• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deutschland 83 - spy thriller set in 1980's Germany -SundanceTV - [S2 to air in 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
that was fucking intense. such a great show, i think this is my favorite show of all time, it was able to kind of interweave the style that the opening and the trailer promised with cold war tension, though i think it kind of moved away from the style part by the end of it.

breaking bad might be critically acclaimed but it's nowhere near as satisfying or entertaining as deutschland 83 was.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Solid ending to what has a pretty strong season overall.

Really hope Deutschland 86 and 89 end up happening.

Same here even though I have no idea what an '86 would look like after the events of this week's finale.

Hope this does well enough in Germany.

Such a strange decision to air the show in the US weeks/months ahead of Germany.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This will premiere on November 26 in Germany and the UK in January on Channel 4. I'm still boggled as to how the US got this so far ahead of every other country.

Also, Hulu has streaming rights to this in the US, but they don't have it up for streaming yet.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
This will premiere on November 26 in Germany and the UK in January on Channel 4. I'm still boggled as to how the US got this so far ahead of every other country.

Also, Hulu has streaming rights to this in the US, but they don't have it up for streaming yet.

Huh, that is kind of strange. Well, I hope it can get a decent audience. Hope to see some more people on this board watch it at least.

danielcw

EDIT: for those who missed it: first 2 episodes on RTL's video website http://www.nowtv.de/rtl/deutschland-83/list/aktuell

Ratings for the premiere in Germany on RTL are in:

Episode 1: 3.19M 15.7% 14.6 %
Episode 2: 2.86M 14.1% 13.3 %

first number: all viewers in millions, ages 3 and upwards, live + same day
second number: share in the demo, ages 14 to 49, live only (brackets: viewers in demo)
third number: same as above, but ages 14 to 59, the "expanded demo"

RTL is the leader in the ages 14 to 49 demographic and had an average share of 13.8% in October, so the 2nd episode is just above average.
RTL won both demographics on that day.

In the demo they lost to "The Voice Of Germany", but it was close, just 10 000 viewers less (1.74M).
In total viewers, episode 1 was ranked 9th most watched of the day, episode 2 was ranked 11th.
Episode 1 won in the expanded demo.

Not a glorious start, but some (expected) wins. If the viewer loss from episode 1 to episode 2 continues, we could be below RTL's average next week.
That's the curse of being shown on the market leader, I guess :(

(I am not sure, whether the numbers are just for Germany, or for all of Europe)

sources:
http://www.dwdl.de/zahlenzentrale/ (content changes every day)
http://www.quotenmeter.de/n/82274/deutschland-83-startet-im-gruenen-bereich-aber

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Deutschland 83's international success — the show has sold wide, including to Hulu, Channel 4 in the U.K. and across Europe — may make domestic ratings less important. Bauer told German trade magazine Blickpunkt Film that UFA and its partners could bankroll a second season in any case.

Wolf Bauer, head of Deutschland 83 producer UFA, said a second season of the show, to be called Deutschland 86, could been greenlit, even if the series does not deliver mega ratings at home.

The second series would picks up with its hero, Martin Rauch (Jonas Nay) who returns to Germany after years abroad. Jorg Winger told Blickpunkt that around “half the cast” of the first season will return for Deutschland 86.

Source

germany pls. best show on us tv and that's fucking saying something

any good?

show or the ratings? no clue about the ratings, show's the best i've seen, though that's very subjective and doesn't include a lot of shows people care about (just some walking dead seasons, got, breaking bad, the wire, arrow, flash, supergirl, some gotham, orphan black, daredevil, jessica jones, few others).

it has a 100% on RT if that means anything to you.

Metal B

As a German nothing is more boring, then seeing a series in the DDR setting (or World War 2). Even if it is pretty good, in my opinion the time line is very exhausted and i already saw enough of it. But if German TV production finally become good, this would be a great change of the formula.

danielcw

Ratings in Germany went down for episode 3 and 4

EDIT: numbers will follow

2 observations I forgot last week:
The RTL broadcast has a differnet title sequence than the Sundcance TV broadcast. I assume RTL created it on their own.
They kept the English epsiode titles

Vert boil

Only watched the first two so far, it's been quite a while since I've seen such a dramatic drop in production quality. Shit fell off a cliff.

The pilot was okay but the second episode was hilariously bad. Not sure if I want it to improve into something worthy or get worse so I can have a good chuckle.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have no idea how accurate this is, but Wikipedia says that Deutschland 83 "has since become the most popular foreign-language drama in the history of British television." which is an impressive feat if true.

kharma45

International sales and ratings were good, but the ratings in Germany were abysmal.

Pity.

I have no idea how accurate this is, but Wikipedia says that Deutschland 83 "has since become the most popular foreign-language drama in the history of British television." which is an impressive feat if true.

Probably quite. I can't think of any other foreign language dramas that aren't say on BBC 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom