• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT IV breaks 600k worldwide, Atlus Best Collection version announced

No doubt helped by the constant sales. I wonder how much of that 600k is Europe.

It is a better soundtrack than it is a game mind.

Sagely

Fantastic news! I just got it recently, thanks to recent exposure to the Persona series and a handy sale on the EU eshop. Perhaps many others have picked up the game for similar reasons - a well deserved success in my opinion :)

Oregano

Cant tell if its sarcastic or not.:p

What? Did a joke fly above my head or something?

I don't get it...

Being super sarcastic.

This is a very funny joke. You are a very funny person.

oh you.

But seriously, Square Enix fucked up by not localising their games. DQVII&VIII might be announced at Gamescom but with possible releases so late in the 3DS' life, sales might be affected and be much lower than if they were released on time and at the consoles peak.

Best post in a long while.

Glad you guys appreciated it. The general success of stuff like SMT is what Nintendo should be capitalising on for NX. Nintendo needs to sell it as the place for JP games.

This is not funny.

It was something of a reference to "Monster Hunter would sell Destiny numbers on PS4".

Capra

Nice! I just ordered this as one of my first 2DS purchases the other day. It'll also be my first SMT game so I'm really excited to start playing.

Hopefully this means more SMT releases on Nintendo handhelds. If NX could handle PS2 ports a portable Nocturne rerelease would be awesome, since most fans seem to hold that one in high regard. I wonder how well Persona Q did too, and whether it'd warrant porting over P3/P4.

Acidote

Its like €10 every other month on the eShop, I'd suggest to stop being a Luddite. Now had a physical release happened it would have been by those NISA Europe scumbags who would still have the eShop version for €40 and the physical version for not much cheaper and not exactly on top of the USA release either (going by the EO Untold 2 release dates). In that kind of situation we're better off without local publishers and physical versions (
yeah I am a tad bitter towards NISA Europe because they have managed to kill Etrian Oddysey for me more than me not liking what I've played of the first game did by how different their pricing policies are compared to Atlus USA and their $15 every other month, the ridiculous three use demo of EOIV didn't help either and I really hated from a PR point of view NISA Europe had the cheek to blame Nintendo too...then there was that time when they said EOIV "wasn't one of their games" so they couldn't put it on sale...got corrected said "got mixed up with SMTIV" but still never put EOIV on sale
).

I'll buy digital on Nintendo systems when they have a working unified account system. Until then, there's no way. I just changed my 3DS XL for a New 3DS and I'm more set on this than ever before. It is not about the money. I would have bought the retail game full priced, but now I'd rather spend those 10€ feeding the ducks at the park nearby than support their current system. So I guess I'm equally bitter as you are towards NISA Europe, but towards Nintendo and Atlus.

FluxWaveZ

Hopefully this means more SMT releases on Nintendo handhelds. If NX could handle PS2 ports a portable Nocturne rerelease would be awesome, since most fans seem to hold that one in high regard. I wonder how well Persona Q did too, and whether it'd warrant porting over P3/P4.

For Atlus, the success of the games doesn't necessarily inform the next platform a game in that series will be on. I bet the next SMT game we see is on Sony home consoles because of Persona 5.

Oregano

For Atlus, the success of the games doesn't necessarily inform the next platform a game in that series will be on. I bet the next SMT game we see is on Sony home consoles because of Persona 5.

I don't follow the logic. SMT has been Nintendo exclusive for two generations now, Nintendo has helped promote the franchise and they're making a new SMT spin off with Nintendo.Those Persona 5 assets will be PS3-level which means they should be usable on the 3DS' successor too. Why would they switch now?

Eolz

Really nice!
Strange Journey is still my favourite SMT, but I really liked this one too, sprites and all.
Unlike Persona where the main audience is definitely on Playstation (but not only), I really think mainline SMT actually fits better on Nintendo platforms. I think NX will be a good choice for 5, particularly if there's 2 versions.
(for the "Persona 5 new demons!" argument, it's not that complicated to push assets from one engine/platform to another)

The sales in Europe would be so much better if Atlus USA actually did something, really a shame. At least it was half-price from start and not a NISA situation...

Jigorath

Banned
I don't follow the logic. SMT has been Nintendo exclusive for two generations now, Nintendo has helped promote the franchise and they're making a new SMT spin off with Nintendo.Those Persona 5 assets will be PS3-level which means they should be usable on the 3DS' successor too. Why would they switch now?

Yeah I think mainline SMT will stay on Nintendo while mainline Persona sticks to Sony.

FluxWaveZ

Which generation was SMT: Nocturne apart of? I would have put that as 2 generations ago; separating handheld and console generations doesn't make much sense for this.

The logic is this:
  • They made a new engine specifically for Persona 5.
  • Team Maniax has been working on something new since at least the beginning of 2014, probably in pre-development before then. It's also possibly the game Atlus has planned for a 2017 release.
  • They made new demon assets specifically for Persona 5.
I don't know what the NX is so I hate thinking about what could or could not be on that system.

What we do know, especially talking about Atlus, is that they haven't made the engine and new assets just for Persona 5. They'll be reusing those for future console games. Only considering the currently available consoles, the only ones that make sense for a game reusing the P5 assets and engine would be the PS3 and PS4, and maybe the Vita.

Oregano

Which generation was SMT: Nocturne apart of? I would have put that as 2 generations ago; separating handheld and console generations doesn't make much sense for this.

The logic is this:
  • They made a new engine specifically for Persona 5.
  • Team Maniax has been working on something new since at least the beginning of 2014, probably in pre-development before then. It's also possibly the game Atlus has planned for a 2017 release.
  • They made new demon assets specifically for Persona 5.
I don't know what the NX is so I hate thinking about what could or could not be on that system.

What we do know, especially talking about Atlus, is that they haven't made the engine and new assets just for Persona 5. They'll be reusing those for future console games. Only considering the currently available consoles, the only ones that make sense for a game reusing the P5 assets and engine would be the PS3 and PS4, and maybe the Vita.

SMT has been DS and 3DS exclusive. The gap between Nocturne and SMTIV was like ten years and I think when SMTIV was released they said the next one wouldn't be coming any time soon.

Persona 5 is on the Catherine engine(and there's a good chance Illusory Revelations uses it too). It's not just for Persona 5.

Third parties already have target specs for the 3DS successor and considering Atlus has been working on a first party project with Nintendo for the last few years and is also one the 3DS' biggest supporters they likely had that info relatively early.

EDIT: Also the 3DS SMT games uses assets from Saturn(and earlier?) so it's not like those Persona 5 assets have to be used immediately.

FluxWaveZ

SMT has been DS and 3DS exclusive. The gap between Nocturne and SMTIV was like ten years and I think when SMTIV was released they said the next one wouldn't be coming any time soon.

Yeah, and Persona also had a 7+ year long gap from anything on consoles, other than Persona 4 Arena, before returning to the PS3 and PS4. And when did they say that? If they did, would you even consider 2017 to be "soon" since 2013?

Persona 5 is on the Catherine engine(and there's a good chance Illusory Revelations uses it too). It's not just for Persona 5..

No, your facts are all wrong. Catherine uses Gamebryo. Persona 5 uses a proprietary engine they took years to develop. It's ridiculous if you think they made that only with Persona 5 in mind, and I doubt Genei Ibun Roku #FE uses it.

EDIT: Also the 3DS SMT games uses assets from Saturn(and earlier?) so it's not like those Persona 5 assets have to be used immediately.

You haven't been following Atlus' method of development much if you think they'll just sit on the new assets for Persona 5 without using them anytime soon for future projects.

Oregano

Yeah, and Persona also had a 7+ year long gap from anything on consoles, other than Persona 4 Arena, before returning to the PS3 and PS4. And when did they say that? If they did, would you even consider 2017 to be "soon" since 2013?

No, your facts are all wrong. Catherine uses Gamebryo. Persona 5 uses a proprietary engine they took years to develop.

You haven't been following Atlus' method of development much if you think they'll just sit on the new assets for Persona 5 without using them anytime soon for future projects.

Four years is pretty soon for a new SMT especially if they're going from a 3DS game to a HD game. I think I misremembered though; they said something like "You probably won't be seeing us any time soon." it wasn't specifically about Shin Megami Tensei.

I actually didn't know it was a new engine. I'd still have to imagine they're using it for Illusory Revelations otherwise that kinda suggests they did just make it for Persona 5!

They wouldn't have to wait that long to use them for the 3DS' successor and they could probably use them for longer. PS3-level assets are already outdated now on consoles.

EDIT:
No, your facts are all wrong. Catherine uses Gamebryo. Persona 5 uses a proprietary engine they took years to develop. It's ridiculous if you think they made that only with Persona 5 in mind, and I doubt Genei Ibun Roku #FE uses it.

Doesn't that make less sense though? The engine wasn't only made for Persona 5 but the other HD SMT game they're making isn't using it? Especially considering it's only been in development for two years.

FluxWaveZ

Four years is pretty soon for a new SMT especially if they're going from a 3DS game to a HD game. I think I misremembered though; they said something like "You probably won't be seeing us any time soon." it wasn't specifically about Shin Megami Tensei.

Yeah, you're not referring to the right thing at all. You're talking about what Team Maniax said in preparation for 2014:
Issen Yamai (Atlus Director)
Favorite games: Grand Theft Auto V and Pokopan

I think 2014 will be a year of preparation for the Maniax team and I. We’re working here and there on the next title. You won’t be hearing from us for a while, you might think we left office or died. (Laughs)

I actually didn't know it was a new engine. I'd still have to imagine they're using it for Illusory Revelations otherwise that kinda suggests they did just make it for Persona 5!

Persona 5 isn't out yet. This doesn't make any sense.

They wouldn't have to wait that long to use them for the 3DS' successor and they could probably use them for longer. PS3-level assets are already outdated now on consoles.

They'll be able to use the same assets created for Persona 5 for PS4 games, and that's if they don't continue with PS3/PS4 cross-development. "Outdated" clearly means very little for Atlus. As you said yourself, 3DS SMT games use Saturn assets.

Doesn't that make less sense though? The engine wasn't only made for Persona 5 but the other HD SMT game they're making isn't using it? Especially considering it's only been in development for two years.

No? Genei Ibun Roku #FE operates differently than Persona 5 will, and they're both targeting different consoles. Did all Atlus PS2 RPGs use the same engine?

Oregano

Yeah, you're not referring to the right thing at all. You're talking about what Team Maniax said in preparation for 2014:

Persona 5 isn't out yet. This doesn't make any sense.

They'll be able to use the same assets created for Persona 5 for PS4 games, and that's if they don't continue with PS3/PS4 cross-development. "Outdated" clearly means very little for Atlus. As you said yourself, 3DS SMT games use Saturn assets.

They wouldn't have to wait for Persona 5 to be out to use the engine for another game. Even the disaster that were Crystal Tools/Luminous Engine were used for several projects simultaneously.

I doubt cross development will be feasible for much longer, even in Japan.

FluxWaveZ

They wouldn't have to wait for Persona 5 to be out to use the engine for another game. Even the disaster that were Crystal Tools/Luminous Engine were used for several projects simultaneously.

Which is why I'm theorizing that Team Maniax' project uses Persona 5's engine, and the assets to go along with it.

Oregano

Which is why I'm theorizing that Team Maniax' project uses Persona 5's engine, and the assets to go along with it.

So they're not using the engine for Illusory Revelations because Persona 5 isn't out yet but are using it for Shin Megami Tensei V for PS3/PS4?

Engines aren't locked to certain hardware or even certain game styles. Just because Persona 5 is a PS3/PS4 game doesn't mean any other games on the engine have to be. Heck Persona 5 switched from PS3-only to cross gen.

Also if they weren't going to build an engine just for Persona 5 why on earth would they build one just for Illusory Revelations?

Eolz

Again, you can use the same assets for different engines (with minor work of course). This is a pretty weak argument.

Talking sales, strategy, history, etc... is what allows us to predict (not really accurately) where the next game in a franchise might go. From that, it's really easier to say that mainline SMT games might stay on Nintendo platforms. I certainly wouldn't say that for spinoffs though (whether it is in a different genre or not).
There isn't really a lot of recent hints allowing us to say where it'll go for now anyway.

I'm guessing that Shin Megami Tensei V will be on a Nintendo handheld. It just makes sense. They can still take advantage of the new demon assets, but without the escalating costs. And the software situation sales wise will probably be rosier than on the PS3.

FluxWaveZ

So they're not using the engine for Illusory Revelations because Persona 5 isn't out yet but are using it for Shin Megami Tensei V for PS3/PS4?

No, I never said this.

Engines aren't locked to certain hardware or even certain game styles. Just because Persona 5 is a PS3/PS4 game doesn't mean any other games on the engine have to be. Heck Persona 5 switched from PS3-only to cross gen.

That definitely depends on the engine. You're right, the engine doesn't have to be restricted to the PS3/PS4 and can be easily exported to other hardware. All we know, though, is that that engine is for the PS3 and PS4.

Also if they weren't going to build an engine just for Persona 5 why on earth would they build one just for Illusory Revelations?

Did... they build one for Genei Ibun Roku?

Again, you can use the same assets for different engines (with minor work of course). This is a pretty weak argument.

That I don't disagree with; my main point comes from both the engine and the assets. SMT V could either be on a Nintendo or Sony system at this point, is what I think; originally, I guess I mainly meant "the next Megaten game" will be on consoles, following P5.

Eolz

That I don't disagree with; my main point comes from both the engine and the assets. SMT V could either be on a Nintendo or Sony system at this point, is what I think; originally, I guess I mainly meant "the next Megaten game" will be on consoles, following P5.

Oh yeah, Console vs Handheld is definitely another question.
It will probably depend on the NX handheld power for that (I really don't see SMT V releasing on 3DS or Vita). However, you'll have to admit that if the rumors of Nintendo making NX specifically for easy ports between console and handheld, this would be a compelling argument for Atlus to use both of those platforms. There may very well be another Strange Journey situation for PS or Nintendo too.

And yeah, even if there's no official confirmation (nobody asked), I'm pretty sure IR#FE uses a new engine, just for the fact it's on WiiU: they wouldn't port Gamebryo (doesn't look like it), they probably had some support from Nintendo or IS, and the P5 engine, as you said, seems to have been made for PS3/4.

Oregano

Did... they build one for Genei Ibun Roku?

Well maybe not, they would have had three options. 1) License an engine(like Gamebryo) 2) Use an existing HD engine(only one they have is Persona 5 3) Upgrade an existing engine/build a new engine.

The easiest option would using an engine they already have so Gamebryo or the Persona engine. I guess they could use Gamebryo but I'm not sure it supports Wii U either.

Nakho

I need a Devil Survivor 3 as a proper send-off to the 3DS. SMT V would be better, but no time for that, I guess. Maybe on the NX.

mrmickfran

This was probably one of Atlus' most profitable games since I imagine that the development cost was cheap (the majority of the game was sprites).

OuterLimits

I need a Devil Survivor 3 as a proper send-off to the 3DS. SMT V would be better, but no time for that, I guess. Maybe on the NX.

I agree. At least we got enhanced versions of the first two games.

Glad to see SMTIV did rather well. Fantastic game.

Top Bottom