• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Classic Sales-Age* FEB-1994 w/ figures: TEH SONIC 3 BOOM!!!

Thought I'd post the next chart since I just completed it and to livin' up this slow Sunday.

February 1994:
U.S. Figures only
Code:
1   GEN     Sonic The Hedgehog 3 ($58) 	                 Sega	295,411 / NEW
2   GEN     Mortal Kombat ($56) 	                                 Acclaim	  70,255	
3   GEN     Aladdin ($50)	                                 Capcom	  44,425	
4   GEN     Eternal Champions ($60)	                 Sega	  39,310	
5   GEN     Sonic Spinball ($44)	                                 Sega	  38,304	
6   GEN     John Madden NFL 94 ($56)	                 EA	  36,301	
7   SNES   Mortal Kombat ($60)	                                 Acclaim	  31,107	
8   GEN     NHL 94 ($60)	                                 EA	  30,987 / 70,721
9   GEN     Joe Montana NFL Football 94 ($55)                Sega	  30,861	
10  GEN    Street Fighter II: Special Champion Ed ($63) Capcom	  29,184	
11  SNES  Aladdin ($59)	                                 Capcom	  29,056	
12  SNES  Mega Man X ($64)	                                 Capcom	  25,927 / 46,666
13  SNES  Super Mario All-Stars ($55)	                 Nintendo	  23,205	
14  SNES  Super Mario Kart ($48) 	                 Nintendo	  22,121	
15  NES    Tetris 2 ($39)	                                 Nintendo	  20,265	
16  GEN    Tecmo Super NBA Basketball ($60)	 Tecmo	  19,048	
17  GEN    X-Men ($50)	                                 Sega	  18,742	
18  SNES  NHL Stanley Cup ($49)	                 Nintendo	  17,061	
19  GEN    Jurassic Park ($49)	                                 Sega	  17,049	
20  SNES  Street Fighter II Turbo ($67)	                 Capcom	  16,441	
21  SNES  Mario Paint	 ($57)                                        Nintendo	  15,939	
22  GEN    FIFA Soccer ($58)	                                 EA	  15,834	
23  GEN    PGA Tour II ($57)	                                 EA	  15,489	
24  SNES  Secret of Mana ($69)	                                 Square	  15,011	
25  GEN    Winter Olympics ($60)	                                 Eidos	  14,648	

Sega Genesis ($111)	         268,445 
                                 Super NES ($119)               142,720 
                                 NES ($52)	                           32,222
                                 Atari Jaguar ($250)                1,379
                                 3DO Multiplayer ($699>$499)    827

And for ioi: the games that are bundled w/ the HW:
GEN w/ Sonic 2 186,762 ($120)
SNES w/ SMW 105,898 ($130)
These are included above w/n the HW sales.

I'll include the avrg. selling price for HW/SW in each chart from now on.

Great debut for for Sonic 3! Keepin' the Genesis significantly ahead of the competition:).

For January '94:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106330

Neo Child

Banned
As far as I remember, didn't SNES outsell Mega Drive? From these daft sales charts you rejects keep posting, it seems Sega wins. Nintendo am doomed.

Even 12 years ago, people were buying too many EA games(granted, they were better at the time, but still).

and why the heck didn't I get a redesigned NES back when it only cost $50?! Ah, whatta idiot I am.

Nintendo must hurry the SNES CD expansion made by Sony if they want to come back at top...

Also i heard about the sequel of SMW, called Yoshi's Island, someone can confirm it's only a rumor?

Neo Child

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
Nintendo must hurry the SNES CD expansion made by Sony if they want to come back at top...

Also i heard about the sequel of SMW, called Yoshi's Island, someone can confirm it's only a rumor?

What a time it would have been if GAF was around back then.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh man, I remember getting Sonic 3 at launch day. I was really, really looking forward to it, and it was fantastic. The European box art was bizarre, it had some funky vector art (gradient "metal" and "bolts") going on in the logo:

240505_Megadrive_-_Sonic_3.jpg

It also had the awesome blue Megadrive first party box art that made 1994 seem like next generation, with Virtua Racing and all.

Damn, I loved that MegaDrive.

Ashodin

I saw a screenshot of that Yoshi's Island game you speak of, and THINK IT LOOKS TOO KIDDY MAN, what is Nintendo doing!?

Neo Child

Banned
Maxrpg said:
I saw a screenshot of that Yoshi's Island game you speak of, and THINK IT LOOKS TOO KIDDY MAN, what is Nintendo doing!?

Dunno, but they're sure out of the console race. Saturn's gunna be in the lead.

Wow man Sonic is so much more important Mario now, definitely more of a system seller. I bet Sega has got a major new Sonic cooking for their next-gen system.

Neo Child said:
As far as I remember, didn't SNES outsell Mega Drive? From these daft sales charts you rejects keep posting, it seems Sega wins. Nintendo am doomed.

Don't you know your history?
Genesis, thanks to bloody MK was ahead until DKC.
And the original NPD charts had SNES sales even lower. These are the adjusted (increased) figures.
btw, these are U.S. charts so there's no Mega Drive.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
And people bitch about game prices now. Secret of Mana was ****in $70
and worth every mother****in penny

cvxfreak said:
Game Boy is still killing Game Gear, so Nintendo still wins.
That'll pass once people realize that Game Gear has better graphics and a way better screen. Plus alot of that is from parents buying there kids a gameboy because its cheaper, but that can't last forever.

Billy Rygar said:
That'll pass once people realize that Game Gear has better graphics and a way better screen. Plus alot of that is from parents buying there kids a gameboy because its cheaper, but that can't last forever.

Yeah, after all there are only so much children and they get older and older.

Frankfurter said:
Yeah, after all there are only so much children and they get older and older.
Exactly. people will realize that the Game Boy does not deliver the graphics or the screen of the game gear and then it will be game over the game boy so to speak. Sega should have the handheld market after that.

Neo Child

Banned
Square2005 said:
Don't you know your history?
Genesis, thanks to bloody MK was ahead until DKC.
And the original NPD charts had SNES sales even lower. These are the adjusted (increased) figures.
btw, these are U.S. charts so there's no Mega Drive.

I know about that the Mortal Kombat thingy. I know these are the US charts, but I just call it Mega Drive from pure instinct. I was meaning as a whole, when SNES + MD sales declined and the introduction of the N64+PS1, who sold more?

Kangu

Banned
Looks like I didn't do so bad with my predictions.

Sonic The Hedgehog 3 ----------300k (pretty damn close!)
Mortal Kombat -------------------50k (ouch I thought MK was going to see a big drop this week)
Aladdin ---------------------------49k (Superior version FTW)
SNES Aladdin -------------------12k (I was way off, but to be fair 12k is about how much the inferior version deserves to sell)

Tecmo Super NBA Basketball ---20k (Like I said, if TECMO is thinking tis is going to do TECMO Bowl numbers they are off their rocker)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
HyperZone<3 said:
and why the heck didn't I get a redesigned NES back when it only cost $50?! Ah, whatta idiot I am.

i bought a redesigned nes when they were $50, and it isn't much good, if that's any consolation -- it lacks composite outs, and its picture through rf has these very jarring vertical lines all through it. the latter is a feature of all nes toploaders, apparently. you'd be better off repairing an original nes, or getting hold of an a/v famicom and a cartridge converter.

Billy Rygar said:
Licensed games, sports, sequels and spinoffs. Seems about par.

Many of those licensed games were actually good though.

The Genesis/SNES Aladdin games for instance were quite well done.

Rlan

Auron said:
Why in the world did Sega launch Sonic 3 in February? It would have sold a million in November.

Sonic 3: February 2, 1994
Sonic & Knuckles: October 18, 1994

SEGA knows how to make money!

loosus

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Many of those licensed games were actually good though.

The Genesis/SNES Aladdin games for instance were quite well done.
Uh, you're aware that many, many people like much of today's licensed games, right? Nothing's changed. I loved Aladdin, but you could easily argue that it was just a standard, run-of-the-mill platformer with good graphics -- like much of the licensed stuff made today.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
loosus said:
Uh, you're aware that many, many people like much of today's licensed games, right? Nothing's changed. I loved Aladdin, but you could easily argue that it was just a standard, run-of-the-mill platformer with good graphics -- like much of the licensed stuff made today.

Really? I'd love for you to try and do that

Kangu

Banned
loosus said:

No you could not. It was a polished game, with good controls, graphics and entertaining levels. Games can be analyzed objectively with much more ease than music can. The licensed stuff made today is rarely polished, has crap controls and has abysmal level design.

Besides its CAPCOM! C'mon man CAPCOM!

loosus said:
I was actually making a joke when I said what I did. Capcom's Disney games are probably the best example of making a game based on a license rather than forcing a license into a game. Riddick embodies this nicely as well for a more reason example.

loosus

Banned
Kangu said:
No you could not. It was a polished game, with good controls, graphics and entertaining levels. Games can be analyzed objectively with much more ease than music can.
Analyzed? Give me a break. Your first mistake is to say that you can "objectively" analyze a game, because no you cannot.

People -- believe it or not! -- do have widely varying opinions about games, many of which don't even resemble those of you or your group of Internet friends. Yes, many people loved playing every game GAF "analyzes" and "deems" to be crap: Superman 64, Enter the Matrix, etc.

Kangu

Banned
loosus said:
Analyzed? Give me a break. Your first mistake is to say that you can "objectively" analyze a game, because no you cannot.

People -- believe it or not! -- do have widely varying opinions about games, many of which don't even resemble those of you or your group of Internet friends. Yes, many people loved playing every game GAF "analyzes" and "deems" to be crap: Superman 64, Enter the Matrix, etc.

There are certain merits that can be argued objectively. Keep in mind I only made the statement relative to how you can analyze music (which was your own retarded comparison).

The simple fact is there is no comparision between the licensed rubbish that is put out today and the Disney games CAPCOM put out.

loosus said:

Well certainly in regards to Superman 64 you can objectively say that button inputs were inconsistent, or that Enter the Matrix had some serious animation interpolation problems. these are all problems that hold back a game.

loosus

Banned
There are certain merits that can be argued objectively. Keep in mind I only made the statement relative to how you can analyze music (which was your own retarded comparison).
Uh...what the hell are you talking about? I said nothing about music. I think you'd be better off just not replying, anymore.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
loosus said:
Uh...what the hell are you talking about? I said nothing about music. I think you'd be better off just not replying, anymore.

You should take your own advice there Junior

Kangu

Banned
loosus said:

Shit my brain is playing tricks on me. I have no idea how I kept inserting licensed music where it only said lisenced.

Regardless, there is no comparison between a quality game like Aladdin and crap like enter the Matrix. I mean, do you really want to go into a debate about it? Rubbish like EtM cannot be argued for with anything other than, "I thought it as fun".

loosus

Banned
No, I don't want to debate it. What I'm saying is there is no difference between now and 12 years ago in terms of licensed games. Of course, your idea of fun is certainly different between someone who more casually plays games, but I would argue that most people who loved Aladdin weren't exactly the overly critical, self-professed gaming "diehards" that they are today -- and they probably were younger back then, too.

Rlan

Incidentily, where are you getting this sales data anyhow? Is it a rough estimation based on other data? Where is it from? I just remember someone mentioning that SEGA are crap at keeping statistics.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have a release of New Releases for the month, would you? Surely more than Sonic 3 got released in Feburary, 1994 :)

apotema

At least Megaman 10 is in the charts.... Will they make one day Megaman 7??? I want to know what happened in 7, 8 and 9... This X is very different

Top Bottom