• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Swindle |OT| Spelunky meets cyber-steampunk Thief

Hyped for this, the dev's "ben and dan" point & click games are for me hands down the funniest point & click games since the lucasarts golden age, and amongst the best technically as well.

Very interested to see what they do with the platform/puzzle genre.

BSpot

Im curious, all, if you find that the PS4 version gives you issues trying to jump over spikes and sometimes that button press not registering. Please advise after extensive testing. ;)

Only got a chance to play two heists, but solid impressions so far.

I especially like how it gives a short quick (but cool) framework and just thrusts you into the action. The art style is lovely

redcrayon

There's something really quite exciting about making it out just before the police turn up- the suspense is great as you know they could turn up at any moment but you've spotted a computer you can reach...

BSpot

Sadly I am finding the PS4 suffers the same unresponsive controls. It just feels imprecise. Especially trying to initiate a jump around a spike pit. It's like you slip into it instead of jumping and die immediately.

I hope it gets fixed. Everything about the game is wonderful it just needs better controls.

redcrayon

Sadly I am finding the PS4 suffers the same unresponsive controls. It just feels imprecise. Especially trying to initiate a jump around a spike pit. It's like you slip into it instead of jumping and die immediately.

I hope it gets fixed. Everything about the game is wonderful it just needs better controls.
Yeah, I've noticed jumping being a bit dodgy around spike pits, and slipping in while standing on the edge too. I've taken to starting a jump from a bit further away and using the double/triple jump to make it over, but it does feel imprecise.

I find it a bit odd that a wall jump is higher than a normal jump too- if you can't make it to a ledge, it's like you can slide down the ledge below you to end up jumping higher!

BSpot

Yeah, I've noticed jumping being a bit dodgy around spike pits, and slipping in while standing on the edge too. I've taken to starting a jump from a bit further away and using the double/triple jump to make it over, but it does feel imprecise.

I find it a bit odd that a wall jump is higher than a normal jump too- if you can't make it to a ledge, it's like you can slide down the ledge below you to end up jumping higher!

Yeah I tweeted @danthat about it. Maybe if others do too, he will look into?

I tweeted this to him, too: http://bit.ly/1HZR0k3 (basically every time I fall down I'm jumping before I leave the ledge.

Also earlier I had a side of a map I couldn't get back home from. And I just now had a procedurally generated map I couldn't even get into. (I need a hack door I guess, but there's a wasted day....)

This looks pretty awesome - any game that gets comparisons to Spelunky is a must-look for me. The heist aspect also seems like t would be right up my alley. Subscribing to the thread as a reminder to myself to check this out when I get home.

does the vita version use the analog stick or d-pad? My stick went bad recently so I need to be careful what I buy now. Geometry wars 3 was a real bummer :(

scott!

Neo Member
I hope there's a demo, but I'm going to assume there won't be.
I've passed on a lot of interesting looking games so far this generation due to the lack of trials or demos. That stuff was wonderful for hooking me in on XBLA games on the 360.

Shame. It's a loss for both the dev/publisher and for me, but I just don't like hopping in blind. Reviews and impressions are great, but nothing compares to trying something yourself. Even a short demo can help to discern some harder-to-describe elements of how a game "feels" to control. That is essential in a platformer, and I'm very hesitant to throw down non-refundable money only to be disappointed.

I've passed on a lot of interesting looking games so far this generation due to the lack of trials or demos. That stuff was wonderful for hooking me in on XBLA games on the 360.

Shame. It's a loss for both the dev/publisher and for me, but I just don't like hopping in blind. Reviews and impressions are great, but nothing compares to trying something yourself. Even a short demo can help to discern some harder-to-describe elements of how a game "feels" to control. That is essential in a platformer, and I'm very hesitant to throw down non-refundable money only to be disappointed.
Steam has refunds now if you're into PC games

Are these input issues exclusive to the PS version? I was planning on buying this on PSN for cross play, but if it has inferior controls I'll just buy on Steam I guess.

BSpot

Are these input issues exclusive to the PS version? I was planning on buying this on PSN for cross play, but if it has inferior controls I'll just buy on Steam I guess.
Same on PC. Nearly every major review I read also mentions the controls not being so great.

Turnstyle

Quite a few niggles that will hopefully be patched. On top of the ones mentioned, I noticed it's impossible to defuse a mine placed at the bottom of some steps, as you slowly slide down towards it.

Has anyone worked out the wall burrowing thing? Sometimes you can scrabble through the wall up to a higher section, but I can't see any reasoning or method behind it. On a couple of occasions I got trapped in the wall and had to terminate the thief. Maybe it's a bug? Try jumping into some corners and you'll see what I mean.

Skyzard

Banned
Looks really interesting, tempted for vita - the negative reviews on the steam page mention sluggish controls though and that is a bit offputting. It's got a mostly positive rating at the moment though, but that seemed to be the most common talking point amongst the negative ones.

Seeing the posts here mention the same thing...I'll grab this on vita if they improve the controls enough that they're enjoyable.

The controls are definitely a bit clunky and not nearly as precise as, for example, Mark of the Ninja. I got somewhat used to it after a few dozen heists (attempts, rather - the game is HARD), but I still get the occasional wtf-death that can be attributed to the control scheme. It's been fun so far, though. It's going to take some time to figure out which upgrades to take early on and when to move to the next area.

My complaints so far are a few bugs that really fuck with my ability to enjoy the game (random teleporting and getting caught out of nowhere) and level layouts that make it impossible to collect all the money or are just plain hateful.

The controls take some getting used to, and they could be improved.

Games like this should have perfect controls and be tough but fair. Some of the toughness in The Swindle is not at all fair.

SomTervo

Spelunky, you say? Thief, you say?

I load the game up at 6pm and begin playing.

At 9.40pm I decide to call it a night. Whole thing felt like 20 minutes.

The control gripes are minor imo (I think controlling with D-pad is far easier than joystick) and you don't need to 100% every level, so exercising discretion or playing it safe is sometimes a valid choice. I even had a few moments where I simply checked all of a building's entrances, went 'nope', and left with £0. But that was fine. If i had better gear - and had done better on previous attempts - I'd be casing the joint easily.

The skill tree is fucking great and abilities/gadgets are locked behind huge financial gains. The risk/reward levels are phenomenal and sense of progression is brilliant because there are such large steps between the abilities.

I have 16 days/attempts left before game over, but I couldn't care less about having to restart (if that is what happens at day 0). The thought of going back to day 100 with all my knowledge and abilities actually sounds appealing.

I love this game. It's a 19/20 from me.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Played for about an hour or two. It's fun, but different to what I was expecting. I didn't realise it was randomly generated, for instance, and I'm finding the lack of initial instructions pretty frustrating. I'm not even going to say how long it took me to realise how to open doors. As others have mentioned, the controls feel pretty awkward on PS4. Wall-jump especially is a major pain to carry out accurately.

The randomly generated levels are a real killer though. I hate going into a level and finding things that I'm totally unprepared for and can't deal with. I wouldn't mind normally, but considering that the whole point of the game is that you have a deadline and need to make the most out of each run, it's very annoying. So far, I think I prefer Counterspy for my randomly generated, sneaky-heist action.

The game is nothing like Thief TBH, I wouldn't even call it a stealth game.

I'm having fun with it though, although the controls can be a little finicky.

How's the hacking handled?

You hold down the hack button (Y for the xbox controller) and hit some button prompts as they come up...simple, but effective.

Turnstyle

Spelunky, you say? Thief, you say?

The thought of going back to day 100 with all my knowledge and abilities actually sounds appealing.

When you reach the end of the 100 days and start again,
you lose all your abilities and have to start from scratch.

SomTervo

When you reach the end of the 100 days and start again,
you lose all your abilities and have to start from scratch.

I know that, and i'm fine with it.

The game's very like Spelunky in that your own development and skill set matters almost as much as your gear. I'm on world 4 now and if i had to start from scratch i'd catch up in no time because i know the systems and my move set really well. I find the idea appealing.

The randomly generated levels are a real killer though. I hate going into a level and finding things that I'm totally unprepared for and can't deal with. I wouldn't mind normally, but considering that the whole point of the game is that you have a deadline and need to make the most out of each run, it's very annoying. So far, I think I prefer Counterspy for my randomly generated, sneaky-heist action.

I love this aspect. It means you have to learn the game by playing and observing rather than reading tutorials or learning levels. They just throw you in there. It's brilliant imo. Did you play Spelunky? Very similar games. Spelunky is also phenomenal but personally i'm preferring the long-form development and strategy of Swindle. It's got a far nicer risk/reward balance to its system and i like the long-term permadeath over Spelunky's 'one mistake and your whole run's fucked' style.

Also i think the game dynamically alters difficulty for you. As far as i can tell it adds new elements to each stage/world until you start dying/failing, then it strips them back to make it easier.

Edit: i tried Counterspy but it seemed so simple and weirdly paced, i couldnt get behind it.

Nose Master

Bought this blind on the gaf recommendation (and Spelunky comparison) after watching a trailer or two.

This is not even close to Spelunky. Being a random generated pseudo-platformer doesn't make it like Spelunky. Spelunky had perfect controls, this very much does not.

Hoping the agility upgrades make it playable, but ugh. Never again.

Bought this blind on the gaf recommendation (and Spelunky comparison) after watching a trailer or two.

This is not even close to Spelunky. Being a random generated pseudo-platformer doesn't make it like Spelunky. Spelunky had perfect controls, this very much does not.

Hmm

The Eurogamer review touched on the Spelunky comparisions: procedurally generated platforming, the addicting risk vs reward nature of the gameplay, how success comes not from learning levels but adapting on the fly and your own skills, and the way all the different elements of the game interlock and link together in interesting and unique ways

Top Bottom