• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Series: Where to Start?

Where do I begin? I have a PS2 that is capable of playing the original and games following, however I do not have a PS3 to play MGS4. I heard MGS4 is by far the worst in the series. Can I skip it and get away with it? Should I even play the game for story?

Ideally, it would be nice to just skip right into MGS Ground Zeros and The Phantom Pain. Do you think that is feasible?

Halp me GAF!

as someone who only recently started playing the MGS games, I think MGS 1 -> 2 -> 3 is best. I havent played 4 so can't comment. I went MGR Revengeance (awesome) -> MGS GZ (didnt like) -> 1 -> 2 -> currently playing 3

Where do I begin? I have a PS2 that is capable of playing the original and games following, however I do not have a PS3 to play MGS4. I heard MGS4 is by far the worst in the series. Can I skip it and get away with it? Should I even play the game for story?

Ideally, it would be nice to just skip right into MGS Ground Zeros and The Phantom Pain. Do you think that is feasible?

Halp me GAF!

Well you can play Mgs3, peacewalker, and ground zeroes to understand pretty much everything in TPP.

But i suggest you start with Mgs 1 then 2 3 4 peacewalker then ground zeroes

why does this question come up so often, do people not understand numbers?

1, 2, 3, 4
go left to right.

if you speak arabic, here you go, 4, 3, 2, 1

ramyeon

I don't think skipping right to Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain is ideal, mainly because you're missing out on some really fantastic games.

Play 1 > 2 > 3 at the very least. And perhaps Peace Walker if you have a PSP or Vita you're able to play it on since TPP is a sequel to MGS3 and Peace Walker.

I personally have not played 4, but I can't imagine not playing it would detract too much from TPP due to the position it is in the timeline of events.
Well you can play Mgs3, peacewalker, and ground zeroes to understand pretty much everything in TPP.
Disagree. I have a feeling TPP will connect to the story of MGS 1 and 2 a lot and tie up a lot of loose ends despite coming before it chronologically. I really think you will need to have played at least the original 3 in order to fully enjoy the story.

Hypron

MGS4 is great and you should definitely not skip it. It's a great end to the Solid Snake saga. Skipping it would be stupid.

So yeah, the order is MGS1->2->3->4->Peace Walker->Ground Zeroes->The Phantom Pain.

down 2 orth

Yeah I just sat through an hour of audio logs while playing Ground Zeroes last night. It was a bit tedious but the cooky writing made it easier to bear, and it's all worth it for that 1080p/60fps juiciness.

Renpatsu

Investment in the story is so much of why people are so attached to the series so skipping an entry (whether you end up enjoying it or not) seems like it'll detract from the overall experience.

1 > 2 > 3 > 4 >PW > GZ > PP

Maybe play PO between 4 and PW.

Darn.

I was afraid of this response. Essentially all of the story is essential to understand what's going on? I mean, that's fine as a series, but I was just hoping I wouldn't have to invest so much time and money into playing them on different platforms. Buying a PS3 is out of the question right now, so I guess I'll work through the original, get the HD collection on the 360 (has 2, 3 and Peacemaker) and I'll watch a play through of MGS4 on YouTube.

I just downloaded Ground Zeros for free on Xbox Live, but I don't want to start it if playing the other games are essential to understanding the events/characters.

Hypron

If you go in order of release it will be easier to adapt to changes in gameplay mechanics.

Yeah, this too. Each game expands on the previous apart from Peace Walker, which takes a couple of steps back because it's a PSP game (it still has a couple of improvements like the CQC chains though).

algert

Banned

The MGS plot is a mess dude, just skip it and save your time. The older games also have terrible controls. Read a summary or watch a LP instead, it's not like you won't be able to enjoy GZ or V because you didn't play the previous games.

vid

Play them in release order. Do not deviate.

ESSENTIAL:

Metal Gear Solid -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> Peace Walker -> Ground Zeroes -> The Phantom Pain

If you've got the patience to do so and want to swallow the entire canon, then throw the remaining games in there, also in release order.

Metal Gear -> MG2 -> Metal Gear Solid -> 2 -> 3 -> Portable Ops -> 4 -> Peace Walker -> Rising -> Ground Zeroes -> The Phantom Pain

The MGS plot is a mess dude, just skip it and save your time. The older games also have terrible controls. Read a summary or watch a LP instead, it's not like you won't be able to enjoy GZ or V because you didn't play the previous games.

Also, given how frequently the Metal Gear series likes to mess with your knowledge of previous game mechanics, this is the worst possible advice. Boo this man.

Hypron

I can see the argument being made for MGS1 but the definitely not for the others. They're not as streamlined as recent games' but once you get used to them (doesn't even take that long) they enable you to do a ton of stuff and don't get in the way.

Also, the writing is not great but the stories are a lot of fun. You get attached the characters and it's fun to see them evolve over the games.

MGSV is the bridge between the Big Boss games (3 and Peace Walker) and the Solid Snake games (MG1, 2, MGS1, 2, 4). It'll have links to all those games. It's probably possible to understand what's going on by simply playing 3 and Peace Walker but you'll still miss references and stuff to the later games in the series.

What makes you say it's such a mess? I have heard many say this, which is partially why I asked which game to play in the first place.

I get so many different answers, but the most consistent is to play them all in order. I understand that, as I would tell someone who is getting into Halo to play 1, 2, 3 and 4 at least. However, if they wanted to skip to H5 I would tell them they could get away with only playing Halo 4 most likely if they didn't have the time.

Well, you say you'd rather just start with MGSV, so if you don't care about the story just do that. Story-wise it's probably going to be a bad game to start with, but if you're considering jumping in there you probably aren't worried about that.

Otherwise play MGS1, 2 and 3. They're all great games and if you care about going into MGSV with the proper context, they'll probably enhance that experience for you. Also consider MGS4 and Peace Walker if you end up liking the series; they're not as good as the above three games but they're at least good, and they'll be pretty essential for fully getting MGSV too.

There's also Metal Gear Rising, which is the best game in the franchise. Totally different genre though, and as a spinoff it doesn't really connect to the main story (if you're concerned with that).

-Deimos

Halp me GAF!

MGS4 is not by far the worst. Definitely play it if you can.

Order of release.

I heard MGS4 is by far the worst in the series. Can I skip it and get away with it? Should I even play the game for story?

It is GAF's GotY twice.

Let that sink in for a sec.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Just play in release order.

MGS3 is the worst because the controls are hideous.

Wish it had MGS4 controls, would have been so much better.

*edit

The 3DS version controls a lot better than the others. Go for that one. (This only applies if you could handle the PSP version if peace Walker. For most people, the 3ds is the worst.)

Thanks for the flurry of responses everyone, I appreciate it.

I might have to watch MGS4 on YouTube, but I think my wife and I can manage to play through the older ones.

Sorry if this thread is redundant or stupid. =(

Coflash

Play them in the order they were released in. It might not be chronological, but if you play it that way things will evolve for you nicely (controls, graphic etc), plus they don't necessarily need to be played in chronological order for any good reason.

I don't get the hate for MGS4 either. It was a great MGS game, although it felt a little too easy at times.

Hypron

MGS4 is not by far the worst. Definitely play it if you can.

In fact it's got the best gameplay of the original series imo.

And if I were to rank how much I enjoyed the games' stories it'd go something like 3 > 4 > 2 > 1

The 3DS version controls a lot better than the others. Go for that one. (This only applies if you could handle the PSP version if peace Walker. For most people, the 3ds is the worst.)

The game also runs at 20fps instead of close to 60fps, which is why most people consider it to be the worst.

I also disagree that the MGS3 controls are terrible. There are two things I don't like: D-Pad to stalk and the same button being used for strangling and stabbing dudes. But otherwise it's fine.

Thanks for the flurry of responses everyone, I appreciate it.

I might have to watch MGS4 on YouTube, but I think my wife and I can manage to play through the older ones.

Sorry if this thread is redundant or stupid. =(

Well this thread got redundant and stupid now.

Halp me GAF!

MGS 4 is a great game, yes it's story heavy (which some people don't like) but there is still plenty of game to enjoy too and the graphics are great. I personally think MGS 2 is the worst game in the series due to various reasons, one major one in particular, which I won't spoil for you but most fans know what I'm talking about.

I plan on it! Looks fantastic lol When I buy Vanquish I'm gonna buy Revengeance with it as well.

post-23470-Jeremiah-Johnson-nod-cropped-g-jtcK.gif

This guy is going places

MGS 4 is a great game, yes it's story heavy (which some people don't like) but there is still plenty of game to enjoy too and the graphics are great. I personally think MGS 2 is the worst game in the series due to various reasons, one major one in particular, which I won't spoil for you but most fans know what I'm talking about.

Switch to Raiden? I'm vaguely familiar with a lot of it.

post-23470-Jeremiah-Johnson-nod-cropped-g-jtcK.gif

This guy is going places

I never got to finish it, but Vanquish was melt my face off frantic fun that has been unmatched since lol. I need it back in my life.

ramyeon

I think people are missing the point. He's not skipping 4 because it's bad, he doesn't have a system to play it on. I'm in the same boat. I played 1, 2 and 3 back when they came out but I never had a PS3. I've recently bought a PS4 and no matter how much I want to play MGS4 I just cannot justify forking out more money for a PS3 and the game at the moment. Since it's the conclusion to the Solid Snake story I don't think it's vital for the story arc that TPP will likely cover and it should be fine to come back and play it at a later date.

I think people are missing the point. He's not skipping 4 because it's bad, he doesn't have a system to play it on. I'm in the same boat. I played 1, 2 and 3 back when they came out but I never had a PS3. I've recently bought a PS4 and no matter how much I want to play MGS4 I just cannot justify forking out more money for a PS3 and the game at the moment. Since it's the conclusion to the Solid Snake story I don't think it's vital for the story arc that TPP will likely cover and it should be fine to come back and play it at a later date.

Thank you for that =)

jesu

He did mention that he heard it is by far the worse MGS.
Wherever he read that could probably convince him every game ever was shite.

can't you borrow a ps3 or something?

I don't have anyone available to borrow one. I suppose I could try though. I recently went back to school and we don't have a ton of money right now, so I'm trying to see what I can possibly skip without impacting my experience with the Phantom Pain (first time I will ever get to play a MGS game on it's current generation of release).

Also, I have made my wife allergic of PS3's cuz I'm a baboon that bought a PS3 and sold it almost immediately only to rush back out to the store and get one a year later because of a little game called The Last of Us. You can probably guess that I sold it soon after.

Thank God I'm over that buffoonery.

EDIT: GEEZ this Edge browser for Windows 10 is glitching out like crazy... Horrendous.

Z..

Darn.

I was afraid of this response. Essentially all of the story is essential to understand what's going on? I mean, that's fine as a series, but I was just hoping I wouldn't have to invest so much time and money into playing them on different platforms. Buying a PS3 is out of the question right now, so I guess I'll work through the original, get the HD collection on the 360 (has 2, 3 and Peacemaker) and I'll watch a play through of MGS4 on YouTube.

I just downloaded Ground Zeros for free on Xbox Live, but I don't want to start it if playing the other games are essential to understanding the events/characters.

Do that but ignore 4. Play it/watch it AFTER Phantom Pain, thus completing your MGS journey. It is the end, after all.

zkorejo

1 - 3 - 2 - 4 would make the most sense.

You dont really have to play 4 if you cant. But you should atleast youtube the story. Its the conclusion to the whole story. Your journey wouldnt be complete without it.

Top Bottom