• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT IV breaks 600k worldwide, Atlus Best Collection version announced

Yawnier

Banned
I bought this game in late 2013 and still have not opened it, wanted to beat Persona 3 and Overclocked first. Soon...

Congrats to Atlus! With numbers like those here's hoping we don't have to wait as long for SMTV!

Not that I really mind, because I still haven't beaten IV yet.

That's honestly much lower than I expected.
Persona 4 Golden shipped over 700k way back in 2013 and this had higher debuts in Japan and the US (had worse legs in Japan though), so I expected it to at least beat that.

Persona has outpaced the main series since a while ago...

Hero

Persona 4 Golden shipped over 700k way back in 2013 and this had higher debuts in Japan and the US (had worse legs in Japan though), so I expected it to at least beat that.

Why on Earth would you expect SMT IV to outsell P4G?

random25

Main line SMT is a niche series compared to Persona since P3.

Busaiku

Persona is more popular by quite a bit.
Why on Earth would you expect SMT IV to outsell P4G?
Note how I said it debuted higher.
The legs are apparently much worse though (we know for sure in Japan), which is kind of surprising given the all the promotions. Though I guess it primarily sold early on due to the Fire Emblem promotion. I guess that was a good chunk of the buyers.

Mr. Tibbs

I bought a European digital copy. Absolutely loved it even though JRPG's aren't typically my thing (besides Anachronox). SMT IV has such an oppressive atmosphere mixed with addictive customisable mechanics. Glad to see it performed well for Atlus.

GamerJM

Banned
I bought the game mainly because of the Fire Emblem deal

Still haven't played it for more than an hour, though now I'm a fan of the series thanks to Persona 4 and Devil Survivor 2

Lynx_7

Persona is more popular by quite a bit.

But it was also a
n enhanced
rerelease versus an entirely new entry of what used to be Atlus' flagship series. I guess that just shows how much more popular Persona has become.

Good numbers either way, and I hope this means we won't have to wait so long for SMT V. It's hard to keep momentum going for your series if you release a new entry only once in a decade. I mean, come on, it shouldn't be that hard to push for more timely releases.

Hatchtag

Banned
Persona is probably the only game series spinoff to eclipse the main series when games in both series keep coming out.

Mario Kart has to come close in terms of sales. It absolutely destroys the 3D series in sales, and beat the 2D series on the Wii (came close on the DS, not sure if it did on the 3DS or Wii U).

Lynx_7

Mario Kart has to come close in terms of sales. It absolutely destroys the 3D series in sales, and beat the 2D series on the Wii (came close on the DS, not sure if it did on the 3DS or Wii U).

Mario Kart 7 did sell more than NSMB2 (and so did 3D Land), but last time Nintendo published any numbers NSMBU was still ahead of MK8, which isn't unexpected considering it was/is pretty much the default bundled game for the Wii U. So yeah, it's pretty close, but it doesn't eclipse the main series like Persona does to SMT.

Busaiku

Mario Kart 7 did sell more than NSMB2 (and so did 3D Land), but last time Nintendo published any numbers NSMBU was still ahead of MK8, which isn't unexpected considering it was/is pretty much the default bundled game for the Wii U. So yeah, it's pretty close, but it doesn't eclipse the main series like Persona does to SMT.
Mario Kart 8 shipments have exceeded New Super Mario Bros U.

I bought this game twice >.<

Physical on launch, digital when it was on one of the many Atlus sales for around $20, soo good to just always have it on the system.

Note how I said it debuted higher.
The legs are apparently much worse though (we know for sure in Japan), which is kind of surprising given the all the promotions. Though I guess it primarily sold early on due to the Fire Emblem promotion. I guess that was a good chunk of the buyers.
Why is it surprising? Mainline SMT simply doesn't have the appeal of Persona. I thought this was common knowledge by now after the Persona games outdid Nocturne back in the PS2 era. That was the reason for Atlus shifting focus to Persona, and you can clearly see this when looking at SMTIV vs P5. SMTIV had worse production values than its own predecessor for a reason. Also, don't forget the mess that happened with SMTIV in Europe. All in all, these are still pretty good numbers - and it has most likely done better than its own predecessor. You're thinking too much of Persona when looking at these numbers.

Busaiku

Why is it surprising? Mainline SMT simply doesn't have the appeal of Persona. I thought this was common knowledge by now after the Persona games outdid Nocturne back in the PS2 era. That was the reason for Atlus shifting focus to Persona, and you can clearly see this when looking at SMTIV vs P5. SMTIV had worse production values than its own predecessor for a reason. Also, don't forget the mess that happened with SMTIV in Europe. All in all, these are still pretty good numbers - and it has most likely done better than its own predecessor. You're thinking too much of Persona when looking at these numbers.
Not saying this is a poor showing, just that my expectations were higher given that it debuted higher and is in more popular hardware.
Yes, both series are niche, but again, I thought the higher debut and positive word of mouth could have at least kept it higher than this and at least on par with Persona 4 Golden.

Hero

If people can't figure out why Persona is more popular and has more appeal than SMT I'm not sure what to say

wmlk

It isn't that SMT IV performed poorly I think, it has more to do with how amazing P4G did on a platform like the Vita.

But yeah, I think you're underestimating Persona's popularity at this point. It has only grown since then.

Nakho

Not saying this is a poor showing, just that my expectations were higher given that it debuted higher and is in more popular hardware.
Yes, both series are niche, but again, I thought the higher debut and positive word of mouth could have at least kept it higher than this and at least on par with Persona 4 Golden.

That's OK, the budget for SMT IV was probably not a tenth of an actual 3D game like Persona 4. I'm sure Atlus is extatic upon these sales numbers.

OK, now let me dream of a SMT V in Persona V's engine, coupled with some three other spinoffs in the same engine, all for PS4 and hopefully PC. I would probably die from too much happiness.

Swamped

Banned
Got it because of the $30 free eshop money when you buy it along with fire emblem awakening, I enjoyed it .

Which I promptly used to buy Dual Destinies. This was such an excellent promotion, as SMTIV and FE:A were two games I had already bought, so nintendo essentially gave me free money lol.

And by God that's a lot of sales for this game! Well deserved, but I didn't expect numbers like that.

It isn't that SMT IV performed poorly I think, it has more to do with how amazing P4G did on a platform like the Vita.

But yeah, I think you're underestimating Persona's popularity at this point. It has only grown since then.

I wonder what P4G would have done if it had been on 3DS instead.

randomkid

That higher debut came from the FE promo. I imagine month 2 sales went off a cliff considering the $50 price tag (a 3DS first that basically blocked out any who'd be casually interested). The reason the game ended up having any legs at all was frequent $20 sales (that's even the current price on Amazon) combined with positive word of mouth. If the game had stayed at its launch price like some Nintendo games do, and if there had been no FE promo, sales would be dramatically lower. SMT is way more niche than Persona.

wmlk

I wonder what P4G would have done if it had been on 3DS instead.

That would be fun. I think its success was due to some crossover with it being on a Sony platform, and then good word of mouth for a genuinely excellent game just carried it further.

P4G would have done really well on 3DS obviously and would sell better, but I think it wouldn't be as impressive to look at the numbers since there are a ton of games on 3DS that have already sold better. P4G is actually a system seller for the Vita.

I still need to get around to playing SMTIV. :(

SalvaPot

Which I promptly used to buy Dual Destinies. This was such an excellent promotion, as SMTIV and FE:A were two games I had already bought, so nintendo essentially gave me free money lol.

And by God that's a lot of sales for this game! Well deserved, but I didn't expect numbers like that.

Huh, so did I!

Mozendo

While I'm glad SMT IV did well it's a flawed game.
Story was weak,difficulty was a joke, and the dungeon designs were just straight up bad. While I did have fun with the game it was a huge disappointment for me and without a doubt the weakest game in the mainline series. Really hope V is a vast improvement.

rhandino

Banned
So happy for ATLUS, SMTIV is excellent and even if the game cost a little more it was packed with the Strategy Guide + that incredible promotion with FE: Awakening.

Now, please go and make SMT: Strange Journey 2 or a 3DS port of Strange Journey =D

NEO0MJ

I only bought FE because of the promotion.

Delio

That's OK, the budget for SMT IV was probably not a tenth of an actual 3D game like Persona 4. I'm sure Atlus is extatic upon these sales numbers.

OK, now let me dream of a SMT V in Persona V's engine, coupled with some three other spinoffs in the same engine, all for PS4 and hopefully PC. I would probably die from too much happiness.

Do you really think you have to dream about this? Well the spin offs maybe but I wonder if the Persona 5 engine will end up used for SMT in the future. That does leave just PS4 going forward. But considering how far in the future SMTV will be who knows haha.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
It's a decent RPG, but a weak SMT game. The difficulty curve drops off a cliff after Minotaur and never recovers and the level design leaves much to be desired.

That strikes me as decidedly high for the type of game it is.

It is 50% off in the eshop at least once a month.

Nakho

Do you really think you have to dream about this? Well the spin offs maybe but I wonder if the Persona 5 engine will end up used for SMT in the future. That does leave just PS4 going forward. But considering how far in the future SMTV will be who knows haha.

Who knows... I think everybody expected Persona 5 to be released in a timely manner after Catherine and look how that turned out.

Shengar

Great game, really deserved it.
Now, finish P5 then begin SMT V development with Kaneko at the helm, wouldn't you Atlus?

Loved it. The reason I boughy an extra 3DS when the Region Free hack came out a year and half ago.

Had the collector's edition since launch despite I live in EU lol

I have recently bought it on the eShop for 10 euros to have it on my vanilla 3DS.

Game us like $20 on amazon. Dont know what to expect but i've always been super intrigued and I fucking love persona. So buying this.

Top Bottom