• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Swindle |OT| Spelunky meets cyber-steampunk Thief

redcrayon

It's a bit of a weird game in that most games start you out with few options/skills and little difficulty. In The Swindle, where everything is fatal, it means you have to get up close to defuse mines, leap spikes without multiple jumps and kill enemies personally, and that means that each slip is deadly.

Later on you can detonate mines and generators from a distance, use EMP to knock out robots from the other side of a wall/door, hack computers so quickly that the patrolling bots and camera arcs aren't a problem, blow up spikes and cameras, turn bots against each other and generally deal with most of the threats before you go in, and even then you can do so under a cloud of steam to stop being spotted, or with an auto-steam purge to stop being spotted once automatically. If you get something wrong, it usually isn't fatal, it just means you need to try something else (or wait for your abilities to recharge).

Corpekata

Banned
Finished it up. Fun and a good game but I have to echo others that it doesn't really have much to draw me back in after victory. It reminds of Hand of Fate which came out earlier this year, another game I really liked, but once you beat the end boss in that game, there's not a ton to go back to.

The game could use like a Hard mode that makes it so you have to do the Swindle in 50 days instead of 100, which would encourage more selective picking of upgrades.

Dunkelgrau

GAF, what should I buy tonight?

The Swindle,
Shovel Knight,
The Order
or something else?

I want to play a game like La Mulana, but I got no Vita. I also finished Axiom Verge already. I played Spelunky yesterday for an hour and I really hated the music. Does Shovel Knight has a focus on upgrading weapons and so on? Or should I take The Swindle? The Order is very cheap at the moment, too.

wow man, I am loving this game.

Just finished my first 100 day run, spent much of it getting rather brutally killed. I struggle to remember another game that makes getting wasted quite so much fun. The risk/reward mechanic of the game is soooo good. I love the art style, the random character generator...

Speaking of that, if you're one of those social justice types, its pretty cool how gol-dern inclusive The Swindle is without it ever being a big deal, your characters are randomly assigned to you (and often hilariously named) and they're a wonderfully diverse and motley crew, as they are. Its the kind of brilliant, small touch that I really appreciate but doesn't actually effect how the game plays all that much, other then its nice to not control an endless procession of gruff white dudes.

But yeah, on the whole, its quite an excellent title and I hope it finds the big audience it deserves over time, doesn't seem to have it now so much.

redcrayon

Yeah, I really enjoyed it, and the character models of the thieves and their randomly-generated names! I've played through it three times now and still go back to it, which is more than I can say than for most games I play.

I did find something really annoying after the last patch that fixed the slippery controls, though- now, when I blow up spikes, they still seem to be fatal even if they aren't there anymore. Very strange.

I did find something really annoying after the last patch that fixed the slippery controls, though- now, when I blow up spikes, they still seem to be fatal even if they aren't there anymore. Very strange.

If the spikes are on the outside edge of the blast radius, they disappear but are still there. If they are in the 3x3 (or bigger for upgraded bombs) area, they are really gone. I learned that the hard way too.

I've been going for no-death runs for the trophy lately, but it's really frustrating to die to control-related issues or bugs: the spike bug, mistiming a jump because of a slope (don't get me started on the stupid slope physics), jump button not doing anything because I was in a magic place between a computer tile and an indestructible floor tile or something like that, drone beam suddenly reaching through a door, etc. etc. I've learned to avoid most of these, so I guess it's just a matter of time before everything comes together. The game is awesome, but it would be super awesome with another cleanup patch.

redcrayon

If the spikes are on the outside edge of the blast radius, they disappear but are still there. If they are in the 3x3 (or bigger for upgraded bombs) area, they are really gone. I learned that the hard way too.

I've been going for no-death runs for the trophy lately, but it's really frustrating to die to control-related issues or bugs: the spike bug, mistiming a jump because of a slope (don't get me started on the stupid slope physics), jump button not doing anything because I was in a magic place between a computer tile and an indestructible floor tile or something like that, drone beam suddenly reaching through a door, etc. etc. I've learned to avoid most of these, so I guess it's just a matter of time before everything comes together. The game is awesome, but it would be super awesome with another cleanup patch.
Great, thanks for that.

AND THERE IT IS
nFXrxe0.jpg
Might as well go for the rest of the trophies. A couple of them seem annoyingly luck-based, but anything feels like a cakewalk after this.

I only started playing this recently, and while I'm awful at it despite having played nearly 40 days, it's a really great game with a surprising amount of depth. I totally understand the Spelunky comparisons (another game I'm terrible at), and it has wonderful controls, I love the art style, the upgrade system is great (at first the amount of money seems insurmountable, but the rate at which you collect money increases once you get a couple of small upgrades. It's just a great little game; very impressed so far.

Necrobump!

I've been eyeing this for some time (I admit anything compared to Spelunky makes me perk my ears up), and it's on sale right now on the EU PSN for 8€ (5€ with PS+). This thread doesn't make the game seem like the most successful, though...

Top Bottom