cutscene.

Harlequin

They showed off some bits in the montage that hint at it. Like the minecart thing, for example, it looks like it's part of a larger puzzle to solve and the environment it was in looked rather large. I know CD is capable of designing some pretty complex levels if the Lara Croft games and Underworld are any indication.

I don't trust any of this "looks like"-reasoning. That's exactly the kind of stuff I used to tell myself before the first reboot game's release and none of it turned out to be true. You can even find my posts on here where I was defending the game before its release, saying shit like "of course it's gonna have big story tombs in it with exploration and puzzles, they'll probably have a whole, huge hub that's just a tomb". Yeah... right.

And in the last game, I believe the last third of it is pretty isolated with some bang-bang stuff thrown in for some variety. Everything from the coast and going onto the final showdown on the snowy mountain was perfectly paced. If this new game can strike that same balance with just a little more puzzles and traversal like in that last third, GOTY for me easily.

Uhm. Agree to disagree. Heavily.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

What do you want to see? They said that everything you want is coming back one way or the other. Naturally that doesn't mean they will abandon the stuff that made the last Tomb Raider popular (yes, I liked the action set pieces). This is an E³ presser demo. They cannot do anything else. Just look at all the other demos. It's always the same scripted scenes because there is no time for anything else.

Stillmatic

I was expecting a better looking game, maybe it was just the section they demoed. It looked just like DE, which was cross gen. The demo in general was pretty boring also.

Also I don't get why they keep say "Xbox One Exclusive | Holiday 2015", when every other timed exclusive they'd shown in the conference said something like "Console First". Seems a bit intentionally cryptic.

whoszed

The demo was awful. Just over-scripted cinematic action set-pieces. The montage at the end looked kinda cool but I remain highly sceptical. It''ll probably be just as bad as the 2013 game.

If you thought the last one was terrible then yes, from the looks of it, this won't chance your mind.

I thought the first game was fun. Nothing incredible, but I might get the sequel at some point if it comes out for PS4. Unless the reviews end up being being mediocre then maybe not.

Pakkidis

Glad I am not the only one who noticed how scripted this was. I loved the first one so I am not too worried but I really wish this game focuses more on exploration and puzzle solving vs highly scripted cinematic moments.

martino

Them priorities.

Yeah it seems it reverse priorites from last gen games of the franchise
So uncharted 4 will be probably better than next tr this time for me from what i see.

Kinyou

Whoever is calling the shots at Crystal is living at least about five years in the past. Most other big developers have at least started to move on from the cinematic action set-piece stuff. Crystal are only just now getting warm with it.
I'd be very surprised if we don't see a big action set peice stuff from uncharted 4 today

Mr-Joker

Banned
That's an odd thing to say considering she's actually British.

I enjoyed the first game so I'm looking forward to the eventual PC release.

British people can do bad British accent, something the entire cast of Xenoblade does as well.

FLAguy954

Graphics look nice, but holy shit was this a bad demo. I like that he held the controller like he was playing, too.

It was all the of most boring parts of tomb raider 2013 edited together into a video, with none of the good parts shown.

These are my exact thoughts as well.

RagnarokX

We need to see gameplay, though. The first game had sets that looked promising and would fool you in a 2 second clip, but in the actual game your interactivity with them was to run straight while they exploded around you. I mean, the minecart did look promising... until it exploded.

Top Bottom