• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Series: Where to Start?

I don't have anyone available to borrow one. I suppose I could try though. I recently went back to school and we don't have a ton of money right now, so I'm trying to see what I can possibly skip without impacting my experience with the Phantom Pain (first time I will ever get to play a MGS game on it's current generation of release).

Also, I have made my wife allergic of PS3's cuz I'm a baboon that bought a PS3 and sold it almost immediately only to rush back out to the store and get one a year later because of a little game called The Last of Us. You can probably guess that I sold it soon after.

Thank God I'm over that buffoonery.

EDIT: GEEZ this Edge browser for Windows 10 is glitching out like crazy... Horrendous.

wait, are you saying you didn't like TLOU or that your girlfriend made you return the second ps3?

Disgraced

I think people are missing the point. He's not skipping 4 because it's bad, he doesn't have a system to play it on. I'm in the same boat. I played 1, 2 and 3 back when they came out but I never had a PS3. I've recently bought a PS4 and no matter how much I want to play MGS4 I just cannot justify forking out more money for a PS3 and the game at the moment. Since it's the conclusion to the Solid Snake story I don't think it's vital for the story arc that TPP will likely cover and it should be fine to come back and play it at a later date.
Yeah. If you can't play MGS4 before playing V and you want to know it I'd recommend at least watching Chip & Ironicus' let's play of MGS4. There's two versions of the LP, one with commentary over the story and one without for your preference. Phantom Pain may not touch on it too hard, but you never know and it might be worth it if you're interested in this sort of thing. The only other alternative I can think of is watching someone's edit of all the story together if you just want that part. Or you could always just wait and play the game when you can of course, but then you're still at risk of it being spoiled in MGSV, but that's only an issue if spoilers bother you.

He did mention that he heard it is by far the worse MGS.
Wherever he read that could probably convince him every game ever was shite.

At the time of researching the game, I came across several threads and videos talking about how the story is horrible compared to the other games, the conclusion is lame and downright contradictory to what the series built up, and there wasn't enough gameplay to satisfy most people because of the long cut scenes.

I know the MGS community is very passionate (for good reason), but this was the prevailing opinion that I was coming across at the time.

wait, are you saying you didn't like TLOU or that your girlfriend made you return the second ps3?

My wife and I hated the Last of Us so much we played it in 2 sittings and replayed it together the following week. Then I showed it to a non-gamer friend. He hated it so much he rushed out and bought it and played it with his wife. Haha

We have gone through some rock and instable times, so the least used devices were the first to go. Looking back it was unnecessary, but seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

Business

why does this question come up so often, do people not understand numbers?

1, 2, 3, 4
go left to right.

if you speak arabic, here you go, 4, 3, 2, 1

Because the story goes back and forth in time people somehow think they should play the games in some weird order.

1, 2, 3, 4
go left to right.

Seriously. Anyone who says to skip something or to play the games in chronological order to "understand the story" is ironically missing the point of the story.

1,2,3,4,Peace Walker, then V. That is how the games came out. That's how you should play them. Skipping something in a story heavy series just because "some people didn't like it" is dumb. This seems like such an unnecessaryily problimatic question that has popped up more and more in recent years

Not that I'm ragging on the OP or anything. Just speaking more in general. You don't have a PS3 so you can't play MGS4. That's fine. You can't do anything about that except watch the story on YouTube I suppose. If I may suggest, try ChipCheezum's LP of it. Goes into great detail of the game so you can see what gameplay elements you'll be missing out on and other highlights in MGS4 not present in cutscenes.

robotrock

Banned
1 - 3 - 2 - 4 would make the most sense.

You dont really have to play 4 if you cant. But you should atleast youtube the story. Its the conclusion to the whole story. Your journey wouldnt be complete without it.

How does that make any sense?

I mean, I definitely get putting 4 after 2.(I still wouldn't do it) But why is 3 sandwiched between 1 and 2?

Seriously. Anyone who says to skip something or to play the games in chronological order to "understand the story" is ironically missing the point of the story.

1,2,3,4,Peace Walker, then V. That is how the games came out. That's how you should play them. Skipping something in a story heavy series just because "some people didn't like it" is dumb. This seems like such an unnecessaryily problimatic question that has popped up more and more in recent years

Not that I'm ragging on the OP or anything. Just speaking more in general. You don't have a PS3 so you can't play MGS4. That's fine. You can't do anything about that except watch the story on YouTube I suppose. If I may suggest, try ChipCheezum's LP of it. Goes into great detail of the game so you can see what gameplay elements you'll be missing out on and other highlights in MGS4 not present in cutscenes.

I don't understand why people can't understand why someone might ask. I have limited time, but want to enjoy the most recent entry to the series. I don't need to be told "play all of the games idiot", because yeah, that would do the job. That's not what I was asking for though.

How does that make any sense?

I mean, I definitely get putting 4 after 2.(I still wouldn't do it) But why is 3 sandwiched between 1 and 2?

One of the biggest reasons is simply game mechanics. It would kind of suck going from more refined controls in MGS3 down to MGS1. This way you start at the beginning and they evolve naturally, the way they did for those who played them as they released.

I don't understand why people can't understand why someone might ask. I have limited time, but want to enjoy the most recent entry to the series. I don't need to be told "play all of the games idiot", because yeah, that would do the job. That's not what I was asking for though.

Nobody's calling you an idiot buddy. You asked us where should you start in the series and most people are telling you from the beginning. I mean if you really want to play TPP day 1 then play the games however you want I guess. In the end it's up to you on if you experience the games through release order, YouTube, or whatever else suites you.

This is the true order:

3, Metal Gear 2, 4, Acid, Peace Walker, Metal Gear Pachinko, 1, VR Missions, NES Metal Gear, 2

Because why the fuck not? The story doesn't make sense in any order.

Nobody's calling you an idiot buddy. You asked us where should you start in the series and most people are telling you from the beginning. I mean if you really want to play TPP day 1 then play the games however you want I guess. In the end it's up to you on if you experience the games through release order, YouTube, or whatever else suites you.

Sorry, my statement was less directed at you, but towards some here that think it's cute to say "gawd, why do people keep asking this. Play games in order, it's easy. You just count. DUH."

Long drawn out series tend to draw in people late into the game and sometimes it's generally agreed upon in a community on which game/movie/book can be skipped to save time if need be.

Thanks for your responses/suggestions.

This is the true order:

3, Metal Gear 2, 4, Acid, Peace Walker, Metal Gear Pachinko, 1, VR Missions, NES Metal Gear, 2

LOL

Switch to Raiden? I'm vaguely familiar with a lot of it.

Yes that, fair enough, I didn't want to say anything just in case. Raiden is just not a badass like Snake, he was better in his own spin off game but in MGS 2 he was really annoying.

Also the the story near the end game gets really deep and far more convoluted then it ever needs to be, with a hell of a lot of talking near the end game.

MGS 4 might be story heavy too but it is much easier to follow than MGS 2's over complicated plot. I definitely enjoyed 4 far more than 2.

Disgraced

This is the true order:

I wish I could erase my memory to actually do that while doing drugs. Or maybe I can do it anyway, I'll just have to take enough drugs to erase my memory!

Don't actually do that many drugs.

PillarEN

Play 1,2,3 if you only have a PS2.
I myself am going through the franchise in release order and finished MGS1 last week. I'm going to play through the HD collection and 4 though as a PS3 is at my disposal

xyzls

When MGS Collection came out, it displayed the games in this order
Disk 1: MGS3, Peace Walker, MGS2
Disk 2: MGS4
Download: MGS1

Kojima thinks you should play in that order. Even his Twitter account says so. MGS1 is download because it's hard for most people to play this game in this age.

Remember, it's not "What's the best order for me to revisit this franchise", because hell yeah, answer to that is 1234PWGZ. Question is "What's the best order to get introduced to this franchise".

Starting at MGS1 is a horrible idea because it's so dated in comparison to everything currently out. There's so much you have to actively tolerate before you find the gem in the franchise, and if you fail the tolerance, you'll quit the franchise.

On the otherhand, MGS3 is a masterpiece. The story is awesome, characters are intriguing and cutscenes are hilarious, and that's enough to get most people over to finish the game and it brings enough curiousity over the story for one start on the remaining games.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Play 1, 2, 3, 4, GZ.

For the love of god never, ever play Twin Snakes

Hypron

When MGS Collection came out, it displayed the games in this order
Disk 1: MGS3, Peace Walker, MGS2
Disk 2: MGS4
Download: MGS1

Kojima thinks you should play in that order. Even his Twitter account says so. MGS1 is download because it's hard for most people to play this game in this age.

Remember, it's not "What's the best order for me to revisit this franchise", because hell yeah, answer to that is 1234PWGZ. Question is "What's the best order to get introduced to this franchise".

Starting at MGS1 is a horrible idea because it's so dated in comparison to everything currently out. There's so much you have to actively tolerate before you find the gem in the franchise, and if you fail the tolerance, you'll quit the franchise.

On the otherhand, MGS3 is a masterpiece. The story is awesome, characters are intriguing and cutscenes are hilarious, and that's enough to get most people over to finish the game and it brings enough curiousity over the story for one start on the remaining games.

No, starting with MGS 1 is an excellent idea because it's the first game in the series and all the other games build on that both mechanically and story-wise.

Any other order is a clusterfuck. You will miss on tons of references (playing MGS2 before 1 especially. Why the heck would you want to do that?), and you don't get this progressive addition of gameplay mechanics.

If you really want this hook to get into the series, play Ground Zeroes first (which is what I did). It's short so you can easily play it again after finishing the rest. And that time you'll go "well now I understand what those guys are talking about".

Honestly with how much the series has changed over the years I almost think your missing little from not playing the others on a gameplay level

From a story perspective this is set chronologically after
Mgs3 > peace walker > ground zeroes > mgs5

Mgs3 was fantastic and is worth a play trough but honestly after that you could probably skip the rest till later

BlueWord

Just play in release order.

MGS3 is the worst because the controls are hideous.

Wish it had MGS4 controls, would have been so much better.

*edit

The 3DS version controls a lot better than the others. Go for that one. (This only applies if you could handle the PSP version if peace Walker. For most people, the 3ds is the worst.)

Holy wow, this is terrible.

Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, DO NOT play MGS3DS over the original your first time through.

shocky2002

Neo Member
Don't fall for the play it in release order fad. MGS3 HD first is the way to go. You're going to fume in rage if you play MGS1 first because of the shitty controls and camera. It's an 18 year old game that doesn't age very well gameplay wise. 3 on the other hand still plays well even by today's standards.

Then go 1, 2, watch 4 on youtube, read PW plot on the MGS wiki, play GZ, and you're off.

ramyeon

Don't fall for the play it in release order fad. MGS3 HD first is the way to go. You're going to fume in rage if you play MGS1 first because of the shitty controls and camera. It's an 18 year old game that doesn't age very well gameplay wise. 3 on the other hand still plays well even by today's standards.

Then go 1, 2, watch 4 on youtube, read PW plot on the MGS wiki, play GZ, and you're off.
It would be even harder to go back to 1 if you played 3 first. Release order is the best way to play them, period. Not only because that's the order in which the story was meant to be consumed (Regardless of time line placement) but also because the game mechanics steadily improve with each instalment.

If you fume and rage playing MGS1 because it's an 18 year old game then playing it after MGS3 isn't going to make it any easier to get through for you.

Hypron

It would be even harder to go back to 1 if you played 3 first. Release order is the best way to play them, period. Not only because that's the order in which the story was meant to be consumed (Regardless of time line placement) but also because the game mechanics steadily improve with each instalment.

If you fume and rage playing MGS1 because it's an 18 year old game then playing it after MGS3 isn't going to make it any easier to get through for you.

Yeah. You're going to go from a game that's pretty mechanically refined and makes full use of the controller to a game that doesn't even support the analog sticks. If one can't get through MGS1 straight away, like you said, playing through it after MGS3 will just make it worse.

Each game takes the previous one as a basis and refines the control scheme, the camera, the animation fluidity, etc., and adds entirely new mechanics. It feels like a logical progression.

Arzehn

MGS4 is the best one, don't skip it. It plays the best, the cut-scenes are unmatched, and it's the conclusion to the series.

Choomp

Banned
You should really play the games in order of release but I guess if you wanna just get to TPP by the time it comes out you can just do 3, PW and GZ.

Fractal

Banned

1, 2, 3, 4
go left to right.

Pretty much this... I find these threads equally puzzling. Remember seeing a Witcher one recently as well.

DesuNe

Just play them in release order. 1, 2, 3, 4, Peace Walker. You can skip Portable Ops. Then Ground Zeroes.

It's the type of series that you need to fully digest.

If you don't want to do this then you probably won't fully enjoy the game for the nuances and can just play this as a random open world game.

Ran rp

Release order, always. Never Twin Snakes. Never skip a mainline entry unless you don't have the required console (MGS4).

Why is this so hard.

cooreets

Neo Member
MGS3 still plays really well, I'd recommend you to start there. Not that the first two aren't any good, but they are pretty old is all.

Moongazer

Depends on how much of the overall MGS story you want to understand. Obviously playing all the games in release order will get you the most complete experience. If you really want the bare minimum to sorta of understand MGSV then playing through the 'prequel' games would be enough (MGS3, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes).

All of the MGS tie into one another so my advice personally would be to go through all the games when you actually have the time set aside to do so and not worry about playing MGSV as soon as it releases and getting a lesser experience because you may not be up to speed on everything that has happened in the series.

if you can only play 1, 2 and 3 then play those. 4 is worth seeing I think. Its fucking crazy. But play 1, then 2 will smack you around some, mentally I mean, and then 3 is a nice simple spy romp.

Gun Animal

Just play MGSV, just jump right in. I always reccomend that people start with the newest game, the story is only hard to understand if you're touched in the head.

Javier23

Banned
You have a PS2 and limited time. I hear you. Play through MGS3 (it's not a very long game), youtube Peace Walker (not a very good game), and play Ground Zeroes. Done, save for the usual easter eggs and humorous references to games set later in the series chronology you'll be perfectly fine following the plot. Ignore all the MGS hardcore fans who'll tell you that not playing through every single entry in the series before is akin to murdering a virgin and drinking her blood.

Always release order. Always. Imagine starting with Star Wars Episode 1, getting to Empire Strikes Back and just sitting there like "...yeah, so?" when the big twist happens. You don't want that.

A full series playthrough of 1, 2, 3, 4, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes is obviously the best way to go, but it's a 70+ hour time commitment (and you will not understand MGS2 your first time through :p). If you really just want the quickest possible primer for MGSV, though, an afternoon on the MGS Wiki will probably get you up to speed. Look for the articles on The Boss, The Patriots and the Les Enfants Terribles Project and you'll get the main thrust of the most important events in the whole saga.

Release order. What is it about Metal Gear that makes people forget how numbers work? The only one that should trip anyone up is Peace Walker.

And play 4, it's a fantastic game, the only bad thing people have to say about it is that it had long cutscenes and gets a hammy in some parts (like every game in the series), plus it's got some of the best moments in the series along with 3. Not to mention it would be a total waste to play the all of the games and not play 4 because it's the chronological end of the story.

Kazuhira

1->2->3->4->Peace Walker->Ground Zeroes->The Phantom Pain
If you want to play Rising,wait until you finish mgs4 and then you can play it in any order because it´s a standalone game with no connections with PW/GZ/TPP.

Rolodzeo

I started with MGS3, then 1-2-4-Portable Ops+. I regret nothing (except 4). I've tried Peace Walker twice, didn't like it at all.

Also, 4 killed the franchise for me. Seriously.

zoodoo

Just do like me. I started with 3 and loved it. Then I went back to 1 followed by 2. 4 is the icing on the cake.
From there if you really enjoy the series go play the rest

If you don't have a PS3, that's fine. You can watch the movie cuts of MGS4 and Peace Walker on Youtube after finishing the first three games.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
In order of release.

I know I say this in every thread possible. But its true.

They really need to redo MGS1 in the Fox Engine. Even if it is not perfect.

Playing a PS1 game that is absolutely essential to the story is just too much of a barrier for entry for any new fans to get on board.

I would love for some of my friends who now have PS4's to get into MGS, but asking them to start off by playing MGS1 on PS1 is just too much to ask for the average gamer. And yes, there is twin snakes, but its honestly not much more tolerable for people.

They need to remake MGS1 in Fox Engine, port MGSHD collection 1080p60fps with 2/3/PW, throw in a remaster of 4 1080p 60fps, and boom. Done. Millions of possible new fans.

They really should have done this pre MGSV. Say what you want about Halo MCC, as far as SP goes, it is a GREAT way to get new fans into the series before Halo 5 that otherwise would have missed it.

Do not play them "chronologically," start with 1 and go through 4.

I actually do recommend playing this chronologically..... IF, you've already played through them all before at least

I did a Chrono-run a few years back and it does give a nice, fresh perspective. Only game I couldn't finish was MG2:SS.... game is a slog

Anth0ny

KmqnO52.jpg

Buy this. Play MGS 1, 2 and 3.

Find a way to play 4. You can probably find a used PS3 for less than $150 at this point, and MGS4 for less than $10.

butman

Guys,

I want to play Big Boss's Metal gear games before TPP release. Now i have a Vita and a PS4. And the only way that i can play MGS3 and PW are by buying HD collection and getting PSP version of PW from the store.

- Do i miss too much by not playing the HD version of PW from PS3 version of the HD Collection?
- Are Vita controls well adapted to MGS2 and 3?

Thanks!

Guys,

I want to play Big Boss's Metal gear games before TPP release. Now i have a Vita and a PS4. And the only way that i can play MGS3 and PW are by buying HD collection and getting PSP version of PW from the store.

Do i miss too much by not playing the HD version of PW from PS3 version of the HD Collection?

Thanks!

Having played and beaten both PW PSP and HD, I'd say go with the PSP version, if only because it's more amazing when played on a handheld in regards to what they were able to pull off... not to mention it's structured to be played in smaller increments.

And yes, if you have a Vita, buy the HD collection and then PW off the store.

Top Bottom