• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer ranks bests and worsts of Mass Effect

Tyler Wilde of PCG conducted a survey, of albeit, a little over a thousand people, men aged 18-34, about the ME games, and published an article about his findings.

56% voted Me2 to be the best game
ZcF0O9FYSB2D.PNG

And surprisingly, Me1 was voted the worst, by almost 50%.
3rKOKbkqRgK0.PNG

And Liara was the most romanced character
Q3YDCg4ARBO5.png

more stats here

senahorse

Playing KOTOR 2 at the moment, I must say I prefer the style of ME1, but the game and environments were just so bland compared to the following games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I am not in the least bit surprised to see Mass Effect 2 gauged as the best. I don't know if I'd call it my favourite, but I think it's the most consistent of the lot. Most fans I speak to cite it as their favourite.

Very surprised to see Mass Effect 1 edge out Mass Effect 3, by near 10% at that, as least favourite though.

SerTapTap

Surprised by the lack of ME1 praise, but I feel that's more come about as part of the ME3 ending backlash (and more general ME3 backlash).

41.6% of people romanced the space racist?!

Mass Effect 2 is a great game, but a terrible Mass Effect 2.

Also, gotta say I'm shocked to see Morinth's romance preference beat even Jacob's. That's probably my biggest surprise of all these stats. (Her beating the ME3 characters doesn't surprise me... replaying ME3 generally isn't a priority.)

I'd say it's pretty accurate, ME1 while definitely a better "RPG" was IMO a worse game. Inventory was clumsy, some of the combat early on was awful, some weapon combos were game breaking, and the Mako was horrible.

Linkark07

Banned
Can understand why people dislike ME1.

Still, it is a shame Bioware got rid of planet exploration with ME2 and especially the 3rd one.

Kathian

Banned
ME1 control scheme is superior to ME2; also I don't get why the destroy so much of the first game going into the second. I was looking forward to more time with my gang and them shitty plot reasons interrupt me :(

ME2 has a lot of strengths though; I just think the first game is the more rounded package and ME2 doesn't build on that enough.

Still to play three.

SkylineRKR

This is also my sequence.

ME2 is the best game. ME3 has very good gameplay and a fun little multiplayer. ME1 has clunky controls and I just didn't enjoy it as much though its still a good game.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Should have chosen Blue, Green, and Red as colors for that chart. And set all numbers to 33%.

People are unable to not speak in hyperbole when discussing ME3. It doesn't suck at all. It has flaws with the storytelling but the gameplay is the best of the series.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ME3 multiplayer is secret best Mass Effect.

Mass Effect: Andromeda will be best in the series. Second best for Mass Effect 1 loyalists.

Grisby

Yeah, Me2 is the best mass effect by far.

But I was a Tali guy myself (liara all the way for my femshep run though).

DedValve

Banned
A know some people disliked ME2 for the filler-ish story but I think thats why its so beloved.

Don't need no stupid reapers, just need to go around the galaxy, making a kickass team and doing a kickass mission with said team.

I agree. Even though ME1 will always be my cherished I felt ME2 was better overall. ME3 was supposed to be the chosen one :(

jediyoshi

That's correct, ME1 worship is not mainstream despite seeming to be the majority opinion here.

ME2 4 lyfe yo.

I think a lot of ME1 adoration comes from the romanticized ideal of what Mass Effect was in contrast to how it eventually evolved into the series it is now. Going down the line, the part where it became a better game overall felt like a shift in focus away from some of those things.

My smile is gone for good at seeing the ME1 hate.

I would say I enjoyed ME2 the most as a game, but ME1-2.9 were all pretty darn good minus a few issues.

ME3's multiplayer was pretty rad, though.

Rad-

Me1 is a better rpg.
Me2 is a better game.
Me3 just sucks.

I wouldn't go as far as to say ME3 plain sucks, it wasn't a bad game but it was pretty dull compared to the first two and of course lol ending. Other than that I agree with you on the ranking.

Me1 is a better rpg.
Me2 is a better game.
Me3 just sucks.

ME3 has tighter gameplay mechanics than 2 and even though its ending was a profound disappointment, the story up until that point was everything I could have hoped for and then some. Disregarding that awful ninja antagonist bullshit, the game sold the feeling of real bleakness better than I expected it to. I really valued how shit hit the fan immediately in that game and never ever let up. It's the best example of an apocalypse-in-progress that I've ever played.

hydruxo

Definitely agree with ME2 being the best, but ME1 is still special for me despite it's flaws.

For me it goes ME2 > ME1 > ME3

Top Bottom