• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Richard Marks talks about VR and Project Morpheus (Interaction Technologies)

ZhugeEX

Banned
Project-Morpheus-banner.png

Hi all,

Dr Richard Marks is one of my favourite people working at Sony, I've been following his work for a long time and am really impressed with his work with eyetoy, PlayStation Move and now the work he's been doing with Morpheus. I'm creating this thread to raise awareness of VR and the creative minds behind Project Morpheus as well as so we can see what work has been done so far. I've been interested in the future of VR and love watching videos like the ones below so thought I would share.

In the two videos below we have him talking about VR in general, Project Morpheus and the future of gaming. The first video is an interview with Richard Marks and other game creators who talk about their experience with Morpheus and what we can expect. The second video is Richard Marks talking about his role and what he's done over the years, the previous PlayStation interactive technologies such as Eyetoy & Move + the future of VR and how it can be used. There are some really cool tech demos on display here and this is one to watch.

I fully recommend watching both the videos to get a better understanding but as the total run time of the videos is over 2 hours I have made some notes below you can read. Please notes that the videos are more about concepts for VR and not necessarily new information on Morpheus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0dLnqKbOvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_X9yLkK5gA

Also this video from GDC 2015 is very cool- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2cj4MsbLgo along with this video which talks about Richard Marks role with Morpheus- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOhTqGnPosU

• Morpheus is a new way to play games and is one of the futures of gaming. A lot of tech like the tracking tech is stuff they've worked on before (such as in Move/eyetoy) and they are bringing all this tech together to create an ultimate VR headset. Devs are still experimenting and bringing new things to the platform each day.
  • Marks said that any world can be bought into VR but it's about tailoring the inputs the player makes to bring that world alive.
  • Marks talked about how in VR, just being in the world space can be an experience in itself and there doesn't need to be too many complicated inputs to get the full experience. Therefore anyone can play the game and the controls that are there come naturally to the player.
  • Your brain plays tricks on you when in a VR world which can help improve the experience. For example, when a monster in a game gets close to your face you can start to sweat and feel the heat even though it's not real.
  • Inputs can come from Morpheus itself by tilting your head, Dualshock4 through motion and traditional input, and through PS Move. Custom interfaces can be created for games in the same way that we saw custom controller products for Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
  • Social experiences can be created in Morpheus. One example is "Monster Escape" for PS4 where one player has the Morpheus headset and is a monster running around a city. This person see's first person view of the city. 4 other players use DS4 on the tv screen and can see the whole area and are trying to run away.
  • Marks said that as Sony is a consumer electronics company they wanted the best hardware specs but also the best design and ergonomics. That's why the Morpheus is beautiful design, robust and lightweight. The headset feels just right on the face.
  • Morpheus is good for developers and consumers. For consumers it works with PS4 so it's a plug and play device. For developers there are tools out for PS4 development and they can optimise for the device and platform.
  • More than 17 games were demoed at E3 and there are plenty more in development which will be unveiled in the future.
  • Games is the focus for VR first but Sony are already working with other industries to make Morpheus work for non gaming related applications. For example a live concert could be attended using the Morpheus headset.
  • Sony is working closely with developers and tech companies to figure out how to create new experiences for VR that can be bought to PlayStation.
  • "Presence" is the buzz word being used for immersion that VR can bring. Developers have found that a game does not need to have photo-realistic graphics to bring immersion, it can be a cartoon style world for example.
  • Video games incorporate many technology areas such as Graphics, Processing, Display, Input and Network. Morpheus works with all these technology areas to offer unique experiences whilst pushing technology.
  • Marks wants Morpheus to have inputs where there is a direct cause and effect, an action leads to a reaction. Rather than have a static experience where you press a button to move the story/experience on.
  • The PlayStation Camera for PS4 is excellent at tracking coloured LED's like the ones found on PS Move, Dualshock 4 and Morpheus headset. This was something the specifically designed the camera to do.
  • The PlayStation camera knows where you are looking and this is great for developers who want to create certain inputs based around where you are looking. It also gives the player a magical feeling of power and control and it is intuitive to understand.
  • An example given is that when you look at a certain part of the screen it can trigger a response.e.g walking into a shop and looking at something can trigger the shopkeeper to ask if you want to buy it.
  • What is key to gaming with morpheus is the feeling of presence through hand and body awareness and environmental response when playing the games. As is head tracking and surroundings.
  • There are many inputs to VR such as abstract controllers such as gamepad or mouse and keyboard, spatial controls like PS Move, and literal controls like head tracking/movement.
  • PS Move and dualshock 4 allows direct physical interaction with the virtual world. Visuals in the world can replicate the PS Move design so it feels like you are holding the item in game e.g flashlight/weapon.
  • PS Move/dualshock4 can be used for moving around the world as a way to stop motion sickness and to make it feel like you are moving yourself increasing immersion in the game. e.g pinch to zoom or teleport by pointing at a spot.
  • World in miniature concept is good way to play with Morpheus. You can see the whole map by looking down into it. E.g the Minecraft demo Microsoft showed with hololens.
  • Hand tracking can be done in many different ways, either through current controllers like Move and DS4 but there are other options like depth camera for gesture actions or even gloves.
  • Controller inputs are more robust and precise and provide good feedback. traditional button inputs are easier and can feel more natural.
  • Controller-less inputs like hand tracking feels more natural and gives the player a visual representation of their actual movements which increases immersion.
  • Body tracking, voice input and haptics can be used in VR to increase immersion and presence. e.g kicking/crouching, voice recognition/commands, controller vibration as a cue.
  • 3D audio is a great tool within VR to control the experience in a way to guide the user. By hearing a sound from behind them it will cause a player to turn around and interact with the place the sound came from.
  • Improved interaction is key to VR market growth to provide a stronger sense of presence and grounding so that deeper and more compelling experiences can be created for players and to encourage shared experiences through personalised cues.
  • There is no mass market VR product so Richard is hopeful to see where VR goes in the future. Richard noted that because VR is new he see's people experimenting more and spending more times in games exploring and viewing the area rather than running through the game like a gamer would on a normal console game.
  • Unity and Unreal are fully committed to Morpheus with full plugin support. It's easy to create a basic VR game fairly quickly. The difficulty comes down to immersion and presence.
  • The audience for Morpheus should be everybody. (Also the PlayRoom will launch with Morpheus)

Untitled-1-Recovered_zpsciskrwbi.jpg

Richard Marks directs the PlayStation Magic Lab in Sony Computer Entertainment, which focuses on using technology to explore new interactive experiences. He studied avionics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology before getting his PhD at Stanford University in the Aerospace Robotics Lab. His thesis was in conjunction with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in the area of visual sensing for automatic control of an underwater robot. He then joined Teleos Research, a computer vision start-up that was later acquired by Autodesk. Marks has worked at PlayStation since 1999 when, inspired by the unveiling of PlayStation 2, he joined Sony Computer Entertainment R&D to investigate the use of live video input for gaming. He is credited as the creator of the EyeToy and PlayStation Eye cameras. For several years, he managed the R&D Special Projects group, exploring man-machine interfaces and physical simulation research. He led the development of PlayStation Move and contributed to the design of the PlayStation 4 camera and DualShock4. Most recently, he has been involved with Project Morpheus, PlayStation’s virtual reality technology.

Crayon

Thanks Zhuge. Ill watch these when i get home. Morpheus will be my first vr and im getting hungry for more info.

ZhugeEX

Banned
He actually works at Media Molecule now.

This was brought to light during this past E3 when a game-journo asked Alex Evans if 'Dreams' is a Morpheus title. To which he replied something along the lines of 'Well we're not ready to make such announcements but Mikahliov now works in our studio so...wink wink...nudge nudge....."

Oh cool, didn't know that. I think it was fairly obvious that MM's new game would be Move + Morpheus related and that seems to solidify it.

cRIPticon

I've known Richard for 15 years now and I can honestly say, he is one of the most brilliant, nicest and forward thinking person I have ever worked with.

His input and impact in game technologies is greater than most know. Massive props to Richard!

stryke

Games is the focus for VR first but Sony are already working with other industries to make Morpheus work for non gaming related applications. For example a live concert could be attended using the Morpheus headset.

They need to be careful here. I'm not sure how good the fidelity is but people are already accomplishing this just with their smart phones.

Dazza

He actually works at Media Molecule now.

This was brought to light during this past E3 when a game-journo asked Alex Evans if 'Dreams' is a Morpheus title. To which he replied something along the lines of 'Well we're not ready to make such announcements but Mikahliov now works in our studio so...wink wink...nudge nudge....."

OMG well that makes perfect sense, with VR no one is quite sure what sorts of experiences will work best, what better than tonnes of user created content, to pioneer new ground

stryke

Can you expand on this?

I only discovered this recently myself but it's possible to watch VR stuff on youtube. Conan recently went to Comic Con and they had a 360 camera for people with VR headsets to watch his show. Just have a look at this video, enable VR mode and if you have that cheap, cardboard headset then you can watch it in VR.

I don't have the cardboard thingy so I'm not sure how the quality is but if it's enough for people in general it might be hard to convince them that they need something better/dedicated like Morpheus.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I only discovered this recently myself but it's possible to watch VR stuff on youtube. Conan recently went to Comic Con and they had a 360 camera for people with VR headsets to watch his show. Just have a look at this video, enable VR mode and if you have that cheap, cardboard headset then you can watch it in VR.

I don't have the cardboard thingy so I'm not sure how the quality is but if it's enough for people in general it might be hard to convince them that they need something better/dedicated like Morpheus.

I get your point.

But you have to remember that Morpheus is a gaming first device. The PlayStation 4 is also a gaming first device. In order for Morpheus to even work it needs to be hooked up to a PlayStation 4. Just look at the PlayStation camera, the majority of people already have a webcam for video chat on their PC but PlayStation camera purchases have been made in order to use the functions in gaming first activities such as PlayRoom and Twitch streams.

Morpheus will be available to an install base of almost 40 million users by the time it launches at the end of H1 2016. The majority of that install base will have bought the PlayStation 4 as primarily a gaming device and so that is a big market for Sony to tap into.

There will always be competitor products available but if Sony are able to get the price right, the gaming experiences right and the marketing right then all the other stuff is just a value add and not an actual selling point. Sony have made it clear that Morpheus will be about the games and everything else comes later.

I'm not too optimistic about VR myself as right now I don't see it doing much better than the original eyetoy. However I'm not putting anything in writing until Sony talk more about Morpheus before launch. What I do know though is that the other VR experiences available don't work on PS4 where as Morpheus is exclusive to PlayStation. That alone is a compelling reason to buy the product over the others, as is software and Sony have plenty of unique experiences in the pipeline to support their platform. I do understand what you say about how people with smartphones will use VR on their own. But Netflix on PC/Mobile hasn't stopped people buying a PS4 and watching Netflix on that.

cakefoo

Google Cardboard is rough. For a quick sample of VR, it's fine, but it's not a mass-market-friendly solution.

kyser73

I personally haven't used cardboard but from what I remember of the gaffers who have its exactly as you'd xpect - cheap&dirty VR that is only really good for fixed viewing rather than anything more involving.

Might as well say this here as well - during VRJam, Palmer was judging a competition of GearVR games & apps and came away with a tweet saying he had a splitting headache from the sub-optimal framers tea. I think one of the best things about Morpheus is the chance for it to be a fully curated & certified ecosystem where Sony can QA games for framerate, motion sickness etc.

I think this where Oculus have the right idea about their 'exclusive' games too - I'm Al for as free an ecosystem as possible, but not where that freedom can lead to compromised outcomes that in the case of VR might seriously damage the medium as it develops.

The last thing any VR fan wants are endless stories of severe motion sickness, people getting PTSD from horror or war games and so on. Again - not saying I don't want to see those types of games, but can you imagine a fully immersive gaming sequence like landing at Omaha beach on D-Day or being ambushed in pitch darkness in some Vietnamese jungle? I suspect that well done not very one would find those experiences thrilling, but rather terrifying.

My mom used to really be into Richard Marx.

But in all seriousness... I had no idea he was a doctor as well as a fantastic musician.

I'll have to watch those videos when I'm back from vacation.

One thing I'd like to know is whether or not Morpheus can be used as a standard, non VR display. That would be a great feature for those who want to game but don't want to hog the the television.

Edit: also if this is what we can expect Morpheus games to look like going forward then all is well.

For all the awesome stuff Marks and mikhaelov and their team are always working on, I feel like SCE has no idea how to really use them. The move was the most sophisticated motion controller available, but sony couldn't figure out how to implement it as a successful product. Same thing for the PS Eye (at the time at least) and the eye toy. Always struck me that it must be frustrating for these guys - they're legitimate tech innovators but the ideas never really blossom the way they deserve to. Hopefully VR is different but the track record is certainly damning

Slash

Banned
Thanks for the links, some cool stuff in there. Why do i feel better about Morpheus then i do the Rift?! Hmmm

ZhugeEX

Banned
For all the awesome stuff Marks and mikhaelov and their team are always working on, I feel like SCE has no idea how to really use them. The move was the most sophisticated motion controller available, but sony couldn't figure out how to implement it as a successful product. Same thing for the PS Eye (at the time at least) and the eye toy. Always struck me that it must be frustrating for these guys - they're legitimate tech innovators but the ideas never really blossom the way they deserve to. Hopefully VR is different but the track record is certainly damning

Ya know, I'd agree with this as well. There are a lot of times where Marks has introduced something that hasn't become a product or has been picked up late. The Move for example, started development back during the PS2 era but was never bought out until Sony wanted something to counter the Wii/Kinect. And depth camera tracking was something that was interesting too but never took off.

Yes I'm joking. I can't watch the videos right now, but wanted to make sure I remembered this thread later.

Got it haha.

Circinus

I like him a lot as well. He seems like such a nice, knowledgeable, smart guy.

He definitely has an impressive resume as well.

Anyway, I like what I'm hearing from Richard Marks on VR / Morpheus. Everything he's saying makes sense; I completely agree with him on his views on VR.

Great to know that they already have developed a social local multiplayer VR experience as well. Should show the skeptics that VR can be social as well.

A couple of things I'd like to know though:

- Is there a chance that Project Morpheus will be compatible with other video sources than PS4 in the future? I think if Sony Computer Entertainment, and Sony as a consumer electronics company want to aim for really high marketshare and wide appeal then they should really consider to aim broader in VR beyond just video games on PS4.

- Will regular video / video games work on Morpheus in a regular display mode (non-VR) like the Sony HMZ personal viewer? (like a virtual cinema)

- I'm curious, is the Morpheus HMD developed, designed, engineered just by SCEA Magic Lab R&D, or did they work on it collaboration with SCE WWS, SCE Japan design team, Sony (Electronics), Sony R&D?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wow, I didn't know the EyeToy camera had a LED in it so it could be used for tracking retro-reflective surfaces like fingers on a glove.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wow, I didn't know the EyeToy camera had a LED in it so it could be used for tracking retro-reflective surfaces like fingers on a glove.

Yeh, It's pretty cool what Eyetoy was capable of or even what it could be capable of. It was pretty much Kinect before Kinect.

Hexa

- Will regular video / video games work on Morpheus in a regular display mode (non-VR) like the Sony HMZ personal viewer? (like a virtual cinema)

Yes. I can't find a link, but they confirmed a while ago that it can do this.

Oppo

There are things I like – some I really like – about all 3 implementations, but somehow I feel like Sony's approach is the most straightforward and realistic. These guys really know what they are doing, I feel like they have been waiting around for tech to catch up.

The Oculus half-moon controllers, and the crazy Vive controllers, are very impressive but I feel like they are maybe just a bit too future-forward for the next 2 years. I would be happy to be proven wrong on that. But the Move has enough linkage with the Wii Remote in the public consciousness that I feel people will grasp that faster than anything.

I have a current gig that gives me access to the Morpheus so I'm hoping to give that more of a whirl very soon.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
As Marks said in the lecture, the tech from all the big contenders is good enough that the conversation needs to go from tech to design.

In a different interview he said the hardware could launch now, but there is just isn't enough on it to play.

viveks86

Fascinating! That comment about coughing from cigarette smoke has me very intrigued. Didn't know about headmaster either, which looks cool

I really hope Sony is serious about nurturing Morpheus even if it doesn't sell gangbusters in its first year. I hope they have more than a handful of studios working on content for it.

Top Bottom