• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would I be considered weird in the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDanger

Banned
I'm 20 and my girlfriend is 16, almost 17, we got together when she was 15 and I was 19.

Totally legal in my country of course.

I would say you would be considered weird in most western countries.

I'm in England and anyone who got with someone at 15 when 19 would be looked at weirdly I think

yeah that's weird and not only in the US
thinking.gif

legality doesn't matter tbh, most laws are stupid af

In my opinion anyone who has to say "X almost Y" to describe someone's age means that someone is too young to date. But that's just me though (I'm in the US).

TheDanger

Banned
huh totally normal in Austria, at least in my area. I know 15 year olds who have bfs over 20.

In my opinion anyone who has to say "X almost Y" to describe someone's age means that someone is too young to date. But that's just me though (I'm in the US).

I don't really get that, but if that's what you believe.

When you're a bit older that age gap is nothing but at that age it's magnified.

Yeah it's legal in the UK, but I wouldn't want to be the 20yo boyfriend meeting the father of a girlfriend who's just done her GCSEs.

Kozak

Banned
I find that weird (Aus) but only because 16 year olds look like children to me @ 23. I feel like you would be at such different points of your lives that it would be kind of tiresome?

Forget the worldwide legality, how do you feel about that morally?
Coz personally, dating a child is weird as heck to me...and makes me wonder why you think its fine...or feel the need to brag about it.

Rule: when you have to use 'she's almost X' when mentioning her age, she is too young.

Edit: seems like I'm not the only one. Yes, it is strange even if legal.

Coz personally, dating a child is weird as heck to me...and makes me wonder why you think its fine...or feel the need to brag about it.

Or more curiously, how one could stand it. I can't even stand to be around most younger 20-somethings, let alone a teenager.

injurai

Banned

I'd in many ways still consider a 19 year old to be a child.

Qurupeke

Not US here, but I'd consider it not normal. The age gap isn't that big but you're someone that has finished school, you probably have already a job and living your life. She's technically a kid yet, maybe more mature(or immature) for her age. Maybe you're living two very different lives. It's legal, sure, but it doesn't mean much.

TheDanger

Banned
Because here in the US the only people who say "x almost y" are children. Like, an adult doesn't care they're 'almost' an age. That's kid stuff.

But if she is waaay closer to 17 than 16 why wouldn't I say she is 17 soon?

Not US here, but I'd consider it not normal. The age gap isn't that big but you're someone that has finished school, you probably have already a job and living your life. She's technically a kid yet, maybe more mature(or immature) for her age. Maybe you're living two very different lives. It's legal, sure, but it doesn't mean much.

So you're saying I shouldn't be with her because we have different lives, even though we are happy together?

Catdaddy

I was 19 and my now wife was 16 when we met. I knew of other couples that were similar. Now that was years ago, but there was a five year buffer before it was a considered a 'crime' , pretty sure there's a minimum age but 16 was fine.

Follow your heart and don't be intimidated by the puritans.
However, do understand that the age of consent in the US is 18
So you need to wait for two years before engaging in any sexual activities

However, I hope everything is equal and consensual between you two and you don't push her into doings things she says she's not ready for. Younger people are always impressionable but she's no child though.
She's pretty close to an adult, the word is adolescent. I would consider 13 and below to be a child. SMH at people here pretending like 16 year olds are Disney & Barbie loving toddlers

It's pretty common in my country to say for example: He's gonna be 50 in April.
50 is a milestone age. You're probably not saying that for 49 or 32 or whatever.

What country is this?

Btw, do what you want, but I wouldn't expect a real relationship with someone who's 16. I couldn't do it.

TheDanger

Banned
Follow your heart and don't be intimidated by the puritans.
However, do understand that the age of consent in the US is 18
So you need to wait for two years before engaging in any sexual activities

However, I hope everything is equal and consensual between you two and you don't push her into doings things she says she's not ready for. Younger people are always impressionable but she's no child though.
She's pretty close to an adult, the word is adolescent. I would consider 13 and below to be a child. SMH at people here pretending like 16 year olds are Disney & Barbie loving toddlers

I don't need to pressure her into anything when it comes to sex, she's very kinky and very sexual in general.

In my country it's technically legal if a 14 year old has sex with a 50 year old if he or she consents.

EloKa

isn't there this unspoken "half your age + minimum 7" rule?
like you're 20, half of it is 10, add 7 and you get a "should at least be 17"

TheDanger

Banned
isn't there this unspoken "half your age + minimum 7" rule?
like you're 20, half of it is 10, add 7 and you get a "should at least be 17"

ok then I'm fine soon, when I get 21 I'm weird again.

rules like that are pretty ridiculous imo.

Undead

I'm 20 and my girlfriend is 16, almost 17, we got together when she was 15 and I was 19.

Totally legal in my country of course.

If it's legal and the two of you are happy then who gives a fuck what anyone else thinks?
Live your life and be happy.

Isn't the question why would you want to be with someone in that phase of their life? I understand physically why. 16 year old girls are attractive. They were attractive when I was 16, they're still attractive when I'm 30. Physically. But once you yourself are older and at a different point in life, what's not attractive is everything other than the physical.

You are dating someone that still lives their lives in a regimented manner, having to go to classes, having to listen to teachers, having to be home by a certain time. You're essentially dating someone in a cage because of all the basic societal norms we impose on people who are not at least out of high school. I'm going to assume your country isn't that wildly different than a place like the US. Surely your girl does still go to school, is still essentially treated as a child by most adults, business, the government, etc.

So again, why would I want to date someone not as 'free' as me. Someone who can do anything they want, like I can. Someone who is in a similar stage in life as me or at least not in that murky section of childhood.

Otherwise, the age gap isn't much of a big deal.

Depends by state, actually. It's between 16-18.

Blue 16.
Puke green 17
Bright Green 18.

Oh wow! Why all the hue and cry then?

I don't need to pressure her into anything when it comes to sex, she's very kinky and very sexual in general.

Oh lord, I can't think of an appropriate response to this... ahahaha!
Good for you I suppose. But yes, people will raise their eyebrows at this...

Is she tall for her age? That might offset the weirdness.

TheDanger

Banned
Isn't the question why would you want to be with someone in that phase of their life? I understand physically why. 16 year old girls are attractive. They were attractive when I was 16, they're still attractive when I'm 30. Physically. But once you yourself are older and at a different point in life, what's not attractive is everything other than the physical.

You are dating someone that still lives their lives in a regimented manner, having to go to classes, having to listen to teachers, having to be home by a certain time. You're essentially dating someone in a cage because of all the basic societal norms we impose on people who are not at least out of high school. I'm going to assume your country isn't that wildly different than a place like the US. Surely your girl does still go to school, is still essentially treated as a child by most adults, business, the government, etc.

So again, why would I want to date someone not as 'free' as me. Someone who can do anything they want, like I can. Someone who is in a similar stage in life as me or at least not in that murky section of childhood.

Otherwise, the age gap isn't much of a big deal.

I'd say it's very different in Austria, I was allowed to stay out until midnight when I didn't have school the next day at 10. At 15 I could pretty much do what i want.

We can also drink beer and wine at 16.

My girlfriend's parents are very lenient, I'm staying there almost every weekend since we're together and her parents seem to like me very much knowing full well I'm fucking their daughter under their roof. They even paid for her hormonal spiral.

Qurupeke

So you're saying I shouldn't be with her because we have different lives, even though we are happy together?

Of course not. I'm just saying that you should wait before anything more serious. Don't do something that will stop her from going to college, finishing school, socialize on school etc. As I said, the gap isn't big, it's not like she's 14 or 15. It's 1 or 2 years and she can be independent.

I'd say it's very different in Austria, I was allowed to stay out until midnight when I didn't have school the next day at 10.

So, fair point then. If your country and culture is one that essentially trusts children that much, it is obvious that other more 'conservative' countries might see many things, not just your relationship, as weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom