• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Playstation & Disney have a special relationship this gen?

Gowans

Playstation and Disney seem to be tight this gen.

With Disney Infinity timed exclusive sets coming to Playstation, Grim Fandago and Day of the Tenticle remakes being console exclusive and the Battlefront Exclusive on Marketing for the game for Playstation seem to be in big with Disney.

Or is this just down to Playstation VP of Third Party Relations Adam Boyes being best friends and former room mate of Disneys VP of game production John Vignocch?

Also now John Drake from Harmonix has joined the third party team they have a timed exclusive with Rock Band songs, wonder if we see more there?

Luke_Wal

John Vignocchi (VP of Production for Disney Infinity) and Adam Boyes (VP of Developer & Publisher Relations at PlayStation, and the guy who always does the third party segments at the press conferences) used to be roommates and are still pretty good friends, which is probably why they enjoy working together.

Sony is paying for these exclusives. It isn't that Disney or anyone else prefers Sony to Nintendo or Microsoft. Sony is writing fat checks for the exclusives.

/thread

playstation is leading, businesses like money.

its not like ms said something about disneys boyfriend and now disney like, totallly wont even talk to that bitch

This has already been mentioned in this thread, but it probably helps that, in the words of Jeff Gerstmann (paraphrasing) "almost like a guy at Playstation who could negotiate these deals, and a guy at Disney who could negotiate these deals used to be roommates at some point".

John Vignocchi (VP of Production for Disney Infinity) and Adam Boyes (VP of Developer & Publisher Relations at PlayStation, and the guy who always does the third party segments at the press conferences) used to be roommates and are still pretty good friends, which is probably why they enjoy working together.

This is the one id say.
Though being the leader right know also helps.

Bingo you got it right here, and its because of that good relationship that Sony & Disney work really well this gen.

New002

It has nothing to do with market share according to Phil Spencer.

Yeah...

Did he comment on this? I don't follow Destiny news much. Regardless, a person in his position is not going to come out and say oh we're not getting deals because our competitor is crushing us in sales. They're going to dodge that and talk around it all day. It doesn't matter if it's obvious to everyone. Again, business.

Circinus

Sony did negotiate with marvel/Disney in regards to spiderman so they are on good terms as of late.

Yeah, but those are completely different subsidiaries/divisions/departments and aren't the ones OP is meaning. (OP is referring to Sony Computer Entertainment America and Disney Interactive)

This is probably one of the reasons.

Also, if I'm not mistaken Gio Corsi (SCEA 3rd Party Production - director if I'm not mistaken) used to work at LucasArts as well, which might explain how he was able to sort out a deal Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle.

bombshell

Did he comment on this? I don't follow Destiny news much. Regardless, a person in his position is not going to come out and say oh we're not getting deals because our competitor is crushing us in sales. They're going to dodge that and talk around it all day. It doesn't matter if it's obvious to everyone. Again, business.

Yeah, he commented on Sony getting the arguably bigger third party marketing deals.

Gamespot: Microsoft appears to be doubling-down on its first-party titles while Sony is securing a lot of third-party deals. How difficult is it to be successful, in terms of market share, when Sony is gobbling up so many third-party deals now? How difficult does that make your job?

Phil: So, they don't "gobble" the deals up. They buy them. You know, I read the same things you do, and I know some people think it's somehow less expensive to sign third-party exclusives if you have a bigger market-share. I can tell you, it has nothing to do with market share.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-interview-phil-spencer-on-microsofts-firs/1100-6429471/

Now, one can argue how much market share means, but that it means literally nothing is just wrong.

Mr Moose

This. And money.

With Disney Infinity timed exclusive sets coming to Playstation, Grim Fandago and Day of the Tenticle remakes being console exclusive and the Battlefront Exclusive on Marketing for the game for Playstation seem to be in big with Disney.

Or is this just down to Playstation VP of Third Party Relations Adam Boyes being best friends and former room mate of Disneys VP of game production John Vignocch?

Also now John Drake from Harmonix has joined the third party team they have a timed exclusive with Rock Band songs, wonder if we see more there?

lol and people think the battlefront deal was because of EA, if EA had their way would have gone to MS IMO lol

Wil348

lol and people think the battlefront deal was because of EA, if EA had their way would have gone to MS IMO lol

They probably wouldn't have gone to Microsoft anyway if Battlefield 4 and Hardline are any indication. BF4 was neutral and Hardline was Playstation.

theecakee

Sure that probably has some to do with these deals going down, but ultimately its just Sony paying Disney money.

All about those connections in the business world.

Its easier to get deals done when executives are friends.

Its why MS and EA get along so well. Those two companies have traded executives so much over the last decade they all get on super well.

Connections! Networking! How does it work?

They had a good relationship with them last gen as well. And even ignoring the PS4 stuff, there's Disney Infinity 2.0 on the Vita, as well as Epic Mickey 2.

Son Of D

yep, there is that. but does their relationship boil out to their other departments as well?

Sony's Movie department and Playstation have little to do with each other. Else the Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper movies would be by Sony Animation.

Disney could buy Sony. I would think being room mates and market share are more a factor then money.

I'd love to see the reactions if that ever happened.

dolabla

It all started with this:

126470-L-LO.jpg

It actually doesn't look like a bad game. I think I'm gonna import it.

vongruetz

Banned
Johnny V and Adam Boyes are bros so that probably helps.

I want to say that Gio Corsi is in there too. I seem to remember a Tweet from a year ago about the three of them all having some massive July 4th cookout together. Corsi use to work at LucasArts, so I'm sure he still has some connections to the people who made the transition.

But between Johnny V, Boyes, and Corsi, there does seem to be a tight relationship developing.

Top Bottom