• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF "Let's Watch Anime" OT: Now Watching: The Eccentric Family (8/18-9/1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

The Goal of the "Let's Watch Anime" thread is to bring together the anime community (even "casuals") to watch a lesser known anime series to discuss and share our reactions towards it at teh same time. We will have a new show selected to watch every two weeks and the genre will very greatly. The shows that will be selected will have met the below criteria:

- Any genre
- Lesser known titles (Not SAO, One Piece, Gintama, etc)
- Under 14 episodes total
- Not already aired on Toonami/Adult Swim
- The shows should try to avoid outrageous and/or sexually offensive themes
- Shows can be underrated and good, or could be trash; let's find out together
- Recommendations are always accepted
- Let's have FUN with this!

Next up:
The Eccentric Family

jb0LdsvUKWqlIk.png

tumblr_inline_n8g1zrlxAd1qfh0ew.gif

Genres:
Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Slice of Life

MAL info:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/17909/Uchouten_Kazoku

*Plot/Synopsis:
In modern day Kyoto, humans live in the city, while Tanuki roam the earth and Tengu, the sky. The story surrounds a family of Japanese tanuki, the Shimogamo family. These tanuki have the ability to transform into anything they wish. They can change into normal members of human society or any animate/inanimate object. The third son, Yasaburo, enjoys a bustling daily life. He often visits Akadama-sensei, a tengu. Through him, Yasaburo is acquainted with Benten (Satomi Suzuki) , a woman whom Akadama taught to fly like a tengu. As the story unfolds, the members of the Shimogamo family are still dealing with the foggy past that surrounds their father's untimely death prior to the series start. What more is that Benten is a member of a social group called "the Friday Fellows" who enjoy a meal of tanuki hot pot at the end of the year. So they must balance between living carelessly, maintaining relationships among other tanuki families, and not getting put into a hot pot by the Friday Fellows.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eccentric_Family

Available on Crunchyroll & Hulu:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/the-eccentric-family?utm_source=android&utm_campaign=socialshare

The Eccentric Family on Hulu! http://hulu.com/s/fgi

Open ep.1-12

Episode 13 opens:
12:00am 8/30.

Prior “Let’s Watch Anime” sessions:
#1- Humanity Has Declined:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1090173

Required ToS Footnote and reminder:
Please see the warning on page 1 of the Anime OT, that still applies here. It's simple; Don't talk about it or promote it...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073417

This has been happening frequently enough lately that I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder: solicitation, discussion, and linking of pirated material is prohibited. This includes illegal streams, torrents, aggregators, fansub & sub group discussion, links to websites containing entire anime soundtrack albums magically for free, etc. Use common sense here. Discussion of legal, ethical, and economic implications of piracy is okay.
Basically, the section on piracy & copyrighted material in the Terms of Service applies here to anime as well.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
YES YES YES

A show I've been meaning to watch eventually and I've got the time to watch an episode once every two days. Very good.

faridmon

Great, A show I have only watched the first episode of it and just dropped it due to it.... being weird. Having talked to my sister about it, I had the intention of watching it.

Now I can watch it with you guys
and complain abut its weird style and terrible first episode
:p

It's not the first and won't be the last, lol. I checked a bunch of the artwork online for the show and that's a pretty consistant feature, lol.

Looks kinda bad to be honest, especially with the main character(?) in the middle. Eh, I'm sure it will grow on me.

Edit: People seem to like this show, cool, I'm excited.

Yomidi

Another anime I've been planning to watch. From the reactions it looks like it's pretty good.

I think we should extend the "Under 14 episodes" rule to "Under 24/26 episodes total", since that still isn't too long and we would have a bigger variety of titles we could watch.

Cornbread78

think we should extend the "Under 14 episodes" rule to "Under 24/26 episodes total", since that still isn't too long and we would have a bigger variety of titles we could watch.

We can look at this if we find a really good series that we all want to watch, we would just extend the time frame to watch it by a week or so.

Next session we will be going with somethig more action/adventure/mystery/mindfuck/horror related. The leading candidate would be something like Another.

Droplet

Visually this show is quite a treat. It's also got a lot of great moments in the writing, even if the ending
was a massive fucking backpeddle

Next session we will be going with somethig more action/adventure/mystery/mindfuck/horror related. The leading candidate would be something like Another.

Loool I marathoned this with my friends. The last 3 episodes were the stuff comedy wishes it could be.

Episode 1

Meh, not really blown away by this first episode, I'll keep watching though since people were pretty stoked about this show.

I don't understand why the characters are looking the way they are, it's pretty bad and looks super boring, especially compared to the nice backgrounds in the show, it's just odd.
FaIWZL8.png

It's a shame that the main character doesn't utilize his transformation much in this first episode, It would be cool if he had a different hairstyle every other scene or something, now it's just a choice between boy or a girl, where the latter only seems to be used for fanservice and some gags, maybe it's going to be more interesting later on.

Anyhow, the confident woman with the pink/purple hair was my favorite character of the bunch, the rest hasn't hooked me yet, next episode could change it though.

I also have no idea what's supposed to be going on, like what everyone's relation to eachother is, I won't remember all these names that are flung around.

OP sucks, ED sucks a bit less.

The Eccentric Family 01

The OP is pretty good. The ED is whatever.

Interesting first episode. The show looks really good with nice fluid animation, pretty backgrounds, etc. The character designs are somewhat odd, though. I don't really know what's going on, I suppose that's fine for the first episode.

I hope the next episode which looks like the introduction of all the characters will hook me.

Line_HTX

I apologize for missing out on the last watch, I was busy with other things. Eccentric Family looks very interesting and looks like something to sit and relax with a beer.

Another, huh? Maybe save that during the month of October lol.

Cornbread78

I apologize for missing out on the last watch, I was busy with other things. Eccentric Family looks very interesting and looks like something to sit and relax with a beer.

Another, huh? Maybe save that during the month of October lol.

Good idea, a Holloween special, lol.

Need to find something for the next one that is a little more action/ adventure/ crazy based that isn't overly know about/watched.

Cool idea for a thread.

Thanks, the stuff we choose, while may included a little craziness once in awhile, should be mostly free from extreme fanservice/loli/tentacle rape kinda crap.

Linkark07

Banned
Wanted to watch, guess now it is the perfect opportunity.

Edit: after watching the first episode, still dunno if I will like it or not. Guess I must continue watching it and see if it will grow on me.

this first episode had it's moments,

i really like the characters interacting with each other and i think that finding out the relations between them will be the main point of this show. this episode had some nice backgrounds and even though the noses bothered me in the image in the OP in motion i don't really notice it, but when the characters turn and they go from a regular nose to the 2 dots i just can't get over it.

i feel like i should look up some information about tengu to know more about the characters, because from this episode i only got that they can fly but nothing more and i'm wondering what more they can do and what the're personality generally is about. i know some basic things from tunukis from other shows like gugure kokkuri san in that they can transform and like to trick people with for example getting them things they want and it being a worthless leaf.

i didn't really like the humor of the boy dressing as a girl and i hope that the show doesn't rely on that too much. i hope that we get allot more details about the characters and that the interactions can hold up this show.

but like with the last show i hope that the comedy side of this grows on me.

Yomidi

Episode 1

The first episode didn't really do anything for me. The artstyle is nice but I really don't like the character design, especially the noses. And I hope the transformation is used more creatively and not just for fanservice.
Well, I hope it gets better.

You mean that part when he shrinks his boobs?

Or the part where the only reason why he's a girl is to please his master, and the scene at the start with his/her brother.

-----------------------------------

I'm going to post our official mascot here since it's only shown in the AnimeGAF thread, thanks to Mailbox for making it!

mhayes86

Loved this show when it first aired on Crunchyroll back in 2013, but was a bit disappointed by how short it was. I think it might be time to rewatch it!

LogicStep

Watched the first 2 eps last night. I like the art style, looks very nice. Kind of lost as to what is going on but it's entertaining. Still don't understand how
the human girl is flying around

Watched the first 2 eps last night. I like the art style, looks very nice. Kind of lost as to what is going on but it's entertaining. Still don't understand how
the human girl is flying around

It's magic.

It's a universe where there are mythological sentient animals can talk, I don't know why it's a surprise :p.

More exactly, my personal theory is less magic in the style of Harry Potter and more inspired in
myth and fables where people save a bird who actually was a magical bird and could talk, and thanks to that the bird can communicate the "secret" of flight, as their reward. It's fable logic, and you will do well to remember that source of inspiration when some characters do weird or illogical shit.
These fables were inspired in real world beliefs, as some people in ancient times believed in magic as "natural stuff" but you had to have the secret knowledge to do it in the first place, knowledge that happened to be in hands of monsters, magical creatures, oracles, shamans, etc. "Demon summoning" for example was based on the idea that they could tell you the secrets of magic/the natural world.

Cornbread78

Love it when the first thing you see is a cross dressing boy that is actually a tanuki.; nice form to take as a human, we are all maidens at heart, lol. Aside from that you have flying people as well. I kinda dig the art style they are using for it. It's definately not the norm and is rough around the edges, but it's actually pleasant to see in motion.

Linkark07

Banned
Love it when the first thing you see is a cross dressing boy that is actually a tanuki.; nice form to take as a human, we are all maidens at heart, lol. Aside from that you have flying people as well. I kinda dig the art style they are using for it. It's definately not the norm and is rough around the edges, but it's actually pleasant to see in motion.

I'm still not accustomed to the art style, especially their ears.

Episode 2, the part that I liked the most was when the second brother (or first? Who is the first one, him or the frog?) appeared and threw the guys that were bullying the youngest brother.

I'm starting to like it, just need to warm up a little more.

Episode 2

sv99g6A.jpg

Good Backgrounds: The Animation

Man, I hope they'll trim down the opening segment of this show down a bit, it's almost 2,5 minutes long.

Anyhow, it's nice to see that he's using his doppelganger powers cleverly, but I wouldn't expect any less from a show which has a Tanuki as their main character. The tanuki powers also allow the show to bring other creatures in the fray, neat.

I really don't understand why it's normal for Tanuki's to be killed, it seems super odd that sentient creatures can just be killed for no reason, especially when humans and Tanuki were apparently doing pretty well living with eachother.

Still haven't really warmed up to any of the characters or something, tbf I also don't see a lot of potential in them at this moment.

LogicStep

It's magic.

It's a universe where there are mythological sentient animals can talk, I don't know why it's a surprise :p.

More exactly, my personal theory is less magic in the style of Harry Potter and more inspired in
myth and fables where people save a bird who actually was a magical bird and could talk, and thanks to that the bird can communicate the "secret" of flight, as their reward. It's fable logic, and you will do well to remember that source of inspiration when some characters do weird or illogical shit.
These fables were inspired in real world beliefs, as some people in ancient times believed in magic as "natural stuff" but you had to have the secret knowledge to do it in the first place, knowledge that happened to be in hands of monsters, magical creatures, oracles, shamans, etc. "Demon summoning" for example was based on the idea that they could tell you the secrets of magic/the natural world.

Hmmm, I guess that makes sense. Since from the start the say Tengu can fly and Tanuki can shape shift I didn't think of what you said as possible.

Cornbread78

I finally found where this gif came from, lol

tumblr_mstrg52e9z1rjxik4o1_r1_500.gif

This was going to go into the OP, but I held off and added the cute tanuki's instead. Episode 2 was pretty good. I got a great laugh out of the giant cat statue brothers that were harassing the little brother getting beat up by big bro. The bite to the balls and the flying tanuki were fuuny stuff.. Also a little back story at the and the crying tanuki babies was pretty sad..

so like i said in my thoughts on episode 1 i did some google research on tengu and found out that there just human shaped bird things with long noses and that the fan that got pierced with the arrow somehow is important because they can shrink there big noses (like the old man) and create winds with them. so the purple haired lady is also a tengu and that is why she can fly and doesn't have a giant nose. also it was kind of fun to find out that the red big nose masks that i already saw a bunch of times comes from them.

this episode was kind of boring, i liked the dialogue in the fist episode and some of it in this one but i think that it is going to get old pretty soon. the jokes in this episode like the ball and butt chomp didn't do it for me just like the boob shrink in the previous episode.

i hope that this show gets better

Yomidi

Episode 2

This was a bit better. The new characters seems fun(especially the frog) and there were some funny moments.

I wonder if there is a limit to the number of different forms they can take.

I don't think the OG Japenese folklore Tanuki's had this limitation but who knows if the show exactly follows them, they already removed the best part of them.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom