• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deutschland 83 - spy thriller set in 1980's Germany -SundanceTV - [S2 to air in 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

Being honest, I loved it. Sometimes it feels like a big fat lazy caricature but then sometimes there are those great images, great scenes (everything Linda this episode), great plotlines. It's either a really mixed bag or they are trying to achieve something with it.

Fritz

It was hinted at by the way his one disciple touched him and how the guy was jealous about Alex getting Tobias' attention.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Good episode. Damn, that was dark when he was considering letting Linda drown. I liked the parallel with them skinny dipping like Annett and Thomas did in an earlier episode. Sure enough it cuts to Annett and Thomas shortly after that scene. Awkward convo between Mrs Edel and Yvonne there. Pretty slick how Martin diverted attention to Henrik Mayer, but it was pretty naive of him to not realize that Linda had a thing going on with Mayer. That's where it all went downhill (not quality-wise :p)

Poor Linda. Couldn't really tell if it was genuine affection for Linda, or just reacting due to his general sense of humanity that he got somebody killed. Maybe a mix I guess. I'm curious to see how Martin continues from this point, this has to test his motivation. Not really sure how this commune thing will pan out, but damn, guy moves on pretty quickly lol. Not sure about the Tobias-Alexander plot so far but willing to give it a few episodes.

"Trust is good, scrutiny is better." I liked that quote.

Here's next week's preview. Don't forget to spoiler tag discussion and all, if there is any :p the previews don't give too much to go on I guess.

Niraj

That's a popular German proverb. Go figure.

I think Martin is tackling Yvonn because
she was the only one that had seen him with Linda

Oh ok, thanks, I had no idea.

That's interesting, I didn't think of it like that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I finally got caught up on this and I'm digging it quite a bit. As a fan of 'The Americans', I love that this is sort of like 'The anti-Americans' in many ways. The pace is absolutely breakneck - I expected them to get a little/a bunch more mileage out of the bug that Martin planted under the desk at the end of last week's episode, and was caught completely off guard when it was immediately discovered in the beginning of episode 4. And then the entire situation with the secretary and how it spiraled out of control in such a short amount of time...I love that this show isn't interested in being the "set up a plotline that won't pay off for 3 more seasons" type show that The Americans is (again, even though I really enjoy The Americans). It's just pure pulp/pop fun.

Yeah, it's the anti-Americans for sure Ratsky. I actually like this show.

And thus concludes dead souls' daily tilting at windmills television critics.

That episode was sogood.gif. The Edel family turmoil, the unintended consequences of
giving a bomber a package
, the callousness of the Stasi,
the traitorousness of Annett
--damn. This show legit crushes anything else on TV right now, just damn.

Niraj

Good episode. Really picked up in the second half especially. Mrs Edel was the MVP.

Fritz

Uh yeah liked it quite a bit. The characterization is getting deeper and deeper. I really liked Leonore this episode propbably because she showed some actual compassion for her sister. Though in the end I guess you never know what's true and what's not with this show.

Also as a German I think they put a lot of thought into little details like the way people speak (there are some distinctive western and eastern phrases and words). Stuff that is lost in the subs but also not really important.

I also really start to like Alex, allthough he has the dorkiest hair cut ever. I like how he confronted the Bhagwan guy.

The aids refrence felt a bit forced though.

I watched the first episode and I really enjoyed it, which surprised me. Judging from what I've seen so far I think it's definitely on a level playing field with some top international shows out there. Not sure if I should wait for the German broadcast or continue watching it now. I am intrigued!

And while I can see how the show could also appeal to American viewers, I am wondering if many of the small details, jokes and allusions to the inner-German divide (which make are a good part of what makes show great imo) are not lost on them?

Edit: fun fact: I never know that there was an English version of Major Tom (Völlig losgelöst) by Peter Schilling (?) which they decided to use for the shows (awesome) opening. I suppose they'll change it to the original for the German release?

This last episode was pretty fucking great, this series may have stumbled a bit in the beginning but it has delivered nonstop with some of the best TV I've ever seen without pause.

Niraj

Good episode. Had a good laugh after they found the interior minister hiding. "Nobody hears about this, understood?" Wonder how General Edel will react to Yvonne and Martin. Also wonder if it's going to turn out that Tobias actually is infected and transmitted it to Alexander.

Uh is this show meant to be a one and done deal, because I cannot fathom how they could ever do a second season now that Martin has confessed to being a spy.

Oh so it is? That's cool if that's the case. Better to end on a strong note (hopefully) then to drag the show out, even though up until the most recent episode I figured any potential second season would have been quite good.

Now it would feel a little silly, considering I don't see how this could ever resolved in a way that would make it possible for a second season without being bullshit.

Edit: I could be wrong about all this, but right now its hard to see the show resolving the fact that Martin confessed in an organic to allow for a second season which is why I'm its a one shot show. If the show wants to try and it works that's great, I would welcome that, but its hard to fathom.

Uh is this show meant to be a one and done deal, because I cannot fathom how they could ever do a second season now that Martin has confessed to being a spy.

Pretty sure THR called it a miniseries in their review.

And I know Sundance have aired some from the UK in the past, like The Honourable Woman and One Child.

Oh so it is? That's cool if that's the case. Better to end on a strong note (hopefully) then to drag the show out, even though up until the most recent episode I figured any potential second season would have been quite good.

Now it would feel a little silly, considering I don't see how this could ever resolved in a way that would make it possible for a second season without being bullshit.

Edit: I could be wrong about all this, but right now its hard to see the show resolving the fact that Martin confessed in an organic to allow for a second season which is why I'm its a one shot show. If the show wants to try and it works that's great, I would welcome that, but its hard to fathom.

No i just was going to ask the same question so I quoted you to show that I also wanted to know.

god I hope someone shoots alex, what a piece of shit character

Don't worry he'll die of
AIDS

Niraj

Wow, that made me sit up in my seat for sure. Didn't expect that at all. Really wonder what will happen in the finale. Great stuff.

DoubleYou

200.gif

Can't believe it's over. :( Had a real blast with this one. Pun intended.
Has it been a succes though? I would love to see more of this.

Milchmann

Good finale. I'm glad the writers neither resolved all arcs nor tried to set up a second season. This ambiguous ending is probably the most believable and realistic one.

One important detail the subtitles missed:
At Schweppenstette's interrogation of Ingrid Schweppenstette says "Leave Martin out of this" according to the subs. He actually says "Leave our boy out of this".

Can't believe it's over. :( Had a real blast with this one. Pun intended.
Has it been a succes though? I would love to see more of this.

It all depends on the ratings in Germany and the show hasn't aired there yet. So tell your German friends to watch the show on RTL.

From Andy Greenwald, who interviewed the two showrunners recently:
The creators told me they have plans for Deutschland 86 and 89 series -- but it depends on the German network/studio renewing.
Sepinwall also noted, regarding the future of the show:
It's unclear. Sundance says they don't know. Might require a shift in focus if they bring it back.

Niraj

Really hope Deutschland 86 and 89 end up happening. What a great first season, just really enjoyable overall.

Loved the shot of General Edel staring out of his house with the loneliness and emptiness looming around him. Was pretty clear that Schweppenstette was Martin's father but it was still a pretty strong moment when Ingrid actually said it to Annett. That's lame that the subs were wrong on the scene with Schweppenstette and Ingrid, that would've made that a little stronger at the end, but I guess the effect is still there in retrospect. Martin was great, getting shit done like he has been all season. Scene with the kid in the car was cute, though it was really clear he wasn't going to get discovered then. Thought Alexander was pretty good in this episode.

I kind of agree with the AV Club review that Lenora was underutilized. I found her interesting but we didn't get nearly enough. I suppose it's just a consequence of the nature of the show where people who interact with Martin regularly get more of a focus, which is understandable though. Maybe in a future season should they actually happen.

Hope this does well enough in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom