• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Swindle |OT| Spelunky meets cyber-steampunk Thief

ceEh8Ba.jpg

http://www.sizefivegames.com/games/theswindle/
Price: $14.99
Platforms:
- PC, Mac (Steam, GOG, GMG)
- PS3, PS4, PS Vita
- Xbox One (July 31st)
- Wii U ("slightly later")
Announcement Trailer | "Stupidity, Fear, and Greed" Overview | Launch Trailer

ebBoeZl.jpg

The Swindle is a steampunk cybercrime caper about breaking into buildings, hacking their systems, stealing all their cash, and quickly running away again before the police show up.

All the buildings you’ll be robbing are randomly-generated, so you’ll never get the same level twice.

Meanwhile, from the safety of your rickety airship up in Outer Space, you can modify your thief with new skills, tools, and all manner of advanced technological horrors, allowing you to take on bigger buildings with better security, for gargantuan rewards!

Have you got what it takes to pull off The Swindle?

2gb1zic.jpg

V6nkDEe.jpg

1jlxH5E.jpg

CZDeIHg.jpg

LYnFCoy.jpg

Reviews

Eurogamer - Recommended
As in Spelunky, there is a rich ecology here that clips together in very interesting ways, and at 15 hours in, I'm still being surprised by stuff that happens. I've just discovered that the wandering robots which seem to have a human brain clamped to the tops of their torsos can open doors. Equally, I've just equipped EMP blast for the first time, and now I never want to leave my airship hub without it.

Kotaku
Once you figure out enemy patrols and start casing places on the fly, though, bitter rage becomes sweet satisfaction. Because The Swindle’s levels are randomized, it’s not about memorizing specific places through turgid trial-and-error. Rather, you must master the art of the heist. Observe. Scheme. Adapt and re-adapt. Improvise, but only when you’re certain that your plan has failed. And above all else, collect every loose penny you can, but remember: dead men and women tell no tales of their thrilling, last-second escapes.

Pocket Gamer - 9/10
The Swindle is a charming caper simulator, with clever risk vs reward systems that push you into brilliant situations and stories

PC Gamer - 80/100
The interaction between The Swindle's relatively simple systems can create satisfying action movie moments; one moment you're hiding and waiting, the next you're leaping about and timing attacks so that your target falls before anything can spot you. Not since Spelunky have I found a game so compelling that I’ve continued to play after so many deaths, and honestly, I think The Swindle has set a new record for me there.

TheSixthAxis - 8/10
In this madcap steampunk rendition London, a city of ludicrous buildings filled with robots and traps, the key is learning how to quit while you’re ahead. It’s all too easy to slip up and foolishly get spotted – and yes, the occasional glitch or quirk of procedural generation can feel unfair – but it makes each success all the more tense and rewarding.

God is a Geek - 7.5/10
A stylish new take on the indie stealth genre, The Swindle doesn't have the chops to compete with the very best, but manages to be addictive and likable enough to succeed on its own merit.

Push Square - 7/10
The Swindle is a solid game, but it's a swag bag short of our full recommendation. As a title to play over a weekend – or between other games with more substance – it can't really be knocked, but don't expect to be feeling light fingered forever. This is a cunning con, a solid swizz – but it's been robbed of crime of the century status.

Digital Spy - 3/5
When everything in The Swindle is working as intended, it is fantastic fun. It strikes just the right balance between stealth and action, with a wonderful sense of tension added by the extra challenge of planning your escape.
However, the constant reminder of the time limit makes those ecstatic moments few and far between, as you are forced to either grind through easier levels for cash or push against levels you aren't prepared for yet.

2dTpPLv.jpg

I have been looking forward to this, but August is so stacked and I'm a bit short on cash at the moment that I might have to pass on it for the time being. I hope there's a demo, but I'm going to assume there won't be.

Moobabe

Fantastic title - but this snippet worries me:

However, the constant reminder of the time limit makes those ecstatic moments few and far between, as you are forced to either grind through easier levels for cash or push against levels you aren't prepared for yet.

Time limits in things like this tend to turn me off a little (like in Invisible Inc); I much prefer experimenting and messing about. Still, cautiously optimistic and I'll wait on a few impressions from the regulars.

Fantastic title - but this snippet worries me:

Time limits in things like this tend to turn me off a little (like in Invisible Inc); I much prefer experimenting and messing about. Still, cautiously optimistic and I'll wait on a few impressions from the regulars.
While I also didn't particularly like the 72 hour limit in Invisible Inc, here it sounds more forgiving. For one, it's 1 day = 1 mission rather than varied durations. And in Invisible Inc, you'd have to do specific and more time-costly missions to gather different resources like new agents or more money or new tech, while here you're simply gathering money and then buying upgrades in your airship hub

I think Eurogamer makes it sound like the 100 days limit adds more tension and stakes
The Swindle gives you 100 days to prepare for its final mission, and while that's enough time to allow you to work around unforeseen accidents, it's also enough time to ensure that failure will really sting.
The Swindle generates unbeatable levels because it gives you the tools to beat any level. The question becomes: in what order do you acquire these tools? And how many will be enough to allow you to try for the really big job that's forever leering on the horizon?

Moobabe

Woops

That doesn't sound as bad as I feared - is there a time limit within each mission? Or just an overall pressure?

If I recall correctly from dev commentary a few weeks back, the levels don't have a time limit

There is no ticking timer.

But if you're spotted, the cops will show up after a short time. A few officers at first, increasing to flying vehicles that can crash through walls to get to you. So that is a timer in a sense, but only if you're seen.

Karak

My review for ACG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyQOyPCQDEM

Rated it a Buy. Easily.

The its actually really cool lots of pause and pounce that goes on throughout the levels. Far more cerebral than it looks.
Woops

That doesn't sound as bad as I feared - is there a time limit within each mission? Or just an overall pressure?

Yep nothing to worry about. No time limit on the levels in fact it absolutely requires you to pause and think at times. The overall pressure is deciding to cut out with what money you have versus go for the gold because of a hard section. Each time you return you lose a day. Its fantastic.

wouwie

This has always looked as a very interesting game (visuals and atmosphere seem great) although i don't know much about the gameplay at this point other than that it's stealth/platforming in procedurally generated levels. I was worried when i read about timed levels but apparently they are not. I will catch up on some reviews before buying to get a better understanding of the game mechanics but i'll probably buy this.

Moobabe

My review for ACG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyQOyPCQDEM

Rated it a Buy. Easily.

The its actually really cool lots of pause and pounce that goes on throughout the levels. Far more cerebral than it looks.

Yep nothing to worry about. No time limit on the levels in fact it absolutely requires you to pause and think at times. The overall pressure is deciding to cut out with what money you have versus go for the gold because of a hard section. Each time you return you lose a day. Its fantastic.

That's great news - I don't mind the meta time pressure, but in levels kind of stinks - great to see it's not in.

The review is great man!

Karak

That's great news - I don't mind the meta time pressure, but in levels kind of stinks - great to see it's not in.

The review is great man!

Thanks so much Moobabe.
Ya the game is absolutely not rushed in the missions. In fact its 1 part of its brilliance. Another part is, as I said in the review, the interplay of light and shadow and cell shading to inform the gamer of enemies that are sitting still. Which could be an issue if handled incorrectly. Additionally, I know a game is fun when I start naming a level while playing it.
My Favorite is "Twin Peaks" it was this level with of course two towers and the first room was like something out of fucking Mission Impossible done Steampunk style. Great stuff.

redcrayon

Thanks so much Moobabe.
Ya the game is absolutely not rushed in the missions. In fact its 1 part of its brilliance. Another part is, as I said in the review, the interplay of light and shadow and cell shading to inform the gamer of enemies that are sitting still. Which could be an issue if handled incorrectly. Additionally, I know a game is fun when I start naming a level while playing it.
My Favorite is "Twin Peaks" it was this level with of course two towers and the first room was like something out of fucking Mission Impossible done Steampunk style. Great stuff.
Just watched your review, really enjoyed it, thanks!

wouwie

I was wondering: is there a checkpoint/save system within each level/day or do missions need to be finished in one go?

BSpot

I was wondering: is there a checkpoint/save system within each level/day or do missions need to be finished in one go?

So far, one go. But they don't seem to be too long.

In what little I tried... my only complaint was that sometimes I felt like I should have jumped (I'm not new to video games) but instead the button didn't read and I kinda slipped off the ledge into spikes and insta-died.

Really surprised that I hadn't heard about this game until the day before it releases. All the Spelunky comparisons I'm reading in reviews make me want to try it even more. Looks damn good.

All these Spelunky comparisons and that Eurogamer review have turned this from something I was slightly interested in, into a 1st second download.

I agree time limits in levels can sometimes be annoying but the 1 day rule seems quite cool and part of the strategy.

sheaaaa

The steampunk thieving Spelunky idea was what grabbed me in as well. Maybe mentioning Spelunky in the thread title would have got fans of that in?

Ninja Dom

A More_Badass thread where a game I have never heard of is recommended to me. I'm sure you were the one who got me to play Her Story & Lifeline on iOS.

Anyway, the screenshots give me a 'Mark of the Ninja' style vibe.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I would love some more impressions, the gameplay seen in the review looks a bit samey, with tricks that you basically use all the time (waiting behind doors, shortly open it, strike, close door) instead of many different possibilities of emergent stealth/puzzle gameplay. Spelunky looks to be much more diverse in style of challenge. I am getting a bit of a Monaco vibe here, which is not a good thing.

Moobabe

I would love some more impressions, the gameplay seen in the review looks a bit samey, with tricks that you basically use all the time (waiting behind doors, shortly open it, strike, close door) instead of many different possibilities of emergent stealth/puzzle gameplay. Spelunky looks to be much more diverse in style of challenge. I am getting a bit of a Monaco vibe here, which is not a good thing.

How could you remind of this? One of my biggest disappointments in the indie scene to date.

A More_Badass thread where a game I have never heard of is recommended to me. I'm sure you were the one who got me to play Her Story & Lifeline on iOS.

Anyway, the screenshots give me a 'Mark of the Ninja' style vibe.

Join us in the Indie Thread my friend - he posts about hundreds of games none of us have ever heard of!

Never heard of this game, but it sounds and looks like something I'd enjoy - perhaps I will reward myself upon a successful completion of my last final this Friday.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How could you remind of this? One of my biggest disappointments in the indie scene to date.

I guess its a mixture of the style, animation, and most importantly level/gameplay dynamics in the video I saw. Wait in front of a door, wait for something to pass by, walk, slash, repeat.

redcrayon

That's pretty much your main strategy at the start because you only have a billy club, and the enemies are slow, often alone and vulnerable. By the time you are five or ten heists in, there are mobile cameras that fly and aren't vulnerable to the same trick, and you start watching for patterns to allow you to chip away at them too. After that, some of the rooms get so insane that you end up using bombs to create better entrances, emp pulses, turning enemies against each other etc.

The gameplay of the first 10 minutes is simple to ease you in, but it isn't entirely representative of how you'll be playing when you are thirty heists in.

I just posted this in the 'upcoming Vita games' thread in case it's of interest.

I know there's some discrepancy in the frame rate (I don't have a PS3/4 so can't check), but the animation on The Swindle's characters is like papercraft puppets with pins at the joints, so it doesn't look that bad. I'm no expert, but It's most noticable to me when descending from a jump that there are a few frames being missed. Thing is, it's a slow-paced game anyway (although you can upgrade your movement speed etc), there's a lot of planning your next move, it's not like Mario, Rayman or Shovel Knight where you are almost constantly moving, or Borderlands where you have whole minutes of frantic combat, so it really hasn't affected my enjoyment. When you mess up and it does get frantic, it's only for a few seconds- you're either about to die or running straight for the exit anyway :D

All I know is that I'm really enjoying it, I love the more cerebral take on a platformer. But seeing as it's crossbuy, if you have any other PS systems it's defo worth trying it on them all to see the difference.

I've noticed a couple of bugs too-once I've fallen from the edge of a platform onto spikes without pushing the d-pad (unless the idea is you can't stand on the very edge like mega man/Mario etc), and once I've managed to jump up through a thick ceiling (it wasn't a secret passage). At the start of the game where you haven't upgraded your jump, it's also possible to get stuck, and you have to use the 'terminate operative' command to escape. It would have been cool to have a very, very slow grappling hook/rope from the start that is obviously worse than upgrading the jump, as otherwise it seems very silly to be able to get trapped in someone's house because their dining room is at the bottom of a thirty-metre pit! Later on it's much less of an issue, after a couple of hours virtually all my deaths are coming from getting greedy and failing to learn when to say 'that room isn't worth it'- once I leapt into a dead-end room and killed everything, risking my haul and my life, only to then realise there was no money or computer in it! When you have the upgrade where you are paid for each kill, being aggressive helps, but otherwise I'm casing each joint looking for the easiest routes to it's computers (which you should prioritise) and easy isolated kills first, and not taking on more than I can handle.

I love the way you are reminded how many days you have left at the start of every mission, and it looks like there is an upgrade to extend the deadline if you are running up against it in the late game.
Last edited by redcrayon; Today at 03:01 PM.

Toma

That's pretty much your main strategy at the start because you only have a billy club, and the enemies are slow, often alone and vulnerable. By the time you are five or ten heists in, there are mobile cameras that fly and aren't vulnerable to the same trick, and you start watching for patterns to allow you to chip away at them too. After that, some of the rooms get so insane that you end up using bombs to create better entrances, emp pulses, turning enemies against each other etc.

The gameplay of the first 10 minutes is simple to ease you in, but it isn't entirely representative of how you'll be playing when you are thirty heists in.

I just posted this in the 'upcoming Vita games' thread in case it's of interest.

That sounds better, thanks. Is there a video of what you would call "insane" gameplay anywhere?

redcrayon

That sounds better, thanks. Is there a video of what you would call "insane" gameplay anywhere?

Eurogamer put a look at slightly later on in the first five minutes of the EG show (below). This shows bombs, cameras etc, but is only about a third of the way through the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-25-video-the-swindle-fan-remakes-and-choice-chamber

Some people have been disappointed with the frame rate on the Vita version though, so if that's where you intend to play it, I'd try to find some Vita-specific video first. I suspect I have quite a high tolerance for that kind of thing and thought I 'd better mention it! :D

Karak

Just watched your review, really enjoyed it, thanks!

No problem man thanks for watching it. Gonna get the game?
This is a great video

And thanks for sharing! I've been looking for a channel like this, all about discussing game design

Not to toot my own horn but we cover the majority of this in both the reviews and the discussions we have on our channel as well. If your interested.

Finally watched, nice review. Great voice too, you got a new subscriber!

Thanks More appreciate the words man!

I will say this about the game. It brings a whole new meaning to pause and pounce. The interaction between patterns, level layout, and tools is almost masterful. For a procedurally based level structure the games "crap" generation seems abnormally low. Like maybe 5% of all levels seemed to be odd or bland. That shows some high level chops when it comes to the underlying construction parameters for a level.

Not to toot my own horn but we cover the majority of this in both the reviews and the discussions we have on our channel as well. If your interested.
Awesome, will definitely be checking out the longer discussion

Always been fascinated by game design, the how and why a game works. Probably why Gamasutra is one of my favorite sites. Been listening to some podcasts, but YouTube channels are ideal for the subject

redcrayon

Already playing it :D

I agree with you in that it seems to generate genuinely interesting challenges. If an area is getting boring, it's time to move on to the next security level.

Attention to detail is good too- the way windows smash, and that the robots are really slow going upstairs.

Karak

Already playing it :D

I agree with you in that it seems to generate genuinely interesting challenges. If an area is getting boring, it's time to move on to the next security level.

Attention to detail is good too- the way windows smash, and that the robots are really slow going upstairs.
That "tink tink tink" sound of you smashing a window is hilarious. First many games would have had that sound be much louder, second, it takes many hits which matter later on. Its very small design decisions like that.
Also the risk versus reward gameplay is on 3 levels not 1, or 2. That alone is difficult.

Awesome, will definitely be checking out the longer discussion

Always been fascinated by game design, the how and why a game works. Probably why Gamasutra is one of my favorite sites. Been listening to some podcasts, but YouTube channels are ideal for the subject

Ya its great stuff. I find that I have to, as with technical details, make sure I don't let it sway my thoughts too far in one way or the other. But as a whole its a fantastic subject to explore.

On my channel I broke down some of Robbing the Cradle(Thief 3 deconstructionist level) and Mannan(KOTOR constructionist level) recently and by revisiting them it really opened my eyes not only to how level design has changed but how it remains the same, and more importantly how some designers are throwing it on its head.

UCBooties

Glad to hear that this is cross-buy for PS. I hope that means it is cross-play as well. I think I might jump into this the same way I jumped into counterspy last year. Loved that a lot and the side-scrolling procedural vibe I'm getting from this is similar.

Any game that gets compared to Spelunky is pretty much an insta-buy for me. Was going to go with PC, but cross-buy has me leaning towards the PS4 version.

Top Bottom