• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's "Let's Watch Anime" OT14: Now Watching- The Tatami Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

kGttFH5.jpg

The Goal of the "Let's Watch Anime" thread is to bring together "AnimeGAF" with other members who can appreciate anime (yes, even "casuals") to watch a series together, then discuss and share our reactions towards it at the same time. Participation in each episode is appreciated, but playing “catch-up” by watching multiple episodes at once is normal as everyone has different responsibilities/time to watch anime. Just don’t post on future episodes unspoilered! The more posting about the series and it's events, the more beneficial it is to everyone, so please post up on the good, the bad and the awful; We are all in this together! (no hiding lurkers) We will have a new show selected to watch every two/three weeks and the genre will vary greatly. The shows that will be selected will have met the below criteria:

- Any genre
- Lesser known titles (Dragonball Z, One Piece, Gintama, etc)
- Not already aired on Toonami/Adult Swim
- The shows should try to avoid outrageous and/or sexually offensive themes
- Shows could be good, bad or possibly trash; let's find out together
- Recommendations are always welcomed and appreciated for future viewing
- Let's have FUN with this together! Please participate in the review and discussion!

With that being said, It's time for an adventure, so here we go:

a5NUeKz.png

0S8csSC.gif

Synopsis:

One autumn evening at a mysterious ramen stand behind the Shimogamo Shrine, a lonely third-year college student bumps into a man with an eggplant-shaped head who calls himself a god of matrimony. Meeting this man causes the student to reflect upon his past two years at college—two years bitterly spent trying to break up couples on campus with his only friend Ozu, a ghoulish-looking man seemingly set on making his life as miserable as possible. Resolving to make the most out of the rest of his college life, the student attempts to ask out the unsociable but kind-hearted underclassman Akashi, yet fails to follow through, prompting him to regret not living out his college life differently. As soon as this thought passes through his head, however, he is hurtled through time and space to the beginning of his years at college and given another chance to live his life.

Surreal, artistic, and mind-bending, Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei chronicles the misadventures of a young man on a journey to make friends, find love, and experience the rose-colored campus life he always dreamed of.

Episodes: 11
Originally Aired: Apr 23, 2010 to Jul 2, 2010
Licensors: FUNimation Entertainment
Studios: Madhouse
Source: Novel
Genres: Mystery, Psychological, Romance
Duration: 23 min. per ep.
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

MAL Link:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/7785/Yojouhan_Shinwa_Taikei?q=tatami ga

Available for streaming via Funimation:

Links:
Funimation:
http://www.funimation.com/shows/the-tatami-galaxy/home

*Episodes are set for viewing “one a day” over the next three weeks so we can try to stay together*

A new episode "opens" for discussion each day at 12 am PST:

Open Episodes: All

Episode 9 opens: 9/28 @ 12am PST
Episode 10 opens: 9/29 @ 12am PST
Episode 11 opens: 9/30 @ 12am PST (END)

Each following episode opens daily for discussion at 12am PST

Reviews:

I don't mean to get deep and definitely not right off the bat, but it's pretty true that small events can change the course of your life whether you're aware or not and that is what Yojou-han Shinwa Taikei (or the 4.5 Tatami Mat Galaxy) is all about. Sure it's also about pleasing your Johnny, hijacking blimps, engaging in prank wars, being ripped off by fortune tellers, joining the local power ranger squad, and eating cats and castella, but that's all trivial.

I think I'm not in the wrong here when I say most of us have probably thought of the best way to live life at one time or another. That can mean what you want to be when you grow up, your dreams, ambitions, goals, what path you want to take, and what you envision it ending up life.
Tatami Galaxy's unnamed protagonist is one concerned with exactly that. In seek of that ideal life, he desperately repeats the first 2 years of his college life , searching for the "rose-colored campus life", and the "raven-haired maiden" that supposedly awaits him.

From time to time, I desire a show that will deliver a simple and grounded in reality plot in an unorthodox way with great success. Yes, you should already understand that Tatami Galaxy holds no need for superficial or amazing concepts to be successful, just a realistic story executed in a masterful way.

Come join me Friends!

JAnO9QB.gif

Previous “Let’s Watch Anime” shows:

Humanity Has Declined, Eccentric Family, Sunday Without God, Samurai Flemanco, Blast of Tempest, Kyousougiga, Kids on the Slope, Mirai Nikki, Rosen Maiden, Code: Breaker (literally broke let's watch, lol) Servant x Service, Mazinger Z, and most recently, Moribito; Guardian of the Spirit

Link to the anime Community thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1241677

*Required ToS Footnote and reminder*

It's simple; Don't talk about it or promote it...

look at GAF-chan’s words of advice:
LVHG7iP.png

phaze

Might even rewatch if time is merciful, it's been a while.

----

Also, warning to not get discouraged by the barrage of words, words, words spewed at you with the speed of machine gun at the beginning, it's only like that in the first or first two eps

I haven't watched anime in a while and I've never done one of these threads but I love this show so much that I think I'll go through it again.

Thud

Definitely something I want to watch, although it might be hard to limit myself to one ep at a time.

I'll see how it goes.

I'm not speaking lightly when i say this has to be one of the best things ever put to TV. This is the reason why folks were excited for Ping Pong.

Cornbread78

tumblr_n9fy1vhjmH1qh6swzo1_500.gif

That was pretty damn good with a great mix of comedy and intrigue. The artwork is out of this world and really stands out with it's crazy coloring and unique style. The OP and ED's are pretty good as well! The text sure does really fly by at times, probably the quickest I've witnessed since *Monogatari. Thankfully, it slows down at times and I've heard it only does that in select scenes moving forward. Overall, that was a pretty good intro to the series and I'm looking forward to seeing more as the clock has turned back now!

Chase17

Episode 1
Pretty good. Text was hard to keep up with at times. Characters are interesting, and looking forward to see where it goes from here. Although the ending made it seem like it's going back in time (oh that is what is happening, didn't read the synopsis before).

Opening is amazing.

Liked the "that went well"

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I loved that show. I might try to rewatch it with you guys if I have the time.

The fast way of speaking takes an episode or so to get used to but after that it's fine.

Tatami #1

When I started this episode, I was about to start drinking my coffee..then the guy started talking, I then said fuck I need to concentrate :O

All in all I liked it, it was really pretty.I now realise that having English as my second language here might make it hard for me too follow, I'm not reading fast enough lol.

Episode 1
Jeez, the talking really is starting at a mile a minute.
This is alright so far. It's visually interesting, but I can't say I'm a fan of the characters so far. I didn't expect the trigger for the MC's time rewinding the be him being thrown off a bridge, as opposed to Ozu somehow ending up with Akashi.

Cornbread78

Oh man, this dude is dense as hell! How can he screw up so many things. Although, that alternate movie he screened for the audience was friggen hilarious stuff!

Sounds like the goal posts have moved now though... The first time he has to bring her out for Ramon and failed and this tie he had to finish a movie for her and failed... Does the endgame change each time?

phaze

Curious on how they'll follow up on a few little things from this episode. Either don't remember it or just didn't even notice it.

Random trivia time, the fortune teller lady is real and based indeed in Kyoto.

Tatami #2

Really liking the visuals and the way the story goes forward. Am I suppose to believe we will rewind every time he doesn't keep his promise?

blakep267

Initially I really liked the Show. Then about 4 eps I that all went out the window when I realized that it was essentially telling the same story over and over again each episode and I started to get bored . Left me disappointed

Thud

Had to catch up a bit. My thoughts:

Episode 1

Well that was something.

Dat inner monologue speed. The distinct artstyle coupled with some of those surreal depictions is amazing Ozu is a real brat here tho. Akashi, chindude and that fortuneteller are interesting to say the least.

Episode 2

Slowed down a bit. Visual style improved and it has some great shots. Wow the hitler comparison. Never let a perverted gorilla make movies, check.

I kinda hope what stays constant changes over time. The same outcome and similar conversations could make or break the anime. Depends on how well it's excuted.

Also like the feel of the OP and ED in this show. Off to a good start. Below are some screenshots I took from the first two episodes:

Cornbread78

3iIHTwA.png

kY7yaDW.jpg

gaiVFna.jpg

I love the multiple variations of art style as each episode goes by and the whole "Groundhog Day" effect has not grown old at all since the content of each episode is completely different so it doesn't get stale. I mean, this poor bastard just can't catch a break regardless what he does, lol. and he always has his "faithful" sidekick there to screw him over and best him every time!

This is good stuff!

Cornbread78

IuRKFui.png

Man, Ozu is a pain to deal with, lol. This was more of a men's club episode with a nice long prank war going on, lol. This dude is never really going to get it together, even though he can sense things are repeating, like with the fortune teller, lol. Poor guy.

Thud

Episode 3 &4

I'm liking it more and more. Lots of ideas mixed with different styles and pretty colors. It distinguishes the episodes from each other and recurrent themes fit in the same style. Such as the fortuneteller scene has that distinct vibe.

Ozu continues to be the worst. Maybe this will change during the show, but so far it's pretty constant. Master Higuchi and Akashi are the best.

The episodes are starting to become more episodic with some foreshadowing. As an example the birdman circle has been referenced in the first episode. Anyway a few pics to seal this post:

Tatami Galaxy 3-5

So I finally took the time to almost catch up, but sadly the more I watch the more I am heh on it. I'm not a fan of how characters interact and how it constantly loop. Also I don't have this one more feeling at all.

I'm trying to figure out if they are some hidden message I'm not getting, but I don't think so.

I tried to come in with an open mind, but it's just not my kind of stuff it seems. I'll probably finish it tho or try too. It will be my exercise anime.

Cornbread78

tatami0611.png

Ahahahahaha.. Poor little Johnny! That "take me home" part had me rolling with all the internal monologue and debate. The symbolism with the key going in and everything else going on was great.. I needed a good laugh and this episode produced ut in spades!

Thud

Episode 5

That escalated quickly. Kid can't catch a break. The ramen guy knows more than you would expect.

I think it was interesting to see things mingle some more in the story, with some foresshadowing perhaps. Suspecting that the maincharacter is trapped in his room somehow.

Cornbread78

Lololol. He choose Kaori, the love doll this time. What a moron. The "little Johnny" bits were hilarious again, especially the ending.

Fell behind again.

Episode 2 - Movie Club
So, with the time rewinding, the hero doesn't actually remember anything. I'm surprised he was actually able to complete films with Ozu, even if they weren't liked. Ozu and Higuchi having a connection seems suspicious. Unlike the first episode, there's no dramatic conclusion to these two years.

Episode 3 - Cycling Club
Jeez, it must suck getting your bike stolen like that. After seeing the outcome of the race, yeah, Ozu and Higuchi are definitely screwing around with him. Since that Birdman club thing is being covered here, I guess it won't get its own episode. I didn't expect the movie director to show up again. Should have figured the MC would forget about the fact that the Birdman club wanted him to stay the same. I don't think I like Ozu very explicitly acting to dick over the MC. And now we're getting an explicit rewinding scene.

Episode 4 - Disciples Wanted
Odd that episode 4 already had the MC getting involved with Higuchi and Ozu right from the start. I don't know, I wasn't a fan of this episode. It's too disconnected from the typical college experience. I suppose that makes sense with the MC being expelled in this timeline. I wonder if Higuchi will be absent for a few episodes for his journey.

Episode 5 - Softball Club
Honestly, I'm not really paying attention to this episode either. Perhaps this show just isn't good for watching a bunch in a row, but also the softball club cult thing is a bit out there. Well, I guess Higuchi is still here.

Cikay

Masaaki Yuasa is one of the Gods of anime. I've already seen Tatami Galaxy several times, it's one of my favorite. Everyone, watch this !

EdmondD

Yuasa is my favorite anime director. He is absolutely brilliant. Not too long ago I went on a Yuasa bender and decided to rewatch a bunch of his stuff. Watched Kemonozume, Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong. Kaiba is my all time favorite Yuasa and Ping Pong my second favorite. Hope people enjoy this and check out his other stuff

Cornbread78

Yuasa is my favorite anime director. He is absolutely brilliant. Not too long ago I went on a Yuasa bender and decided to rewatch a bunch of his stuff. Watched Kemonozume, Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong. Kaiba is my all time favorite Yuasa and Ping Pong my second favorite. Hope people enjoy this and check out his other stuff

Kaiba was pretty good, albeit really strange, lol

Wait you watched Moribito without me?

Goddammit.

Yeah, Moribito was the last one we did and
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo will start next week.

Cornbread78

Ozu you bastard! Keiko was a fake the whole time and he got duped falling for a fake pen pal, lol.

So all three girls the past few episodes are a dead end for our boy.... I wonder how he will get to the endgame Akashi..

phaze

#4-5
020065bskt1.jpg
020099j9kln.jpg
02007978k8a.jpg

Forgot how much of a looker this show is.

It's with some surprise that I'm reminded that even here the show already tries to make the repetition more edible by having Watashi already be aware of his need for something different and by slowly woving in the continuous plot threads that will be picked up on later.

Will try to catch up today. I remember the the mini arc with three girl choices having some of my favorite moments.

Thud

Episode 6-8

Nice recurring theme going on here. Johnny's bizarre adventure lol.

Things seem to mix well with previous episodes. Main character just can't catch a break. The best part was the old fortune lady that just stole his money and runs off in the rain.

And this happened:

E2WfT1Y.jpg

Licking drunk dentist.

Cornbread78

Episode 6-8

Nice recurring theme going on here. Johnny's bizarre adventure lol.

Things seem to mix well with previous episodes. Main character just can't catch a break. The best part was the old fortune lady that just stole his money and runs off in the rain.

And this happened:

Little Johnny was sooo angry at him for this one, lolol

phaze

Tatami Galaxy 06

John is on some truly Texhnolyze levels of suffering. This remains one of my favourite episode of the series. Yuasa's imaginative touches - lines of english shooting out of character mouths during the lessons, the storyboarding during the drinking game, or the entire sexual annuendo during the decisive scenes, add so much flavour to the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom