• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deutschland 83 - spy thriller set in 1980's Germany -SundanceTV - [S2 to air in 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielcw

And I did not and do not claim that this kind of programming is done for unemployed or poor people.

You used the term "Hartz IV".
And I am not just talking about you, but the whole "Unterschichtenfernsehen" debate, and people on the internet using RTL as a whipping boy, by focusing on a selected part of its programming.

(And if you only watch the channel in the morning, at probably the same time, wouldn't you expect to always see the same show?)

AFC11 is many things but internationally lauded.

Trash.

Apparently a lot of people like seeing it, I would call that "lauded".

Patrick S.

Banned
You used the term "Hartz IV".
And I am not just talking about you, but the whole "Unterschichtenfernsehen" debate, and people on the internet using RTL as a whipping boy, by focusing on a selected part of its programming.

(And if you only watch the channel in the morning, at probably the same time, wouldn't you expect to always see the same show?).

Yes, I did use that term, but I did not mean "this is what people on welfare watch". What I meant was "ok here we are watching (fake) reality TV where people on welfare are depicted in very bad ways". And that is what I find utterly uninteresting, and more importantly, harmful, because I'm sure there are enough people who watch that kind of programme, think it's real, and end up believing that everybody who is unemployed or on welfare is like the characters on Familien im Brennpunkt/Frauentausch/Verklag mich doch etc.

danielcw

I wonder if an international success of this series might raise interest in other German TV shows, for example Weißensee, a drama also set in the later years of the GDR.
(I have never seen it, just going by its reputation)

I only scanned the article, because it really got into plot details and I haven't seen the show yet.
Is the article recommending the show?

Yes, I did use that term, but I did not mean "this is what people on welfare watch". What I meant was "ok here we are watching (fake) reality TV where people on welfare are depicted in very bad ways".
Ah, now I see what you mean.

And that is what I find utterly uninteresting, and more importantly, harmful, because I'm sure there are enough people who watch that kind of programme, think it's real, and end up believing that everybody who is unemployed or on welfare is like the characters on Familien im Brennpunkt/Frauentausch/Verklag mich doch etc.
I have never seen anyone taking these shows serious, neither in real-life nor on the internet.
Most people actually seem to think of these shows as totally fake, even when they aren't.
But I have never seen a full episode of any of them, so I can't really judge.

El Topo

AFC11 is many things but internationally lauded.

Trash.

Lies. Slander. If it's not internationally lauded, how did it win the Taurus World Stunt Award for Best Action in a Foreign Film six times?

I find the whole "This show is for poor/stupid people" stance that is quite prevalent in Germany really annoying. Probably the wrong thread to discuss it though.

Patrick S.

Banned
I find the whole "This show is for poor/stupid people" stance that is quite prevalent in Germany really annoying. Probably the wrong thread to discuss it though.

Yeah, I've had to justify myself for saying that I like "TV Total" a few times.

I only scanned the article, because it really got into plot details and I haven't seen the show yet.
Is the article recommending the show?
It's more of an episode 1 summary than a review, but they do like it and unsurprisingly draw some comparisons to The Americans.

Probably the wrong thread to discuss it though.
Yes, we're getting to the point where the extended RTL/German TV discussion is taking the thread off track. While I do find it interesting, it's perhaps best suited for a new thread if it's going to be discussed extensively. Thank you.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The Honorable Woman, The Honorable Woman, The Honorable Woman!

Honourable Woman and yes, mind-boggling quality, the best show I've seen in years. Just incredible

this sounds particularly interesting, hopefully it comes out around here as well

Thought the first episode was fantastic, acting was great. The writing was gripping and had me hooked within minutes. Definitely going to keep watching this, to see how this plays out.
Got to give high praise to the production design, was top notch.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Thought the pilot was really entertaining. The lead was solid and believable in his role. Training montage was cool, and the scene where he goes to snap the pictures was fairly tense. The other cast members seem pretty good too, the aunt in particular seeming to have complex motivations. Nice camerawork and music too, and also really enjoyed the sets in general. Interested to see how the show progressed, but just based on the pilot I'm sold.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I finally got a chance to check out the premiere. I liked it. The cast (the lead in particular) is quite good and the story is compelling thus far. Soundtrack is killer. Looking forward to more.

Sloane

Banned
Finally got around to watch the pilot. It definitely looks much better than your average German TV show (both in terms of photography and set design), the pacing felt alright, and the lead seems to be a decent actor but other than that -- eh. It's still a far cry from something like The Americans.

I'm not really sure what the main guy's motivation will be in the long run, the dialogue felt pretty stilted at times, and some parts just didn't make any sense to me or felt way too convenient. The whole thing with the general's sister-in-law, for example.

I'll probably keep watching for a few episodes because I like the setting but so far the praise doesn't seem entirely deserved.

scotcheggz

Was part 2 of this on last night or tonight? I watched the pilot yesterday and it was great, but I can't seem to find part 2 yet. Did I just get the days wrong? I'm from the UK so.. if anyone knows any more legitimate ways to watch I'd appreciate it.

Was part 2 of this on last night or tonight? I watched the pilot yesterday and it was great, but I can't seem to find part 2 yet. Did I just get the days wrong? I'm from the UK so.. if anyone knows any more legitimate ways to watch I'd appreciate it.
It aired last night. Sundance has it up on their website if you have an American cable provider log in. It should also be up on-demand platforms here in the US. Not sure if there is a legal way to watch it beyond that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just watched the first episode. It was even better than I imagined, and I love the subject matter.

Such a refreshing change after the utter disappointment with The Americans.

scotcheggz

It aired last night. Sundance has it up on their website if you have an American cable provider log in. It should also be up on-demand platforms here in the US. Not sure if there is a legal way to watch it beyond that.

Yeah that's what tripped me last time, I seemed to bypass the initial region stuff but then it was asking me all about my cable provider and I was like lol nope don't have that in the UK. Thanks though, I'll keep an eye for it to pop up.. elsewhere, later today I guess. Cheers.

Niraj

I also enjoyed the second episode. Really tense when he was breaking into the safe. I really like the main character and the ingenuity and spontaneity he's showing. He's good at what he has had to do so far despite his initial reluctance.

Fritz

I wonder how they will tie the east and west story lines together again. Naturally the only connection is Leonore atm. I mean Annett can basically do whatevertf she wants without Martin knowing. Also Yvonn is hot albeit being a bit ridiciulous.

Mrs Edel and her sister's interactions were funny. And I like the kinda quirky spy action. I mean he is no James Bond and that what makes it interesting and exciting to watch.

takoyaki

The first episode is free on itunes right now; you don't have to be in the US to watch it, you just need an US itunes account.

Sloane

Banned
Mrs Edel and her sister's interactions were funny. And I like the kinda quirky spy action. I mean he is no James Bond and that what makes it interesting and exciting to watch.
I doesn't really make a whole lot of sense though. In the second episode, they've got an entire team on site at the hotel, they've got an agent working there as a maid (and she's sleeping with the hotel owner or something), but they need him to place a bug in the guy's room and break into his safe? Why?

Also, we are only in episode two and he already twice didn't get made because the person, who could blow his cover, happened to be drunk. That's... pretty lazy.

Niraj

New episode tonight:

Atlantic Lion

While at a NATO conference in Brussels, Martin gets his first assignment: to seduce and bug the head security analyst’s secretary, Linda.

Niraj

-Preview of next week's episode (spoiler tag any discussion)

Watched this week's episode tonight, didn't think it was as good as the last two, but still enjoyable. I laughed at the computer issue. Also laughed at how the gas pump was clearly in the car, and then it wasn't without Martin removing it. Martin's mom is pretty sharp, didn't expect her to know about Annett and Thomas. I really liked the short scene where Martin listened to the Walkman, some pretty genuine looking acting there. The scenes with him and Linda were good too. Felt so bad for him with the whole cat situation lol. Episode had some nice music, I'll never say no to The Police. They really made the book situation with Martin's mom seem super sinister.

Fritz

I doesn't really make a whole lot of sense though. In the second episode, they've got an entire team on site at the hotel, they've got an agent working there as a maid (and she's sleeping with the hotel owner or something), but they need him to place a bug in the guy's room and break into his safe? Why?

Also, we are only in episode two and he already twice didn't get made because the person, who could blow his cover, happened to be drunk. That's... pretty lazy.

Maybe they don't want her at risk to blow her cover? Also he is there to get close to Edel and would have been on site either way, so why not use him for those tasks? Also I believe spying actually is much more mundane than TV would have us normally believe. I bet people came away 80% of the time because everybody was drunk back in Bonn, lol.

Nah, it's valid criticism. Either way though it's no elaborate spy thriller but more drama and costume piece imo.

I did enjoy this week's episode quite a lot. Probably my favorite out of the three.

Sloane

Banned
Maybe they don't want her at risk to blow her cover? Also he is there to get close to Edel and would have been on site either way, so why not use him for those tasks?
Still seems weird. The maid has access to all the hotel rooms, her cover feels less important than his (he's the aide to a general!), and if they had discovered the bug, who would have been their first suspect? Probably the hotel staff.

I'm starting to think the show just isn't for me, which is weird because I love both The Americans and the Cold War setting.

But, ugh, I really hate how little the writers think the spy stuff through and I find it almost "offensive" how they portray the Stasi. The Stasi was a scary huge-ass apparatus but so far the show pretends it's just three slightly quirky people sitting in a room, having no access to IBM computers because Reagan or something. Really? And at the same time, (unless I've missed something) the protagonist can buy a random microphone from a guy in Belgium, put it under a desk and it magically starts transmitting from Brussels to Berlin? I mean...

I guess, I could suspend some of my disbelief and overlook some plotholes if the drama was working but to me it's really not. Asking the guy to sleep with an innocent woman to gain access to her boss' office or whatever should have been a huge step in his development. He should have hesitated, he should have had a bad conscience, both because of the woman he's using and because of his kind-of girlfriend at home, but, nope, there's virtually nothing.

Also, what happened to the piano playing? That was a big issue in the pilot, the cast is off by now, but I guess they have forgotten about that?

I don't know, I think there is a decent show in there somewhere, but I'm not sure anymore they're going to find it.

I just watched episode 1 last night, and I don't know how to feel about it. Has a lot of potential and I like the premise, but the execution feels a bit off. It isn't stylish enough to play this whole thing off as a sort of commentary of the East/West Germany relations during the 80s, at least in the way the trailer bills it, and it isn't serious enough to act like a spy drama. It sort of falls in line with something like Goodbye Lenin, which itself wasn't bad, but I'd have to keep watching to see if it's able to handle the East/West juxtaposition as well as GL did.

Ok so I watched the other two and I think I'm starting to like it a bit more, though it's starting to feel a bit episodic with each episode following the same basic layout: introduction of the episode's problem, Rauch is contacted, some stuff with the General's son, Rauch works his way into position, super uber tense moment where Rauch might get caught! (gasp) and then he's fine and the deed is done, and the episode ends.

Overall though, I think with introducing Annette focused subplots the show has been able to contrast the two cultures nicely--the luxuries and overall "goodness" of the West vs. the "badness" of the East with the mother in pain, and breaking the law, and Annette being unfaithful and being pregnant with another man's child (because we all know it's Thomas's).

Still seems weird. The maid has access to all the hotel rooms, her cover feels less important than his (he's the aide to a general!), and if they had discovered the bug, who would have been their first suspect? Probably the hotel staff.

I'm starting to think the show just isn't for me, which is weird because I love both The Americans and the Cold War setting.

But, ugh, I really hate how little the writers think the spy stuff through and I find it almost "offensive" how they portray the Stasi. The Stasi was a scary huge-ass apparatus but so far the show pretends it's just three slightly quirky people sitting in a room, having no access to IBM computers because Reagan or something. Really? And at the same time, (unless I've missed something) the protagonist can buy a random microphone from a guy in Belgium, put it under a desk and it magically starts transmitting from Brussels to Berlin? I mean...

I guess, I could suspend some of my disbelief and overlook some plotholes if the drama was working but to me it's really not. Asking the guy to sleep with an innocent woman to gain access to her boss' office or whatever should have been a huge step in his development. He should have hesitated, he should have had a bad conscience, both because of the woman he's using and because of his kind-of girlfriend at home, but, nope, there's virtually nothing.

Also, what happened to the piano playing? That was a big issue in the pilot, the cast is off by now, but I guess they have forgotten about that?

I don't know, I think there is a decent show in there somewhere, but I'm not sure anymore they're going to find it.

The Stasi are shown as this overly paranoid organization, which (with my limited knowledge of who they were) is very much in line with how they spied on their own citizens. The innocent woman thing didn't seem like a big deal to me, it's a spy drama and it was shown last episode that he had already initiated the interaction, perhaps he actually does have some feelings for her.

He broke his finger initially, which is why nobody bothered with asking him; a quick Google search online shows that some finger injuries can prevent a piano player from ever playing again; that's at least my assumption as to how they're getting around that hurdle.

Sloane

Banned
The Stasi are shown as this overly paranoid organization, which (with my limited knowledge of who they were) is very much in line with how they spied on their own citizens.
The Stasi might not have been the KGB but it still seems to me like they're portraying them way too lightly. The shooting of the real Stamm is shown as quickly as possible in that "fun" montage in the pilot and other than that they seem almost harmless so far, in a "They don't even know how to use a floppy disk, lol" kind of way.

The innocent woman thing didn't seem like a big deal to me, it's a spy drama
Then what's his development gonna be though? He didn't want to go to West Germany, he didn't want to become a spy, yet he does all tasks with relative ease (like cracking the safe in episode 2 or supposedly off-screen macgyvering the mic in episode 3) and doesn't seem to mind using other people when he's being told to do so. I don't get why they would just shrug it off, shouldn't this be his internal conflict? Seems weird.

The Stasi might not have been the KGB but it still seems to me like they're portraying them way too lightly. The shooting of the real Stamm is shown as quickly as possible in that "fun" montage in the pilot and other than that they seem almost harmless so far, in a "They don't even know how to use a floppy disk, lol" kind of way.

Then what's his development gonna be though? He didn't want to go to West Germany, he didn't want to become a spy, yet he does all tasks with relative ease (like cracking the safe in episode 2 or supposedly off-screen macgyvering the mic in episode 3) and doesn't seem to mind using other people when he's being told to do so. I don't get why they would just shrug it off, shouldn't this be his internal conflict? Seems weird.

I always felt that by the end of it like most undercover dramas the internal conflict is going to end up being which Germany he gives his allegiance to, the West with all of its decadence, new friends, and (probably) a new girlfriend in the form of his boss's daughter, or the East with the ties it has to his family and his old girlfriend.

Niraj

New episode tonight:

Northern Wedding

When the bug is found in Linda's desk, NATO is placed on high alert. Linda arrives to visit Martin, who scrambles to turn her loyalties around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom