• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT IV breaks 600k worldwide, Atlus Best Collection version announced

a new entry vs an enhanced remake of persona 4? higher 3ds install base?
i do agree that persona is more popular but there are reasons for that expectation

In fact, there are reasons to not have these expectations, especially when Europe got screwed with SMTIV. Say the game had a physical release here, even more with a translation, it would have sold more.

Voras

I'm glad to hear that it has been doing well, I really enjoyed it. I took advantage of the FE:A + SMT IV deal and used it to pick up Animal Crossing. I'm curious what Atlus has planned for SMT V, if anything yet. It seems like it's been a while since any SMT news has come up outside of Persona and SMT remakes.

Mortemis

Banned
Awesome, game deserves more and more. Definitely one of my favorite 3ds games.

a new entry vs an enhanced remake of persona 4? higher 3ds install base?
i do agree that persona is more popular but there are reasons for that expectation

Which sold better, P4G or the original P4?

Oregano

Wow between this, Project X Zone, Bravely Default and Fire Emblem I think we can say Square Enix was justified in not localising their 3DS games. There is just no market for JRPGs on the 3DS.

They should make SMTV a big budget PS4 game and target the west. It could sell as well as The Elder Scrolls or The Witcher.

Wow between this, Project X Zone, Bravely Default and Fire Emblem I think we can say Square Enix was justified in not localising their 3DS games. There is just no market for JRPGs on the 3DS.

They should make SMTV a big budget PS4 game and target the west. It could sell as well as The Elder Scrolls or The Witcher.

Cant tell if its sarcastic or not.:p

KingBroly

Banned

This is a very funny joke. You are a very funny person.

marmoka

Banned
My personal 2014 GOTY!! Congrats Atlus!!

How about bringing a free HD version of the game for those who preorder SMTvsFE or Persona 5? I would love it.

Rymuth

I don't get it...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
seems a good number, honestly. I bought it at its firts deal in EU, and I still have to fully enjoy it but it seemed really well done.

bobawesome

Nice. I've put in about 110 hours and think it's well deserved. I was hoping this version included extra content but I guess not.
I wonder what P4G would have done if it had been on 3DS instead.

I don't even want to think about how bad it would look on the 3DS. I can feel my eyes sizzling at the very thought.
I still would've played it an ungodly amount of time.

Nice. I've put in about 110 hours and think it's well deserved. I was hoping this version included extra content but I guess not.

I don't even want to think about how bad it would look on the 3DS. I can feel my eyes sizzling at the very thought.
I still would've played it an ungodly amount of time.

Eh, Persona 4 isn't even a looker to begin with.

MLH

oh you.

But seriously, Square Enix fucked up by not localising their games. DQVII&VIII might be announced at Gamescom but with possible releases so late in the 3DS' life, sales might be affected and be much lower than if they were released on time and at the consoles peak.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Ōkami;173075489 said:
Yes they were doing some promotion that if you bought SMTIV and FE:A you'd get something from the eshop iirc.

As people said they did a promotion based off of SMTXFE hype at the time.

Lernaean

Banned

Best post in a long while.

Nakho

My point was that I doubt it would need to be downgraded, even for 3DS.

There would probably have to be some sort of compromise like P3P. Don't really believe the 3DS would be powerful enough to run it as it is.

Also, not sure if it would sell more than on Vita. Maybe so, but there was a lot of exposure gained from being a star in the Vita's line-up, instead of just another pretty good game on the 3DS.

Stalk

Still a wee bit upset that there was no physical European edition, and the massive delay, but still enjoyed the game a great deal. The price point was just right for the EU as well I felt as well. Good to see it well received though!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wonder when will this series be returning to console...
After Persona 5 selling like hotcake?

When #FE sell like hotcakes, they will release SMTV, where in post-apocalyptic tokyo, the chaos and freedom factions are represented by the indie J-pop faction who are trying to break free from the big corporate idol faction, where they are merging demons and idols together in order to subjugate the human race.

MLH

When #FE sell like hotcakes, they will release SMTV, where in post-apocalyptic tokyo, the chaos and freedom factions are represented by the indie J-pop faction who are trying to break free from the big corporate idol faction, where they are merging demons and idols together in order to subjugate the human race.

Sounds good.

Seriously, I don't give a fuck, that sounds different from the story re-telling that is the SMT mainline.

Shengar

Fusing an idol with Mara?
I'm in.

mclem

I enjoyed the game, although I still haven't gotten two of the endings, so I'm happy it ended doing so well. Hopefully we get SMTV soon with better production values.

There's a problem with that:

HkBzXpm.jpg

Clearly this is the key to future success on Nintendo hardware - rip off things from ITV Saturday Morning kids' telly. There was a segment on SM:TV Live named "Splatoon", too.

I look forward to Animal Crossing: Chums. And Pikmin: Challenge Ant.

Dascu

This is not funny.

There would probably have to be some sort of compromise like P3P. Don't really believe the 3DS would be powerful enough to run it as it is.

Also, not sure if it would sell more than on Vita. Maybe so, but there was a lot of exposure gained from being a star in the Vita's line-up, instead of just another pretty good game on the 3DS.

P3P compromised were done due to space on UMDs.
3DS has enough guts to run a game such as P4, no doubt about that.
I mean, if it can run SMTIV...

Shengar

P3P compromised were done due to space on UMDs.
3DS has enough guts to run a game such as P4, no doubt about that.
I mean, if it can run SMTIV...
At least if we want to talk about how good the 3DS can handle 3D games, pick a more appropriate one.
Hint: Monster Hunter.

Given how many sales might have been at the $15 or €10 mark (happens often enough) I wonder how financially successful it was overall? Of course they would be aware of that so could adjust scope as appropriate. There is interest in the game which is good though.

Now it only needs a retail release in EU so I can play it.

Yes, I know it is never going to happen.
Its like €10 every other month on the eShop, I'd suggest to stop being a Luddite. Now had a physical release happened it would have been by those NISA Europe scumbags who would still have the eShop version for €40 and the physical version for not much cheaper and not exactly on top of the USA release either (going by the EO Untold 2 release dates). In that kind of situation we're better off without local publishers and physical versions (
yeah I am a tad bitter towards NISA Europe because they have managed to kill Etrian Oddysey for me more than me not liking what I've played of the first game did by how different their pricing policies are compared to Atlus USA and their $15 every other month, the ridiculous three use demo of EOIV didn't help either and I really hated from a PR point of view NISA Europe had the cheek to blame Nintendo too...then there was that time when they said EOIV "wasn't one of their games" so they couldn't put it on sale...got corrected said "got mixed up with SMTIV" but still never put EOIV on sale
).

Semajer

There's a problem with that:

HkBzXpm.jpg

Clearly this is the key to future success on Nintendo hardware - rip off things from ITV Saturday Morning kids' telly. There was a segment on SM:TV Live named "Splatoon", too.

I look forward to Animal Crossing: Chums. And Pikmin: Challenge Ant.

I can't wait for Wonkey Donkey Kong.

Acosta

I will buy 5 of those.

jwhit28

Even with its flaws, SMTIV is the 3DS game I enjoyed the most so far. You don't find RPGs that will kick you out into the overworked with such little direction and force you to explore like SMTIV anymore. With P5 using actual demon models for enemies, I'm convinced we will see at least one true SMT follow up on PS4.

Funny that I still havent gotten the game. I was waiting for it to come to Europe and once it came I wasnt bothered to get it. I would have imagine it selling more, but I guess it speaks of what a niche these whole series is unfortunately.

cj_iwakura

Id say its good but not better than 3. Its the easiest game in the series.

Yep. It had POTENTIAL to eclipse 3, but the questionable demon design and uneven difficulty holds it back.

It needed more cohesive design. That said, it's still a great game, with sparks of brilliance.

I hope this means it's going to hit other platforms, but I doubt it.

sörine

Banned
At least if we want to talk about how good the 3DS can handle 3D games, pick a more appropriate one.
Hint: Monster Hunter.
Tri (Wii) was much more technically demanding than P4 (PS2) and 3DS pulled off a conversion of that just fine.

Forget P4 though, if Atlus wants to do more 3DS ports I'd rather get SMT3 or more Devil Summoner games.

cj_iwakura

sörine;173090338 said:
Tri (Wii) was much more technically demanding than P4 (PS2) and 3DS pulled off a conversion of that just fine.

Forget P4 though, if Atlus wants to do more 3DS ports I'd rather get SMT3 or more Devil Summoner games.

I could see the original Devil Summoner and early SMTs working on the 3DS, but the PS2 era stuff would be natural on the Vita. Sadly I doubt that's going to happen either.

sörine

Banned
I could see the original Devil Summoner and early SMTs working on the 3DS, but the PS2 era stuff would be natural on the Vita. Sadly I doubt that's going to happen either.
At this point they'll just wait for NX for any additional PS2 ports probably. Vita seems purely like a Persona machine too. I don't see much chance for the SFC/PS1/Saturn games on 3DS either since nearly everything has already been ported across GBA/PSP/3DS now.

Jigorath

Banned
Huh, guess that's impressive but P5 is going to triple that number. How often does a spinoff surpass the mainline franchise?

Top Bottom