• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deutschland 83 - spy thriller set in 1980's Germany -SundanceTV - [S2 to air in 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
q5agQW7.jpg

Deutschland 83 premiered last night on SundanceTV. It received great reviews from critics on either side of the Atlantic. I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but I'll check it out soon - sounds like a fun show for the Summer. Note that the co-production is mostly in German with subtitles.

'Deutschland 83' is a gripping coming-of-age story set against the real culture wars and political events of Germany in the 1980s. The drama follows Martin Rauch (Jonas Nay) as the 24 year-old East Germany native is pulled from the world as he knows it and sent to the West as an undercover spy for the Stasi foreign service. Hiding in plain sight in the West German army, he must gather the secrets of NATO military strategy. Everything is new, nothing is quite what it seems and everyone he encounters is harboring secrets, both political and personal.

Trailers:
- Trailer #1
- Trailer #2

Reviews:
- Grantland: Spies, Bananas, and the Berlin Wall: ‘Deutschland 83,’ the Summer’s Best New Show, Premieres Tonight
A quick word of caution for those averse to reading words on screens: As befits its name, Deutschland 83 is filmed entirely in German. (Indeed, it’s thought to be the first all-German-language television series to air in the United States.) A follow-up word of assurance: It won’t faze you a bit. Married cocreators Jörg and Anna Winger bring a fascinating transnational perspective to their work; he’s from Cologne, she’s an American. So while Deutschland is deeply rooted in the specifics of a time and place we rarely see onscreen — if you didn’t know bananas were a big deal in East Berlin, you soon will — it crackles and pops with a distinctly American energy. It delights in genre absurdity, from lo-fi lock picking to comically snarling guard dogs; it leans into soap-operatic excess. Let me translate this for you into the simplest terms possible: Deutschland is a total blast.
- Onion A|V Club review
Slated for an eight-episode season, Deutschland 83 is a stylish take on the spy genre that carefully balances its humor with high stakes, and with Nay as an anchor, promises that this is a spy caper worth a few summer weeks. B+
- NY Times
The series doesn’t have the depth of that other ’80s spy show, “The Americans” on FX, but intentionally so. It’s decidedly a drama — lots of close calls and complications for Martin to deal with — but there’s a slight wink throughout as well, as if it were saying, “Don’t take this too seriously.”
- Deutschland 83 Series Premiere Review: The Best Summer Show You Probably Won't Watch
I was also fascinated to see 1980s East and West Germany on television. Period dramas that dip back only a handful of decades are all the rage right now, but rarely do we get to see those time periods portrayed in other countries. This is cool, I'm not sure why, but it's cool. Adding to the location was the confident and sleek direction and cinematography, providing visual storytelling akin to the best of American television. And how about that training sequence? If we can expect more of that, then Deutschland 83 could be the best looking series of the summer.
- Time.com
Another nostalgic spy thriller, this time as a gripping--and surprisingly entertaining--coming-of-age story.

JmmI4yr.jpg

DfIbjMB.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
After Rectify, which is one of the best TV shows I've ever seen, I'll check out every Sundance original project.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Looks like there's a repeat of the premiere at 1 AM EST on Tuesday the 23rd. I've got my DVR set so I'll check it out then.

tim.mbp

After Rectify, which is one of the best TV shows I've ever seen, I'll check out every Sundance original project.

Rectify is awesome, but does this count as a Sundance original project? Also The Red Road is really bad, so don't check that out.

Karu

Rectify is awesome, but does this count as a Sundance original project? Also The Red Road is really bad, so don't check that out.
It's from the german network RTL. Sundace got the rights to air it in the US.

So happy we got off our asses and delivered something in this particular medium of international acclaim. In the german language nonetheless. Really looking forward to it. Nay was amazing in the german television movie Homevideo.

Aon

This sounds fantastic. Sadly it doesn't seem like it's going to air in Germany for some months yet. Damn shame.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I didn't realize this hadn't already aired in Germany. That's rather odd.

I recorded, but didn't watch yet. I'm super behind on TV after being gone for a few days for my brother's wedding. Looking forward to getting to it shortly, I'm very down for spy thrillers.

The Honorable Woman, The Honorable Woman, The Honorable Woman!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
It's from the german network RTL. Sundace got the rights to air it in the US.

So happy we got off our asses and delivered something in this particular medium of international acclaim. In the german language nonetheless. Really looking forward to it. Nay was amazing in the german television movie Homevideo.

Really? RTL produced something worthwhile, I'm legit shocked :p

Never heard of this before, looks good!

So, no way to watch this in Germany yet?

On one hand, I love the Cold War period. On the other, German TV dramas tend to be shit. Mmm...
Sounds like things might be changing: Deutschland 83: Scandinavian TV takes a backseat as new show ushers in golden age for German TV dramas
Deutschland 83, about a Stasi spy in 1980s West Germany, is currently thought to be the target of a bidding war between three British broadcasters, after being the subject of a similar three-way battle in France.

It’s even breaking America. Having been acquired by SundanceTV, the eight-part drama is also due to become the first German-language drama to be aired on a major US network, and is being backed by a heavily financed publicity drive ahead of its first airing next month.

International excitement is also growing about Babylon Berlin, a 12-part series set in the days of the Weimar Republic being directed by Tom Tykwer, whose cinematic credits include Perfume and Cloud Atlas.

In October he signalled something pretty new for German TV drama by promising “multifaceted characters, epic breadth and innovative narrative form”.

Some have even suggested foreign buyers are enjoying the humour in the new shows.

One British source at FremantleMedia International, the worldwide distributor of Deutschland 83, said: “It is so different from almost anything else Germany has produced. There are bits of humour in it. It’s quite unusual to see this kind of humour in a German drama, and that’s one of the reasons why everyone is so excited about it.”

It has left Nico Hofmann, the chairman of UFA Fiction, the German company that produced Deutschland 83, predicting a rosy future for German television.

Speaking yesterday before boarding a flight to LA for a meeting with Netflix executives to discuss Killing Berlin, another forthcoming drama series, he said the new wave of German drama was ushering in a golden age.

“I definitely think we are in the middle of it. Because there is a younger generation now, that is digging up a lot of interesting, complex historical topics.”

Despite isolated classics like (the wartime U-boat drama) Das Boot, broadcast to huge acclaim on BBC2 in 1984, Mr Hofmann, 55, showed no great desire to defend his country’s previous TV drama achievements.

“In the last 30 years,” he said, “There was a very boring, stiff, didactic way of television making – very German, very narrow-minded.

“Especially in the field of historical topics, there was an anxiety about discussing issues emotionally. You didn’t get the inner emotional feelings and psychological complexity you are getting now.”

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
On one hand, I love the Cold War period. On the other, German TV dramas tend to be shit. Mmm...

They are 99% shit, thats why I'm so surprised by this.
Maybe it got so good reviews because the German setting and actors are kind of "exotic" for American viewers...

but for real, I hope this is good, can't really remember what the last German TV show is I watched/liked.

Interesting. Seems like I have to check our own TV market again from time to time in the future, nice!

Didn't even knew that Tykwer was helming a series...

Irminsul

International excitement is also growing about Babylon Berlin, a 12-part series set in the days of the Weimar Republic being directed by Tom Tykwer, whose cinematic credits include Perfume and Cloud Atlas.

OMG, a TV show set in Weimar Republic Berlin? I need to see this.

And yeah, quite funny that this series isn't premièring in Germany first.

Amir0x

Banned

oh didn't know Sundance didn't make this. Still, it's on Sundance and it's new in America, so I'll still thank them kindly for bringing it over if it's good like I hear it is

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Thats a BBC Original show and yes, it was amazing!
Sundance co-produced, which is what I was getting at. Red Road was weak, but they've had good taste with their other productions and acquisitions.

I saw a bit of it last night, and I liked what I saw. The scene where
he's taking shots of the general's documents
is shot in such an understated and skillful way that keeps the tension high.

Patrick S.

Banned
Lol, takes me back to being a little child and hearing about "ze evil Rushens" in the news every day. I remember I was really afraid of the (cold) war when I was little. Now, I'm not so little anymore and the cold war is back :(

Randam

so a german has to go on gaf to learn about new german tv shows..

lol.

btw.: is this going to be dubbed in the US?

Golden age for German TV dramas?! According to the article there's this and Babylon Berlin looks promising... Sorry that's 1 1/2 godd examples next to a mountain of shit but definitely not the beginning of a golden age. Yet. Kinda ironic that both examples aren't some apologetic WW2 bullshit or about the Fall of the Berlin Wall.

Also:
Some have even suggested foreign buyers are enjoying the humour in the new shows.

One British source at FremantleMedia International, the worldwide distributor of Deutschland 83, said: “It is so different from almost anything else Germany has produced. There are bits of humour in it. It’s quite unusual to see this kind of humour in a German drama, and that’s one of the reasons why everyone is so excited about it.”

Fuck off with your stereotypes, Independent.

danielcw

Note that the co-production is mostly in German with subtitles.

Rectify is awesome, but does this count as a Sundance original project?

As I understand it it is not a co-production.
It is an "original series" in the same way Netflix uses that claim: they are just the first to air it somewhere.

so a german has to go on gaf to learn about new german tv shows.
I am not sure why you are surprised.

On the other hand, do you not follow any German TV news?

As I understand it it is not a co-production.
It is an "original series" in the same way Netflix uses that claim: they are just the first to air it somewhere.
Ah, ok. I've seen it listed as a co-production in a couple of reviews. Thanks for the clarification.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wait, hold on, a good show by RTL? What?

RTL produced something good?

Huh.

This may be the real news, TBH.

I used to watch some RTL during my teens and it always struck me as terrible, terrible channel even back then in the 90's when everything sucked. But what is more amazing is that its overall quality hasn't changed that much since then going from what I've seen during my trips to Germany over the past 5 years or so.

Pryce

About to watch it right now. It looks fascinating, and since I really miss The Americans, I think this will help with that.

I watched the pilot last night. The lead is charming and is believable in his youthful exuberance crossed with being overwhelmed by the whole situation. The aunt is another character with a good introduction, and the rest of the cast does some solid work. The show is very well shot, particularly in the opening few scenes. Nice framing and camerawork.

I like the set up and the reasons why he gets involved. There's a good push and pull between him enjoying parts of the Western experience while also being homesick and wanting to return.

The soundtrack is great. Hopefully that continues past the pilot. Great selection of 80's tracks. Oh, the training montage was very well crafted, too.

Anyway, off to a very good start and highly recommended for someone looking for a Summer show to watch.

danielcw

I just read that many of the writers of the series actually weren't German, and the creator is actually an American novelist. Her husband happened to be a German TV producer at UFA, and so the series was born.

Ah, ok. I've seen it listed as a co-production in a couple of reviews. Thanks for the clarification.

If I remember correctly, Sundance buying the series was announced after the first few episodes have been shown at the Berlinale.

Maybe they were involved in earlier talks, but the timeline of public details paints a different picture.

I guess one can't be sure until he sees the end credits and copyright notice.

Patrick S.

Banned
This may be the real news, TBH.

I used to watch some RTL during my teens and it always struck me as terrible, terrible channel even back then in the 90's when everything sucked. But what is more amazing is that its overall quality hasn't changed that much since then going from what I've seen during my trips to Germany over the past 5 years or so.

In the '90s RTL was good. RTL Samstag Nacht, F1, Stern TV, Thomas Gottschalk... and none of that dumb Hartz IV fake reality shit that is now 95% of what they show. Well, that and boring 80s and 90s music chart shows. The only thing I watch on RTL now, is occasionally CSI and very rarely F1.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hey, I liked the music charts!

And I was totally addicted to VIVA back in the day. Metalla and early Club Rotation, fuck yeah.

Fritz

Woah, looks neat. And so close to home, like literally.

P.S.: German media has been working for a while on upping their tv production game and taking a share of the tv renaissance. There have been serious think tanks and academies. The potential was always there but somebody had tu pump money into it and let independent spirits run free. I am just surprised that now Nico Hofmann is the first to deliver, who was one of the worst offenders putting money on mediocrity.

Patrick S.

Banned
The music charts are not bad, but they're always the same. Same songs, same jokes, same guests, and I can't stand smug Oliver Geissen any more.

danielcw

and none of that dumb Hartz IV fake reality shit that is now 95% of what they show.

Oh how I hate that hyperbole.
It is not even 25%.

And I don't like the idea that the shows you are referring to are made for and watched by unemployed people, or those who lack a higher education.
(I have never seen a proof for that claim)

Patrick S.

Banned
Oh how I hate that hyperbole.
It is not even 25%.

And I don't like the idea that the shows you are referring to are made for and watched by unemployed people, or those who lack a higher education.
(I have never seen a proof for that claim)

I don't know if it's hyperbole, all I know is that whenever I zap to RTL, there seems to be something like that on the air. I mainly am able to watch TV in the morning, though. And I did not and do not claim that this kind of programming is done for unemployed or poor people. I don't know WHO watches that stuff, all I know is that I do not, hence me not watching RTL anymore. And it's a shame, because it used to be the best channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom