• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF "Let's Watch Anime" OT: Now Watching: The Eccentric Family (8/18-9/1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some background information for the show since some people seemed confused since its heavily based on Japanese myth and folklore. I'll put it in spoiler tags though this is just minor background info that isn't really brought up in the show it self it is in the novel the show is based on.

Normal humans don't know about the existence of Tengu or that Tanuki can shapeshift. In fact Benten is the only human in the show that knows of their existence. Tanuki are real animals native to Japan and were eaten traditionally in the past but is extremely rare now a days. Generally only in certain regions and on special occasions will you see Tanuki on the menu.

The Friday Fellows, including Benten, are just normal humans, that have family roots that go way back or are well know and respected on Kyoto. Everyone in it is given a nickname referring to a god or goddess. Benten, for example, refers to Benzaiten. The Friday fellows is basically just a social club for well respected Kyotoites that gets drunk on Fridays. No one in it, with the exception of Benten, has any idea about the supernatural stuff going on. The reason they have Tanuki Hot Pot every year is just for tradition.

The reason Benten knows about this stuff and can use magic is that she was kidnapped as a young girl by Professor Akadama and he raised her and taught her Tengu Magic. You can see this in the ED at the end of an episode

Hope that clears some things up.

dluu13

Some background information for the show since some people seemed confused since its heavily based on Japanese myth and folklore. I'll put it in spoiler tags though this is just minor background info that isn't really brought up in the show it self it is in the novel the show is based on.

Normal humans don't know about the existence of Tengu or that Tanuki can shapeshift. In fact Benten is the only human in the show that knows of their existence. Tanuki are real animals native to Japan and were eaten traditionally in the past but is extremely rare now a days. Generally only in certain regions and on special occasions will you see Tanuki on the menu.

The Friday Fellows, including Benten, are just normal humans, that have family roots that go way back or are well know and respected on Kyoto. Everyone in it is given a nickname referring to a god or goddess. Benten, for example, refers to Benzaiten. The Friday fellows is basically just a social club for well respected Kyotoites that gets drunk on Fridays. No one in it, with the exception of Benten, has any idea about the supernatural stuff going on. The reason they have Tanuki Hot Pot every year is just for tradition.

The reason Benten knows about this stuff and can use magic is that she was kidnapped as a young girl by Professor Akadama and he raised her and taught her Tengu Magic. You can see this in the ED at the end of an episode

Holy crap, that does clear things up.

Cornbread78

That makes a lot of sense when you think about it. This is why they are always transformed when meeting humans.

Good info.

Didn't that old dude who hung out with Yasuboro and Benten know though? Did he just not question that Benten can fly or that Yasuboro can shapeshift?

Didn't that old dude who hung out with Yasuboro and Benten know though? Did he just not question that Benten can fly or that Yasuboro can shapeshift?
He was drunk as shit. In this series alcohol has magical properties that make you accept any crazy thing that happens and immediately forget it the next day lol

but why does the guy from the friday fellas that loves tunuki not question why benten can fly when the MC has to entertain them, does he just think she is really arhlatic? and why does he ask if the MC is a tunuki after the preformance? i assume it is because he assumes he shapeshifts instead of some ordinary magic show.

Yomidi

Episode 10

Well, things get intense. While I didn't think Benten was a nice girl, I didn't expect her to be so evil. Looking forward to see where all of this goes.

Yeah, now the story makes much more sense.

Yomidi

Episode 11

Back in the game!
Another really good episode. The characters really warmed up to me....maybe except the younger brother, he's a bit boring.
The wallpaper CGI was really creepy.

dluu13

EP 11

Damn I don't like shows with too much tension

But there is no turning back now I'm trapped until I finish the show

Cornbread78

Damn, an hour early, but there is too much going on! I'll wait on the finale until tomorrow, but these last few episodes have been intense!

The frog bro is out of the well, the train ride, the crash, more Benten again... my goodness,
waiting on this last episode is tough. The show isn't what I expected it to be at all, when in fact, it has superceded them a lot!

Yomidi

Episode 12

What a climax. Another great episode, the frog brother gets out of the well and we get an amazing scene with the train ride. Really excited to see how all this ends, next episode will be fun with the humans, the tanukis and the tengus all next to each other.

Yomidi

Episode 13

Great finale. It was nice to see the old guy(can't remember any of the characters names of this show lol) save the Mother and the Professor going berserk was a lot of fun. I found funny that at the end they play with the two brothers even if they basically tried to kill them.

While it started weak, it got really good. The characters were all really good and the final climax was great. I admit that I still don't like the character design that much, but the background are beautiful.

I don't know if I like this or Humanity Has Declined more, they both had some weak parts(the robot arc for Humanity and the first few episodes for The Eccentric Family), but when they were good, they were really good. So yeah, I'm glad I watched both of these series.

Linkark07

Banned
This is another anime which starts slow and ends with a good note. This last episode was quite funny, especially when the Professor was drunk and mad.

Overall, I give this a 8/10. Besides Benten, the main characters weren't memorable but likable. The slow start almost made me drop this one but with patience it gets better.

I definitely liked this more then humanity has declined. They were both good looking shows though. Last few episodes of Eccentric Family were really great, had a lot of good character arcs coming to fruition.

dluu13

This is another anime which starts slow and ends with a good note. This last episode was quite funny, especially when the Professor was drunk and mad.

Overall, I give this a 8/10. Besides Benten, the main characters weren't memorable but likable. The slow start almost made me drop this one but with patience it gets better.

When I told my friend I was watching this, he told me he dropped it half way. If it wasn't for GAF watching it, I probably would have dropped it as well but I'm glad I stuck with it. I'll be watching episode 13 later tonight.

Cornbread78

Damn, what an ending to this families tale. Yasaburo never did get to actually see Kasei to the end, and I guess nothing was settled there with his frog brother either. However, Benten came through snd was great in the end. I'm so glad I stuck with this show to end end since it was a really well written story through the end. I just wish they explained some of the lore better at the beginning.

Cornbread78

Up next: I'm putting the thread together now:

Check out what I'm watching on Crunchyroll!
http://www.crunchyroll.com/sunday-without-god?utm_source=android&utm_campaign=socialshare

Sunday Without God on Hulu
Check out Sunday Without God on Hulu!
http://hulu.com/s/ekt

Watch "[Anime Opening] Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi - Birth" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/S7XjBAY49XU

d4e0f7bb37eb53e7c79a355c948d665b1373186751_full.jpg

http://www.crunchyroll.com/sunday-without-god?utm_source=android&utm_campaign=socialshare

Cool, I didn't have the time finish the Eccentric Family with you guys so I'll probably watch it on my own, looking forward to this one, the premise looks interesting.

Linkark07

Banned

According to my list, I only watched the first six episodes. Gonna join you when you guys have finished the first half.

so i wen't back to this because i had nothing better to do and here are my thoughts on the episodes i watched,

ep8.

i didn't like this one at the beginning and even had to get back at it after the video crashed and i couldn't be bothered to reload the page, i didn't like the first 9 minutes because i didn't like the drama of the brother having been responsible for his fathers death. i just can't connect with the family drama. but i watched the latter half of it just now and i liked the end of the episode. i liked the conversation between the dad and the professor.

ep9

i thought i would like the fiance character but she just turned out to be a tsundere, but maybe she will become more interesting when she gets more screen time. i don't know what the electricity hands of the youngest brother means but i guess it will be important later.

i'm planning on watching the rest of this show if i can't sleep tonight but i'm tired right now so i will stop for today, maybe i will edit some more episodes in later. i do intent to complete this show and then go on with sunday without god at the pace of the new thread. i know ep 10 and 11 are supposed to be great so i'm looking forward to it

Cornbread78

so i wen't back to this because i had nothing better to do and here are my thoughts on the episodes i watched,

ep8.

i didn't like this one at the beginning and even had to get back at it after the video crashed and i couldn't be bothered to reload the page, i didn't like the first 9 minutes because i didn't like the drama of the brother having been responsible for his fathers death. i just can't connect with the family drama. but i watched the latter half of it just now and i liked the end of the episode. i liked the conversation between the dad and the professor.

ep9

i thought i would like the fiance character but she just turned out to be a tsundere, but maybe she will become more interesting when she gets more screen time. i don't know what the electricity hands of the youngest brother means but i guess it will be important later.

i'm planning on watching the rest of this show if i can't sleep tonight but i'm tired right now so i will stop for today, maybe i will edit some more episodes in later. i do intent to complete this show and then go on with sunday without god at the pace of the new thread. i know ep 10 and 11 are supposed to be great so i'm looking forward to it

Yeah, the next three episodes are excellent!

so i couldn't sleep and i watched ep 10 and 11, at the beginning of the episode i thought it would just be the little brother that would be eaten by the friday fellas but its nice to see hin stepping his game up. even though that is also quite by the book. i also liked the detail of the older brother sitting in the cage like his father. i hope i can sleep now and will watch ep 12 and 13 tomorrow along with sunday without god.

EDIT so i finally finished it and i've got to say it was a pretty meh show in my opinion. i like the idea behind it and like the story but somehow the execution just doesn't hold up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom