• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Playstation & Disney have a special relationship this gen?

stryke

They probably wouldn't have gone to Microsoft anyway if Battlefield 4 and Hardline are any indication. BF4 was neutral and Hardline was Playstation.

BF4 was not neutral. They had a marketing and DLC arrangement with Microsoft.

It all started with this:

Well, a year before that they ported this to Vita for some odd reason:

vitabox-220x.jpg

And they also seemed to have a hand in Disney Infinity 2.0 coming to Vita, too.

epmode

Boyes putting in the work. Refreshing to see.

Why would platform exclusions be refreshing to see? Because these aren't platform exclusives. We're seeing a ton of PS4+PC games after all.

So you're just happy to see games that will be unavailable to XBone owners?

GnawtyDog

Banned
Why would platform exclusions be refreshing to see? Because these aren't platform exclusives. We're seeing a ton of PS4+PC games after all.

So you're just happy to see games that will be unavailable to XBone owners?

What?

First of all low quality bait.

Second of all let me know which games I am happy seeing being unavailable to Xbox owners - get that counter going. I guess in a twisted way I could say SFV (and here's me saying so) but like I said, in a twisted way. Better to see the game release in 16 than wait for late 2017/18 or who knows when for that matter. The deal with Capcom as known to the public is "good".

As for Boyes...he does his job and he does it good (so far) and sometimes that benefits gamers....at times, including gamers on PC. He works for Sony, it's an either/or when it comes to Xbox. Not sure what you're mad about.

"Praising Boyes work = happy about seeing games unavailable to Xbox owners" is a stretch.

Hec don't buy a damn single console since that's explicit support to the companies that engage in questionable practices, including those of its execs. How ridiculous is that?

Buy SFV? No. Don't support Boyes work. Buy Grim Fandango on PS4? No. Don't support Boyes work. Shenmue 3? No. FFVII Remake? No...etc etc etc.

"..but but, you can buy it (seal of approval), just don't praise Boyes cause Xbox owners..."

...says who?

Even on the bigger picture, the work of the third party relations team at Sony, which Boyes heads is more or less setting the current standard for the industry when it comes to third party relations: from Indie treatment, to examples of initiatives to find partnerships and revive forgotten games or hatch deals with struggling developers etc. Nintendo should definitely take note and Xbox is already at it.

Fat4all

Banned
Adam Boyes is drinking buddies with half the people in the gaming industry, it seems. Dude seems like a cool cat.

I wouldn't mind drinking with him.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, Boyes and Capcoms Ono are good friends as well.

Don't forget that Gio Corsi, head of Third Party Production at PlayStation, used to apparently be pretty high up at LucasArts. That could be a huge factor in PlayStation helping get the remasters of classic LucasArts games get made.

lord_lad

Banned
Sony has a pretty good relationship with just about everyone right now.

I hope Sony can make amends of whatever beef Hideki Kamiya had with the playstation so that platinum can develop an exclusive for the PS4.

So far, the playstation (both 3 & 4) is the only platform Platinum has not release an exclusive game for....which doesn't make sense. All of their exclusive Wii/Wii-U games sold terribly (unfortunately) and Scalebound basically will get that 10 copies sale from Japan and that's it.

Hope Adam Boyles can work out something out with Platinum.

I hope Sony can make amends of whatever beef Hideki Kamiya had with the playstation so that platinum can develop an exclusive for the PS4.

So far, the playstation (both 3 & 4) is the only platform Platinum has not release an exclusive game for....which doesn't make sense. All of their exclusive Wii/Wii-U games sold terribly (unfortunately) and Scalebound basically will get that 10 copies sale from Japan and that's it.

Personal griefs on business standpoints are very childish. Is there really beef between Kamiya and Sony?

However, I think Sony is simply dominating in such a level that such collaborations are possible.

I'm so glad the Sony/Disney friends-with-benefits relationship brought us Grim Fandango.

Boyes, if you could become drinking buddies with Kamiya, that would be ace. (I feel like a parent inappropriately setting up their respectable adult child on a play date.)

RK128

You're forgetting about Nier 2 already ;)? We don't know if that's PS-Only yet, but right now its announced only for PS4....so its a PS4 exclusive (for now at least) by default :).

Hasspro

Neo Member

Platinum are making Nier 2 which is a PS4 Exclusive

Edit: beaten

robo

didn't Disney get Spiderman for the avengers movies for free from Sony, maybe its all linked and this was part of the deal as well?

Sony got to keep Spiderman
Disney get to use Spiderman free for the avengers
Sony gets Disney marketing rights for Disney games

Possible??

Nier 2?

edit: well I look like an idiot for not refreshing the page.

lord_lad

Banned
Platinum are making Nier 2 which is a PS4 Exclusive

Edit: beaten

i think in Nier 2's case....it's more to do with Square Enix's choice than Platinum...Platinum is just the 3rd party contractor here....

I will very much like Platinum to create an original 1st party exclusive for playstation. Heck...just give the Platinum guys an old playstation IP like Arc the Lad, Beyond the Beyond or jumping flash and let them run with it.!

antonz

Disney doesn't a fuck who Adam Boyes used to be roommates with. Disney is all about the Benjamins and Sony is comfortable enough this gen to spend them.

didn't Disney get Spiderman for the avengers movies for free from Sony, maybe its all linked and this was part of the deal as well?

Sony got to keep Spiderman
Disney get to use Spiderman free for the avengers
Sony gets Disney marketing rights for Disney games

Possible??

I surprised Disney went easy with Sony. You don't fuck around with Disney when it comes to license stuffs.

stryke

What beef are you talking about?

Platinum is a studio for hire. Have you ever thought of the possibility that maybe Sony just hasn't bothered to ask them to make a game for them?

I-hate-u

Meh, give that money to Capcom and Fromsoft.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Networking gets you in the door. You still need to negotiate the deal so that the other party thinks they are benefitting. That usually involves money :p

Being best bros isn't gonna fly with shareholders.

stryke

You guys are so naive. If business deals on TV shows have taught me anything, Boyes probably has some dirty secret on Vignocci and is using it as leverage.

Don't be fooled by that Boyes smile.

Bsigg12

You guys are so naive. If business deals on TV shows have taught me anything, Boyes probably has some dirty secret on Vignocci and is using it as leverage.

Don't be fooled by that Boyes smile.

He's just scared Johnny is going to out his cell phone number on a live stream.

sirap

If it was about money, Microsoft could match (and even exceed) whatever amount Sony was willing to put up. I believe it's mostly down to market share, and the relationships Sony has with key players.

Remember, despite the PS4's success, Sony as a whole isn't the powerhouse they used to be.

Adam Boyes is drinking buddies with half the people in the gaming industry, it seems. Dude seems like a cool cat.

I wouldn't mind drinking with him.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, Boyes and Capcoms Ono are good friends as well.

Adam Boyes was the former director of Production at Capcom USA.
He clearly knows a lot of people and is using his contacts to his advantage for the company he's working for now.

Max_Po

Banned
PS4 is what like 2 to 1 ... lead over xbox units sold..not that i care. ????

Its not money from SONY its market .... 3rd parties flock to the market leader... to make most money ...

dolabla

Well, a year before that they ported this to Vita for some odd reason:

vitabox-220x.jpg

And they also seemed to have a hand in Disney Infinity 2.0 coming to Vita, too.

Lol, I just received the Vita version in the mail today. Gonna try to get around to playing it.

I legit own a copy of that. Not the worst but not recommended unless you're just collecting to collect.

Yeah, that's actually pretty much what I'm doing. I've kind of been on a Vita physical copy buying spree lately. Trying to build my library up.

Mifune

Mehmber
What beef are you talking about?

Platinum is a studio for hire. Have you ever thought of the possibility that maybe Sony just hasn't bothered to ask them to make a game for them?

This is exactly it. All of Kamiya's exclusives were partnerships with Nintendo and now Microsoft. There just hasn't been a Sony one (yet). Kamiya has said in the past that he just makes the games, the publisher decides where they go.

th4tguy

Sony has been very active sending reps to different events to speak with developers about deals this gen. More so then Microsoft. Obviously Sony is paying to make some of these deals possible but their policies and willingness to help is what is winning companies over.

Aces&Eights

My uneducated guess would be that in addition to Boyles knowing Disney execs, Sony has Sony Pictures and has done quite a few movies with Disney in the past so they're is already a money making relationship there to expand on.

Hex

Banned
Sony must have won power ball or something to have all of this magical mystery money that they have been throwing around for all of these deals with developers.
I mean, it has to be money because so many in this thread have said so.

lord_lad

Banned
Sony must have won power ball or something to have all of this magical mystery money that they have been throwing around for all of these deals with developers.
I mean, it has to be money because so many in this thread have said so.

because the PS4 happened.

Top Bottom