• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT IV breaks 600k worldwide, Atlus Best Collection version announced

FluxWaveZ

Atlus has announced that Shin Megami Tensei IV, released in Japan in May 2013 and NA in July 2013, has sold over 600k copies worldwide.

I believe the latest number we have for the sales only in Japan is this:
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV # <RPG> (Atlus) {2013.05.23} (¥6.980) - 4.250 / 262.150 (188.562 <80,14%>)
So around 262k copies in Japan. I haven't looked into WW numbers for previous SMT mainline games, but this seems pretty good. Possibly the most successful SMT game yet.

Also, there's gonna be an "Atlus Best Collection" of SMT IV in Japan on October 8, 2015, for 2,980 yen.

&#8212; Twitter

Vylash

CK4-gUlUkAEL2T2.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Atlus_jp/status/625506124330962945

Price for the new version is 2,980 yen and comes out on October 8th

Mory Dunz

The other thread has the JPN number

Atlus has announced that Shin Megami Tensei IV, released in Japan in May 2013 and NA in July 2013, has sold over 600k copies worldwide.

I believe the latest number we have for the sales only in Japan is this:

So around 262k copies in Japan. I haven't looked into WW numbers for previous SMT mainline games, but this seems pretty good. Possibly the most successful SMT game yet.

Also, there's gonna be an "Atlus Best Collection" of SMT IV in Japan on October 8, 2015, for 2,980 yen.

— Twitter

I'm a bit mixed on the game. Cool ideas even if the story is the worst and the overworld feels really mediocre.
Cool that it sold well, though. Got it with that club Nintendo deal that was a promotional stunt for SMT x FE

That strikes me as decidedly high for the type of game it is.

It also must have had some combination of great long tail sales in the US/strong sales in Europe.

262k in Japan, last reported numbers in the US were right around 100k. Digital could make up some part of that, but it almost certainly must have a pretty good combination of more recent US sales plus good sales in Europe.

I guess Atlus puts it on sale on the eshop enough that I can believe that it's sold a pretty decent amount digitally in the US.

At any rate, they're pretty great sales for this type of game. Definitely the best selling mainline Shin Megami Tensei game.

Fandangox

Didn't Nintendo market this for them for a while as well? It got a lot of new exposure for the brand.

They had that promotion with Fire Emblem Awakening where getting both games and registering on CN would give you a $30 eShop code.

Halabane

That is surprising. Wasn't it also the first one to have the 49 price or what is even higher? Can't remember if I bought a CE edition.

Probably what also help is that Atlus is probably one of the few who has very aggressive pricing on the 3ds eshop.

jgminto

That seems like a nice amount, hopefully the wait for the next mainline game won't be so long. Especially with P5 generating new 3D assets for the overall series.

I'm happy. I really hope we get a new SMT spinoff now that Persona 5 is coming to the PS4 and they will have a new catalogue of demon models to use. I'd settle for a new DDS or Raidou game even

jzbluz

I enjoyed the game, although I still haven't gotten two of the endings, so I'm happy it ended doing so well. Hopefully we get SMTV soon with better production values.

randomkid

praise YHVH, not having to rely on japan means we'll never need to see the alice bikini dlc that would be needed to keep the series going over there

Awesome! Glad it did well! SMTIV is a freaking masterpiece! I fucking love it! I eagerly await SMTV, no matter how far in the future that may be.

SoulUnison

Banned
It deserves even more. On the eShop it'll have legs for years.
On my third playthrough and I still havn't seen so many things there are to see.

I haven't even gotten the Neutral path yet - I can't stand to look at a guide for the game, but the conditions are strict and kind of unknowable.

TreIII

I'm happy. I really hope we get a new SMT spinoff now that Persona 5 is coming to the PS4 and they will have a new catalogue of demon models to use. I'd settle for a new DDS or Raidou game even

Spin off would be nice, but I think SMT IV makes enough of a case that we maybe could stand to get another sequel. If Fire Emblem was able to do it, why not go for a "SMT V"?

Hikami

Awesome, played it myself earlier this year and it became my favorite 3DS game. Can't wait to see what next SMT game they make since it'll probably use P5 assets.

Totakeke

Nice, more SMT mainline games please.

I'm struggling to get through Devil Survivor 2 because of the characters and the dialogue.

random25

Happy for Atlus! Really great game that deserve those great sales numbers. Bring on SMT V please. Or better yet a 3rd Devil Survivor.

Totakeke

If the Fire Emblem promotion helped, I'd wonder if that was part of the reason we're getting #FE with probably higher production values than what I would have expected.

I consider this game in a three way tie with The Witcher 3 and Xenobalde as the best RPG ever made. 600,000 isn't nearly enough. Game is outstanding.

I don't mean to be dense but does this mean the numbers only include Japan and North America or all territories? IIRC the game was only released digitally in Europe.

Busaiku

That's honestly much lower than I expected.
Persona 4 Golden shipped over 700k way back in 2013 and this had higher debuts in Japan and the US (had worse legs in Japan though), so I expected it to at least beat that.

DNAbro

That's honestly much lower than I expected.
Persona 4 Golden shipped over 700k way back in 2013 and this had higher debuts in Japan and the US (had worse legs in Japan though), so I expected it to at least beat that.

Persona is more popular by quite a bit.

Top Bottom